elkstabber 21-Feb-19
Olink 21-Feb-19
12yards 21-Feb-19
txhunter58 21-Feb-19
txhunter58 21-Feb-19
wifishkiller 21-Feb-19
Deerplotter 26-Feb-19
19-Feb-19
I just watched a video of an official in Pennsylvania announcing some major breakthroughs in Chronic Wasting Disease. ljsp.lwsdn.com or just google "cwd cure within a year" Anyone else seen this? Is it on the level?

19-Feb-19
Saw it! Claims someone has discovered a bacteria that attacks the protein cells and .... that it is not prions! Big news if it holds up.

19-Feb-19
I have been watching this guys research since around 2007. The main researcher was all but laughed at when he originally proposed that CWD was the result of a bacteria. He had certain markers and evidence, but did not have the bacteria identified. In large part he was dismissed... With this new claims he might have redeemed himself. I am seeing a lot of hesitation by others in the field to "Jump" on the band wagon.

I hope it hold true...

19-Feb-19
I hope it is true . He has been saying this for years , but as you say he was and is dismissed . But what makes you think he is on to something is the fact that in 10% of CWD cases there are no prion’s present. So this leads you to believe it could be some other agent causing CWD and prions are a byproduct as he claims. If he correct there is hope .

19-Feb-19
I most certainly believe he’s on the right tract. And, in my opinion, I think the bacteria will be linked to waterfowl feces.

That’s out there but, so am I at times.

19-Feb-19
Reputable researchers have peer reviewed data to present. And they don't need a gofundme campaign.

19-Feb-19
Just thinking out loud here, so lets say they do have a cure... how do they go about giving it to each deer... through food, pill, shot, air.... Do they test each deer to see which ones to administer it too?? How much will it cost and who pays it??

19-Feb-19
they are going to set up drive-thru deer pharmacies. its going to be a problem taking a pill without an opposable thumb.

19-Feb-19
Might be able to spray large areas of land to kill the bacteria? However they do it, it's going to be expensive. Worth it, but expensive.

19-Feb-19
3 step approach:

1) first year they will issue a diagnostic hunter test kit .

2)in year two they hope to have a vaccine that will be primarily for captive deer and elk.

3)In year 3 they hope to have an oral or nasal vaccine for wild herds.... they did not explain how it would be administered.

19-Feb-19
Hmmm, this is popping up all over the place today...

19-Feb-19
I'm skeptical of a simple vaccination. The different research orgs have been working on this for a long time....some since the 90's. All admit there is still a lot that they don't know.

What complicates these prion related diseases CWD, CJD, Mad cow is they have such a long incubation period. They are saying now that Altzheimers and Parkinsons could have some commonality with these. Point is; They don't know....

Outfits to look at; CWD Alliance, latest news and links to research.

TSE research center

National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center (NPDPSC)

And a bunch more

19-Feb-19
you wait---some of those deer herds will be anti-vaxxers. They're going to try to get by with just thoughts and prayers.

19-Feb-19
CWD... and "the cure", revenue generators.

20-Feb-19
The article is very optimistic. No reasonable person would expect a cure that quickly even if is caused by a bacteria. Maybe 5 years if everything goes perfect. Otherwise maybe 10 to 20.

20-Feb-19
Everyone knows CWD is either a kale deficiency or a gluten intolerance.

20-Feb-19
They heard there was going to be money to look for a cure and they jumped up to the front of the line!!!!

20-Feb-19
This same video has been passed around on the web like wildfire when in reality its recycled promises.

This researcher has been promising a cure for almost a decade....see his TSE Research center site

20-Feb-19
Dr. Bastian's lab has been pushing spiroplasma for a long time. The work is not repeatable. Unfortunately it's not nearly as simple as the video leads viewers to believe.

I'm worried that well intending conservation organizations will be snowed by this video and donate money to his laboratory.

21-Feb-19

elkstabber's Link
This is unbelievable news. Really unbelievable. Too good to be true. So let's get this straight: one researcher is about to find the cure and he says that all of the other researchers weren't looking in the wrong place. His research has not been repeatable by peers. Sounds desperate. So a lobbying group in Pennsylvania that isn't official in any way holds a "press conference" to lobby for their cause. Now the researcher has started a GoFundMe page.

At this link you'll see where Pennsylvania's Game Commission has posted on their website that hunters shouldn't fall for hoaxes regarding CWD cures.

21-Feb-19
Another snake oil salesman. I really hope that assessment is proven wrong, but I don't think it will be. The Unified Sportsmen of PA has bought into it hook, line, and sinker. Unfortunately, the USP has a reputation for hitching their wagon onto lame horses.

21-Feb-19
I would think there would be some huge risks to spreading anti-biotics all over the place in the wild. Wipe out good bacteria? Create resistant strains of the bacteria? Etc.

21-Feb-19
No one will ever support spreading antibiotics in the environment. That isn’t how they work. That is why you don’t clean your kitchen counters with antibiotics. Chemicals that kill viruses and bacteria are used on surfaces outside the body. For example bleach and other compounds.

But treating the ground won’t cut it with CWD. In the pens at CSU where it first appeared, they removed 6”’of topsoil, put down lye and then put in new topsoil and didn’t put deer back for several years. When they did, they still came down with CWD.

21-Feb-19
Duplicate post

21-Feb-19
You guys seem to know way more than me! Regardless it's a step in the right direction assuming its repeatable.

26-Feb-19
Developing a field test kit to check a deer for CWD isn’t as far off as one might think. The University of MN is requesting money legislatively to continue that science. I think the only real chance we will have of controlling the disease from continued spreading is through genetic resistance. It would take too long in the wild but working cooperatively with deer breeders and scientists and others it can be sped up. We already have Wild genetically resistant deer. I think scientists studying this disease will figure it out like they did with the prion based sheep scabies.

• Sitka Gear