akbow 07-May-19
WapitiBob 07-May-19
SBH 07-May-19
Treeline 07-May-19
BOWUNTR 07-May-19
07-May-19

akbow's embedded Photo
akbow's embedded Photo
Maybe I am missing something, but I just got this letter from OR. It sounds like they have eliminated nearly all of the better units for NR deer hunters. As if OR hasn't already been screwing the NR's bad enough. I already have Oregon on my chopping block for the application process and this may be the straw that breaks the camels back. I've been building points there for 13 years (14 this year). What's the point of having this many points if they just pull all the tags you have been building points for? My apologies to the OR guys if you get offended, but this is really a kick in the nuts. Anybody else get this notice or have any insight whether this is a one time deal or what? I do know a biologist from OR that I am going to ask about it, but was wondering if anyone here knows anything about this.

07-May-19
OR is off the list for me this year.

07-May-19
Guides can draw 50% of the previous years nr allocation, per hunt, and offer guided hunts to non residents. It's been that way for a long time. 139R has only 20 tags, and as such, they alternate the single nr tag between guides and the nr public. That too has gone on for a while and shouldn't come as a surprise. Unfortunately, NR have dealt with the 20 tag or less scenario for many years and our Legislature isn't in a hurry to up the nr quota's.

07-May-19
I hear you Tavis--does that mean you just threw your points away and not apply in OR anymore? I can't bring myself to it. I want to, but as satisfying as it may be personally--I am one of those investors who can't stop throwing good money after bad...

Thanks Wapiti--Another bowsiter pointed me to that and I see it now. Caught me off guard because I had never actually applied for hunts in OR--just PP's, but decided that it is time for me to at least try to cash them in and get out of the OR game in the coming year or two-even if it was a long shot. Now, it looks like next year--I would change them all now to cash out this year, but I am already booked. I think I'm just going to put in for whatever I have points for next year for deer/elk and throw away the antelope points. This is frustrating and not just OR. I want out of most of the states' points game since the ever-evolving ways they keep figuring out how to make the odds longer and points more expensive. If I had it all to do over again, I don't think I'd be in on most of the states. Can't wait to get out--why won't my wife let me retire?!!

07-May-19
You’re 30 years away from that Deer hunt if you’re a nr with 13 points.

07-May-19
Yeah, I get that Wapiti. I didn't catch before I applied that the only way to get that tag was with max points--I was thinking it was a long shot in the 25% draw, but didn't catch there was only one tag. I meant for my plan next year to just pull whatever tags 13 points will get me--even if its a 4 point unit, I think I am going to cash it in and get out while the getting is good (or at least less painful). Like you said--I'd be in for another 30 years at $200/year when I can just go buy a landowner tag in a better unit in Colorado and probably save money and frustration.

07-May-19
The legislature had an opportunity to increase the nr quota but only went to 5%, except antelope, leaving it at 3. It’s a shame but they feel the nr otc opportunity makes up for the small le quota.

07-May-19
Add this to the list of why OR sucks.....theres a few of them:)

What a bummer. I feel for you.

07-May-19
Been applying for those John Day sheep hunts on the outside chance I might win the Lottery and go. Have added deer and elk along the way but just not sure there is anything I want to do there besides black tails and Roosevelt elk and those are OTC for archery. Will take another look at how many points I have but not much worth trying for up there...

07-May-19
Oregon is by far the worst state in the west for non resident draw opportunities... I quit years ago. Ed F

• Sitka Gear