bad karma 10-May-19
BOHNTR 10-May-19
Kodiak 10-May-19
BOHNTR 10-May-19
WYelkhunter 12-May-19
Michael 12-May-19
Thornton 12-May-19
09-May-19
Unless I am wrong, I would guess the ban is for the US. and not World wide.

09-May-19
Once again, an article calls them HUNTERS. Call this what it is, POACHING.

09-May-19
I've also heard of guys getting worldwide bans on hunting from crimes committed in the US. I'm not sure on the legality or the enforcement of that...

09-May-19
The enforcement is from the Judge/jurisdiction who sentences them. If the Judge finds out they went hunting somewhere (anywhere) then they could change the sentence/punishment to a higher fine, jail time, probation etc.

09-May-19
Yes, that would mean the judge doesn’t want them to go hunting ANYWHERE world wide, not that there is some agreement worldwide that prohibits them to hunt.

09-May-19
I have to question world wide ban. I even have to question a ban in all the states? Most states, but not all, are part of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact. Is there is some law I don't know about at a federal level that such a ban could be placed on these criminals due to the fact the poaching happening on NPS land?

09-May-19
I recall some poachers a while back getting a sentence prohibiting them from hunting anywhere in the "universe "

09-May-19
That'd be a bummer if you'd just drawn a Martian tag.

09-May-19
Of course they can, it’s called Probation! If the judge finds out they went hunting any where in the world then it’s a violation of their imposed probation and consequences follow!

09-May-19
X2 wild....for one in order to leave the state let alone the country you would need permission. The hunting ban is meaningless if they are on probation.

09-May-19
I wonder what the SCOTUS would say about it. I just don't see US courts having any jurisdiction in other countries. I could be wrong; I'm no lawyer. OTOH, I guess a judge can slap you with whatever he wants if he's releasing you back into the wild.

If you murder someone in another country, can you be tried for it in the US?

10-May-19
poachers don't really care. I have seen the same guy getting arrested for poaching elk in Colorado 10 years apart and 200 miles between locations. I also met a guy using pods....he got arrested pretty quick too. He had animals stacked behind his camp like cordwood......stiff as a board from POD poison.

10-May-19
Probation is considered as an act of grace by the court, in lieu of a jail sentence. It is common in probation to prohibit drug use, or alcohol use, particularly if the underlying crime was drug or alcohol related. For example, if one was prohibited from drinking on a DUI probation, and went across the border to Canada, had a few drinks and dropped a hot UA upon his return for the US, he would be facing revocation of his probation.

10-May-19
WW is correct. While you cannot impose a law outside the US (Fed) or outside the respective state (state court) a magistrate can impose terms and conditions of the offender’s probation that can prohibit hunting anywhere. Having said that, it would be the probation officer’s job to investigate any allegation that the offender hunted and present the those facts to the original court to bring a new charge of violation of probation.

10-May-19
Were they tried by the United Nations?

10-May-19
WW is correct. While you cannot impose a law outside the US (Fed) or outside the respective state (state court) a magistrate can impose terms and conditions of the offender’s probation that can prohibit hunting anywhere. Having said that, it would be the probation officer’s job to investigate any allegation that the offender hunted and present the those facts to the original court to bring a new charge of violation of probation.

12-May-19
Some of you just don't get it. LOL... They judge has no jurisdiction out side his area and can't impose law out side of that either. But he can stipulate that if it is proven that they have hunted any where in the world for the period of time he can implement a harsher sentence and fines.

12-May-19
I would be very surprised if his probation officer let him leave his home state let alone the country anyway. So hunting outside the US would be a mute point.

12-May-19
No way they could enforce it.

• Sitka Gear