APauls 19-Jun-19
Ogoki 19-Jun-19
Beav 19-Jun-19
mrelite 19-Jun-19
TreeWalker 19-Jun-19
Aubs8 19-Jun-19
billygoat 19-Jun-19
18-Jun-19
I am not a whiner or complainer ,just want what you guys think. I am very appreciative of the information I get here . I had a local guy that got my phone number from a mutual friend . He heard my wife and I did fly in trips in Ontario.He called and I invited him to stop by our house . He was wanting big pike and to take his brother and elderly father on a fly in . Gave him maps ,told him where to stay and good restaurants . Told him what lake to fish and when I suggested to go for big pike. He said he would return maps and I told him not needed ,that I wanted was a call to tell me how they did. Never heard back, but 8 months later ran into him and he told me what a great time they had and he got a like that was over 25 lbs. He would have never reported back ,unless I ran into him.

Saw a guy on here asking about a bear hunt . Sent him a private message and gave him my phone number . He called twice and I sent him numerous pictures of camp etc. Never heard back from him, but heard from outfitter that he shot a great bear and his party did very well, all getting good bears . I asked him at second conversation ,just to give me report back about their trip.

Am I out of line to be a little disgusted ,in not getting a little feed back . I did spend time helping guys have great trips. I have over 40 years of fly in trips and many years of hunting . When I can help i try to, but come on people let's give who put you on these trips some feed back. They didnt have to help you. Just want to know if what I told them helped .

18-Jun-19
Yeah I say that's BS. You gave your time and info to them and only wanted a report back. They couldnt even do that. This is what makes people not want to help others. Sorry you didnt get the feedback you wanted. Some people are givers and others are takers. Hope you continue to help others. There are good guys out there

18-Jun-19
Ogoki, agree 100%. I hate it when I help folks out and they never let me know f they do any good or not. I guess they all did crappy and I’m an a-hole for helping! Ha!

18-Jun-19
Been there done that and have the T-shirt !! Part of the game and you learn fast who you share info with. Like my Dad has always said keep your circle tight!! Hunt

18-Jun-19
Hunt , We are now on the same page .

18-Jun-19
Sadly this is how our society is these days. There are still decent people out there but they are becoming fewer and further apart.

18-Jun-19
That has almost always been my experience as well. I have never had anybody give me any backbrief type info. Sad state but...people want everything with little respect or curtesy given in return. I will always help but it’s not what I expected/hoped would happen.

18-Jun-19
F those guys, forget'm but don't quit helping...no good deed...

18-Jun-19
When I hear stories like yours I think about 2 things.

1. Jesus healed 10 lepers- only 1 came back to thank him- that's a10% "thank you" rate!

2. I had a man tell me once- not to expect to much of people and you won't be disappointed.

18-Jun-19
I help all sorts. I like to hear back on how it went, but at the same time life is too short to worry much

18-Jun-19
Don't let their rudeness detour you from helping others. Yes they are jerks, and they should have called you and let you know how appreciative they were for such great advice. Funny how people act when they need something and when they no longer are in need they change. Good on you for sharing your experience.

18-Jun-19
Don't let their rudeness detour you from helping others. Yes they are jerks, and they should have called you and let you know how appreciative they were for such great advice. Funny how people act when they need something and when they no longer are in need they change. Good on you for sharing your experience.

18-Jun-19
Years ago I helped a fellow bow hunter with a unit he drew here in Colorado. It was several hours from where I live and completely the wrong direction for him. After he killed a great bull he took it upon himself to drive several hours out of his was just to simply shake my hand and thank me for all the help that I did not have to provide. It was a very high point unit and something I can not hunt but maybe twice in a lifetime and wanted to give him some good info. He was from out of state and took over 25 years to draw the tag.. that was courtesy..

18-Jun-19
Spot on! I've been there numerous times & not so much as a thank you! Doesn't mean I'll stop helping but I've pretty much given up hope on hearing back!

Life keeps us busy I guess but any appreciation would be cool!

ElkNut/Paul

18-Jun-19
I have given several on here spots that I ran into elk in NM. Never heard back on how they did.

Terry

19-Jun-19
There probably guys you really wouldn't like as friends anyway, don't worry about it. Just keep on doing the honorable thing.

19-Jun-19
I'd say that the OP's experience is probably fairly typical. I can't count the guys that I've helped with hunting or fishing info. I'd say that it's typical to hear back from 1/4 or 1/3 of them.

But, this doesn't change the fact that I'm still going to help people who are seeking help. A few days ago I helped a first timer get started. He doesn't have any friends that hunt and owns a car, not a truck. He just needed a good start, which I gave him. I don't expect to hear anything back. And that's okay.

19-Jun-19
Thank you for your responses . All my life in work and pleasure i do my best to help anyone. With work i answer so many phone calls trying to help customers . None of that I receive any compensation, but when they have work I get the work , so in return i am covered . Just wanted to know if I am not the only one ,not getting feedback. From reading here ,it appears that is the way it is for most part. I treat people like I want to be treated and will continue to do so . That's the way I was brought up.

19-Jun-19
Ogoki- Glad to hear that a few ungrateful/selfish guys aren't going to stop you from helping others out in the future. Hopefully the others will be appreciative and let you know their gratitude moving forward.

19-Jun-19
Have had a few bad experiences helping people but for the most part very good. Have helped total strangers with hunting and fishing advice that have become great friends. Heck, I have even offered up a place to stay when guys are hunting near my home, scouted areas and even helped pack out critters for guys that I knew only from the Bowsite. Not going to let a few bad experiences turn me off from helping out.

19-Jun-19
As others have said; part of life these days. I've helped guys on Bowsite and had them act like they don't know who I am when I asked about how things went or if they used my info. On the flip side, there are lots of good things happening on here as well, but it's really tough trying to decipher who and when to help. I've received help in the field from folks on multiple occasions.

19-Jun-19
Too bad. It’s really unfortunate that there are that many people lacking basic manners.

I hope there are a few guys taking some time to make a call or write a note.

There are a few guys here who’ve shown kindness to my kids and family. My ten year old knows enough to show some appreciation.

19-Jun-19
You do the right thing and rest easy. Don’t expect others to do the same and be pleasantly surprised and happy if they do. I would not dwell on the actions or inactions of other that have no impact on me. It takes to much energy.

19-Jun-19

Norseman's embedded Photo
Norseman's embedded Photo
Heh....happen to me several times with info I have given to Bowsite posters.

I learned my lesson.

19-Jun-19
I don't often have a chance to help people out with info, but when I do, I help as much as I can. It used to bother me a little when I'd never hear back. I've gotten over it and just don't expect anything in return anymore.

What I do appreciate is when I get a "thanks" or a PM when it's not really necessary. Sometimes I'll make a simple comment on a guys post and they'll take the time to PM a thanks. There's still a lot of real first-class guys out there.

19-Jun-19
Strange that this has been on my mind for a couple of months also. I typically send photo CD's and/or video DVD's to outfitters & guides after I return from a trip with images of the hunting or fishing trip. In years past I could always expect a ' Thank You ' response, but in the past couple of years that has not been the case. I realize they are busy with other clients, but it only takes a few minutes to send an E-mail. I also learned many years ago about sharing locations of good hunting & fishing spots with other people. There is an old saying floating around somewhere pertaining to that & I can't recall it at the moment. I like many of you will still help a fellow hunter or fisherman, but as some have posted above, have come to realize I may never get that simple " THANKS ! ".

19-Jun-19
" I had a man tell me once- not to expect to much of people and you won't be disappointed. " Probably some of the best advice ever given....Thanks.

For me "Thanks" is one of the easiest words to say but that is how I was raised. For others it just doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary. Keep being the kind of person you want to be. Don't let others change you.

19-Jun-19
When I give out info on fishing and hunting locations, I do so freely. It’s just what I do. I do mention that I would like to hear how they did so I can add it to the notes. If I don’t hear back, they are off the list of people to help in the future.

19-Jun-19
Common courtesy isn't so common.

19-Jun-19
I’ve actually had very good luck hearing back from those I’ve helped out. I usually test the waters a bit to get a feel for someone before I’ll go out of my way too much. If I don’t get a good feeling from them, my advice is limited. I can’t really think of any, off the top of my head, that haven’t contacted me after a hunt. Maybe I’ve just been lucky. Likewise, I try to keep a list of anyone I’ve gotten advice from while planning a hunt and one of the first things I do, upon return, is give them a detailed report, with pictures.

19-Jun-19
It's definitely tough. I try not to expect too much from people I help out as it does get disappointing. But more recently I've been blessed by people being borderline "over-generous" with their thanks. Which is very much appreciated. Just this last weekend I MC'd a wedding and was pretty blown away at the thank you gift I received.

19-Jun-19
Don't want you to think I didn't know how to spell " courtesy " , but when I tried to edit ,I could not .

19-Jun-19
I’ve had it happen but for the most part I’ve been lucky!

19-Jun-19
I have helped quite a few guys and I have taken some help myself and it is nice to hear back but there is no need to get bothered if they don't get back with you, mostly because you just never know how screwed up or how busy some peoples lives are, especially after a hunt! There have been numerous times where I hadn't heard back but if I really want to know I just text or message a friendly reminder to them and usually they are more than happy to fill me in.

LOL I am sure there is someone I have forgotten to update and it surely isn't because I wanted to leave them out of the loop, it just happens sometimes.

19-Jun-19
Courtesy is neither common nor likely. I help out hunters and some follow-up and some don't. Most of my hunts are hard to draw so I will likely never get that tag again so I try to be as helpful as can. I never turn over printed maps but if I did then assume the maps are gone and hope they are in turn handed off to yet another hunter. I suppose I am not making friends when offer up advice but merely one of many sources of information for that hunter. I have found that if I use email to send a picture or two and some notes (I keep notes from planning before a hunt then amend post-hunt) then I am more likely to hear back than if is only phone communication prior to their hunt.

19-Jun-19
I love helping people when I can...mostly through PM's and emails...I don't expect anything in return...it is nice to hear back...I know I personally feel indebted to those who take time to help me and offer advice.

19-Jun-19
Good post Buffalo 1 My experience is similar to others. I had a coworker ask me about where I elk hunted. I was being pretty vague, but all of a sudden he whips out pad n paper and started taking notes! I then told him about a spot I no longer hunt in great detail and gave him my marked up map. 2nd most rugged country I've hunted in Colorado, but there are elk there. If anyone wants that info, PM me. Would like to hear back how it went!

• Sitka Gear