newfi1946moose 16-Feb-19
grape 17-Feb-19
ELKMAN 17-Feb-19
Birddog 17-Feb-19
PECO 17-Feb-19
badbull 17-Feb-19
elkmtngear 17-Feb-19
15-Feb-19
What is the single most important factor in deciding what hunt you apply for or in choosing an OTC hunt? I know this is a simplistic question but if you narrowed it down to just one thing, what would it be?

15-Feb-19
Can I afford it

15-Feb-19
Ability to draw the tag, amount of public land, hunter density, population estimates, and success rates. In that order.

15-Feb-19
Hunter Density

15-Feb-19
Who's going with

15-Feb-19
1.) Can I draw the tag. 2.) Can I afford it. 3.) Hunting pressure. 4.) Success rate. 5.) Can I go DIY or have to be guided.

15-Feb-19
For me, what are the season dates.

15-Feb-19
Projected amount of fun.

15-Feb-19
Only if the gas for my vehicle is the highest cost of the hunt.

15-Feb-19
Is this going to be a great time.

15-Feb-19
Am I physically and mentally prepared.

15-Feb-19
The quality of the hunt: as measured in trophy potential, number of animals, pressure, and scenery, in contrast to the difficulty of obtaining the tag. Every tag has a ratio of quality:ease/difficulty of drawing and so I'm constantly seeking the best ratio that's out there, which, IMO, is often times not the very best tag a state has to offer and infrequently is an OTC tag and some states have almost universally poor ratios so sometimes you have to take what you can get or abandon the idea of hunting that specie in that state.

The second thing I look at is the ratio of how much it's going to cost me to have a chance (ie: apply for X amount of years and purchase the tag) against my actual chance of drawing. In a few cases, you're better off putting in for the state's conservation raffle tags or other state's conservation raffles for the same specie than you are applying in the actual draw if you're getting into the points race on/after 2010.

15-Feb-19
Can I talk Coach into givin' me the magic card.......

15-Feb-19
Good answer APauls. Last hunt away from home was a January longbow hunt for coastal deer on Texada island B.C. several years ago. Pretty sure Saskatchewan fawns are bigger than a full growed deer there but had a blast. I missed a gimme shot on a deer I snuck up on in the rain in a stand of gigantic cedars and my buddy killed a delicious young buck with his recurve. I loved every minute of it and hope to get back there.

15-Feb-19
15-Feb-19
2 things, whether I can afford it and who I might go with!

15-Feb-19
What animal I want to hunt...

15-Feb-19
Season dates and what area.

15-Feb-19
Not sure I understand the question, especially when looking at the responses. The first thing I look at is what species I want to hunt. Some hunts I would classify as special, and others as common. If it's only elk, what might be important would be different than, say, a bison hunt. I've killed a lot of elk, but never hunted bison. After that, the type of hunt would dictate what is next in importance. All hunts are fun, but some are more utilitarian (filling the freezer) and some are real adventures.

15-Feb-19
Percentage of hunters the past two years that have taken a shot at the target animal.

15-Feb-19
To keep it short, what APauls said.

15-Feb-19
Animal!

15-Feb-19
If a hunting show video crew will be in the same camp! :)

15-Feb-19
Time.

For elk, deer, antelope, bear etc I can hunt them after work and on weekends.

For some of the tough draws or guided hunts, can I afford to take off the time to do it?

Have had to quit a few jobs to be able to hunt a special tags...

And a few girlfriends.

15-Feb-19
Who I might go with is the first and most important.

15-Feb-19
Access to public land.

15-Feb-19
are there enough un-pressured trophy class animals accessible to hunt.

15-Feb-19
(1) age factor and the immediate availability to hunt a desired animal (2) physical ability to hunt the desired species (3) proper equipment setup to hunt the desired species

16-Feb-19
This might sound completely stupid, but I always ask myself, "If that's the only hunt that I get to go on for the year, would I be satisfied?" If yes, then apply. If no, then I probably have a better use for my time/effort.

And it's not that there are a bunch of hunts that I'm totally uninterested in, just some that I wouldn't sacrifice the rest of my season for.

16-Feb-19
How time do I have to spend, and what are the kids hunting!

16-Feb-19
# of tags

16-Feb-19
Experience/knowledge of the unit and/or the opportunity to go scouting to get to know more about the unit and the species Before the hunt starts.

Good luck, Robb

16-Feb-19
It boils down to company, location and time required. To echo what Pat said, I don't take trips that do not come with a 4 star endorsement on quality of the experience. But, I know so many Bowsiters, I don't even have to try getting a qualified outfitter.

16-Feb-19
Scenery. Wherever I go must be beautiful.

16-Feb-19
Will the outfitter call me the week after

16-Feb-19
Costs, including potential lost wages and used vacation time away from family.

16-Feb-19
I don’t want to SEE anybody ! I don’t want to HEAR anybody !

Do I have a problem ?

16-Feb-19
I'm pretty spontaneous about most of the hunts I book. what really does it for me is if the outfitter guarantees me a shot opportunity with archery equipment. shows confidence in the outfitter and I will hunt with somebody like that any day.

16-Feb-19
"I don’t want to SEE anybody ! I don’t want to HEAR anybody ! Do I have a problem ?"

AMEN!!

16-Feb-19
The ones that guarantee me an opportunity are the ones I worry about

16-Feb-19
Adventure. If I can drive there it tends to be much less fun anymore.

16-Feb-19
Have I ever hunted the species before. I always like a new animal, area and experience. It might be "ordinary" to many others, but unique for me.

16-Feb-19
Yes Elkmo, you have a problem! One I share.

16-Feb-19
"choosing an OTC hunt" ---- for me it's attempting to get away from other hunters and will I get into elk in this area?

16-Feb-19
Quality of the outfitter. 11 Black bear w/the same QC outfitter...6 in the 350 range...1 a spring monster.

17-Feb-19
Two things: 1. Pat's " a recommendation from someone I absolutely trust". 2. Adam's " Projected amount of fun"

17-Feb-19
Who will be able to go with me, and our ability to not have to deal with other hunters.

17-Feb-19
ELKMO, Sent you a PM

17-Feb-19
#1 is Fun factor. "Can I afford it" is not an option. I'm not working extra or giving up my daily pleasures to go elsewhere to hunt. "Trophy" not an option either. I don't need more possessions (mounts) I need to fill the freezer. I like to hunt local, if I happen upon a wall hanger great I'll take the shot.

17-Feb-19
Which of my two sons (or both) would be a good fit for this hunt based on my ongoing research and our ability to draw a tag or tags would be my first consideration. I think that there is a lot of sound advice to follow in the above posts.

17-Feb-19
Elk Density vs hunting pressure

• Sitka Gear