7mm08 02-Aug-19
Junior 02-Aug-19
petedrummond 02-Aug-19
JL 02-Aug-19
ELKMAN 03-Aug-19
BowmanMD 03-Aug-19
jjs 03-Aug-19
30-Jul-19
In just about a month from now I will be up in a tree again, much earlier than I ever have before. I assume I will likely be sharing the space with hundreds of mosquitos too. There are a lot of things on the market to keep the bugs away, what do you guys think is best for keep the bugs away while in a tree?

30-Jul-19
Had one for years and finally used it. I'm a believer.

30-Jul-19
Thermacells work great. Better if you are in an enclosed area or no wind. Skeeters definitely avoid the vapors.

30-Jul-19
Not sure what that thing puts off but it works! In 20 years we will all find out it causes cancer and I wont be surprised at all. It works that good.

30-Jul-19
I'll risk the cancer, that's how good it works.

30-Jul-19
Dan, it works. The only time it doesnt work, is when a solid breeze is blowing, thus the "stuff" is blowing downwind of you. Then again, in that situation, there tend to be fewer mosquito's out. Other than Permithrin, it's about the best "bang for your buck" that you can spend regarding bugs.

Do it.

Oh, but if you do, and you think you are smart and figure out how to use it while fly fishing, watch where your line goes, so you dont melt apart a section of 80 dollar line. Dont ask how I learned this valuable bit of info :)

30-Jul-19
They are going to come in handy in our woods. Mosquitoes are JUST CRAZY here. I suggest 2 of them....

30-Jul-19
Simply the greatest invention ever

30-Jul-19
You can take away my fox north and Minnesota Twins but don’t mess with my thermacell oh damn they did take away my fox North and Minnesota twins!!!

30-Jul-19
Best thing since sliced bread!

30-Jul-19
I used one first time this year to hunt black bear i could not have hunted with out it it work well.

30-Jul-19
What trakman said. I used them in Alaska for brown and black bear, and they worked great.

30-Jul-19
Told my wife when I kick the bucket to throw my Thermacell in the casket, just in case! Don't leave home without it and also use it while hunting early deer season in IA. I hunt a section of river bottom and it is a must.

30-Jul-19
Not only do they actually WORK AS ADVERTISED (and even more so), but even a backwards Luddite, technologically handicapped crabby old man like me who yells at clouds, can operate it without screwing it up!

And maybe best of all.......there's no BATTERY or Heaven forbid MICROCHIP involved in any way, shape, or form!!!

The only way I can screw it up is to leave it at home.

30-Jul-19
Does exactly what it says it does...keeps the bugs away.

30-Jul-19
It appears as if I may be the only desenting voice but I am not impressed with their effectiveness. I have tried three different ones over the last several years and do not find the nearly miraculous performance that most folks seem to have experienced. Camping, Fishing and Hunting multiple attempts, I don't find they work at all let alone well.

dgb

31-Jul-19
I like mine for when I am boning off the meat on an elk or muley harvest (hang it off an antler) in late August or September as it Really helps keep those damn wasp's and fly's away.

Sure, depending on how strong the breeze is, it works great.

If it's windy I got no wasp's or fly's.....ya know.

Good luck, Robb

31-Jul-19
Thermacell is awesome. I use for hunting and in the yard.

31-Jul-19
Anybody refill their fuel bottles rather than replacing them?

31-Jul-19
Feel free to mail me yours loghouse:)

31-Jul-19
I'm a user, believer, and unpaid salesman.

31-Jul-19
Two Feathers Yes, then all I do is buy the mats.

31-Jul-19
Never leave home without it!

31-Jul-19
If my wife is nearby I don’t worry about skeeters...she’s a skeeter magnet! I bought her one and it works fine. When by myself I have put a few drops of Deet on a handkerchief and tied around my neck. This keeps them away from my head without having to put it directly on my skin.

31-Jul-19
Two Feathers I haven't refilled mine but the old lady's curling iron uses the same damn butane canisters for a significantly lower cost.

Was just up the North Fork of the Flathead and ran out of butane canisters, refilling would have been a nice option.

31-Jul-19
loghouse: Did you turn it on? ;-)

Seriously, if it doesn't work AT ALL for you, then something major is amiss.

31-Jul-19
Another firm believer in them. It doesn’t take long to know when the butane cylinder has run out! It’s generally about the same time as when a shooter bear is about to come in to the bait :-(

31-Jul-19
Bought one this spring ..... Only thing I regret was not buying one sooner..

01-Aug-19
You can refill the butane bottles. Here's how:

1. Pull out the brass valve with pliers; 2. Using a small drill bit that is a little smaller than the hole the valve came out of, drill it out. 3. Reinsert the valve. 4. You'll need to use a dremel to sand down the diameter of a butane refill bottle to fit the valve hole. There needs to be a slight angle on the end of the refill tube. Insert and fill. You'll get 6-8 bottles out of one regular butane refill bottle.

01-Aug-19
If you can find Clipper brand butane refill cans, they come with a plastic nozzle that fits perfectly down the brass nozzle of the cartridges. No dremmel needed then.

01-Aug-19
Works great for me, especially in a ground blind. Can't hunt without it when the bugs are out.

01-Aug-19
My lips get numb in a ground blind, but that’s how I know it’s working!!!

01-Aug-19

02-Aug-19
They work great where I hunt in Missouri. They do not work at high elevations.

02-Aug-19
They work great where I hunt in Missouri. They do not work at high elevations.

02-Aug-19
Just llomed, they now make the "Thermocell Backpacker" that will.work up to 7500 ft elevation. I need it at 11-12000.

02-Aug-19
Just looked, they now make the "Thermocell Backpacker" that will.work up to 7500 ft elevation. I need it at 11-12000.

02-Aug-19
The Thermacell Patio Torch works great at camp to!

02-Aug-19
going to lake of the woods always burn 2 on floor of boat to keep biting flies at bay.

02-Aug-19
I vote for thermacell too. I used one on my last bear hunt for the first time and it works well chasing off the skeeters while I was in a ladder stand. The wind was blowing from my back to the drum and it didn't seem to alert the bears. The only time it didn't seem to work was when we did the tracking job (ie...moving) and loading the bear that was down in a swampy area. I think the amount of skeeters overwhelmed the thermacell and a few kamikaze skeeters got thru.

03-Aug-19
Love mine

03-Aug-19
I’ve used one for years and love it. Just upgraded to the new backpacker model because I can use the same butane canister that I would use for my backpacking stove ($4 at cabelas) and it lasts 40 hours. It uses the same pads as the old one but now I don’t have to mess with those stupid little expensive butane things.

03-Aug-19
Just bought one today, with all this rain we had here it will be one big suck out there unless an early frost.

• Sitka Gear