Buffalo1 26-Jun-19
lewis 26-Jun-19
BIG BEAR 27-Jun-19
Zebrakiller 27-Jun-19
Jasper 27-Jun-19
standswittaknife 27-Jun-19
Jasper 27-Jun-19
06-Jun-19
Sheep... anywhere anytime.. I killed a great RM ram years ago and wasn’t for me.. sooo... your turn..

06-Jun-19
Zebras. Just don’t turn me on. But if you asked me if I’d rather hunt Zebras or golf I’d be picking a white stripe to zip a bread head through in a hurry.

06-Jun-19
Antelope out of a blind. Sitting there all day sweating like a prisoner of war isn't what I call "fun".

06-Jun-19
I'll hunt anything with the right group of people, etc...but will not go out of my way for Africa, Hogs, or penned exotics.

06-Jun-19
No desire to hunt birds except pheasant. And that is because I remember walking behind my dad in the cornfields of MN in the '40's .

Terry

06-Jun-19
Probably get blasted for this, but wild turkeys do not trip my trigger at all...nor exotics or African game.

On the flip side my personal favorite animals to hunt are moose and black bear.

06-Jun-19
Africa. Sitting in a blind while a bunch of animals wander around like a herd of cattle doesn’t do it for me.

06-Jun-19
Never had the desire to go to Africa or hunt high fenced ranches. Just doesn’t float my boat!

06-Jun-19
Bears over a barrel of food. Africa doesn't trip my trigger either.

06-Jun-19
Doves or pigeons or African game.never hunted out west.

06-Jun-19
No desire to hunt elephant or giraffe. Too much work packing them out.

06-Jun-19
Nothing in a pen does it for me. Turkeys dont trill me anymore either, killed enough of the dumb birds to know they are dumb birds. Hogs either. Always felt like I was killing groceries rather then hunting. Baited bear hunts with an outfitter....hasn't been my cup of tea either. I think I wouldn't mind it as much if I did the baiting myself or with friends.

06-Jun-19
LOL Lou and Midwest !

Id have to say giraffe and elephant but regarding NA I am having a very hard time finding the drive to pursue sheep or grizzly--and that lack of drive includes saving to fund one of those hunts . I said I would try to hunt them before doing repeat hunts but I have little interest to hunt them and its getting worse. Personally, I found that interesting.

I am, however, more excited than ever to hunt whitetails, turkey and elk.

Cool thread:)

06-Jun-19
Ha....no desire to hunt wild sheep is akin to saying you don't like beautiful women (JMHO).

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's a rainbow-colored world of variety out there ;-)

Honestly there's nothing in the wild I wouldn't hunt. OTOH there are species that motivate me far more than others. Such as.....anything that lives in high alpine environs. You gotta love the view from up there.

06-Jun-19
I agree Midwest those elephant backstraps and quarters would break you back. :)

06-Jun-19
In NA-red fox, seen too many of them bowhunting and marathon training when they show their personalities, just does not interest me in the least. Same thing with bears, no interest, I donate all my points in WI.

Africa- Pretty much everything, especially elephants, giraffes, and leopards for whatever reason.

06-Jun-19
If I could only hunt Big Bears and Wild Sheep the rest of my life, I would be a happy man. With that said, whitetails and elk have lost their "flare" with me, and I've never been a fan of hunting turkeys. Funny Eyad, we are going opposite directions! :)

06-Jun-19
I would say there are more hunting methods I have no desire to do rather than species. Like Lou, I don't like blind hunting for antelope but if it came down to the wire, I'll sit in one to help fill a tag because I really like to eat antelope. I've only killed one in three hunts but it was decoyed to 10 yards. I think that ruined me. I also have little desire to hunt antelope at any other time than during the rut. The weather is cooler and they are a blast to hunt when they are chasing and fighting.

06-Jun-19
Exotic game never interested me.

06-Jun-19
Anything in Africa, nothing over there does it for me.

I think someone mentioned this earlier too but red fox is another one. I used to shoot them like coyotes and thought about as much of them until I had a den of kits by my house one summer. Never had so much fun watching little critters grow up. I have an illogical soft spot in my heart for foxes now as a result and will never shoot another one. You guys are welcome to them but I'll not kill one.

06-Jun-19
Antelope out of a blind. Sitting there all day sweating ,,,Never had the desire to go to Africa or hunt high fenced ranches,,,, Africa. Sitting in a blind while a bunch of animals wander around like a herd of cattle

06-Jun-19
2X what Nick stated, "I'll hunt anything with the right group of people, etc...but will not go out of my way for Africa, Hogs, or penned exotics."

06-Jun-19
No Zebra, Giraffe or American Bison for me. I do not mind if you do though.

06-Jun-19
X2 Brotsky, my soft spot for foxes is illogical as well. I'm a diehard pheasant hunter and they kill enough of them, but I've had a den next to my house for the last 2 years and I really enjoy watching them.

06-Jun-19
LOL Sticksender! You and Kota have a few more gray hairs than me, so being home with my little ones may also play a role--as just don't want to be away much anymore. Once baseball and other activities are done then I might change my tune.

But I stand by my original post. Now mountain goats I would hunt again so terrain isn't the argument either. To each their own---or as someone's tattoo on their arm said the other day...…

"To each is own"...…..:0

06-Jun-19
What hair?

06-Jun-19
"What hair? "

Ha ha....Touche'!

06-Jun-19
Antelope out of a blind for me too. I think I lasted about half an hour one day, and that was all I could take of it. Can't imagine going to Africa either.

06-Jun-19
Gotta be snipes... I hunted those buggers with a gunny sack more than once in my youth. Too elusive for me. ;) There are some critters that honestly don’t appeal to me like Giraffe or monkeys but I would be willing to try anything on someone else’s dime.

06-Jun-19
Oh... and cats, any of them. I've had dozens of opportunities at bobcats when season is in and just watch them stroll on by. Kind of like the illogical reasons some of you guys won't shoot a fox.

You want to, then have at it.

06-Jun-19
I have zero desire to go to Africa, hunt exotics that are outside their traditional continent (except for tahr and chamois in NZ - dunno why), or anything high-fence.

If I were magically transported to Africa and a bow was placed in my hands, I can see myself enjoying hunting everything there except elephant. I truly have zero desire to hunt them and it's not because they're iconic. I just have this thing about getting squashed. Bears don't frighten me at all and for some reason, I'm ok with getting ripped to shreds. But the idea of getting squashed just turns me off.

06-Jun-19
I don't "hunt" fox, yotes, coons or skunks. I "kill" them every chance I get. Same with feral cats. There's no fun in it, just saving my game species the best way I can.

I have zero desire to hunt Africa, ... Grizzly's, Bison, sheep or mountain goats. But I will continue to fight for YOUR right to hunt them.

06-Jun-19
"I have zero desire to go to Africa, hunt exotics that are outside their traditional continent (except for tahr and chamois in NZ - dunno why), or anything high-fence."

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the topic as well.

06-Jun-19
Africa, sheep, goats, turkeys or any high fence

06-Jun-19
No desire for most African game, turkeys have lost their fun as well. I would hunt the American Buffalo (bison) but only with a Sharps Rifle and only the plains. I am not even sure if that is available...What can I say I'm one for nostalgia..

06-Jun-19
I once thought that I wouldn’t want to kill a panda, but the urge is very strong now.

But I’d hunt most anything.

06-Jun-19
Ill hunt anything. Not much of a bird guy though.

06-Jun-19
No desire for most African game, turkeys have lost their fun as well. I would hunt the American Buffalo (bison) but only with a Sharps Rifle and only the plains. I am not even sure if that is available...What can I say I'm one for nostalgia..

06-Jun-19
Ambush, while you cannot hunt a panda, you could go to the Far East of Russia and hunt those White Lipped Black Bears, they act just like a panda and get huge! I saw some photos recently, looked unreal.

06-Jun-19
Huh. Got me thinking. Can't think of anything totally off the table. When I get to where I can't handle the mountains I'd guess a hide in Africa would work. Would be fun. All hunts don't have to be 3 course steak or lobster dinners.... I kinda like an ice cream bar or a piece of pie now and then. Doesn't make the lobster taste any different... Might event try and shoot a whitetail someday.... heheheheh....

Any port in a storm. Have a couple of electrified badminton rackets hanging here and there for mosquitoes and flies..... I've laid on the floor spotlighting mice in our old kitchen with a bb gun..... yeah, I know.... baited... was still fun...

"not much that walks or crawls at one time or another...." William Munny, out of Missoura....

06-Jun-19
Eyad, that tattoo is funny! Like in the movie "We're the Millers" where the new boyfriend has a tattoo on his neck, "No Ragrets". The dad asks, looking at it, "No regrets? Not even one?" "Nope!"

06-Jun-19
As many have said, African game doesn’t get me going. I don’t know that I’d have much of a desire to hunt grizz either. Maybe once, just to try it but not sure it would be an annual goal by any means.

06-Jun-19
No Africa for me, either, and no exotics. The one exception was a DIY wilderness hunt with a couple buddies in Australia for crazy-wild, free range Scottish Highland red stags during the roar. That.....was a blast and as challenging a hunt as I've ever been on.

Really, I have no desire to hunt anything with a guide. I've been one, and my hunters were never anything more than follow-along shooters of the animals I put them on, using my knowledge and skills.

06-Jun-19
Africa, brown or polar bears, mtn lions, muskox, gators, carp.

06-Jun-19
Jaq, good point on the guide. That doesn’t do it for me either.

06-Jun-19
Cool thread here.

I'll pretty much hunt anything I can. Like some of you said, maybe never hunt exotics though.

I am like kota-man though. I would hunt sheep every year if I could afford it.

06-Jun-19
No desire to do Live hunt from CT on bowsite. Seems terrible unproductive.

06-Jun-19

Hawkeye's Link
Like in the movie "We're the Millers" where the new boyfriend has a tattoo on his neck, "No Ragrets". The dad asks, looking at it, "No regrets? Not even one?" "Nope!"

Ha ha ha ha!! A classic!!! Thanks for the midday laugh:)

06-Jun-19
If it involves an Adventure I'm all for it. Africa - like to experience it but Zebra N Giraffe not so much

06-Jun-19
No desire for African Game or ducks/geese.

also anything that can eat me if I miss.

06-Jun-19
X3 with Nick. No desire for Africa, High Fence or exotics. Highly doubt I will ever put in for Sheep or Goat here in Idaho as they do nothing for me either.

06-Jun-19
"also anything that can eat me if I miss." Given your handle, that's hilarious! LOL

06-Jun-19
Antelope out of a blind for me too. I think I lasted about half an hour one day, and that was all I could take of it. Can't imagine going to Africa either.

06-Jun-19
I'll hunt any kind of animal there is. Some of them don't get me going too much. Some of them I won't go too far out of my way to hunt. And some of them I dream about constantly.

I've never been a fan of exotics, but I was on a hog hunt last year and there were exotics available, and I thorned one of those tame bastards and had fun doing it. The exception would be aoudad and axis. I really want an aoudad and axis buck.

Bears and cougars aren't that important to me. I personally like antlers and horns better. But if a bear or cougar hunt came up at the right time in my life, I'm sure I'd book it and have a hell of a time hunting.

Mountain goats. . . . I put in for goat tags out west, but I don't think I'd ever book a guided goat hunt. There are just other animals I would prefer. They are just not that impressive to me from a trophy standpoint. I'd rather spend the money for a Spanish ibex hunt than a mountain goat hunt.

Small game and birds. . . . I could get into pheasants if I lived where they live. But it's a travel hunt for me, and I'd rather travel for big game. I do some waterfowl hunting every year, but only when I don't think I should be deer hunting (which is almost never). Squirrels and bunnies, pretty much no interest if I wasn't with a kid who was into it.

Elephant. . . . If I won the lottery, I'd book 3 hunts the very next day. Elephant in Namibia with a double rifle would be the first. I've got the outfit picked out. I just don't have $100k that my wife wouldn't kill me for spending (Literally. She would murder me in my sleep. She's told me she knows how to kill me and get away with it. If I ever die suspiciously, please have the coroner check for unnatural levels of insulin)

06-Jun-19
and Eyad, I'm disappointed in your lack of sheep desire. :)

06-Jun-19
I like the challenge/hunt, so sitting around a water hole isn't high in my book....not saying I won't be doing it from time to time if I draw a lope tag.

Outside of that, not much interest in Coues deer or brown/grizz. Coues are like mini versions of deer back home in MO. Not sure why i'd want to kill myself tromping through the desert for 25 pounds of meat.

My dad killed a nice brown bear in AK (fall)10 years back and the guide left the carcass there due to trichinosis. I felt terrible for such a waste. I know it would be gone by other animals in a week, but didn't feel right to me.

06-Jun-19
"….and Eyad, I'm disappointed in your lack of sheep desire. :) "

I still love to hunt guys and still apply for sheep tags. My point was simply that in the past Id work extra, push and sacrifice to chase certain dreams like moose, musk ox, bison etc and that same level of 'push' isn't there for sheep. Maybe Im in a different place now than I was when I was single with no kids as didn't get married until many of my adventures were experienced.

If I had the funds after all my other responsibilities were met (college funds etc), and my kids were older and out with their friends (forgetting about Dad) then things might change? Hope I'm making sense?

I think the guys who have taken sheep have accomplished one of the toughest things in bowhunting so I hope nobody took that as disrespectful. I was just speaking from the gut on what I was feelings at the moment....and typed as much. Sometimes that's gets a man in trouble ;)

I do recall saying the same about cougar...then tried it...4 times ..and became obsessed with a big cat.

So maybe Freud was right and I'm afraid of the obsession aspect...;0

Again....cool thread!

06-Jun-19
I’ll hunt anything, anywhere. It’s just some methods of hunting that are rather tedious.

I don’t find sitting very enjoyable for hunting anything. Not a fan of sitting in a box/ground blind or in a tree stand and really don’t understand how anyone could enjoy it. I do it when it’s necessary but absolutely love putting my sneaking skills up against any kind of critter.

Not a bird hunter and can’t hit anything with a shotgun. Definitely don’t go out of my way to shoot any kind of bird.

06-Jun-19
Nothing against African game, but a lot of the videos I see of the big ones there's ten dudes with a gun hunting stuff that they road hunt for one guy doesn't look very fun. And I wouldn't really want to go to Africa anyway.

I'd shoot an exotic in Texas if it was paid for and I was out there for something else, but wouldn't go out of my way to spend much on it. Axis or fallow would be awesome. Would rather do it free range in Hawaii though.

Also, best quote of 2019 goes to. "Also anything that can eat me if I miss." - Sir Misalots LOL

06-Jun-19
"I do recall saying the same about cougar...then tried it...4 times ..and became obsessed with a big cat."

There's something to that.

I was never really excited about hunting Mountain Goat, but on Kodiak, as soon as goat season opened up, I didn't give a hoot about deer anymore. And my first sheep hunt last year in the Brooks completely changed how I think about hunting. I've always wanted to hunt sheep and I've hunted deer and elk in areas that there were sheep, but stalking sheep with a bow was a real eye-opener. It's an absolutely incredible hunt.

A similar situation with Coues deer. I figured it was something I'd do once or twice. That was 5 years ago and I've gone every year since and will again this January. They are exceptionally challenging to arrow (for me at least) and you can hunt them in temperate weather in January...

06-Jun-19
No desire for Africa. I don't think I could shoot a griz, kinda my symbol for AMERICA along with the Bald Eagle. All others in America i'm good.

06-Jun-19
Similar to Sir Misalot. I have no urge to hunt anything that wants to kill me. Big bears (Grizz, polar) elephant, cape buffalo. A zebra is too horse like for me. Shooting a giraffe does nothing for me either.

06-Jun-19
I have zero desire to do the African safari thing.

I'll pass on any kind of waterhole or bait hunting, not my thing.

Bears, meh. Lukewarm, I could take it or leave it. Not going out of my way or allocating much resources. Same with turkeys. And hogs.

I'm not sure I ever want to hunt sheep or goats. I love the hell out of elk hunting but I'm not sure I'd enjoy being way up in goat country for a week. Overall I'm pretty content with my seasonal routines and don't aspire to do a lot of different hunts. I get a kick out of taking the .22 for a walk a couple times a year sniping some squirrels.

06-Jun-19
I love bow hunting most everything in NA, but like Kota, like sheep and bears the best along with Coues deer. When I was in Africa I had a few species I did not want to shoot that were within bow range including a large water buck, blesbuck, blue wildebeest (would love to have shot a black wildebeest), red hartebeest, zebra, giraffe & elephant.

I am not a turkey hunter at heart either, but love hunting pheasants, huns, chukars and quail with my wife and our Vizsla...side-by-side shotguns and super long hikes in the wide open places from AZ up to BC, including all the western states except for California, Utah and Wyoming so far.

06-Jun-19
Snipes i haven't heard someone talk about those in year, hilarious. I thought that was just country boys being stupid in Illinois but they've spread across the whole Midwest apparently. Squirrels, Turkeys and anything that involves driving country roads, getting out walking 200yards and shooting your animal. Most of Africa as well except the KUDU

06-Jun-19
Anything I'm not going to put on the dinner table. I see no reason to kill it just to say I did.

06-Jun-19
Pretty much like it all.......Africa is AWESOME....Cape Buffalo in the bush.... close contact are you kidding me... but I agree sitting in a concrete hut next to a concrete water hole not too exciting...

06-Jun-19
Whitetails...from a stand (or anything from a stand/blind). I'd love to get one from the ground though. When I lived in the L48, I spent more time in the field hunting for antelope, but was never able to sit on a waterhole-as soon as I glassed something and realized it wasn't coming to the waterhole I was at--the stalk was on. Unfortunately, I never punched a tag, so I get why they are hunting from blinds-just can't do it myself. For all the Africa haters out there, you don't have to shoot your animals from a blind. I shot all mine spot/stalk. It isn't nearly as successful and your outfitter will be pressing you to sit stands because you'll pay more trophy fees, but if you book it upfront as paying the daily fee instead of packages, they at least know in advance you aren't going to be tempted to shoot everything that walks in to drink. Just my opinion, of course, take it for what you paid for it.

06-Jun-19
I'll be the first to admit I'm a whimp when it comes to heights. There's a reason I never started buying sheep points, even though I could have been in on the ground floor. I'd love a ram, but there's no way I could hunt them where most of them need to be hunted.

06-Jun-19
Texas dall sheep

06-Jun-19
No desire to kill any big cats, also no African game. I would say lots of things, not cause I care what anyone else hunts just certain things are not for me. Turkeys I just think are as dumb as a box of rocks, killed a bunch with a bow when I was younger, not interested anymore. Shawn

06-Jun-19
Snipe are delicious. Tiny though. We hunted the crap out of them on the edges of the rice fields we duck hunted. Hard to hit those crazy little bastards!

06-Jun-19

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
You guys that mentioned foxes yup I’m with you there! At work and he was just taking a nap. Cute bugger.

06-Jun-19
No interest in exotics, anything behind a high fence, or a baited bear hunt (unless perhaps I was the one who found the area and did the baiting).

06-Jun-19

06-Jun-19
I'll hunt lizards and cockroaches if that's what's available to me. Like my women, I don't discriminate much!

06-Jun-19
Been to Africa three times, Alaska four times, much of the mountain states and a lot of the Midwest. Still looking for something I don’t like to hunt. Doubt I’ll ever find it, but I’ll keep trying.

06-Jun-19
If you can limit out on snipe, you’ll be all the talk on the next dove shoot. ;-)

06-Jun-19
I shot a black bear last year. If I do it again it'd be spot and stalk only. Nothing in africa moves me.

06-Jun-19
A baboon. I wouldn’t waste one of Matt Burke’s arrows on a baboon. I’d happily wreck one of his shooting a turd pile but a fellow has limits. :)

06-Jun-19
Turtles

06-Jun-19
Elk

06-Jun-19
And......three......two.......one....

06-Jun-19
Get a rope.

06-Jun-19
Elk are way over rated ;)

06-Jun-19

JohnMC's Link
RyanRc said:

06-Jun-19
I guess I'd have to say I never think about African game ever. I have two animals left on my bucket list that will fit fill me. Brown bear and moose.

I guess after I kill one of each, I'll just quit hunting. :)

I wouldn't even think of killing one with a gun.

06-Jun-19
Fussy bunch'a buggers.

Not many animals I look at that I'm not thinking "hmm, where is the sweet spot on that critter?". I shot ten animals in RSA and liked everyone of them including a zebra and baboon. Baboons are tougher to arrow than a wise old whitetail and if I ever went back I'd save a few days just for them.

I honestly think for some folks, if they know they will never have the opportunity to hunt a certain animal, they tell themselves they don't want to anyway. Not everyone, but some.

06-Jun-19
If it flies, it don’t die. Nothing smells worse than bird innards. Maybe an ostrich?

06-Jun-19
I have no desire to kill a snapping turtle. Also have a very tough time using frogs as bait. As far as hunting, no interest in a giraffe or rhino.

06-Jun-19
Africa, Texas exotics and buffalo hold no interest to me

06-Jun-19
Assuming I could afford to hunt anything I have never wanted to hunt sheep or goats and I'll probably never shoot another bear.

Id pay to hunt Africa again or to hunt fenced hogs. Many people don't care for either but it's fun to me.

06-Jun-19
Mark, glad to see you back!!!

07-Jun-19
I talked with my buddy about this just the other day. I’d hunt just about anything.

That said, international hunts are way down the list for me besides Australia Water Buffalo and NZ Chamois/Tahr. No clue why. NA29 wise, I have very little desire to chase all the different caribou species, I’ll never hunt all the sheep (though I certainly would if I won the trip via raffle), and I doubt I leap any major hurdles to hunt Tule or Roosevelt Elk. A bou is a bou to me. An Elk an Elk.

We posed the question as an Alaskan Resident, what species would you give up first (excluding Elk musk ox and bison due to the difficulty of getting tags). My answer kinda surprised me.... Sheep. I’d rank Goats, Sitka Blacktails, Grizz, Brown Bear, Black Bear, Moose, and Caribou all ahead of Sheep on the fun scale personally. I’ll still sheep hunt every single year, but if you held me at gunpoint and said give me one of your tags, I’d hand over my sheep permit.

07-Jun-19
I'm with TEmbry, subspecies to fill out a list do not move the needle for me, especially if they are based simply on an imaginary line drawn by an organization. I'd much rather hunt in different terrain, or use different tactics on the same species rather than worrying about following arbitrary rules to acquire a certain subspecies.

Somewhat related, my desire to hunt Coues deer is currently very low. I'm sure it's probably fun, but I'll spend my limited time elsewhere for now.

07-Jun-19
I've talked to scores of people that have hunted Africa and I never heard one of them say "oh that sucked" to the contrary pretty much everyone loves it .....

07-Jun-19
Africa isn't something I want to do, at least not at the moment. There is just way too much adventure to be had in NA in my opinion.

I never had any interest in "exotics" until I was stationed in Hawaii. I'll likely fly to Hawaii to hunt free range Axis deer (native to India) every year until I'm pushing daisies. Axis are small like deer, act similar to elk, and taste better than chocolate or my favorite IPA.

07-Jun-19
Turkeys bore the hell out of me...….

Sitting in a blind over water isn't for me either...….

Africa isn't that much of a draw to me...…

Good luck, Robb

07-Jun-19
Never say never....but right now, Africa has "almost" zero draw for me. I say almost, because of water buffalo. No desire to hunt domestic exotics either.

Is there any way I can get all of t-roy's elk points transferred to my accounts?

07-Jun-19
No fish in a barrel hunting here ...or hunt game I don't like to eat.

07-Jun-19
"Probably get blasted for this, but wild turkeys do not trip my trigger at all..."

Me also. Same with ice fishing.

07-Jun-19
It's not so much about the animal in question....and it is more about the manner of hunting them. I suppose I don't need to list species, because almost all are good with me. Just don't put me inside a pop-up camo tent and expect me to shoot what walks past....in any weather. I won't shoot animals raised in a fenced environment and conditioned to eat or drink at a man-made kill site. Primates: I have no will to shoot an animal which can give me the finger as it dies.

I'm pretty bored with local whitetails, but trying to slip around the house and bow-shoot them while they eat our hostas and hydrangeas is great fun.

07-Jun-19
I can't think of much I wouldn't hunt, providing of course it was legal.

07-Jun-19
Wouldn't do a canned hunt. That's about it. ....

07-Jun-19
Someday we may all have to face the hard fact that our days afield are over. At that point we’d all be happy to have the chance to spend just one more day chasing some of these species we have “no interest” in. We’re all lucky to have choices now boys. Make the most of it...

07-Jun-19
bears. I was 24-25 & killed the first one I ever saw in the woods @ 10 yards with a bow quick clean kill & when I got to it I can't explain it but I just got this gut wrenching feeling of remorse unlike anything I'd ever experienced before. I was proud of my accomplishment & it was great eating but never had the desire to kill another out of dozens of opportunities. I just admire them

07-Jun-19
The list of what and where I’ve hunted is pretty small compared to most here. So, there’s really nothing I wouldn’t try with the right buds to go with. As far as Africa, I’d love to do it old world safari way.

07-Jun-19
Coues deer

07-Jun-19
Nothing in Africa except a Buff maybe(with bow only).No more bears.Waterfowl and upland but only with dogs.Deer and elk and hopefully one more goat but body wise,running out of time on that. Winter time coyotes is near deer/elk.Right up there,particularly on snowshoes.Coyotes will survive Armageddon.

07-Jun-19
My problem is I look forward so much to deer season, by the time I'm burnt out on it there isn't time to do anything else. I could plug in a hunt for something in September, but from October and into November it's whitetail time. And then there's the whole limited budget thing. If I hunt my home state and another state for whitetails, I'm probably not going to have the cash for another hunt for whatever else. Plus there's no place I'd rather be than in a tree watching the whitetail's world unfold.

07-Jun-19
I used to love hunting turkeys in western NE when I could get out in the canyons and run around. Now that I am in eastern NE its not much fun and I haven't done it in several years. I also used to want to do alligator gar, but not so much anymore. Thinking about how long it takes for one to get to a good size turned me off to that.

07-Jun-19
No plans to hunt off the NAC . No plans to ever use a guide hunting but have for fishing . No desire to shoot or at something I'm not eating except rough fish, buzzards , coyotes , armadillo and rodents . Would shoot a cougar given the chance and have a tag.

07-Jun-19
Every time I think of setting in a hut in Africa, I think of Pat's "Black Mamba" --- NO THANKS!!!!!

07-Jun-19
Few things I wouldn't hunt with my bow. I have no desire to shoot anything with a rifle other than a coyote. I have enjoyed some rifle hunts I have been on with friends but the last deer I shot with a rifle I felt nothing and I told myself I would never do that again.

07-Jun-19
I don't want to hunt in Africa with the exception of maybe a water buffalo, but I certainly would have hunted there 150 years ago...also I can't sit still for more than an hour or two, so that puts a lot of blind and tree stand hunting out of my wheelhouse.

07-Jun-19
Pav said it well "never say never" but I never see my self putting out money for Africa, and the zebra being the least desirable. but then again Life has a way.....

oz

07-Jun-19
You guys on the zebra and giraffe. . . . .I never had a desire for a zebra either. But when my wife and I went in 2016, she decided she needed a zebra rug. So I hunted them. They are damn hard to stalk, and really fun. I would hunt zebra again anytime.

I was offered a giraffe then, but had no interest whatsoever. But I'm going back in 2020, and my wife has decided she needs a giraffe rug. So that is at the top of the list. Should be fun trying to get it for her :)

Of 10 species I took in 2016, the only one that non-hunters ask about is the zebra. They always say "How could you kill a horse?" I always respond, "I grew up with horses. Rodeoed on horses. Owned horses. And love horses. But I've never yet spent time with a horse that I didn't want to shoot at one point in time."

07-Jun-19
On a hunt in Zimbabwe south of Victoria Falls, it was a Zebra that was most wary coming into a water hole, (with the exception of baboons). As I said earlier I wasn't interested in shooting a Zebra, but he was wary as heck....standing in the shadows for several hours observing before he came in for a drink.

As a parallel, I had wild horses that were way more wary than antelope coming into a water hole in NW Colorado. I'd have shot a horse if legal, just not a zebra!

07-Jun-19
I have enjoyed hunting in many areas including multiple trips to Alaska, Canada and Africa. In the big picture of life, the hunts today mean very little to me. No need to be a serial animal killer. I understand why interest in hunting and hunting culture is declining, the trend will continue.

07-Jun-19
I have enjoyed hunting in many areas including multiple trips to Alaska, Canada and Africa. In the big picture of life, the hunts today mean very little to me. No need to be a serial animal killer. I understand why interest in hunting and hunting culture is declining, the trend will continue.

07-Jun-19
Bake, that is hilarious. And true! Zebra are very Wiley. And taste great. As does horse.

07-Jun-19
Quote Bake: " But I've never yet spent time with a horse that I didn't want to shoot at one point in time." bwahaha, so true!!

My wife wanted the zebra rug, but plainly told me that if I shot a giraffe, choose the mount carefully, 'cause that's the only thing that will be sharing my bed for the duration of our marriage.

07-Jun-19
This thread continues to kill me...

07-Jun-19
I have a drive to hunt just about anything, excepting any high-fence animals. There are animals I never give much consideration, like African game, but if the right situation presented itself, I can't imagine not trying it.

07-Jun-19
I’ve learned to not desire to hunt things I cannot afford so Stone Sheep doesn’t appeal to me.

I wouldn’t mind working for the border patrol though.

07-Jun-19
Ive never had a desire to hunt antelope, and everything in Africa is a spike anyway so I'm not dying to hunt there either. I have plenty of NA game I'd like to tackle before venturing off continent.

07-Jun-19
This thread is fun to check in on and see the differences in our mindsets, as hunters. As some have mentioned above, the only thing keeping me from hunting some species, is available cash. Other species... they just don't float my boat and I would never entertain it, even with available cash.

07-Jun-19
Cash should be an excluded variable, imo. The title question states "rather." That implies you could but would not.

07-Jun-19
"Cash should be an excluded variable, imo. The title question states "rather." That implies you could but would not." Yup, but some mentioned or eluded to it above. That's why I said it.

07-Jun-19
Anything in the Arctic

07-Jun-19
Exotics for me or anything fenced. As far as you guys not interested in Africa....you obviously haven't been there. Not a canned South Africa fenced in hunt....but a real, authentic wild, remote African trip....you'd want to go back in a heartbeat. I can do without giraffe though.

07-Jun-19
"Anything in the Arctic"...Yeah, but you also weren't crazy about sheep hunting and look where that has lead you... ;)

07-Jun-19
Zack, you must have lost more than just your hair...

Love the Arctic and would hunt the Antarctic for penguins if I could!

Hell, if money was no object, would be up for hunting anything, anywhere.... After I had hunted and taken all the world's mountain critters :-) Love hunting the high country!

Some of those "sit-on-your-butt" hunts could wait till I was completely worn down from hunting big mountains!

07-Jun-19
Humans but, I have mad respect for the guys that do.

07-Jun-19
I’m agreeing with you, EmbryOklahoma.

07-Jun-19
For all of those horribly misguided anti-turkey hunters.. is it safe to say that you haven’t hunted mountain merriams?

This coming from a bow hunter how doesn’t ever see the need to chase sheep again.. friends don’t let friends draw sheep tags..

07-Jun-19
I really have never had a desire to hunt African species.....even when I had a free hunt opportunity. I simply donated it to someone who did.

07-Jun-19
Bear for me.

07-Jun-19
At this point in my life, I can not afford Africa and do not like the blind hunt type of hunt, but if some one would invite me to go along for free and it as a spot and stalk hunt, I would go. I called my bear in using a predator call, that was an exciting hunt but one bear was enough for me. I need a moose and Desert Sheep here in Colorado for all ten big game species so that would be great but the odds of drawing are slim to none. Any high fence hunt, I would not consider at all.

07-Jun-19
Eastern whitetail deer. No longer care for them. Coues, blacktail and mule deer are fine.

07-Jun-19
Musk ox.

07-Jun-19
Antelope from a blind. Bears over bait. Mt Lions behind dogs. Any of those I'd be thrilled to kill one on one on the ground.

07-Jun-19
Africa, birds of any sort, and hogs don't trip my trigger. Did I say it right? "Trip my trigger?"

Bears, moose, and elk really trip my trigger.

Not much interest in deer these days.

07-Jun-19
And just to be clear. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of those and I understand a whole bunch of people on here make a good living doing these things and I read a whole lot of hunt reports where people had the hunt of their life. I get it. Just not my style. Not saying it's wrong.

08-Jun-19
Snipe mentioned... thinking about it I wouldn't hunt snipe again.... my older brothers took me once... at night. No shotguns, we used a gunny sack..... rotten smelly bastages.... never again..... maybe it's better with a shotgun....

08-Jun-19
Like Paul, I will not kill a bear again 2 spot n stalk with my bow is all I need, Blinds over water not for me. give me the mountains and walking is all I need!!

08-Jun-19
Wild horses... although I agree many need to be managed.

08-Jun-19
Birds of any type, goats or sheep i will never hunt and im ok with that, bear, deer, elk and moose is all i need

08-Jun-19
Those not wishing to do the mountain sheep hunts is it due to the absurd price for NR's or lack of desire? A mountain sheep hunt is something ill never forget and they dont taste bad at all. The high fence ranches and africa hunts dont tickle my fancy though.

08-Jun-19
I'm with Beav on this one, I'd hunt anything with my bow, but only coyotes and skunks with the rifle. The rifle hunting just doesn't trip my trigger any more. I'd rather go home empty handed than shoot a B&C with the gun, even a once in a lifetime hunt...

08-Jun-19
I've never figured out why anyone would want to brag about killing zebras, giraffes, or elephants.

08-Jun-19
I have zero interest in high fence, exotics, sheep, or any African species. Gun hunting for Ducks or Geese doesn't do anything for me either. Can't really think of anything outside of north America that interests me with the exception of maybe a brown bear hunt in eastern Russia.

08-Jun-19
Anything in a blind or stand, waterfowl, and pheasants. I'll shoot a lost ditch parrot, but much prefer quail.

09-Jun-19
No more bear for me and skip Africa, but if I had the funds, Cape Buffalo spot and stalk and tracking it in tall grass. Elk with Lou one day but he'd have to roll play as guide and me shooter.

12-Jun-19
I can't think of anything...

12-Jun-19
I'm with you Fuzzy-there are things that are more of a priority, but at this time everything I can legally hunt is on the table.

12-Jun-19
IMO it's not the killing but the effort before and after that makes/breaks the adventure.

When I was stationed in Maryland where there are long deer seasons (Sept thru Jan/Feb), I got burned out on deer hunting. I hunted so much that after a couple of years it wasn't fun anymore. It became a grind.

12-Jun-19
I must say I am surprised by how many guys listed turkey. I still find turkey with a bow to be a great spring time activity. Love the spring woods almost as much as the fall. THe napping is pretty good too after getting up so ridiculously early to beat spring's early daylight.

12-Jun-19
Exotics, High fence, baited bear. Most other things I'd try if given the chance.

13-Jun-19
I would maybe not knock Africa until you've tried it. I once thought that too (the general consensus here is that Africa is not worth going). I went, and even though it was not the ideal African situation, I still liked it and the animals grow on ya. I'm not interested in zebra, giraffe, elephant, hippo, but all the rest, I'm there. It was a real eye opener and dispelled all opinions I'd developed over the years. I'd esp. like to do the leopard hunt with dogs. They said it is grueling and dangerous and when you get one cornered or wounded, they attack. Never thought I'd like 'horned' game, always preferred antlers. But actually going was a game changer for me. I'd go again in a heartbeat. Esp. for warthog. There are few animals I'd hunt and not enjoy it. Not that interested in javelin maybe. Feral hogs, only to get rid of them. Not into killing furry rodents for fun - if I'm not eating them, I'm only killing them if they are destructive.

13-Jun-19
Funny how many say zebra, Zebra with a bow would be my primary focus on an Africa trip

14-Jun-19
Fuzz, Zebra was my number one animal when I went! But I also didn't have a big thing for Kudu, where most guys love them. Took my PH semi talking me into shooting the 53" bull I did kill and that was on it's second trip in.

At one point, I thought I would never do any of the International sheep/goats/etc because there is so much to hunt here in NA, but I am slowly starting to get the bug to head overseas again.

At this point, I have to say if there is a season I'm probably down to go!

14-Jun-19
I don't have the home decor for a Zebra.

14-Jun-19
The zebra skin is the only dead animal my wife has allowed in the bedroom :) Lays on the floor right in front of the bed :)

15-Jun-19
Mule deer don't do much for me personally, neither do Coues, but I would certainly shoot one if given the right circumstance.

That said, I'm not sure there's too many animals I wouldn't hunt/shoot, but there are many species that just aren't a personal priority. I am fortunate to live in a place that affords me so many opportunities at multiple species so I am pretty content.

For me it comes down to time, money, and priorities. I wouldn't mind hunting Africa, but I would rather take that same money and go to Alaska for griz and moose. I love hunting spring bears, fall whitetails, antelope, and elk, and if anything I want to hunt more of the those, in different places with good trophy potential.

However I like new adventures, and Moose, Griz, sheep would be awesome someday. I just love to hunt and experience new things and places. I would also like to shoot a big ol' gnarly gator some day.

18-Jun-19
Mt. Lion hunt with Jay Fuller & Bou Bound. What's the point of hunting if you have to sign an NDA and can't tell anyone the story?

18-Jun-19

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
"I don't have the home decor for a Zebra."

Kammaaannn..... where's your sense of fashion adventure?.... embrace your inner decorator.....

22-Jun-19
Badgers, Mud Hens, and Turtles

22-Jun-19
Big Foot.

22-Jun-19
Nothing in Africa!! And as before mentioned I will not shoot a red fox..my grandmother practically raised me and the night they were taking her off the ventilator i couldn’t be at the hospital and I knew what time they were doing it 10pm...at about 930pm I went down to sit by a local lake and at exactly 10:01 on my phone a red fox ran up beside me within 2/3 ft and just stopped and sit beside me for several minutes before trotting off the way he came...I took it as a sign of something good could be wrong dam thing could of just been crazy I don’t know but haven’t shot a fox since that day...used to kill em but not no more!!

22-Jun-19
I went to a Sportsman dinner last night. Three guys were talking about the hunt that they had booked in Scotland for Red Stag.....as well as of the rules......you don't wake up until 7:30am, you don't wear your camo clothing when you return from the hunt, gun only and not your own gun, you don't get to keep your meat, at dinnertime, you have to wear a sportcoat….. etc etc......and as much as I enjoy hunting, I had absolutely no desire to share such an experience.

23-Jun-19
A strange thing happened to me on this thread. I only looked at it once before today, yet it shows that I posted the same thing 3 different times. Any idea how that could happen?

23-Jun-19
I'll hunt anything once, in the right situation, with the right people. I notice several have mentioned high fence stuff on here. Remember the question is: What would you rather not "HUNT"... Nuff said.

23-Jun-19
"You have never hunted until you have hunted man" a Former MN gov. I guess I would never want to hunt with.

For me if I can't eat it and its really hot and buggy I don't have much interest.

23-Jun-19
If it's not elk, mule deer, or turkeys, I don't have much interest in hunting it. I do enjoy sheep, goat, and moose hunting, but I consider those bonus species due to the difficulty of getting tags. Whitetails are OK, but not for $500-plus for a NR tag. I could hunt whitetails in Colorado, but I prefer mulies. I do enjoy pheasant hunting because it provides an opportunity to get some exercise between big game and skiing seasons.

Beyond that, I simply have too many other hobbies that I enjoy, and there's only so many days in the year to squeeze them all in.

Matt

23-Jun-19

itshot's Link
elkman x2 , add: any season or weapon, too

oddly, the african sentiment is gaining some steam, congrats....many here might have participated in the poll.... "But, should big game hunting be legally prohibited? More than six in ten residents, 62%, say the practice is wrong and should be legally banned, including 34% of hunters"......ufb

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content/misc/usapolls/us151001/Sports/HBO%20Real%20Sports_Marist%20Poll_Complete%20Survey%20Findings_November%202015.pdf

24-Jun-19
Penguins. Other than that anything. The problem is the old body wants to cash checks my mind keeps writing. Goats would be something I don’t think I’d want to do. I hate getting in those spots that I can’t climb down and have to keep going up. Terrified of heights.

24-Jun-19
Whitetails from a stand

24-Jun-19
Medicinemann if you can’t wear the canon when your done and take some of the meat you harvested...... no thanks!!!’

26-Jun-19
Hunting anything in sub- freezing temps for days. That’s just not for me.

But hey, this is why Baskin & Robbins has been a success with 30+ flavors !

26-Jun-19
Baited bears Africa nothing in a fence but to each their own but who am I to judge Lewis

27-Jun-19
No desire to shoot anything in an enclosure..... No desire to go to Africa....... or New Zealand.....

27-Jun-19
what a great thread, for me anything with dogs chasing

27-Jun-19
Exotics in Texas, etc. don’t interest me. I used to think of Africa like some in this thread do....until I won a hunt and spent 10 days in S. Africa...now I can’t wait to go back! It’s a lot more sporting, difficult and exciting than I ever imagined. Quite an adventure

27-Jun-19
I just want everyone to know that not wanting to hunt turkeys or whitetails was not allowed in this thread because its blasphemy!

27-Jun-19
Agree 100% Danny!

• Sitka Gear