t-roy 26-Mar-19
sticksender 26-Mar-19
timex 26-Mar-19
Kurt 26-Mar-19
Da White Shoe 27-Mar-19
Swampbuck 27-Mar-19
26-Mar-19

Big Fin's Link
When my crew did the taste test on different burger meat, the video got posted here and got over 130 Bowsite replies. It was a very popular video here, on other forums, and on our YouTube channel, so I told the crew to do it again, but this time to do it with backstrap.

So, that is what they did. Suffice to say, it was still a very interesting result.

Video at the link below.

Had I not been skinning muskrats that evening, I would have been there to ace the test ;).

26-Mar-19
Hope you're slaying some rats. Man, I miss trapping!

26-Mar-19
Interesting results and very similar to the burgers. I wonder how many people are going to respond with their favorite game meat again on this thread. Haha

26-Mar-19
Big Fin, If you want some tasty meat, try the muskrat. Just saying (but eat one you shot that bled out good). Its good when done right.

26-Mar-19
Randy eats them, too.

26-Mar-19
Both your "taste test" were fun to watch. As kids, my brother and I used to trap muskrats every winter here in central MN -- was always fun and put a few bucks in our pockets too boot.

You asked for some ideas......

It might be interesting to use the same kind of animal and cook it a few different ways to see which recipe the group likes the best and then post that recipe for us to try.

It would also be interesting to see what they think of different kinds of water fowl?

26-Mar-19

Big Fin's embedded Photo
The "Before" picture. When they are wrapped in tortillas, it will be the "After" picture.
Big Fin's embedded Photo
The "Before" picture. When they are wrapped in tortillas, it will be the "After" picture.

Big Fin's Link
TrapperKayak stated.....

"Big Fin, If you want some tasty meat, try the muskrat. Just saying (but eat one you shot that bled out good). Its good when done right."

Agreed. We've done videos of that in the past (at the link) and we just did another video of eating muskrats on Friday - 'Skrat tacos. That video will go live on April 5th.

26-Mar-19
Watched a YouTube video on Hushin channel the other day of a guy in Salt Lake City who trains and uses Mink to hunt muskrats in canals and ponds in the area. Pretty cool to watch as they use them for meat for themselves and the Mink. Had no idea folks ate those things.

26-Mar-19
I ate octopus last week but there's no way any muskrat meat will cross these lips.

26-Mar-19
I’d eat a rat WAY before I’d eat a grinner!!

26-Mar-19
All species of back-strap taste great to me. But I find that the flavor and texture varies from animal to animal of the same species, so I can see how that test is tough. Moose seems to be the most flavorless/bland variety of venison, so I would've guessed they'd be able pick it out....but apparently not so much.

26-Mar-19
regional favorites on the eastern shore VA where I live it's black drum fish muskrat hayman potatoes & (corn fed) black ducks. when I lived in Fla the #1 favorite fish was MULLET. that's right MULLET considered bait in other regions I know this is about game but tastebuds seam to change by region

26-Mar-19
Sticksender has it right that moose steaks are bland. Elk, sheep and antelope have more flavor....better in my eyes. Moose sure is great burger meat though.

27-Mar-19
Cooked that well done, it would all taste like liver to me... \_(°;°)_/

27-Mar-19
Mmmm... smoked mullet dip on saltines, delish

• Sitka Gear