OFFHNTN 28-Feb-19
LarryH N.E.AZ 28-Feb-19
midwest 28-Feb-19
LarryH N.E.AZ 28-Feb-19
midwest 28-Feb-19
OFFHNTN 28-Feb-19
drmike 28-Feb-19
27-Feb-19
Does anyone use a hinged release for hunting? Would be interested in your thoughts.

27-Feb-19
I have been shooting one the last 3 weeks to work on target panic issues. At first I said no way would I hunt with one, but after shooting it for awhile I think it could be done just fine. A lot of well known hunters use them.

27-Feb-19
Been doing it for over 20 years...only release I can shoot under pressure.

27-Feb-19
I considered it after messing around with one on the target range but I decided against it. I used a thumb because even if I didn’t use back tension I was still accurate. With the hinge if I needed it to fire RIGHT NOW, and sped up the process I would hit high and right, by quite a bit.

27-Feb-19
drmike May I ask which release you have are using?

27-Feb-19
Ironbow- what we’ll known hunters are useing them

27-Feb-19
I have hunted exclusively with a hinge release for the past 5 years. When I first started shooting one I swore I would never hunt with it, but as I got more comfortable I decided to give it a try, I will never go back to a trigger! I shoot a tru ball sweet spot pro. It has a safety which I really like for hunting. You can make a hinge release go off just as fast as a trigger if you have to. That is a skill that is good to know, but not one to really practice, it sort of defeats the purpose!

27-Feb-19
Good for practice. But I wouldn’t use one for hunting.

27-Feb-19
Shot this years Bull with one.

non issue

27-Feb-19
Levi Morgan all the time, Randy Ulmer does sometimes, Dwight Schuh used one. Those are the ones I can think of right now.

28-Feb-19
Yes I do, I shoot a Scott longhorn and love it for hunting. Havent had any issues.

28-Feb-19
Yep, a TruBall HT3. I keep a finger release in my pack to use incase it is extremely windy, but I can usually shoot a better shot with a hinge 99.9% of the time. As stated, I can shoot a more accurate shot just as fast with a hinge as I can with a trigger.

28-Feb-19
Thanks for all of the good advise, encouraging that many are using it for hunting without issues. Let me ask another question: Does anyone have any experience with the NockOn releases the John Dudley sells?

28-Feb-19
I have all three of Dudley's releases. Top quality from Carter and you can switch between the three without altering your anchor at all.

28-Feb-19
midwest...If you were only going to purchase one, with the ultimate goal to hunt with it which one would you suggest?

28-Feb-19
Larry, I hunt with the Nock2It and practice with all 3. If I had to choose one without a trigger for hunting, it would probably be the Silverback tension style. Put the pin on the target, get settled, release the safety, and pull.

28-Feb-19
To each their own, but a tension style would not be my first choice. Since they are set to release/activate once a given amount of tension is applied, in the heat of the moment with adrenaline pumping, being out of breath, etc I wouldn't trust that I have the same amount of tension on a shot as I would during practice or under other circumstances, resulting in a arrow being launched at the wrong time. I know this works for others, but it doesn't for me.

28-Feb-19
OK I am really dating myself but I am using an old three finger stan (love the way it fits my hand) and then replaced the hinge portion of the stan with a Scott Longhorn hinge set up. This way I can shoot it with a D loop. The old stan had a rope that went around the bowstring and then hooked on the hinge. I would recommend a Scott Longhorn release.

• Sitka Gear