JohnMC 06-Apr-19
Trial153 06-Apr-19
TURKEY STALKER 08-Apr-19
altitude sick 08-Apr-19
altitude sick 08-Apr-19
Adak Caribou 08-Apr-19
Jason Stafford 08-Apr-19
05-Apr-19
Headed to NWT in August on a backpack hunt. I've insured airfares on previous trips but never bought any other kind. Now that I am "maturing" I think its time to consider the scenarios of medical evac., equipment loss, etc., etc. I know there are specific companies that deal with this....What companies and policies are guys using and why? Thanks in advance Kip

05-Apr-19
Travel guard

05-Apr-19
I’ve used travelguard also and they were reasonably priced. Two others that specialize in medical evacuation are Med-Jet assist and Global Rescue. They will take you to the hospital of your choice regardless of where you are in the world.

05-Apr-19
Ripcord

05-Apr-19
Ripcord or Global Rescue. Read up on the fine print. Some reimburse you after you are home. If you want someone to actually come get you out. And take you to a hospital. Then, if need be to a hospital closer to home. Global or Ripcord. If you just want reimbursed the others are cheaper.

05-Apr-19

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
We went thru our car insurance company (USAA) and they have a deal set up with Travel Insured International. The pic is the bennies we had with our plan. For 10 days of coverage out of country it was $147. Maybe call your auto insurance folks and see what deals they have for international travel insurance.

https://www.travelinsurance.com/travel-insured-international/

05-Apr-19
My worry with "trip" insurance is getting the claim paid. Considering that insurance is legalized robbery I dont have my confidence in them playing fair.

05-Apr-19
Trial153, then read the fine print as it is a legal contract. In most states you can have the insurance commissioner go after them. Do your due diligence. Good luck.

05-Apr-19
Don`t forget to get a trip life insurance policy....it only covers your death on the trip and pays out quit a bit for mere dollars.

05-Apr-19
Red it till you eyes bled, but that still doenst mean they pay out.

05-Apr-19
James X 10. Fine print really is just that. It only contains language defining rights for the grantor. Based solely on the reality that few can hold off debtors as long as they (insurance companies) can stall. You get hurt and lose your income to fight them, $300 an hour attorney fees add up pretty quick. It'll put one heck of a hole in your retirement/financials. That's just been my experience with collecting on insurance claims. Albeit, none of it was for a hunting trip.

But, I see where they claim for a 1 million dollar reimbursement if needed or medical. That sounds like it is unrealistic for a mere couple hundred dollar fee. You gotta ask why would any profit minded company risk that without fully intending to ensure they don't pay that, if it were required. Once again, a couple reasons why but, you can take it to the bank that one of the biggest is knowing they can outlast you financially trying to get them to do so.

Like I said above, my experiences are not based on hunting issues. I hope you never find out. Good luck and God Bless

05-Apr-19
I use travel guard for both hunting trips as well as vacations. Good folks.

05-Apr-19
Has anyone on here bought travel insurance and made a claim on it?

06-Apr-19

JohnMC's Link
Here is a interesting story on travelers insurance from WSJ.

06-Apr-19

Trial153's Link
From Forbs

08-Apr-19
I used travel guard in 2012 for a Africa trip. My daughter was diagnosed with leukemia just before the trip. I got 100% (deposit & air) back very simple to make a claim and got money back quick. My father made a claim for the same trip with the same results. I also used travel guard last year for a Canadian bear hunt. Thankfully I did not have to use it!

08-Apr-19
My horse fell on me 4 weeks before a AK drop camp moose hunt. Suffered a badly broken leg. and was refunded most of the cost.

08-Apr-19
I currently use Ripcord but had Global Rescue during a trip to Nepal and needed some guidance and they were great and very responsive. When I called, an ex special forces medic answered and was very helpful and knowledgeable.

08-Apr-19
Did a trip to New Zealand, had some issues, filed a claim, was paid without problems. I'm a believer in trip insurance.

08-Apr-19
On a trip to the NWT we had some weather related issues that reeked havoc on our return flights and lodging. I had Travel Guard, filed a claim and everything was covered. Two others in our group had Ripcord, filed a claim and were not paid anything.

• Sitka Gear