crestedbutte 13-Jul-19
linehunter 13-Jul-19
fubar racin 13-Jul-19
Pop-r 13-Jul-19
crestedbutte 13-Jul-19
09-Jul-19

Destroyer350's embedded Photo
Destroyer350's embedded Photo
I know wolf sightings are not new in Colorado but there was another wolf spotted in Jackson County Colorado. But we need more introduced smh.....

I'd be interested to see the data from the collar.

09-Jul-19
My dad saw one in Moffat County last year while we were on a cow hunt. We see them often in MN and if he says he saw one, I believe him. I do not believe they will be reintroduced to Colorado (and they shouldn't be), but I am confident they will do it on their own. There is food and habitat. The wolves will follow.

09-Jul-19
Good. They’re already here. So leave nature alone and let it do it’s thing...

09-Jul-19
choot em

09-Jul-19
These Leaf lickers and bunny jumpers will never be happy until we are overrun

09-Jul-19

JohnMC's Link
Light in his loafers Jarod Polis seems excited about it.

09-Jul-19
Yeah, the news anchors werr giddy about the wolf reintroduction effort on the newscast I saw. So the media is already helping their cause.

The Sec of State approved the ballot initiative proposal yesterday. Now they need 125K signatures, which will be easy to gather. Let the fun begin!

09-Jul-19
Here’s a different idea. What if the DOW changed their stance and led the wolf introduction effort. Then they could manage them like they do the rest of the big game in Colorado vs it going to a ballet and having them protected, probably indefinitely.

09-Jul-19
If you are not an elk or deer hunter, why wouldn't you be excited to see a native animal return to its historic range? It is exciting if you look at it from an objective viewpoint. Heck, I think it's pretty neat as a hunter, though I'd like to see them managed at low population levels. Of course that will never happen in Colorado.

09-Jul-19
My ranching friend in North park told me last week they are seeing the wolves fairly regularly

09-Jul-19
"Here’s a different idea. What if the DOW changed their stance and led the wolf introduction effort. Then they could manage them like they do the rest of the big game in Colorado vs it going to a ballet and having them protected, probably indefinitely."

Wolves are under USFWS protection until such time there is a sufficient breeding population, the state has a management plan that ensures the validity of said population, and that population gets delisted. Only then will control possibly go to the state. Colorado needs to be working on a plan with the feds.

09-Jul-19
Maybe someone (or some 'agency') took on the task of artificial re-introduction into their own hands.. Just saying.

09-Jul-19
So they just decided it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than to get all those signatures and ask for permission?

09-Jul-19
^^^^^ Not a chance Trapper Kayak

Its obvious that many dont realize that Jackson County borders Wyoming for a distance of 35 miles. All of it remote.

09-Jul-19
If you want to hear wolves in your backyard then by all means show you have some skin in the game and first re-introduce some some timber rattlers and cougars into your neighborhood since most urban and suburban areas in Colorado sanitized out those critters. Why? Is amazing to watch a cougar down down a lap dog over at the dog park and then a rattler to slither out from the playground equipment. Do not fear nature, right? Restore critters to where they were 200 years ago. Including your neighborhood. Then can have a bit more credence when gush about wolves and grizzly bears. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

There are 100s of wolves and grizzly bears a short drive north up in to Yellowstone. Please, go and camp amongst them with your kids and grandkids so you can see these amazing wolves and bears up close and enjoy the experience as you lay there in your tent each night.

As for hunters that are not deer and elk hunters, look at the decline in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho moose permits since the wolf introduction. Was not a re-introduction, by the way. Wrong species of wolf roams the Rockies now.

If F&G fails to bring deer, elk, moose, sheep and goat down to population targets by issuing more hunting tags then a new class of predation would be a topic. Which units are over population targets currently for deer and elk in Colorado?

09-Jul-19
that thing has a collar on it

09-Jul-19
break out the tin foil hats ...

09-Jul-19
"that thing has a collar on it"

Yea, the feds know exactly where it came from.

09-Jul-19

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Theyve been confirmed in CO for over a decade. A collared one was roadkilled on I-70. A coyote hunter shot one. My rancher friends in North Park and the WCO in the Laramie River valley see them fairly regularly. We had one come through our elk camp last fall.

The talking heads on the news this morning referred to them as "endangered".

09-Jul-19
Sounds like you need more “coyote” hunters Lou! ;-)

09-Jul-19
It will be interesting to see what they do when the gray wolves start killing the Mexican Red Wolves. Its always funny how the collared ones just happen to show up. Probably hitched a ride with one of those dammed Wisconsin NR hunters!

09-Jul-19
Next year the regs. will have pictures how to distinguish a wolf from a coyote just like they have for distinguishing a moose from and elk. Then they won't let you shoot yotes during deer and elk season.

09-Jul-19
It will be interesting to see what Co does after purchased nonresident tags decrease.

I don’t see wolves helping that situation out at all.

10-Jul-19
Thats the whole point you don't need hunters with nature in balance. If you have wolves the wolf watchers will come!

10-Jul-19
2004 - wolf killed on I-70

2007 - CPW captured one

2009 - One found dead near rifle

2015 - Trail Cam pics deemed legit by CPW

2015 - Coyote hunter kills one

2019 - 2 separate sightings of different wolves with photos

Hundreds of unconfirmed sightings.

It won't be long until we have a confirmed breeding pair and then its off to the races.

10-Jul-19
The problem isn`t having a few wolves. The Problem will be having a couple thousand and being told you don`t have a sustainable population and not being allowed to do anything about it! Or their recovery isn`t complete. Heard it all many times. Just wish they would put that much effort into saving something that is actually endangered like (Whooping cranes) Less than 400 world wide!

10-Jul-19
There's been an established pack on the high lonesome for many years. CPW is well aware just not broadcasting it

10-Jul-19
cnelk, yeah, I have driven by that area many times along I-80 and it looks like beautiful country. Been up into RMNP and looked over into that Never Summer Wilderness many times. Very gamey, lots of elk around, remote. I realize the possibility of volitional wolf movement into that area from the north. I also know that State F&G agencies can 'mislead' the public at times and 'introduce' animals into areas for 'predator control', and it is not all that uncommon, then lie about it. It has happened in this state, and I have also been misled by state F&G agencies in other states, including Rockies states. I was just wondering out loud if maybe this were a possibility here. Thanks for setting me straight.

10-Jul-19
If CDOW&P are against wolf reintroduction they best get a different spokesman/woman in front of the mic., as it was this morning on KOA, because the lady sounded to me like they are fine with wolf reintroduction and will manage as it happens.

And the pro-wolf lover that spoke before her used this latest wolf sighting to make it sound like more wolves are needed, because "this lone wolf had made the dangerous trip through southern WY. and is now lonely and in need of a mate".

From what I heard this morning, we are screwed.

10-Jul-19
That's a beautiful black coyote...pew pew

10-Jul-19
TR, their official stated policy is that they are fine with natural wolf migration into the state and plan to manage as it happens. But they are totally against forced introduction, which is what triggered this upcoming initiative. But I agree with you that we're screwed because I believe this will pass in 2020. The question will be how long it will take to settle the myriad of lawsuits that will be filed on the day after the election, get the feds on board, do all of the impact studies required, including impact on the Mexican wolves. Our side can "judge shop" just like they do.

When this passes in 2020, I predict it will be decades before wolves are trucked in and released, if ever.

10-Jul-19
About 15 yrs ago, one morning during archery elk season, I saw a pair of wolves in Jackson Co. They came running by me about 40yds. We didnt see any elk that day, or the next.

10-Jul-19
"...it will be decades before wolves are trucked in and released, if ever. " My prediction is that there needs to be this word added to the end of that sentence: "Legally". My suspicion is that it has already happened, "illegally", and will continue to be done.

10-Jul-19
Much like the coyotes in PA I'll bet the insurance companies did it.

10-Jul-19
Lou, I am fully aware of what their stance is, BUT the spokeswoman sure didn't take the opportunity this morning to make it clear. Matter of fact, I'd wager that most people listening that didn't know it, came away with the opinion that CDOW&P was FOR forced reintroduction. Although she didn't state that either, she sure made it sound like wolves in Colo. will be just fine with CDOW&P, how ever it happens.

10-Jul-19
There is a wolf sanctuary where people can visit with wolves, petting-zoo style. They advertise, and I recently saw a piece on a Denver news show about them. That's not good for shaping public opinion, and will be worse when they have any (more?) "escapees".

10-Jul-19
This picture was posted on Facebook yesterday by the CPW, and their post showed happiness in seeing this. Seems the CPW enjoyed seeing this wolve in Colorado...

10-Jul-19
I am from Minnesota. We have the largest population in the lower 48. They will decimate your deer, moose, and elk. We no longer have a moose season and in areas with wolves the deer numbers are limited. Fight now to keep them from reintroduction. Ask Montana and Idaho.

10-Jul-19
We have a wolf "petting zoo" in Minnesota called the Ely Wolf Center. An impressive facility and certainly creates a lot of wolf admirers.

10-Jul-19
I have had a small pack of grey wolves around my cabin in CB for about 8 yrs now. We hear them much more than we see them. However, each summer when I vacation there I usually get one decent sighting of them during that 2 week period. Will be back up there in a couple of weeks. Maybe I can get a photo and some scat for CPW’s benefit?

10-Jul-19
^Wolves in Crested Butte?? Post your pics...

11-Jul-19
I was listening to a MeatEater podcast a while back with a wolf biologist, Diane Boyd, who made the point that if wolves are introduced there will be more tools available to manage them, as opposed to wolves that wander in on their own. Not sure if I agree that would work in Colorado, but it's food for thought...

11-Jul-19
She also said the wolves didn’t cause the elk herd crash in Yellowstone Surfbow.

11-Jul-19
I think impact on the Mexican wolf population is of prime importance in the fight against the forced introduction! Like seriously it is a serious talking point!

Maybe not from our perspective as hunters but it is one of the only perspectives that will be heard by the talking heads!

11-Jul-19
Was in Cripple Creek about 10 yrs ago and some guy had a few wolves in portable cages for 'view' and they were like dogs. Affectionate, friendly, you could pet them...my wife did in fact, and fell in love with them. She's a dog lover/animal anyway. He said 'wolves are not naturally aggressive toward humans, but are conditioned to be so.'.. It is stuff like this that will appeal to the uneducated masses, the ones who will support re-intro. They will think all the prey animals will be 'safe' whether wild or domestic. The 'Disney' mentality is everywhere. We are in for a full on onslaught, not just in CO, this will spread and take place in a lot of other states. I just hope common sense prevails and they can be de-listed and then hunted like the coyote. (Fat chance any time soon though).

11-Jul-19
Ah well, the world will prob end in 50 years or so anyways, so why worry about the wolves.

11-Jul-19
Bullnasty, the wolves are not the reason MN doesn’t have a moose season. You can blame that on the deer. That said, the wolves will make it tough for moose to recover enough to get a season back, but that’s also partly the fault of the deer for keeping the wolf numbers high. I’m 100% against the reintroduction in Colorado, but it’s certainly not right to blame the moose situation in MN on the wolves. They are a factor, but not the main factor.

11-Jul-19
LOL APauls. When the volcano blows, then it will be over. (YS Cauldera). But it will take the wolves with them! ;) NoWiser, yup, brainworm carried by deer. And in some areas, massive tick infestations (such as in New England, moose numbers in decline).

11-Jul-19
fubar, does your data on it look different than the argument she made? She was also against previous any wolf reintroductions...

11-Jul-19
Lou, one was also killed in Grand County as well-https://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/05/29/coyote-hunter-kills-wolf-in-grand-county/

I'm willing to bet that there is already breading pairs of wolves in Colorado, why else would USFWS designate Grand County as a wolf sanctuary/Conservation county- https://www.skyhinews.com/news/federal-government-quietly-establishes-wolf-conservation-area-that-includes-grand-county/ We really need to get on the band wagon of de-listing wolves nationwide and to stop anymore introductions and promote natural migration as the right way to go.

13-Jul-19

crestedbutte's Link
Time to put-up or shut-up....stopthewolf.org

13-Jul-19
just donated $100.

13-Jul-19
No Surfbow I agree she was against the introductions but saying that they didn’t effect or even cause the majority of the crash in that herd is crazy that’s all I was saying. I feel like it’s a fairly well documented fact that everywhere the wolves are allowed free reign the game population takes a nose dive.

13-Jul-19
If you see one of these and you do not try your very hardest to kill it you are an idiot!

13-Jul-19
I guess I might as well put that qualifying small game license to good use that CPW forced me to buy when applying for limited license this year.

Anyone know if there is a fine in CO for killing a grey wolf? If so, Pop-r are you gonna pay it?

• Sitka Gear