Shug 18-Feb-19
KY EyeBow 18-Feb-19
WapitiBob 18-Feb-19
TD 18-Feb-19
APauls 18-Feb-19
LKH 18-Feb-19
Highlife 19-Feb-19
18-Feb-19
I was watching a hunting show on TV last night, first time in years. The guy had an eye patch that was flipped up, he flipped it down for the shot? Anyone else do this? Why not just close your eye during the shot, why the extra movement? I've not seen or heard of this before. Even my wife was like "Really, wtf?"

18-Feb-19
Why not learn how to actually shoot? Another example of why the so called "hunting pros" aren't professional at all. Many of the current sponsorships are an exercise in marketing, not merit.

18-Feb-19
I have a buddy who is left eye dominant but shot right handed. He can’t get his left eye to completely close so he used an eye patch for awhile. It got old so he finally learned to shoot left handed and hasn’t had an issue since. I don’t completely understand why he can’t shut that eye, mine both shut just fine, but it was funny watching him try to

18-Feb-19
It's really not that uncommon a lot of archers do it for the reason listed above. Shawn

18-Feb-19
I see several money shooters using a patch at 3-D shoots. I really don’t know it they would be feasible in the real world of bowhunting.

18-Feb-19
Helps to relieve eye strain if staring through a spotting scope for long periods but otherwise I'll pass.

18-Feb-19
Makes sense, thanks guys. I am right handed, and have had a very lazy and weak right eye. I learned to shoot left handed with long guns as a kid and when I started shooting a bow it was natural to shoot left handed. I have no issues with the weak, wondering right eye being open when I shoot. The eye patch guy on the show did kill a nice elk.

18-Feb-19
It was Ben MacDonald...long time MLB pitcher...

18-Feb-19
I had the same issue of left eye wouldn't stay closed when I used to shoot right handed. Got tired of it and went back to shooting left handed.

18-Feb-19
^^^Heat X2

18-Feb-19
I watched the same show, and for the life of me, can't figure out why he just didn't close his left eye when he shot.

18-Feb-19
Saw the same show as well and thought the same thing. I believe that he ranged the elk before flipping it down for the shot, but don't remember. I just figured it was his thing like anything else or some people have trouble with closing one eye (or winking).

18-Feb-19
Used to make my Wife into a Pirate...until I switched her over to a left handed bow!

18-Feb-19

18-Feb-19
Prevents that eye from taking over, some people have issues closing one eye. I am right eye dominant and shoot with both open, one day, for some reason, my left eye took over on a target shoot, I think 90m, I missed two shots by multiple feet left of the target. No idea how or why that happened.

18-Feb-19
As stated, it is very likely the eye patch is used to address an eye dominance issue. Definately worthy of attempted shaming...

18-Feb-19
My step son for the life of him can't close his left eye with out closing his right. So when shooting he wears a eye patch.. All I can say is with the patch he shoots better.

18-Feb-19
I agree, the guy should be ashamed of himself. Definitely unprofessional. God forbid someone does something that helps them.

18-Feb-19
Maybe he was just looking for attention... we’ll looks like he got it here

18-Feb-19
He's likely Left eye dominant and just never learned to shoot Left handed. I remember seeing him do the same thing many years ago. He had a pretty silly looking hat/head cover as well but that's a different story I guess.

18-Feb-19
Learning to shoot left handed for an eye dominance issue isn’t always the best idea especially when the issue is easily addressed.

18-Feb-19

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Don't know if it helped his shooting any..... but he wore it well...... RIP.....

18-Feb-19
It’s like flipping the cover off the missile switch. That’s how you know you’ve gone into kill mode.

18-Feb-19
Off topic a bit but an eye patch over your unused eye when using a spotting scope for long periods really helps.

19-Feb-19
Yeah unfair advantage. Pirates get all the girls.

• Sitka Gear