Treeline 28-Jul-19
Will 29-Jul-19
Jackaroo 29-Jul-19
PoudreCanyon 29-Jul-19
TrapperKayak 29-Jul-19
27-Jul-19

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo
Long time reader.....infrequent poster here. Cleaning chest freezer this morning and came across a vacuum sealed package of wet-aged backstrap. Bonus! Wife suggested keeping it simple salt/pepper, grill and Chimichurri (I am typically a bacon-wrapped, soy marinade guy). In short, positively outstanding, so I thought I would share with you all. Enjoy.

1/2 cup olive oil 1/2 cup chopped parsley 4 cloves minced garlic 3/4 tsp dried oregano 1/2 tsp coarse salt 1/2 tsp pepper 1-2 red chili/Fresno peppers 2 tbsp red wine vinegar

27-Jul-19
Looks great! Hopefully this thread will snowball into a Bowsite recipe bonanza!

27-Jul-19
Yummy

27-Jul-19
Looks great. Tell us how you wet age it, please.

27-Jul-19
YES! Please tell us. I've never heard of that term. I'm all ears (or eyes in this case!).

27-Jul-19
By no means an expert, yet will share my approach/understanding. Quite simple actually. Deboned & sliced steaks (in this case backstrap cut into medallions). Vacuum seal and keep in refrigerator for up to 14 days (10 days for me). Remove from package and either cook then or, in my case, I removed the venison from its own juices and re-sealed for freezer. Apparently this process can be done after meat has been initially frozen, but haven’t tried that yet. In summary, the meat is sealed in its own juices where the enzymes breakdown the tissue, while the air (potential for bacteria growth) is eliminated. Truth is, I’d be lying if I told you the flavor/texture was any different due to this process (after all - this was backstrap), but I intend to hopefully try again this Fall with a roast. Hope this is responsive.

28-Jul-19
Thanks for the share, I'll have to try that.

28-Jul-19
Man, I think I could eat that chimichurri on just about anything....sounds great!

28-Jul-19
Nice find!!!

28-Jul-19
Gonna put that chimichurri recipe down... sounds GREAT!

29-Jul-19
YUM!

29-Jul-19
Wet aged is how all beef is aged for grocery stores and Costco. The beef is butchered into the bulk section for whatever cut, then sealed in a saline solution and sealed in a plastic bag. It ages as it is shipped to the store. It gains weight from the saline solution as opposed to dry aged beef that loses up to 30% of weight as it’s aged. Makes more money as they are just selling water weight. Completely different flavor profile. It’s neither good nor bad just different.

Chop some fresh cilantro and put it in the Chimichurri . Also use extra virgin olive oil.

29-Jul-19
Looks great! I need more backstrap in my life...

29-Jul-19
It looks like an eland steak.

• Sitka Gear