Mike B 25-Jun-19
Gene Wensel 25-Jun-19
trophyhill 25-Jun-19
Jasper 25-Jun-19
midwest 25-Jun-19
23-Jun-19

Mike B's embedded Photo
Mike B's embedded Photo
Fellow was hiking on a ranch in Montana, and came across this in a washed out arroyo. Arrowhead is of a style used by an Alberta tribe; apparently they used to travel into what is now Montana to hunt buffalo.

The head is buried half-way into the spine, so I'm guessing it put the animal down long enough for a kill shot.

23-Jun-19
That sir, is truly awesome.

Wow........ What an amazing find! To think that the last person to handle that was a native skinning out a buffalo 1-200 years ago, maybe more, is just so cool. Thank you for sharing.

23-Jun-19
Amazing...

23-Jun-19
Unreal!

23-Jun-19

Mike B's Link
Here's the story from the fellow that found it:

23-Jun-19
That is a very cool find. Thanks for sharing.

23-Jun-19
Cool!

23-Jun-19
That's an awesome find!

23-Jun-19
Very nice discovery!

23-Jun-19
That's quite the find! The bow must of had some good poundage with the penetration Into the bone.

23-Jun-19
And that stone head is still in one piece! Awesome!

23-Jun-19
Really cool find. Could be over a thousand years old. It is interesting to me that people all over the world came up with the same basic idea for an arrow-head. African's were using bows and arrows at least 70,000 years ago, and in other parts of the world 15,000 to 20,000 years ago. I wonder how many of us today would manage to kill something if we had to make our own broadheads, bows and arrows (using primitive tools). I think we would be a lot more skinny. HA!

23-Jun-19
That would be the coolest thing to have. Absolutely awesome.

23-Jun-19
Way cool!! Would love to have that on my shelf.

23-Jun-19
Incredible find most everyone that sees this I’m sure is picturing in their mind the event as it unfolded at least I am thanks for sharing Lewis

23-Jun-19
Simply incredible. One of the coolest pics I've seen on Bowsite. Thanks for sharing:)

23-Jun-19
That must of took a pretty powerful bow...certainly wasn`t a bent sapling with a rawhide string.

I wonder if there was a discussion in camp about the infamous "dead spot void" below the spine.

23-Jun-19
So cool!

23-Jun-19
Now that is one of the coolest things I have seen. Honestly a museum type piece.

23-Jun-19
Not enough adjectives. I would literally shit myself if I found that.

23-Jun-19
I'm surprised the hunter who killed that buffalo didn't take the time to pry the broadhead out and reuse it. It's not like they bought their broadheads from the local Cabelas back then, after all. ;-)

Way, way cool find....

Matt

23-Jun-19
That's truly amazing. But bison, people, bison! Not buffalo, bison!

23-Jun-19
Very interesting. So primitive yet so effective. Wonder how long it took to carve a broadhead?

Will we soon learn that the Native Indians invented and used mechanicals?

23-Jun-19
How cool is that? WOW... what a great find.

23-Jun-19
That is a beautiful piece of history!

23-Jun-19
The Stott projectile point is dated 1300-600 B.P. More than likely it was on an arrow rather than a dart. Most all of them I have seen in bison bones were dart points. Very cool!

23-Jun-19
...and some people think you need a hundred dollar broadhead to kill big game.

23-Jun-19
I actually saw that on treasurenet.com yesterday. Very cool find. The pics are getting around. Looks like it could be reused today.

23-Jun-19
Are we sure it wasn't a Crossbow kill?

23-Jun-19
One of the coolest posts on Bowsite in a long time.

23-Jun-19
wow! what a find!!

23-Jun-19
That is an awesome find!

23-Jun-19
What a part of history!

23-Jun-19
Very cool. I've always wanted some artifacts for the mantle.

23-Jun-19
Way cool, I love that kinda stuff!

23-Jun-19
Some mornings I feel old enough to have been on that hunt Lewis

23-Jun-19

Gene Wensel's embedded Photo
I have a similar vertebra with a stone head embedded in it. It was picked up about 40 years ago from an apparent unregistered jump here in Montana. I sent it off to an archaeological society affiliated with the Smithsonian Institute. They told me quite bit about it. They said it came from the lower neck of a young bison. It was buried in gravel, not soil. Said the hunter either shot uphill at it or the bison was lying on its side when struck. I'm sure the latter is correct since it happened at a jump. Then the guy said something I'll always remember. He said, "Do you realize this is not historic?" I thought he meant it was rigged or fake. Then he said it is "prehistoric, not historic." He said it was done with an atlatl before the bow and arrow was invented. I was originally thinking it was from the 1700s. He said it was right around 6,000 years old! It remains one of my most prized possessions.

23-Jun-19

Here is another angle
Here is another angle

23-Jun-19

Here is another view...

23-Jun-19
That is incredible stuff! Thanks for sharing!!!

23-Jun-19
Incredible finds

24-Jun-19

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
Not sure concerning history of this one but found it on a mule deer hunt in Colorado. I was kneeling in a natural blind at a water hole and noticed the point. Scratched away the dirt and gravel and there it was. No bone attached but pretty cool.

24-Jun-19
Must have been on heck of a bow to have sunk a stone point into a bone. I love this stuff!!!

24-Jun-19
Those are the coolest things I've ever seen, Incredible pieces of pre-history!!

24-Jun-19
I thought that was the coolest thing ever and then Gene one-upped you! Thought both are really really cool.

24-Jun-19
Really cool finds! I've found many arrowheads in Oklahoma and the first thing that pops into my mind is the craftsmanship and patience it took to make it. Also, to realize you're holding in your hand something that a hunter(s) made YEARS ago. Pretty amazing!

24-Jun-19
That's completely awesome. What an astonishing find!

24-Jun-19
Wow! Those are both amazing. What a find!

24-Jun-19
Incredible finds! Gene, I imagine that prehistoric hunter was more than a little upset that he lost his hard earned spear point in the neck of that buffalo! If only he had thought to invent the pliers! :-)

24-Jun-19
"I wonder if there was a discussion in camp about the infamous "dead spot void" below the spine. " LOL!

24-Jun-19
I have a neighbor who routinely hunts for arrowheads along the edges of the our dirt roads after a heavy rain. He's found dozens of them. I've tried it a few times, and similar to shed hunting, I never find them when I'm actually looking for them.

I did find one by chance one evening while deer hunting. It's a perfectly shaped, 100% intact, mini head, that's only about 1/2"-5/8" long. I assume it was used for small game or birds, but I don't really know. Now, where did I put that darn thing...?!?

Matt

24-Jun-19

I'll forward several examples.
I'll forward several examples.
To me, the very best thing about any stone arrow head found is that each has an untold story that will never be known. We can only use our imaginations. Here are some prehistoric items that most hunters don't even realize exist. These are petrified whitetail shed antlers that have turned from bone to stone. Like petrified wood, these have fossilized via mineralization over thousands of years. They are very heavy for their size. Most are from the Pleistocene Era, which places them from a minimum of 11,500 years to 2.6 million years old! Interestingly, these are from almost the same species of whitetails we hunt today.

24-Jun-19

more specimens

24-Jun-19

Here are some more

24-Jun-19
Those are some next level awesome finds!!

Thanks for sharing!

24-Jun-19
Just a little before my time! Thanks for sharing.

24-Jun-19
All of those are freakn cool... Thanks for sharing...

24-Jun-19
Amazing finds! I wonder how many artifacts we have all walked over/by, without a clue, through the years.

25-Jun-19
Gene, those are incredible finds.....and they do cause a persons imagination to surge back a few thousand years!

I think about an ancient man..sitting by a campfire and chipping away on the arrowhead he'll use to kill the next meal for his family.

25-Jun-19
I have a guy knapping four stone heads out of petrified whitetail. I doubt anyone has ever killed a deer with a stone head crafted from an ancient buck!

25-Jun-19
Great thread and finds!

25-Jun-19
Simply amazing! Love this stuff and thanks for sharing!

25-Jun-19
I had a real good spot to hunt artifacts. Must have been a camp there. I would scrounge the field every spring after it was disced and we got a good hard rain. When ever I pick one up I always wonder who the last person to touch it was.

• Sitka Gear