lv2bohunt 04-Aug-19
JTV 04-Aug-19
BULELK1 05-Aug-19
Scrappy 05-Aug-19
JTV 05-Aug-19
12-Jul-19

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
Since the Trailer Hitch carrier thread went so well (some sarcasm intended)... any advice about a roof rack/Basket that will mount on an existing factory rack ... I would like to put the spare tire on top ..... it is in the back hatch right now and I want to move it out... the underside carrier cable is shot, I want the room come season in the back area .... this is the SUV 4x4 it would go a top

12-Jul-19
Rola

12-Jul-19
I bought one on etrailers that works awesome. In reality they are all identical, they are just steel welded baskets. Does your rig already have the factory roof rack system and cross bars?

I kept a spare on mine for a year but elected to go back down below with it so I could use the roof rack for even more storage for fuel cans and dry bags.

12-Jul-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
I have no idea on the name brand on the one I have. Works great but does add some wind noise on the inside. Don't really notice it after a few miles. Just don't loose the mounting hardware if you take it off. Replacement hardware is about forty bucks from Amazon. Don't ask how I know this.

12-Jul-19
Yakima gets the nod for all my roof top accessories. I have a cargo basket with a tire holder and two different kayak mounts.

12-Jul-19
TEmbry, yes there is a factory one with cross bars, no basket

12-Jul-19

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
pic of the factory rack

12-Jul-19
Can you find the specs on the factory rack? Stupid question but have you tried putting the tire up there?

12-Jul-19
I sat the tire on the roof, not on the cross arms just to check it out.... the roof has rubber ribs on it as you can see... I didnt like the way it sat on the roof itself as it depressed the roof, however the factory rack is rated at 165lbs .... the tires are 255/70/16's, so the factory rack is plenty sturdy for a basket, just need to find the right one .. ..

12-Jul-19
Will the wheel diameter cover the span of the cross bars? If it doesn’t I’d try to fashion a few straps, unless you’re looking for an excuse to get something new.

Or maybe 2 more parallel bars running from x bar to x bar.

12-Jul-19
That is the same type cross bars on mine. Just about any roof rack will mount right to the cross bars. After you get your hands on one you'll see how universal they all are.

12-Jul-19

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
I found a Curt Brand that Home Depot carries .... 41.5" x 37 that looks perfect .. $106

12-Jul-19
Jeff,

Got mine at WM for less than that.

03-Aug-19

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
here a pic of the new roof rack .... 41.5" x 37" x 4" .... tire fits perfectly, it will go in come season .... I'll use ratchet straps to hold it in place and a cable lock to prevent theft ..

03-Aug-19
Jeff,

Most come with U bolts to secure it to your roof rack. Use longer ones and double nut it, much more secure than ratchet straps and makes it time consuming to steal.

03-Aug-19
DOH !! ....that didnt come out right .... let me try it again.... I'll use ratchet straps to hold down the "spare tire" or I'll get the Y shaped strap made specifically for the spare..... .... I did use the u bolts to secure the rack, I do plan on using extra nuts to fully secure the knobs and add some blue loc tite also ... .....

03-Aug-19
Check.

04-Aug-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Paint any color ya want
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Paint any color ya want
I had this one on my F350

04-Aug-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
This Yakima on my Jeep

Good luck, Robb

04-Aug-19

badguybuster's embedded Photo
badguybuster's embedded Photo
I use a Rocky Road Outfitters roof rack and tire carrier. Made from DOM tubing.

04-Aug-19
BULELK1, what manufacturer is the one on the Ford 350 topper, I have that topper on my Ford, looking for a rack

04-Aug-19
Is there any wind noise with these roof racks?

04-Aug-19
none that I have notice on mine... I dont have the tire up there yet however ...... mine is rock solid

05-Aug-19
I never notice any wind noise at all.

trublucolo it was out of Cabela's like 10 years ago, it's lasted well.

Good luck, Robb

05-Aug-19
When I put the tire in mine I get some wind noise I notice for the first few miles but quickly forget.

05-Aug-19
I wont care about wind noise as the windows will be up in the fall/winter anyways ... when the season is over, the tire will go into the back hatch again and the rack will 'prolly come off ... its only use for me is for the tire, so I have more room to put my deer cart and LW/Sticks in the back ......

• Sitka Gear