7mm08 25-Jul-19
Beendare 25-Jul-19
goelk 26-Jul-19
Zebrakiller 26-Jul-19
Inshart 26-Jul-19
Thornton 26-Jul-19
Shawn 26-Jul-19
23-Jul-19
What do you all eat if you had kidney stones. I'm suppose to give up beef and sticks jerky, chocolate , salty food, salami, pepperoni and ham. Anything calcium. Man I love all this food.

23-Jul-19
I eat everything mentioned, just in moderation. The biggest thing I had to do was drink more water and lose the Mt. Dew. I’ve had stones since the diet change, but not as often and they pass sooner.

23-Jul-19
I had 2 cases, and both were really bad. I have not changed my diet, have not had one attack in over 5 years. I just drink, drink, and then drink more water. I believe there are 2 types of stones, uric and calcium. Have a sit down with your doctor and then see a nutritionist. Good luck, I know the pain and do not wish it on almost anyone.

23-Jul-19
"Pain don`t hurt".....the infamous "Dalton".

Do what you love in moderation...I will take the few weeks of pain vs. the years of being miserable and not enjoying life.

23-Jul-19
Pain may not hurt, but passing a rock through yer member does!!! What they said above, moderation and tons of water!!!

23-Jul-19
Don't ignore this, change your diet and listen to your Doctor. My Dad thought he could cheat on the diet over a few years because he had no symptoms in that time span. Then one day the symptoms return and doctor tells him the stone is the size of a golf ball. It turned in to big surgery and he was down for 8 weeks.

23-Jul-19
Calcium oxalate are most common type of stones. After a kidney stone I did change my diet as I was eating a large amount of nuts esp almonds as well as spinach. Both are very high in oxalate. Other nuts have a fair amount as well. Seeds such as sunflower and pumpkin are much lower and still give you fats.

My urologist told me that if I were going to eat high oxalate foods, to eat some form of dairy like milk or cheese as the calcium will bind the oxalate in the gut so it is not absorbed.

You can do a search online for oxalate content of food but be warned there is some confusion and disagreement between references.

Absolutely agree with drinking a lot of water. Hopefully never again as I have a new definition of pain.

23-Jul-19
Why did you go to the doctor?

23-Jul-19
Pansies tuff it out piss it out great colors lol

23-Jul-19
Pass it while you’re shooting 3D...... and then it will be Archery related.

23-Jul-19
BB now that's the can do attitude ;)

23-Jul-19
Or just take a maintenance dose of Herb Pharms stone breaker liquid and never have another one.Take it from me the stuff works and have never had another one since starting this.

23-Jul-19
No more mtn few and A lot of Busch light you welcome ..sincerely doc

24-Jul-19
I've never had them but a friend of mine has. He's been in a house fire and has some significant 3rd degree burns. He said before kidney stones if you asked him, he'd say 3rd degree burns are a 9 out of 10 on the pain scale. After passing some stones, he said burns are a 7. He said it felt like the Dr, went in "the hole" with an egg beater and boxing gloves to break it up. He said he couldn't walk and was throwing up uncontrollably and his wife took him to the hospital and of course it was out of network and he got hosed by insurance for that because "it wasn't an emergency".

24-Jul-19
I had them about 10 years ago in my mid 20’s they were no joke. The doctor suggested a similar move but tbh I ate pretty clean to start so I increased my water intake .....nock on wood so far so good. Good luck and remember even tough guys cry when pissing out a rusty razor blade stone :)

24-Jul-19
Lithotripsy, I have had stones plenty over the years. The real pain is going from kidney to the bladder if they make it, piss them out. There is no pain like it!! Lithotripsy is when the use sound waves to break them up and than you piss them out. Plenty of water, less Dew and cut down on seeds but I still get them. I would rather shoot an arrow through my foot than pass a stone. Shawn

24-Jul-19
Shawn, the pain part is exactly right by the time I passed them I was like whatever, this doesn’t hurt as bad as them traveling

24-Jul-19
Well timed thread. I'm currently recovering from my first stone. All that y'all have said about the pain is accurate=worst I've ever had. I finish the process today with the removal of a stent placed during surgery to remove the stone. No fun having strings protruding from your Johnson. The little research I've done concerning causes/preventative measures are all over the chart. One thing is for sure, staying hydrated is key to prevention. Oh, and don't overlook the genetic component. If your parents have had them, it's time to start adjusting the diet.

24-Jul-19
I've had several bouts with kidney stones- one being on an elk hunt in Colorado.Hydration is extremely important - you have to pay close attention to fluid intake . Water works best for me- no Gatorade,etc. Uric acid level in your body will increase when you are dehydrated.

24-Jul-19
I have a friend that’s had multiple stones. While at the urologist waiting room an old man told him to drink a mixture of grape juice, apple cider vinegar with the mother, and honey daily . There might be more in it I’ll have to ask. He’s been stone free for years and I don’t believe he’s modified his diet otherwise.

24-Jul-19
I called him and he says he mixes 32oz of 100% grape juice with a cup of honey and a cup of apple cider vinegar(with mother) and drinks a glass morning and evening. He says it’s the vinegar that does the trick so I suppose you could mix it with water. He said he gets lazy a lot and doesn’t drink it. When he does he’ll feel a stone coming and just take a shot glass of apple cider vinegar 4-5 times a day until he disolves it. He claims he’s dissolved 2 stones that doctors told him he had to have laser surgery for. I think he said the biggest was nearly a cm and he dissolved it in three days taking shots of vinegar with the mother(cloudy apple cider vinegar). I’m not speaking from experience but my buddy has had multiple stones removed until he started doing this. I’ve drank apple cider vinegar with my wife for it’s claimed “health benefits”. She puts 3 cap fulls in a glass of water but personally I’d rather take a shot and chase it with a glass of water. ;) Don’t let the stuff sit on your teeth all day.

24-Jul-19
nvgoat has got it right for calcium oxalate stones. I used to eat those "heart healthy" almonds most mornings for breakfast, but after a 1 cm stone that required a stent, lithotripsy and missing a week of work, I've not eaten one since. I still eat a few peanuts but add some cheese at the same sitting, hoping the calcium and oxalate combine in my gut and are eliminated instead of being absorbed and forming a stone in my kidney. I hope to never experience that again.

24-Jul-19
I have had kidney stones 4 times. I passed them every time without medical help. One I had went on for several months and I finally went in for tests. The morning I had an appointment with the urologist I passed the stone. I went to my appointment anyway. He told me many things cause kidney stones. He suggested focusing on what prevents them. He told me to eat tomatoes, drink lemonade and other acidy foods. I also quite taking multiple vitamins and have not had one in 14 years. As others have said they are no fun. When mine got bad I would throw up every 15 minutes like clock work. This was simply due to the pain.

24-Jul-19
They are ruthless for sure! Had them 15 or so years ago now. Passed a couple and had to have lithotripsy done to remove one that stayed put for nearly 6 months. Drink lots of water now and haven't had any problems since. Haven't changed my diet any other than the water.

24-Jul-19
Drink at least a gallon of water a day

24-Jul-19
Stay away from the dark green veggies like spinach. I never liked it anyway. Drink a lot of water, and add some lemon. I just think about getting dehydrated and I start pissing blood.

24-Jul-19
Depends on if they are Utica acid stones or calcium stones. If you produce Utica acid stones there is medication, like allipuranol, that will reduce your levels. If they are calcium that is tougher. Either way stay away from alcohol, tea, dark green veggies. My doc told me that if you tried to go by the dietary guidelines you would become malnutritioned.

24-Jul-19
I use to get them, and my doctor thought that my diet and water intake was pretty good, long story short, I gave up coffee and boom, no more stones. Good luck, they are no fun.

24-Jul-19
I had one bout with one surgically removed that was too big. The only surgery I've every experienced and my only time under anesthesia. I passed several the "hard way" after surgery that they told me would come down. The last one I passed was in my insurance office and I closed the door while my secretary helped the person. I thought I was being quiet spinning on the floor under my desk. When the person left, my secretary asked if I was "working out" in my office:) Apparently, she could hear me groaning, ha. I never could pinpoint what caused mine but I remembered taking calcium supplements in megadoses. Like was said above, I quit taking all vitamin supplements. I gave up soda for awhile but have since reverted back to diet pepsi but no further attacks. I was reminded reading this and I'll start drinking more water and some vinegar. NEVER want to experience that again.

24-Jul-19
I had them about 10 years ago in my mid 20’s they were no joke. The doctor suggested a similar move but tbh I ate pretty clean to start so I increased my water intake .....nock on wood so far so good. Good luck and remember even tough guys cry when pissing out a rusty razor blade stone :)

24-Jul-19
A nurse at the hospital had passed a couple which is not as common as men. She said she’d rather give birth than pass a stone!

24-Jul-19
Ive had them a few times. 2 surgeries this year alone. Im definitely drinking more water now than ever. Never want to do that again.

25-Jul-19
Idea topic for CF .

25-Jul-19
I've passed 11.... stay well hydrated, avoid coffee and diet soda. Carry pain meds.

25-Jul-19
I have been on my hands and knees puking and never took pain meds.I had lithotripsy and did not get any meds or anesthesia for that. Left the hospital and on the way home made the wife pull over. They give you a strainer to piss in to catch the broken up stones. Well I just started peeing and it was straight blood when I suddenly felt a huge bulge in my johnson and everything stopped. Had my wife come over and take a look and feel it and she ended up milking a stone the size of a small lima bean out of me. It was so big I thought of making a necklace out of the f'ing thing. Doctor said while I had the procedure of breaking it up it must of moved into my bladder. Lithotripsy without any meds feels like someone takes a giant rubber band and stretches it ten feet and lets it slap into your back, after the first 10 times you don;t feel it but the first few hurt bad!! I have a couple stones in my left kidney now they are small and not moving but I dread the day they do! Shawn

25-Jul-19
I have passed 20 over the years. Lots of R.R. visits due to them. Expensive little bass-terds. Passed three in the past 6 weeks. I really need to change something. They hurt big time.

25-Jul-19
I've passed a couple.

You get the idea these are smooth round stones like river rock....Ugh, no...they are rough like an asteroid. In fact, its hard for me to watch that movie "Armageddon" without my southern region twisting.

We were coming back from Kodiak many years ago and my buddy chuck came out of the Anchorage airport bathroom white as a ghost. Kidney stones he grunted.

I tried to get him to the hospital but oh man that was a bad idea for him to get on that plane...the pressure change looked like it was going to kill him. Lucky there was a doc on board to get him some morphine.

26-Jul-19
Well guys it's more common than I thought from you all. I pass my 8mm stone this morning. Alleluia No more nuts, spinach, chocolate, and red meat. Well, red meat in moderation and lots of water. I got the stone when I was in New york city Flying home , I spent 4 hours in the bathroom pain and nausea . The airline stwertress but out order sign on my door. Lol hell I even landed still in the bathroom. Ambulance waiting for me. So glad to get the morphine. They say it's a man's child birth. Glad I'm not the only one being a sissy. Good luck hunting

26-Jul-19
I had them so bad the first week in November last year bad timing!!!!!!!!!!! I was in hospital 3 times in 9 days before the did surgery, I had 20 stones in right kidney and o in left, , I feel your pain guys ouch!

26-Jul-19
My son used to drink a ton of Mt. Dew. He went to emergency room with stones - was advised by Dr. to definitely stay away from Dew.

26-Jul-19
I've spoken to female patients that have had children and kidney stones. They said the kidney stones are worse. I think it's a hereditary thing. Nobody in my family gets them.

26-Jul-19
I agree Jason my Dad lost half a kidney to stones in the 1940's. He had 4 bigger than marbles. Dew is bad but it is so good!! Shawn

• Sitka Gear