oake 08-May-19
Franzen 08-May-19
Charlie Rehor 09-May-19
Hawkeye 09-May-19
Oregoncritter 10-May-19
06-May-19

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Many of us are familiar with the Bi-Annual, P&Y Convention. This thread will highlight the Boone & Crockett Clubs, Tri-Annual Convention and include a lot of photos. Recently I had the great honor of being a Panel Judge for this upcoming Convention. I am not a representative of B&C other than an Official Measurer and Associate Member however B&C is aware that I’m doing this thread.

The B&C Club granted the use of their measuring system to P&Y. Most of the measuring procedures are identical. The main difference is the B&C Record book includes all weapons as well as pick ups of some trophies. Additionally, the minimum entry requirements are significantly higher for all North American animals. For example the minimum entry requirement for a P&Y Typical Whitetail is 125” while at B&C the minimum is 170”.

Another point of interest is the two Conservation organizations have been working very closely in recent years to insure both Clubs thrive going forward.

06-May-19

The B&C Club, 30th Big Game Awards invited the largest animals killed in the last three years to be Panel Measure to certify the Official Measurement for the Record Book. B&C also invited 20 Official Measurers to Bass Pro World Headquarters in Springfield MO. The measuring occurred 3/23-3/27. From 5/4/19 until the end of Convention (8/3/19) the Heads and Horns will be on display at Bass Pro Headquarters. If you can get there it will be an amazing experience.

06-May-19

300+ inch, Non-Typical Whitetail from Tennessee
300+ inch, Non-Typical Whitetail from Tennessee
What an incredible experience to measure some of the 100+ largest animals killed in the last three years. We measure in groups of two and at least two different teams measure every animal. The score sheets are then compared with the original measures score sheet.

Here are some photos of us while measuring.

06-May-19

Pretty neat taxi Idea on this Mulie
Pretty neat taxi Idea on this Mulie
Top picture is a Non-Typical Coues Deer. Bottom a giant Mulie

06-May-19

Giant Missouri Whitetail.
Giant Missouri Whitetail.
Top picture, Many of you will recognize Ed Fanchin (BOWUNTR) (on right), Director of Records at Pope & Young Club with Heath Dreger from Saskatchewan. Bottom pic a giant MO typical Whitetail.

06-May-19

Giant elk
Giant elk
Above is Jason Hairston’s Desert Ram. Roy Grace (BOHNTR) is on the left and I’m on the right.

R.I.P. Jason. You always encouraged guys to “go now” and not put off hunts. Sage advice.

06-May-19

Some incredible Mule deer!

06-May-19

During the course of the four measuring days I was able to interact with some incredible hunters/conservationists and fine human beings. Many of the Panel Measures have been measuring for both B&C and P&Y for decades and some have Officially measured more than a 1000 Animals.

Here is a picture of us taken at Bass Pro. The six Ram horns in front of us all measured over 200”. Incredible.

06-May-19

During our visit at Bass Pro we were given a tour of the Jonny Morris “World of Wildlife”!

Boone & Crockett Club has their famous Heads and Horns display in the museum. Spectacular!

06-May-19
A great honor to be selected as a panel judge. Looks like a fun time and great experience. Congrats to each of the judges for the great service you provide. Charlie, thanks for sharing a little of "behind the scenes."

06-May-19
More photos please! Any chance you could post up some of the largest in the sheep, bears and caribou categories that were measured? Any archery trophies invited for that panel? If they are invited to P&Y and B&C are they measured at each, if so, which score is final?

Great stuff Charlie and what an opportunity as a measurer!

06-May-19
It was great measuring with you, Charlie. Some incredible animals for sure. I thought I was doomed when my first assigned animal to measure was the NT whitetail from TN. :). Good way to warm up, eh?

06-May-19
Nick: I will post some more pictures. Quite a few P&Y animals will also be on display at the B&C Convention.

Example: Steve Felix’s Archery World Record Typical American Elk as well as the Giant South Dakota, Archery Ram, Saskatchewan Archery NT Mule Deer and P&Y Archery World Record Brown Bear.

The panel measured scores for P&Y are the final score at B&C. The Records Chairs at each Club have developed this system to better align both Clubs. As you know when Measurers training occurs now you are certified for both Clubs.

06-May-19
Very nice, Charlie! Congrats on being selected!

Are all of the scorers trained and certified to be able to officially score all the different N. American big game species, or are there certain people that score a particular species, and others that specialize in a different species? Which species is your personal favorite animal to score?

06-May-19

Pronghorn
Pronghorn
Here you go Nick! Horns on this Ram (top pic) weighed around 45 pounds.

06-May-19
Outstanding thread, thanks for posting. Looking forward to more pictures.

06-May-19

The display will now be available for public viewing (free of charge) at Bass Pro World Headquarters in Springfield, MO until 8/3/19.

06-May-19
Charlie, thanks for the presentation. Helps to put one's mind forward to the next big game seasons. my best, Paul

06-May-19

06-May-19
Some great trophies taken. Charlie thanks for taking the time to share your pictures.

06-May-19
Incredible animals all around.

06-May-19
Outstanding... thanks for sharing. Ed F

06-May-19

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo

06-May-19
Wow! And I was blown away at P&Y! Those animals are shockingly huge!

07-May-19
Great pictures!! Congratulations on being a part of B&C panel scoring process.

07-May-19
Incredible

07-May-19
One simple thought.

If a person ever questioned the North American conservation model I dare them to show me a better solution.

All of those animals are exceptional and I don't believe we would have them without our model. It may not be perfect BUT it is the best out there.

07-May-19
Just Crazy Huge!!

Thanks for sharing with us C-man

Good luck, Robb

07-May-19
Some really incredible animals there. Also good to see 2 great organizations working together for the greater good. Thanks for sharing, Charlie.

07-May-19
That is quite the honor To hold antlers and horns those animals produced.

07-May-19
Thanks for sharing Charlie! Some amazing animals! Great opportunity!

07-May-19

t-roy: All Official Measurers are trained in all North American Species. Some of us in the East may measure mostly Whitetails while someone in Montana may mostly measure Rams or Elk but we’re trained for all species.

Many of the Panel Measuring Judges and Consultants have vast experience with specific species which proves valuable in special situations. I learned so much while at this event. The guys were very willing to share their expertise.

If you’re interested in learning basic measuring techniques buy the Boone & Crockett Club or Pope & Young Clubs Measuring Manual on their website.

07-May-19

Special shout out to Sitka Gear who gave us each a vest with the Big Game Awards, event, place and date embroidered on the front.

07-May-19
Charlie - It was good to meet you and serve on the panel with you. Thanks for sharing the photos on the thread. Dale Weddle (Kentucky)

07-May-19
That's an awesome display! Thanks for posting is Charlie!

To t-roys question, I believe B&C has or had different catagories of measurers. Official measurers can measure anything. Associate measurers can measure deer, elk, cats and bears. Limited measurers can only measure trophies from their home state.

07-May-19
Charlie, Ed, Roy and others, what an honor to be able to measure this level of animals....Congrats!

Thanks for posting this up Charlie....would love to go to Bass Pro and see this exhibit....maybe a once in a lifetime type event (like I tell my wife my hunting trips are)!

Mark

07-May-19
When you compare the BC animals with the animals at the PY Convention, bow hunters still rock with only a stick in their hand. Great to see them both. my best, Paul

07-May-19
Thanks Charlie, amazing animals. Love to see the world record elk.

07-May-19

Couple more display pics!

07-May-19

If any of you are interested in attending the Convention I’ve attached an agenda with Registration info.

Glad you enjoyed this post! C

07-May-19
Great animals and thanks for sharing Charlie. What happens if the measurements between the 2 groups differ? Since the human element is in play with measuring and reading a tape by fractions of an inch, I can only imagine many times there are some differences. Does an animal get panel scored if that takes place or if the difference is a certain percentage off? Just wondering, especially looking at that NT from TN.

07-May-19
tobywon: All invited animals to the Big Game Display are Panel Measured BECAUSE they are at or near the Top of the Record book. Only the very top trophies are invited and on display each 3 years.

When there is a difference in team scores the teams meet and resolve the differences.

07-May-19
Thanks ,Charlie. Those are incredible animals. Just like one that would make the book.

07-May-19
Why do they have the convention during hunting season?

07-May-19
Awsome Charlie... thanks for sharing.

07-May-19
Ike, there’s not many gun seasons the first week of August that I’m aware of.

07-May-19
INCREDIBLE! Thanks for the post Charlie. Great pics. Very cool.

07-May-19
I'll be hunting for a Booner caribou the first week of August :) Not likely to get one, but a guy can dream!

07-May-19
Thanks Charlie, makes sense

07-May-19
Great thread, Charlie. Thanks for sharing.

08-May-19
Real nice of you to share Charlie. What a fortunate opportunity to get to measure some of the best-of-the-best, world-class trophies.

08-May-19
Amazing animals! Thanks, C!

08-May-19
Charlie, Congrats on such a high honor. And most don't know that measurers do this without any compensation from B&C or the hunter submitting the trophy for scoring. The training required to be a B&C measurer is the most grueling school I've been to including classes from my college days. Mr. Reneau and Mr. King were without a doubt are the best instructors I have had the opportunity to learn from. Thanks for the pictures.

08-May-19
Thanks for sharing the pics Charlie.

Phenomenal animals, and congrats again on being selected to measure.

08-May-19
Thank you Charlie for posting. We are heading down to Springfield in a month, thus I'm glad you mentioned the display being available for viewing. The trophy display is basically my favorite part of a convention.

09-May-19
Franzen: In addition to the Big Game Display try to see the “Wonders of Wildlife” museum. It’s incredible!

09-May-19
Thanks for taking the time to share this Charlie! Good stuff:)

10-May-19
Very cool!

• Sitka Gear