drycreek 21-Aug-19
Slate 23-Aug-19
huntskifishcook 23-Aug-19
RogBow 23-Aug-19
Matt 23-Aug-19
Franklin 24-Aug-19
13-Aug-19

DL's Link
Video on him getting it. Holy crap talk about a lot of larvae in that meat!!

14-Aug-19
Love that guy! Great video! Thanks for posting!!!

14-Aug-19
That’s funny

14-Aug-19
Always deep freeze your bear meat before eating. There is a duration scale of days at certain temps below 0 that will kill the Trich, depending on how low your freezer goes….along with cooking of course.

14-Aug-19
so he will always be carrying around those in his muscles until a zombie eats him then there stomach acid will release them into their system. Yuk!

14-Aug-19
WOW!

14-Aug-19
This used to be common when people fed their hogs meat scraps. It’s the reason pork has always had a recommendation to cook thoroughly. It’s not very likely that modern pork production methods have those issues.

14-Aug-19
It can also be transmitted through cuts in your hands when processing.

14-Aug-19
Freezing alone will NOT kill trich. in wild game. It might suffice for domestic pork, but for wild game you better cook it well (about 165 degrees should do it).

14-Aug-19
Burn everything 180 degree internal temp

14-Aug-19
Freezing does not necessarily kill the types of trichinella that wild game can carry. Must cook it!

14-Aug-19
Wow, crazy to think that he’s a carrier lol

14-Aug-19
You guys are correct about "killing" Trich technically. But deep freezing prevents the parasite from entering YOUR body. As I stated....this along with cooking is your best defense. The temp needed is not as high as you think but as Steve found out, you MUST cook every piece to that temp....not just parts of it.

14-Aug-19
Is it safe to say only carnivores or omnivores carry?

14-Aug-19
I hear people saying they make jerky out of bear meat and I’m very skeptical.

14-Aug-19
Reconfirms my thoughts on donation and states that don't require salvage.

14-Aug-19
So can one have bear meat tested? And can it test negative, but there be positive larvae in other parts of the meat?

I have known about this and killed my first bear last fall. I've been diligent about cooking it and testing it to 165+ with meat thermometer for at least 5 min as online instructions all seem to say; however, this video definitely makes me more paranoid...

14-Aug-19
Yes.....any predator can get Trich. It has showed up in Mtn Lion also. I made wild game sausage commercially using bear and boar. After discussing this issue with a lab rat I went to the fail safe of deep freezing AND proper cooking. That is why I don`t eat predators and stopped making sausage out of predators and wild pigs. I won`t make sausage, jerky or canned goods for anyone but my family and me.

It`s virtually non-existent in todays domestic pork production. Recently the FDA even dropped the required cooking temp from 165 to 145.

14-Aug-19
Wow. Good to know

14-Aug-19
I’ve taken several bears and we’ve eaten them. I’m supposed to go this year to a friends place to eliminate a large boar. Thinking about these things being in the meat is a little unsettling to me. Not a fan of ticks fleas or internal parasites.

15-Aug-19
Yeh......I don't want that.

16-Aug-19
Well, I feel so much better about cooking stuff to shoe leather now :)

16-Aug-19
So if Trichinosis is painful to a human is it painful to a bear? As in do they experience the same symptoms we do? Might be a stupid question but I'm not a biologist.

19-Aug-19
Smarba, I’m sure you can get the meat tested but I would not recommend it as most wild bear populations have incredible rates of trichinosis. I believe Ontario had like 90% in a study I read?

20-Aug-19
Thx MichaelArnette. So it's likely a particular bear meat has it. Driving home the point to cook well done and test with meat thermometer. I just didn't have a feel for if it was 1 out of 100 bears that had it or 99 out of 100.

Next question is do you think game processors take precautions not to contaminate their gloves, knives, tables, with bear meat when they process elk or deer? I'm going to have to ask my butcher about it...

20-Aug-19
solidifies my thoughts on bear meat - 'not fit for human consumption'

20-Aug-19
Just one more reason why I don't kill and eat bears.

Matt

20-Aug-19
I had a friend in medical school that did studies on the risks of trichinosis in humans. He knew I was a hunter. When he learned about all of the horrible things those little parasites can do to a guy he called me and made me promise to never, ever eat bear meat again. I haven't.

21-Aug-19
And folks still ask me why I don’t eat wild hogs......

23-Aug-19
Good info

23-Aug-19
Trich dies at 137. It's an awesome candidate for sous vide, because you can rest assured every iota of meat has reached the minimum temperature. Plus, the wife likes it more than venison, so we will keep chowing down!

23-Aug-19
Just gotta be smart about it, well done and keep things clean. Bear meat is great.

23-Aug-19
Bear can be excellent, easy enough to cook it to a temperature to put you in the clear.

24-Aug-19
Not up to speed on the "sous vide" but I think the longer, slower cooking methods above the 137 degree mark is your safest bet. Making sure every section of meat is thoroughly cooked above the temp range is key.

I would eat a piece of bear jerky cooked in a oven at 175 for 6 hours before a bear roast....lol

• Sitka Gear