Reaper04 06-Mar-19
COHOYTHUNTER 06-Mar-19
cnelk 06-Mar-19
APauls 06-Mar-19
Owl 06-Mar-19
COHOYTHUNTER 06-Mar-19
mattandersen 06-Mar-19
05-Mar-19
So, I recently saw on the news that four states have counties within those states where the Sheriffs have created "2nd Amendment Sanctuaries". This tactic was to use the liberal immigration tactics and apply it to gun rights. Anyway, it got me thinking. With all the issues we face of our rights being taken away and anti-hunting groups opposing hunting at every turn, what if we as hunters proposed something similar to the LGBTQ-RSTVz stuff. I mean for most of us hunting defines who we are and we live and breathe hunting. What if hunters could impose an 'identification standard' to protect our rights. So that if any new proposals or legislation were introduced that could be considered discrimination.. I guess, if we cant beat em', figure out a way to join em'.. I'm sure there are some legal minds out there that would say this is impossible. But if you think about it, hunters make up something like 5% of the population, we are in fact a minority and if we are defined by hunting and it make us who we are.. who knows, I'm sure it wouldn't fly.. but why not..

05-Mar-19
"WE'RE HERE...FOR DEER...AND WE'RE NOT GOING AWAY!" ;-)

05-Mar-19
Look at the number of Sheriffs departments that are refusing to enforce confiscation and registry laws. I know many think it`s hyperbole but we are slowly heading to another Civil war....probably more like a divorce...lol

05-Mar-19
The more I think about it... .Why not?? If you look at all the other protected groups we have in America, replace that name with "hunters" and I think it fits.. I mean if a person can decided one day they want to change their parts and now be a woman or visa versa they are a protected class. So why cant the same be applied to hunters? We face discriminated and opposition all over the place. For instance, if I lived in California, lets say San Francisco and I openly discussed my pro-hunting stance, I guarantee I'd be discriminated against.. But if someone is openly gay or trans or whatever, they are protected and no matter ones beliefs you cannot discriminate, nor should you. for the record I have no issues with the LGBTQ community, only using that as an example

05-Mar-19
Makes sense to me.

05-Mar-19
After I read Trapper’s comment on the other thread , same thoughts were brewing in my head.

Why not? Everybody else is on the “ acceptance “ bandwagon

05-Mar-19
I think sometimes as I believe most of us here lean right, we are reluctant to pursue 'outside the box' ideas. But I think in the current political world, we almost have to.. like, I said before.. If we can beat them, might as well join them..

05-Mar-19
My OTC elk tag identifies as a Unit 2 tag. Anyone who doesn't agree is RACIST!

05-Mar-19
I’m officially a member of the nahtf community. For you bigots that don’t get it I’m a Native American Hunter Trapper and Fisher. I have no bag limits and wildlife regulations do not apply to me.

05-Mar-19
I like your idea, but you are expecting them to be rational and give hunters the same consideration as their protected groups. They aren't rational and never recognize their own hypocrisies. The group think has decided hunters are bad, so protections don't include them.

05-Mar-19
Bowonly... Yes, I agree with you.. But what if we had "hunt pride" parades and protested at state capitals, etc etc etc.. The only reason certain protected groups became protected is because the people in that group made a stand.

05-Mar-19

bowonly's embedded Photo
bowonly's embedded Photo
OK, but I ain't dressing up for the parade

05-Mar-19
bowonly... you look totally different when you're not wearing camo

05-Mar-19
I’ve considered the same thing, but more along the lines of LINK’s post. Identifying as a 14th century Native American hunter. Wouldnt work for the gun guys, but even if I had to go selfbow, that’d be fine if I could hunt wherever/whenever...

05-Mar-19
Where do I get one of those Johnson socks? I could use that the way this winter is going.

05-Mar-19
I'd like to see ya put that pic on the leather wall them old farts would flip out

it's a big problem between land owners & waterfowl hunters where I live (eastern shore VA) iv been harassed to the point that iv almost given up duck hunting

05-Mar-19
Timex.. If you were protected as a part of diversity/inclusion and a member of the "hunting community' those problems would be discrimination

05-Mar-19
Yes that will work. Good plan.

05-Mar-19
Hey Timex, I'm one of those old farts your deriding and the only thing I noticed about that photo is that "he's" not filling out that johnson sock very well. :)

05-Mar-19
Actually, this topic may have more merit than just a discussion item.

Its already against the law to interfere with someone that is in the act of hunting. What needs to happen is to expand those civil rights as a hunter not out in the field 'hunting'

When a hunting license is purchased - i.e small game - it is valid for a year. That would mean if someone purchases a license, they are 'identifying' as a hunter and those rights are extended.

If/when someone attacks a person carrying a hunting license, they are attacking a proclaimed group, and that group should have the same rights as any other 'proclaimed group', and be punishable by violating civil rights

05-Mar-19
He was in the pool!

05-Mar-19
Brotsky, you can pick one up off Amazon. They even have them in camo. No wool, only cotton. And, no COHOYTHUNTER, I don't own any. They are made in China and they didn't have my size. Not big enough...…..

05-Mar-19
That guy doesn't look very excited about the parade. He's not even smiling.

05-Mar-19
I agree, I want separate hunter and anti-hunter bathrooms

05-Mar-19
Cotton Johnson sock? No way, cotton kills! Although it is probably good that cotton would shrink in cold water.

05-Mar-19
I've been saying this for years? You want to play games with identity/class politics, we can play that game too!

05-Mar-19
Hey! Is that the Gronk?

05-Mar-19
cnelk, you're right. That would make all acts against us automatic "hate crimes."

EDIT: I gotta throw this out there though: Guys, we have got to resist the temptation to hire people to stage faux hate crimes against us. It will torpedo our movement.

05-Mar-19
Yeah, like Yinzer, I've been saying for years already, that I'd love to identify as a "right's based" hunter as we have up here. I hunt and fish, our family lives primarily off wild meat, we try to live off our land as much as possible....The only difference between me and majority of rights based hunters is, they have Honda quads and semi auto rifles with lights on em, but I could probably splain that issue away in the quart.

05-Mar-19
Idyll, I don’t think we have to pay to get hated. lol Just go to any YouTube bear hunt and copy the first twenty comments. At least five will contain death threats and thirteen will wish it upon the hunter.

05-Mar-19
I think you might on to something COHOYTHUNTER!

05-Mar-19
Cnelk and elk yinzer... You nailed it.. It only makes sense.. It would mean any anti group that is protesting hunting rights is committing a 'hate crime' against the hunting community for what they believe in. And thus any legislation that is introduced to limit hunters' rights is also committing a similar crime. (ie, reducing time in the field, reducing hunting opportunities, State Game and Fish depts. creating regulations that impact a hunters rights, etc)

05-Mar-19
I believe we are in the realm of the 14th Amendment Sec 1. Which is the basis for Civil Rights and discrimination. Discrimination is defined as: Discrimination occurs when the civil rights of an individual are denied or interfered with because of the individual's membership in a particular group or class. Various jurisdictions have enacted statutes to prevent discrimination based on a person's race, sex, religion, age, previous condition of servitude, physical limitation, national origin, and in some instances sexual orientation.

I'm sure some bowsiter has a law degree?!? And would know more about if this has legs or a viable argument could be made.

05-Mar-19
That might get some traction. Research shows that much of our evolution, including language stems from hunting. It's in our DNA. It's who we are. The way we were born. All the same arguments used to protect other groups.

05-Mar-19
"Although it is probably good that cotton would shrink in cold water."

That would be kind of an automatic resizing I'd guess.....

I'd pick a different camo for the parade though...... don't have any unicorn tags.....

05-Mar-19
Now we just need to schedule an interview on Fox News to get the ball rolling..

05-Mar-19
Of course you degenerates dissolved this into what it is... Love it.

05-Mar-19
“Cotton Johnson sock? No way, cotton kills!“

Brotsky I hear that wool doesn’t hold a smell. Either way Ill leave covering your Johnson with wool to you guys that belong to the lgbtqsheep group.

05-Mar-19

bowonly's embedded Photo
bowonly's embedded Photo
Sitka's new entry into the camo market. Taking pre-orders now.

05-Mar-19
I’m a hunter...

“Don’t hold it against me” “ I was born this way”

05-Mar-19
I love the idea Coyo! This thread= Laughing my ass off!! The Johnson sock is killing me!

05-Mar-19
on the eastern shore VA you can legally waterfowl hunt from a floating blind -grass boat - sneak boat & the law says you can hunt to the mean (average) low water mark ...well as far as the land owner is concerned mean low water is the farthest they've ever seen mud & it's a never ending conflict. FORTUNATELY the head gamewarden for these two counties is a hunter himself & over the years has charged numerous landowners for harassing hunters

05-Mar-19
Now if only I can convince a northwest Montana bighorn to identify as a general unit elk....

05-Mar-19
I needed to use the restroom at a store recently. Some guy was living in the men's room and my "patience" was drawing short. I asked the clerk if I could use the women's and she said no.

So I told her I self-identified as a pregnant black woman and I REALLY needed to go. She started laughing and handed me the key....

05-Mar-19
Dick socks aside, I am pretty convinced this is one of our paths forward in the current climate. As a guy who has ADHD something fierce I've read the theories about the hunter/ADHD connection and it fits me to a tee. I could be wrong, what the hell do I know, but I really believe that theory.

05-Mar-19
This could really work!!! The bobcat ban proposal in colorado could use this as an argument against the banning for bobcat hunting.

"Very few people are hunting and trapping bobcats in Colorado. Based on information I received during a recent Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) request, only 751 hunters/trappers harvested bobcats during the 2017 season. Of these, 730 were Colorado residents. In the 2016 season, only 728 hunters/trappers harvested bobcats, the 2015 season had 531, the 2014 had 552, and the 2013 had 632. 31 In 2017, the population of Colorado was estimated to be 5.5 million,32 therefore an extremely small percentage of the population (0.01%) is hunting/trapping bobcats. However, this minority of the population are killing a very large number of bobcats each year. In the 2013 season, 1945 bobcats were killed; in the 2014 season, 1634 bobcats were killed; in the 2015 season, 1352 bobcats were killed; and in the 2016 season, 1811 bobcats were killed by hunters and trappers.33 Anyone with a small game or furbearer license (which are $21 for residents and $56 for nonresidents) and a $10 Habitat Stamp can kill an unlimited number of bobcats. This equates to very little revenue generated specifically for bobcat hunting and trapping."

06-Mar-19
Ok. So what's next... I'm just the idea guy... I have no idea how or where to move this from here.. I feel like we almost need one specific instance that can set a precedent, get an attorney who is also a hunter( I think that is key) and file a motion or present an argument or whatever attorneys do

06-Mar-19
COHOYTHUNTER, I'm sure any hunter that's ever been harassed while hunting would be justified as a specific instance and with all the people on here, I would assume someone has been harassed!? I do agree with needing a pro-hunting attorney. I'd also like to add that a representative for the group in different states would be a good thing as well!

06-Mar-19
Might have to actually break a law and then take it up the court system towards the SCOTUS.

06-Mar-19
Page 14 of the CPW 2019 Regs:

21. Interfere with hunters. This includes distracting or frightening prey; causing prey to flee by using light or noise; chasing prey on foot or by vehicle; throwing objects; making movements; harassing hunters by using threats or actions; erecting barriers to deny access to hunting areas; intentionally injecting yourself into the line of fire. Violators face prosecution and may have to pay victim’s damages and court costs.

Does your state have this law?

06-Mar-19
bo only, that rainbow guy's sock is half empty... :) "They aren't rational.." Irrationality will be their downfall. What is good for the goose is good for the gander, but it has to be done smart. Fight fire with fire, but control the flame...

06-Mar-19
"I have no idea how or where to move this from here..." I would suggest requiting Don Jr. He has connections. Seriously. (And now for the snickering...)

06-Mar-19
Pa does!

Pennsylvania Hunter Harassment Laws

(34 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 2302 (1996))

TITLE 34. GAME PENNSYLVANIA CONSOLIDATED STATUTES CHAPTER 23. HUNTING AND FURTAKING SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

§ 2302. Interference with lawful taking of wildlife or other activities permitted by this title prohibited (A) GENERAL RULE.-- Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for another person at the location where the activity is taking place to intentionally obstruct or interfere with the lawful taking of wildlife or other activities permitted by this title.

(A.1) ACTIVITIES WHICH VIOLATE SECTION.-- A person violates this section when he intentionally or knowingly:

(1) drives or disturbs wildlife for the purpose of disrupting the lawful taking of wildlife where another person is engaged in the process of lawfully taking wildlife or other permitted activities; (2) blocks, impedes or otherwise harasses another person who is engaged in the process of lawfully taking wildlife or other permitted activities;

(3) uses natural or artificial visual, aural, olfactory or physical stimuli to affect wildlife behavior in order to hinder or prevent the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities;

(4) creates or erects barriers with the intent to deny ingress or egress to areas where the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities may occur;

(5) interjects himself into the line of fire;

(6) affects the condition or placement of personal or public property intended for use in the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities in order to impair its usefulness or prevent its use;

(7) enters or remains upon public lands or upon private lands without permission of the owner or their agent, with intent to violate this section; or

(8) fails to obey the order of any officer whose duty it is to enforce any of the laws of this Commonwealth where such officer observes any conduct which violates this section or has reasonable grounds to believe that any person intends to engage in such conduct.

(B) ENFORCEMENT AND RECOVERY OF DAMAGES.-- The commission or any person who is lawfully engaged in the taking, hunting or trapping of game or wildlife who is directly affected by a violation of this section may bring an action to restrain conduct declared unlawful in this section and to recover damages.

(C) EXCEPTIONS.-- The conduct declared unlawful in this section does not include any activities arising from lawful activity by other land uses, including farming, mining, forestry practices, recreation or any other activities when it is evident that such activities are not intended to violate this section.

(D) PENALTIES.-- A violation of this section is a summary offense of the second degree.

06-Mar-19
The thought behind my idea is more so harassment/discrimination when not afield. With all the anti hunting groups out there we need to be able to protect our rights and beliefs. Take for instance the recent Facebook post of that huntress in western Colorado that killed the mountain lion. She has been harassed by anti groups, media outlets, etc. so much so that she had to respond and defend herself and her actions. Yet she was well within her rights to hunt and harvest that lion. Now if there was something in place protecting hunters as a group, that harassment could be deemed a hate crime. Additionally, all of these initiatives to ban hunting; bobcats for instance, there is no scientific reason for that ban, the only reason is anti hunting groups want it done, but it is removing an animal that hunters will not be allowed to harvest for no good reason other than those 'poor kitties'.. if we as a group were protected, it may potentially be a non issue. Maybe I'm crazy but, when I sit back a look at all the groups in America that are protected simply because of their way of life and what they believe in, I think why not hunters too? And to piggy back off of what was said previously related to the 'hunter harassment' laws extending to beyond time in the field but if a person buys a hunting license, they become protected from harassment. So the next time a guy is wearing his Sitka jacket or his Cam Hanes "I Eat Elk" t-shirt in Boulder and gets dirty looks and snide comments.. that's harassment.. just sayin

06-Mar-19
A rally of some sort will get some attention - especially if the media is invited

06-Mar-19
That rainbow pecker pocket is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen.

06-Mar-19
"That rainbow pecker pocket is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen." - I don't know. Its absence would be worse...lol

Among the many illogical constructs of the anti-hunting folks is their recognition that aboriginals have a full right to continue hunting, fishing and using the land by citing culture. Well, how the heck do they think we got here? Hunting, fishing and using the land... The double standard is OBSCENELY racist yet they think nothing of it.

06-Mar-19
It's a double standard for sure. And as much as I appreciated the Cock Sock, although should have been in camo... I really believe we all need to take seriously the idea that our hunting heritage is in jeopardy. I am not suggesting my 'Hunter Identity' is THE answer. But the idea that things are going to remain status quo forever simply because its been that way your whole life is a foolish notion. Just look at how things have changed over the last 25 years, little by little its happening. Remember the saying 'how do boil a frog' ? Slowly...... We need to come up with ideas gentlemen or our hunting heritage and culture will not be around for our kids and for sure our grandkids. The north American hunting model will be a thing of the past

06-Mar-19
I like this idea and think it could go somewhere if it were pushed. Sign me up! ElkYinzer I had never heard about the hunter/ADD ADDHD connection. Just looked it up and I fit it to a T! haha Most of us probably do! Very interesting!

• Sitka Gear