fubar racin 25-May-19
Bou'bound 26-May-19
midwest 26-May-19
Bowboy 26-May-19
Franklin 26-May-19
osage 26-May-19
25-May-19

Mike the Carpenter's Link
Did this write up on the Bowsite Community Forum to get away from all the Political BS that gets in the way of having fun in life (hence the title’s name). Actually I tried to petition Pat to change the tile to simply Makin Bacon, but alas not yet. Either way, enjoy the read at the link. Make some of your own bacon and let us all know how you like it.

25-May-19
Dang from the title of your thread I already had my response ready.

I was going to say for all those that smoke i think you are idiot's. Well I still think that.

Bacon what's not to love.

25-May-19
Awesome job putting this together. You make it look easy. thanks

25-May-19
That's a GREAT tutorial, Mike! I've made bacon before but used a brown sugar cure with the sodium nitrate. Didn't realize you could cure it without.

I've also made Canadian bacon with a pork loin and cowboy bacon using a pork shoulder "Boston butt". Both very good but you won't get the grease off for frying the eggs. :-)

Again, nicely done and thanks for sharing!

25-May-19

25-May-19
If you use a cure is should be sodium nitrite. Sodium nitrate is used for long time cures such as those unrefrigerated sausages you see hanging in stores. Sodium nitrite is commonly called pink salt or instacure. Not trying to be a know it all but the "ate" and "ite" are often thought to be the same thing.

25-May-19
Damn, I want some bacon. Mike is my new best friend.

25-May-19
We agree on something Pat.

26-May-19
educated people can and do stupid things

26-May-19
Correct, osage. My post should have said sodium nitrite not nitrate. I always get them mixed up.

26-May-19
That bacon looks yummy! You'd make a great camp cook you for hire?

26-May-19
The "Cure" is really important if you plan to partially smoke for flavor. Mike "hot smoked" his bacon basically cooking it which is correct.

Never just smoke without adding a cure. Just smoking is the perfect conditions for botulism to grow.

26-May-19
I use an offset smoker where the temp never gets much above 225 deg F. What's called the cold smoke method, so a dab of pink salt is necessary as the ribs etc are done at 145 deg F. It takes a much higher temp to kill botulism.

• Sitka Gear