Jaquomo 19-Feb-19
cnelk 19-Feb-19
TD 19-Feb-19
Single bevel 19-Feb-19
ELKMAN 20-Feb-19
Single bevel 20-Feb-19
18-Feb-19

cnelk's Link
I spend a lot of time hunting and fishing near or at the Continental Divide of Colorado. And of course, the wind is always a factor.

I have been using this website called Windfinder.com for quite awhile. It is spot on. It can forecast wind currents - direction & speed about 2 days out.

Just zoom in on the location > select date/hour > and then click on the map. It will give you the Lat/Long, wind direction and speed.

If you zoom out, you will see the different wind speeds across the U.S. with the colors on the left hand side

Its pretty cool - See link

18-Feb-19
This is great - thanks Brad!

I just zoomed it way in and it showed a brief wind breaking right here in my kitchen a bit ago!

18-Feb-19
HAAAAA!!!!!

18-Feb-19
This is a really cool link thx!

18-Feb-19
Saweeeet!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

18-Feb-19
I've found that forecasters are rarely correct about precipitation, "sometimes" correct about temperature, but "always" correct about wind. But ... in WY, the forecast is always: "Hurricane-force by lunch, then lightening toward evening". (It hit 61 mph at my place last week).

18-Feb-19
Just thinking out loud here cnelk, not being a smart xx but wondering if you have a sw wind at 10 mph and your up around 11,00 feet on a ridge running se to nw at mid day and sunny. Is the wind direction the same on both slopes and shows that on the link? I guess what I'm asking ,does it show the thermals when you zoom in close.

18-Feb-19
Thanks for the site Quick warning for guy's out East, just had a brief wind pass through Duluth from the West heading East, take cover

18-Feb-19
Dont confuse 'wind' & 'thermals' - completely different

18-Feb-19
That's much better than what I've been attempting to use. Thanks!

18-Feb-19
THanks for the info . That's a handy tool.

18-Feb-19
That's really cool.

It looks like little spermatoids headed to the egg!

18-Feb-19
Interesting that you posted this, I was just on WunderMap looking at the winds because it is getting it on right now in Abq.

Not that it is a big deal and I am always looking for a good map but right now the map on your link is absolutely wrong, it says a W wind at 8mph........ it is currently blowing from the east at about 30mph with gust up to 40 or 50 ???

18-Feb-19
Is the correct date and time selected on Windfinder?

I just compared WeatherUnderground with Windfinder at my place and they were within 1 mph and same direction.

18-Feb-19
The more I scrolled in, the more I expected a big butt with a guy farting to pop up...

Once bitten, twice shy.

Great website.

19-Feb-19
cnelk, it's working great now! guess I should of looked closer.

19-Feb-19
Thanks for posting great app.Now I can rest my weather radio a little more

19-Feb-19
Thanks!

19-Feb-19
If you like that wind site, try windy.com Its similar to the OP link but I like it much better. It has a lot more to offer such as the ability to switch the image from satellite, to topo, to hybrid...bunch of other stuff, too. As good as these sites are, they can only tell you what the wind is doing that is not effected by terrain and surface structure. That's where wind prediction becomes a cross between an art and a science. Its up to us to read what the current prevailing wind is doing and then apply that knowledge to specific stand locations. Under some circumstances, surface wind behavior can change dramatically in just a few yards. No weather site can show those intricate patterns. We need to deduce those after we check out the websites to see what the prevailing is doing.

19-Feb-19
Like the base mapping on windy.com much better thx Single bevel

19-Feb-19
I went back onto Windfinder to make sure there was nothing I was missing. Nope. Check out windy.com

19-Feb-19
Thanks I needed that!

19-Feb-19
As long as the sites has sperm trackers its ok by me

19-Feb-19
Windfinder is good. Have looked at it, not played with it much. For those looking, check out Windy as well. I like the interface a bit better, but that's just a personal view like a favorite camo....

One of the things about these apps.... give them some time to figure out and get used to the interface and what they can do. Took me some time with Windy, but it's dialed in now. Like what cnelk was saying.... little things like making sure the time/location is set right.... makes all the difference. Windy came with metric as default.... took a bit to figure changing it, for me anyway.

None I've found do it "all" exactly as I want. Right now running Windy and another app Dark Sky (real accurate forecasts, once you find how you use it)..... has worked well for both real time and forecasts. Finding I'm using Windy the most though.

19-Feb-19
Good site. I've always used the NOAA's Aviation wind streamlines national map, but it lacks the animation and zoom capability like this one you found.

19-Feb-19
I'm struggling with Windy. I changed my settings to American and saved them to the Cloud, but speeds and temps are still showing in Canadian. Any suggestions?

19-Feb-19
Lou - over on the left side under Settings, you can change to mph/Fahrenheit/etc

19-Feb-19
Windy has the swell heights, duration and directions too.... in case you were thinking of hitting the surf today..... =D

19-Feb-19
Another thing windy has is snow depth. We have to drive 900 miles next month to scout, prep stands and shed hunt. I don't want to try to do that with 10 inches of snow on the ground. I can monitor ground conditions and know when to go from here.

20-Feb-19
Very cool. How accurate is it?

20-Feb-19
"Very cool. How accurate is it?"

Which part are you referring to? Snow depth? Or the overall accuracy of Windy.com?

• Sitka Gear