AZ8 12-Apr-19
lawdy 12-Apr-19
ground hunter 13-Apr-19
ELKMAN 13-Apr-19
drycreek 13-Apr-19
11-Apr-19

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
I have arrows from hare hunting buried under 6 feet of snow in swamps. Thought by now I could start looking for them. This is looking out my back porch. 12 degrees last night. Two days ago we got another 8 inches. Friends downstate are getting gardens ready to plant. The plants I started in the house will be ready to harvest by the time the snow goes.

11-Apr-19
I feel your pain Lawdy South Dakota getting pounded now coming north just starting saying 8 to 12 inches here. Big Yuck

11-Apr-19
My free range bison hunt started a week ago, and the area is totally inaccessible by conventional vehicle due to deep snow. They received another big snow yesterday, and they are expecting it to remain inaccessible for several more weeks. At this rate, the season could end before access is even open for the hunt, after burning 30 bonus points!

11-Apr-19
Dang Stick, that's gotta hurt!! No chance in doing it by snowmobile? That could add a whole new aspect to the hunt! Maybe worth looking into.

Good Luck Brother!

Oh BTW... it's sunny clear and 80 here today, it was a balmy 57 this morning.

11-Apr-19
Lawdy, only when you move south. :0

11-Apr-19
Global warming for sure.

11-Apr-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
As we speak good idea taking snowblower off tractor Saturday. So depressing time to crack the jack

11-Apr-19
My place in Colorado is no better. Started snowing at 8 AM yesterday and was still snowing when we went to bed last night. Got about a foot of wet, heavy snow, that I spent all morning shoveling and plowing. I set a blind on Tuesday for the opening Saturday. I need to get down there and see how it held up. Might let the turkeys have another day off before we start, unless it gets warmer than they predict.

11-Apr-19
Nothing to worry about. Snow is a thing of the past. This is all an illusion. From year 2000: "According to Dr David Viner, senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event. Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,” he said."

Guess they got that one wrong. But this is the same University of East Anglia Hadley Center, basically the repository of much of the world's climate data and modeling. The same one where scientists got caught fabricating and cherry-picking thousands of data points for their now-incorrect models, who manipulated data sets to, in their own words, "hide the decline" in temperatures.

So no worries, guys. Put away the snowblowers and sell the snowmobiles while you can. Soon palm trees will be sprouting in Minot!

11-Apr-19
I'm hopin' summer lands on a weekend this year!

11-Apr-19
Yes Lou, we are supposedly to have Kansas type climate along Lake Superior here in MN by the turn of the century. SMH.

11-Apr-19
LOL now that’s funny stuff

11-Apr-19
It's not called Global Warming anymore for a reason. Climate Change leaves more wiggle room.

11-Apr-19
I must admit a smile crept across my face when I heard about the massive snowstorm a lot of the US is supposed to receive...as we totally miss in it Manitoba :)

11-Apr-19
So who else around here is tired of the term "Bomb Cyclone" or "12 million people will be impacted by this storm"?

One of our local news outlets, Wood TV 8, calls their meteorologist "Storm Team 8" everyone that I associate with calls them "Scare Team 8". Every time there is a change in the weather pattern they act like we are all going to die if we don't take cover. What a joke.

11-Apr-19
Scar, a few guys on my hunt took a snowmobile up there last week. They drove for over 100 miles on back roads trying to get "within snowmobile" range of the bison and couldn't do it. I'm not familiar with using them, but I've been told the powder snow is just too deep for them to be effective, and there are lots of trees down under the snow to catch you by surprise. Only a side by side vehicle or two with trax have been able to get back there, and even they've become stuck and broken down several times on the drive in. There's no sign of the bison coming into huntable areas yet anyway (off the National Park), because the snow is too deep for them to get there I understand. It looks like I might be going on my turkey at the end of the month before my bison hunt.

11-Apr-19
I just got back in from plowing. I live in the black Hills about 10 miles west of Rapid City, SD. I'll have to go out and do it again right before dark. It's heavy and wet and still snowing. We have 10-12 inches so far. Good news is turkey season is in. I think I'll wait.

11-Apr-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
I heard once April showers bring May flowers must have been some sort of myth. Stick maybe this bad boy would get you into bison.

11-Apr-19
Stick,

Sorry to hear that man, what a waste of a life long quest and points. Hopefully things will warm up, A Lot! Good Luck, and God Bless Brother... Keep us posted if things change.

11-Apr-19
Elite, that would be awesome! I wonder what shipping cost would be on something like that...

11-Apr-19
Where is the Bison hunt?

Here in Montana we had the second coldest February on record. On the other hand, it seems like every August for the last 15 years or so we have been getting forest fires with smoke constantly in the air, when before that it was once every 5 or 10 years, so I have no doubt that the global warming is real.

11-Apr-19
Irishman, you're right, just as with every other warming cycle. It warms and then it cools. Thats what the earth has done cyclically for the past 400,000 years, which is as far back as the Vostok ice cores can measure. Interesting thing is that the major Greenland glacier used as a benchmark has been growing at almost 2 miles a year for the past several years, and thickening as well, and nobody can explain why.

Think about this - how many forest fires would we be having now if we hadn't had 100 years of unnatural fire suppression in forests and foothills that are supposed to burn on a regular basis?

11-Apr-19
We're on day two of our hurricane style blizzard! On Monday I was shed hunting and it was 73°. So I guess Mon. and part of Tues. was our spring. The first half of Jan. was milder weather that anything we've had since!....except for that day and a half of spring! The extended forecast also appears to suck!

11-Apr-19
Irishman, the hunt is on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (Kaibab Plateau) in Arizona. It's over 9,000 feet elevation where the bison live this time of year.

11-Apr-19
Lou, stop it! Why is it when someone makes a statement of emotion versus one backed by facts, you feel the need to correct them with the facts and a good dose of common sense? It gets old being able to predict such a response from you. And, it takes away all the warm fuzzy feelings people get from living within their own notions of reality. SMH.

:*)

11-Apr-19
WV, Lou is just unabashedly factual. He can't help himself. I like it ......

11-Apr-19
My ex girlfriend pointed out one of my primary flaws was the need to be factually correct all the time. No kidding. Perhaps so. Maybe I'd be more likable if I just spouted anecdotal nonsense off the top of my head and hope people believe it....

11-Apr-19
Jac- That is funny! Joe Friday type. I can relate. Just ask my wife.

11-Apr-19
Our fires burn every August now because of policy, not temperature...

11-Apr-19
Well, ya don't NEED to be.... but it sure simplifies things.....

What is all this snow going to do with the wildlife? This time of year has to be the very worst on them for heavy snow and freezing temps.

12-Apr-19
"Maybe I'd be more likable if I just spouted anecdotal nonsense off the top of my head and hope people believe it...." I don't know if you'd be more likable, but you'd make a heck of a climate alarmist.

12-Apr-19
Sorry Lou, but you shouldn't use Fox news as your source. ;-) This is what most SCIENTISTS are finding. "Greenland's ice sheet is not only melting, but it's melting faster than ever because the area has become more sensitive to natural climate fluctuations, particularly an atmospheric cycle, a group of scientists reported today (Jan. 21) in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The researchers found that the ice is vanishing four times faster than it was in 2003 — and a good chunk of that acceleration is happening in southwest Greenland." Maybe a single glacier is advancing and you cherry picked that to support what you want to be true, but the ice IS melting.

But you're right, climate fluctuates constantly, over periods of hundreds of thousands of years. We are at the beginning of an unprecedented (for modern man) warming period, and we're NOT doing ANYTHING to attempt to mitigate it or even plan how to deal with it.

12-Apr-19
That really stinks Stick! Any chance they will extend the season if nobody can access the herd?

12-Apr-19
Ziek, surface mass balance has increased the last two years at least according to scientific sources.

12-Apr-19
I'll have to shovel my way to the shed to get the snowblower out. The drift between here and there is too deep to walk through! :(

12-Apr-19
Rut Nut, There's no chance of AZ extending the hunt. They document in the regulations that if something happens and the hunt is inaccessible or the buffalo never come on to huntable land, that's just too bad. There is also another hunt beginning a few days after ours, so that would interfere with their hunt. The problem with my hunt is that while the season is longer, it's longer because of possible weather conditions so they give us more days. The hunts after mine are all very short, and hunters can easily get screwed because no buffalo ever leave the park during their short hunt. It seemed like a better risk for a longer season, but earlier (more risky) hunt date. There really are no "good" options on that hunt.

12-Apr-19
Oh geez................................................well, will say a few prayers for you! Sounds like you need all the help you can get! When does your season close?

12-Apr-19
Buckhammer you must be from the same neighborhood as I and that ridiculous storm team 8 and their voice of god bs is an absolute joke. They hype the darn weather so much it's pathetic.

12-Apr-19
Ziek, I don't know what Fox News is reporting, but since I can't get the links to post you'll have to look it up yourself. Of course, some alarmists say this isn't good news, so no matter what happens it can be blamed on anthropogenic climate change. Shrinking? MM climate change. Growing? MM climate change. Staying the same?.... It is based on a NASA study of this benchmark glacier over many years.

12-Apr-19
The problem is that the models and predictions over the past 20+ years have been so consistently wrong that the alarmist scientists need to keep inventing hypotheses in response to occurances if they expect their research grants to continue to flow in. Dr. William Gray, one of the preeminent atmospheric scientists in the world, gave me a very detailed explanation of how the game works before he died. He even taught his students at C.S.U how to play the climate change grant game.

Edit: I'm doing my part, which is important as individuals. I stopped flying on airplanes and I minimize beef consumption to reduce demand for farting cows. If everyone did what I'm doing, we could turn this thing around in 12 years and head back into the "mini ice age" from which we just emerged.

12-Apr-19
StickFlicker, I read ADOT plans to open SR 67 to the North Rim on May 15th. Gonna be a pretty tight schedule to pull it off. Good luck!

12-Apr-19
The snow up here is melting very slowly, which is a good thing for our water table. The ground has been snow covered since the end of October, so there is very little frost in the ground and hopefully flooding will be minimal. I fear that we have had a tremendous winter-kill of deer with 38 very sub-zero days and nights, along with deep snow. Wiping out the poor genetics as natural selection is in play. I have surveyed two small remote yards where not a single deer exists. Each yard last winter held a dozen deer. When the snow goes, I will cruise the yards again to crack open some femurs.

13-Apr-19
hang in there lawdy, n wis and the up, are having a hiccup, this week, but the snow otherwise has been a slow melt with little rain, which is good,,,, we have really not had the severe cold like you have,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am seeing a lot of deer

13-Apr-19
Man I thought we had it bad. That is ROUGH. Hope it warms up soon.

13-Apr-19
While y'all are strapping on your snowshoes, we're sleeping in our sneakers, so we can outrun those damn tornadoes........

• Sitka Gear