3rd Degree 06-Jul-19
wildwilderness 06-Jul-19
lewis 06-Jul-19
Buffalo1 06-Jul-19
babysaph 11-Jul-19
wkochevar 12-Jul-19
05-Jul-19

Rut Nut's Link
Some have asked me about the possibility of building up "immunity" to snake venom after my incident. I was told by the toxicologists that it was NOT possible. But apparently it is IF...........................................you are willing to go to extremes! Somebody posted this article to my Snakebite Ordeal thread and I found it simply fascinating! I read thru it several times. Thought others might be interested.

05-Jul-19
I listened to the Outside podcast about this the other day. Apparently, the "immunity" doesn't last but a couple years and he needs to keep subjecting himself to the venom to keep it active.

05-Jul-19
Interesting, but I'm going to continue trying to maintain a save distance. Use to get all them shots at work so i would be immune poison ivy, didn't work:(

05-Jul-19
Yeah, not really practical. I just found it interesting that you COULD build up immunity if you got bit enough times over the course of several years. (and KEPT getting bit on a regular basis)

But who in their right mind would do this???!!! 200 snakebites and 700 injections of venom over 20 years???!!! That dude is Bat-%$#@ friggan CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I found REALLY interesting was the fact that his blood may lead to a Universal Anti-venom that could be used to treat ANY poisonous snakebite someday! (right now you need to take the specific anti-venom for each specific type of snakebite.)

05-Jul-19
I've been trying to build up immunity to bourbon.... ain't working but a lotta fun trying.

05-Jul-19
Scoot, I might advise you to never get into a land war in Asia.

05-Jul-19
I knew a gentleman in Florida back in the 60s and 70s who was bitten a bunch of times by venomous snakes.His blood was used several times as an anti venom.He survived bites from king cobras,green mambas,rattlesnakes and many others.His name was Bill Haast he owned the Miami Serpentarium.Those bites took a toll however He passed away in 2011 at the young age of 100.Helluva man Lewis

05-Jul-19
William , Bill, Haas used this technique many years ago and was immune to many kinds of poisonous snakes. He died a few years ago of old age, but survived a large number of bites without antivenin.

05-Jul-19
Correction, it was Bill Haast. Died at age 100. Survived 173 snake bites

05-Jul-19
Rutnut, look up Bill Haast and try to find a copy of his book. I’ve read it multiple times and you’d find it very interesting given your “experience.”

05-Jul-19
LOL Scoot! These guys are friggan NUTS!!!!!! I just can’t fathom why anyone would WILLINGLY let a snake bite them!

05-Jul-19
Not sure about snakes but my father developed an immunity to scorpion's. He said after the first 12 or 15 they were never more than a hard ant bite. He figured he was stung 30 plus times. Most was working with horses and moving hay.

05-Jul-19
Bowbender, you must not being drinking enough. I've been working on building up my immunity to Bourbon for years and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I'm about halfway there. By the time I'm 90 I should be totally immune.

05-Jul-19
I knew him quite well that crocodile event almost devastated him horrible happening Lewis

05-Jul-19
Sounds like something I can do without....

05-Jul-19
Thanks for the info guys. Never heard of Bill Haast. So I guess he was the “original”.................started injecting venom in the ‘40’s?

Lewis- they actually used his blood as anti-venom? Amazing! And I wondered about those scars on his face. Guess there’s a good story there too! ;-)

06-Jul-19
unbelievable Haast hand caught a 13-foot king, and it probably got within an inch of injecting him, on a live set. 13 feet is crazy - try handling a 5-foot snake, even at that length they are a tough to control.

06-Jul-19
That is just plain crazy. This guy is nuts! Why would anyone want to build up an immunity to bourbon?

On a side note, I actually cried a little when I heard about Jim Beam's warehouse fire. Huddled in fetal position until my mother told me they have over 3 million barrels in warehouses.

Guess I am back to beleiving in Santa.

06-Jul-19

wildwilderness's Link
-Odorless, tasteless, and dissolves instantly in liquid!

https://princessbride.fandom.com/wiki/Iocane?file=The_Princess_Bride_-_a_battle_of_wits_scene

06-Jul-19
Bill actually hopped on a plane and went to a country in South America so his blood could be used as anti venom for a man who had been bitten by a bushmaster I think the victim survived Lewis

06-Jul-19

11-Jul-19
yea like those stupid churches wear the pastor gets bit 20 times and then dies. No thanks. I will take my chance with snake boots.

12-Jul-19
Ask the dude from Walking Tall

• Sitka Gear