Olink 18-Feb-19
Teeton 18-Feb-19
BigOzzie 19-Feb-19
Drop Tine 19-Feb-19
Rob in VT 21-Feb-19
18-Feb-19

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
I recently picked up a pair of Atlas / LL Bean 30” snowshoes and been out in them the last two days and my paints are wet up to or past my knee’s.

Been looking online and the reviews are mixed for even the top end gaiters dollar wise. Even people that haven’t even had them out of the house yet giving reviews on them. Never understood that?

Looking for real world reviews and no place better than here. I’m long legged and want something in the 16” - 18” length that will fit over the calf.

Thanks in advance.

18-Feb-19
Kennetrek and Outdoor Research have treated me well. I prefer the Kennetrek by a slight margin.

My Kennetreks are hanging to dry about four feet from my head right now. I’ve lived in them for the past four days at my buddy’s cabin.

There’s enough snow that I would’ve been really pissed at myself if I’d have left them at home.

18-Feb-19
Do a search on Amazon and you can fine some real nice ones with great reviews for under $50 a pair.

I was going to post a link but it won't let me keep my acct. out of the link...……..Not that I mind you using my acct!!! haha

Good luck, Robb

18-Feb-19
I have Atlas 30" snowshoes also. My wife and I get out a couple of times a winter for recreation. I've used them for the walk into my stand once in 15 years. I typically wear waterproof insulated bibs while out in them. So gaiters haven't been needed. If I needed something with lighter/no insulation, I'd wear the pants and suspenders from my old rain gear. BTW, the Atlas bindings are FAR superior to the cheap buckles on my wife's snow shoes. Keep telling her to to buy new ones.

18-Feb-19
i have Kenetrek gaiters that work fine. Most important, wear wool pants of some type. Either the traditional heavy wool Malone type or the newer styles such as First Light Kanabs that are merino. Don't think they make those now but they have the Obsidian I believe. The light weight wools with good merino long handles underneath are the way to go and you don't have to even bother with gaiters much of the time. I'm on snowshoes a lot. Most days now and the snow is deep and fluffy. Never wet pants. By the way, I'm a traditional snowshoe guy. Carry up much better than the cute aluminum ones. But then that might be cuz I'm a traditional 72 year old. Snowshoe with my daughters in Colorado and they sink a lot more than I do and I'm 220. ..... And no comments from the peanut gallery about 72 years and the wet pants thing!!

18-Feb-19
The outdoor research crocs are a great gaiter.

18-Feb-19
Outdoor Research Crocs for me.

18-Feb-19
Here's another vote for OR Crocs.

18-Feb-19
Another vote for OR Crocs

18-Feb-19
I still have a pair of cheap nylon gaiters. Killed a ton of hares with them. I think the smooth style is superior to anything with fuzz (polar fleece) fabric. The fuzz just seems to gather snow if its at all warm.

Not a problem today. -21 last night.

18-Feb-19
I do a lot of snowing and at times hunt out of them.. I would post pic's but I got a new phone and my old has all my pics on it. I've had 4 or 5 pair of gaiters.. The last pair I got a few years back at Cabelas and I really like them,, why because they breathe .. I remember when I would take other pairs of gaiters off my legs would be wet from sweat, not my pants but my legs... I could tell my legs got wet from sweat why snow shoeing with the other gaiters but didn't realize how bad till I got the new gaiters... Ed

18-Feb-19
"why because they breed.."

That would be nice. Just buy one pair let them breed and you never need to buy gaiters again. You might even be able to start a "gaiter farm";)

18-Feb-19
RutnStrut, I'm so sorry you didn't know what I meant.. So I fixed it for you.. :)

18-Feb-19
I normally wear wool pants and Cabelas camo goretex gaiters or Core4 gray/black goretex gaiters for snowshoeing. Wool pants and goretex gaiters breath well.

18-Feb-19

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
 WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
Never even realized you wanted pics. Best I can do is one I took about 30 seconds ago. For work, I use only the OR crocs. I hunt in them too if I’m not wearing real thick pants. These are the XL.

18-Feb-19
Best gaiters hands down is the kuiu Yukon. Very durable, waterproof, and they never slide down or bunch up like the crocs.

18-Feb-19
I prefer the Yukon’s for hunting too. But, they’ll in no way last as long as the crocs.

18-Feb-19
"RutnStrut, I'm so sorry you didn't know what I meant.. So I fixed it for you.. :)"

No big deal, I was just bustin your balls a bit.

18-Feb-19
The best gaiters that I have ever seen was a pair that I looked at in New Zealand. They were green, waterproof and soft so they would not make noise when walking through brush. Wish I would have purchased them!

18-Feb-19
The different pairs of gaiters I have tried or owned all build up a few inches of mud and/or snow on the strap/cable underneath the sole and makes it difficult to use them and difficult to kick it of. Any brand of gaiter or strap/cable to fix this problem?

18-Feb-19
I have had the same issue as Blade. I get the golf ball size dingleberrys on the strap that goes around the sole. I'd love to hear if there is a brand that doesn't have this problem.

18-Feb-19
For the snow build up,, I put good clear house silicone, the stuff that you put around a window. I put it coating on both sides of the strap that goes under the boot and let dry. Just dont put it so you can't tighten the straps. Ed

19-Feb-19
I have never invested much in gators, I think I bought my last 3 pairs at garage sales couldn't even tell you what kind they were. I spend all recreation time in the winter in gators, x-c skiing or snow shoeing, or just out and about for the heck of it I have a pair on.

But

The issue I found this winter was my wife bought me new x-c gear and the boots are more intense than they used to be, buckles and straps, etc. I could not find a pair of gators in my collection that would reach from the toe clip all the way around the heal. So if you are looking for gators that will work with newer x-c gear you need a larger diameter at the base to reach far enough out on the toes.

oz

19-Feb-19

Drop Tine's Link
Decided to go with Sitka. Camofire has them for $71.40 for a couple more hours.

With Sitkas warranty I should be good for a while. Thanks for the input into the Gaiters.

21-Feb-19
Mountain Archery has Sitka gators on sale as well.

• Sitka Gear