StickFlicker's embedded Photo
Number of Each Species Entered by Hunt Unit Table
Number of Each Species Entered by Hunt Unit Table

StickFlicker's Link
Since the Arizona deer/sheep drawing is currently underway, I thought I would re-post this for those of you that have already purchased Arizona hunting licenses for the various drawings so are thinking of hunting OTC deer or other species in Arizona this fall. There is a table on the last few pages of this book that show, unit by unit, how many entries of each species are entered into the records program. Hunt units are much smaller areas and more specific than the counties listed in P&Y and B&C which might contain a number of hunt units in the same county. This is a great way to help plan a future Arizona hunt if you're hoping to take a nice P&Y Coues deer or some other species in Arizona, and in my opinion worth the entire $25 cost! Every individual entry also shows in which hunt unit it was taken, which is helpful to see where the very top animals were taken too. The data has been collected since the records program first began more than 40 years ago, so there's lots of information to be had.

It contains all of the records entered through July 31, 2018, including about a half-dozen new State Records. In addition to the records, there are numerous photographs, artwork and stories contributed by many top Arizona bowhunters. Stories include "Stalking Mule Deer" by the master himself, Randy Ulmer, "12 Glassing Secrets" by glassing guru, Duwayne Adams, "Tips for Field Judging Elk" by well known guide and podcaster, Jay Scott, a three part series of articles by renowned Arizona game biologist and writer (and P&Y convention speaker), Jim Heffelfinger, and many others.

It's also a great resource for those non-residents that keep applying for the same two or three "top tier" units because they don't know of any other places to apply, or for those that have been thinking of applying for elk or other species in Arizona but don't know which units produce quality animals of that species.

Many Bowsiters bought the book when I first posted this when it was released back in March, so maybe they can chime in with their opinions of what they thought of the book. I know I'm biased, but for a 400 page hard-bound book with all full-color photos throughout (many from Bowsite's own Bill Ballard), I think it's a great bargain at only $25 (no tax or shipping)!

14-Jun-19
Yes, it includes all three of Arizona's turkeys (Merriam's, Rio Grande and Gould's), by sub-species.

14-Jun-19
Hey thanks for the tip! I just bought one. I love books like these!

18-Jul-19

Book Contents
Book Contents

StickFlicker's Link
Just a reminder to those that may have applied to hunt deer in Arizona but did not draw a tag, this $25 book is a great resource for those planning to try hunting for OTC deer (since you already have a hunting license and that may not know where in the state to hunt). Every record listing shows the unit in which it was taken, and there's a table in the back that shows a summary of how many record entries have come from every unit in the state for each species. I've attached a photo of the back cover that shows what is contained in the book.

Thanks to the many Bowsiters that have already purchased a copy. I hope that you are enjoying it!

18-Jul-19
Is Randy Ulmer really stalking mule deer in the "over the counter" units like the southern desert???

Landowner tags, special draw units etc.... vs. over the counter and competing droves of public land hunters is a whole different level, maybe I'm assuming too much in the way the descriptions are worded.

18-Jul-19
I’ve ran into Randy in the desert mule deer hunting......it was OTC too.

19-Jul-19
The vast majority of the forested units in Arizona are also available to bowhunt with OTC tags. There are only a few (mostly north of the Canyon) that are not. Randy's article covers 16 points that he feels are most important in stalking deer, wherever you are hunting, from what conditions you should wait for before starting the stalk, things to watch for during the stalk and things to do at the time of the shot to make you the most successful. I really don't think most of them vary by location or special draw. Obviously, it is easier if there are fewer potential hunters interfering with your stalk, but starting out with strong basic advice and modifying it to fit your changing circumstances is what learning to bowhunt is all about.

• Sitka Gear