nmwapiti 28-Jul-19
Overland 28-Jul-19
Big John 28-Jul-19
elkmtngear 28-Jul-19
Mule Power 29-Jul-19
28-Jul-19

nmwapiti's embedded Photo
All, did a little test on price and quantity of Mountain House meals in the large cans. Thought I would share the results in case someone else is interested.

28-Jul-19

So it started when I found a can of noodles and chicken at a local store for a decent price. I thought why not, but never got around to seeing how much cheaper it really was.

Here is the skinny...a regular 2.5 serving packet has about 2 1/4 cups.

28-Jul-19

You can pay around $9 for a single packet on the shelf. I buy them in a case from amazon or in the bucket and you pay about $6.30 each.

The can is $25 on amazon and has about 11 cups. I always find the 2.5 serving meals are just a little big for a sitting. So, I put 2 cups in each ziploc and just spread the last cup out and called it good.

28-Jul-19

That works out to $5 a meal. So.e savings and you also save a little weight without the foil pouch, but you have to bring a Tupperware or something to mix it in. Anyway, not a bad way to go. Ate one out of the ziploc this weekend and it worked fine.

28-Jul-19
You know your supposed to eat within like a week after opening the can right. Other down side is I can't eat the same meal five times in a row. I still can't stand to even smell the beef stew since I eat a whole can in like five meals in five days.

28-Jul-19
Yep. Doing lots of backpacking right now. Should have added the disclaimer not for long term use...

28-Jul-19
Buy some stand up boil-in bags off amazon.

28-Jul-19
Probably works best if you have a couple guys going out for a week or so. Easy to eat each meal 2 or 3 times. Save a few bucks.

28-Jul-19
Just don't do what I did and forget to bring a can opener. When I finally got the can open the word jagged would be an understatement. For the very minimal cost savings and the hassle of having to measure out portions, bring a bag to heat it in, etc, I've found its much easier to just buy the packets.

28-Jul-19
Great info...

28-Jul-19
Did the same thing last Season, vacuum packed individual servings immediately after opening the can. When it was time to eat them, I would just pour them in an empty mountain house bag instead of ziplocks.

Worked well, no "Montezuma's Revenge"...

29-Jul-19
I’m not a fan of cans because I like a variety during my hunt so I never use a full can in one season. So the contents would be exposed to air/moisture whereas packets are protected and last for years. I suppose I could vac seal some but you’d have to add the cost and my time into the equation.

• Sitka Gear