Mule Power 15-Aug-19
Scrappy 15-Aug-19
elkmtngear 15-Aug-19
Franklin 15-Aug-19
Treefarm 16-Aug-19
t-roy 16-Aug-19
dirtclod Az. 16-Aug-19
15-Aug-19
Going to do the last two weeks of elk season and would like to use dry ice. Any recommendations on the best way to pack my cooler and how much. 90qt pelican cooler for main cooler

15-Aug-19
5 or 6 blocks, laid out over the top of the meat in the cooler, should get you two (or more) days travel time. Quarters on the bottom will probably be frozen when you arrive.

Game bags will provide a sufficient barrier for the (wrapped) ice blocks.

15-Aug-19
I agree with the dry ice on top. But on top of that I put another layer of anything for insulation. My heavier coat and pants, pillow, newspapers.... whatever. Also it’s amazing the difference if you put something on top of your cooler once you close it and tape it shut. Sleeping bag, wall tent or similar. I once had two 100 quart coolers with whole quarters in both. We put the wall tent on top of one. When we got to Pa from Wyoming the ice was all gone in one. Meat was very cold but not frozen. The meat in the other was frozen with some dry ice still in there.

15-Aug-19
I just want to make sure you understand elkmtngear about leaving the dri ice in the heavy paper sacks that the store will put it in to keep it from freezer burning your meat. Some people will even put a piece of cardboard in between the meat and ice.

15-Aug-19
Yep, that's what I meant by (wrapped). Personally, I just tarp the meat, and put it in a double sleeping bag, wrapped up like a big burrito, with the dry ice on top under the tarp (blocks wrapped in brown paper). Been doing this for decades, no spoilage or freezer burn. No cooler required.

15-Aug-19
I would think in a quality cooler he could get away with less blocks. We kind of do what elkmtn does with a blow up kiddy pool. We lob all the meat in it....cover it up and place the ice then cover up the ice.

The kiddy pool is nice because if you whiff you don`t have to look at a empty container all the way home...lol....it stays in the wrapper.

16-Aug-19
Please, Just make sure you have adequate ventilation if cooler is inside topper and you sleep in there.

16-Aug-19
Treefarm X2^^

You definitely don’t want to store it in the same area that you are sleeping, or in the cab or passenger areas of your vehicle. We had a potentially scary experience with it in a big passenger van on a fishing trip to Canada.

16-Aug-19
I take the wrapped dry ice and put it in paper bags from the grocery store then wrap it with tape.Place it on top then a layer of newspapers on top of everything and tape the cooler shut.Insulation around the cooler sounds like a good idea.

• Sitka Gear