brewski 24-Aug-19
Bowbender 24-Aug-19
brewski 24-Aug-19
21-Aug-19

Cityhunter333's embedded Photo
Wyoming rattlesnake
Wyoming rattlesnake
A adult Prairie rattlesnake, Wyoming ! This snake shows aggression but it was only after me picking him up and handling him. He was found in the sage flats early morning while packing out a deer. The snake was out in the early morning sun /temps were in the upper 50s . I took his pic and we went on our way!

21-Aug-19
Holy smokes....you're alive! Thought you fell off of the planet!! Cool photo!!

21-Aug-19
Nice pic, Louis! They love soaking up that morning sun.

How about a pic of the deer (and tell us the story)? ;^)

21-Aug-19

Baby Mojave inside my hat
Baby Mojave inside my hat
Az. Mojave these snakes pack the worst venom in the United States! After my hunt I would drive the blacktop of southern Az and find it filled with Mojave rattlesnakes . In the cool of the evening they would lay on the blacktop to absorb the heat and then go out hunting! These snakes showed no aggression even when I handled them. They just wanted to be left alone. I would never bring a dog in this area in the summer months it would be lethal for the dog .

21-Aug-19
City hunter lives welcome back!

21-Aug-19
We missed you, buddy!

21-Aug-19
Welcome back City !

21-Aug-19
DANG City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you are careful, man! Trust me- you don't wanna find out what one of them little bastards can do to ya! I didn't even wanna click on this thread................... ;-)

21-Aug-19
Handling them?! I have no fear of snakes, but a healthy respect and wouldn't try to pick one up under any circumstances regardless of how mellow they seemed to be...

21-Aug-19
Glad to see you posting again. Looks like you finally got out of the city too!

21-Aug-19
Good to see you posting again Lou. Hope all is well . Hunt

21-Aug-19
Ditto above. Missed you here. In a, you know.... bro kinda way.... =D

I don't worry too much about snakes.... but would worry about the dogs and snakes. Especially when mine are snake stupid having never seen one and live for hunting lizards when it's not bird season.

Growing up in timber rattler area, I don't recall having too much trouble with the dogs WRT snakes? That was a long time ago when there wasn't much I DID pay attention to. Maybe something in their DNA tells em it's danger? Or maybe not.....

21-Aug-19
Louis welcome back! Great news

21-Aug-19
Carl i was going to be a dermatologist growing up. So handling hot snakes was never a issue for me! The cobras well that's a different animal very fast and some tend to be very aggressive in captivity! I posted this because cause i like to inform hunters especially with dogs hunting, during the warmer days of Aug sept. I seen a dog in new Mexico that had been bitten in the muzzle,

21-Aug-19
Lol auto correct it's herpetologist

21-Aug-19
Rut nut glad u are ok! No two bites are every the same! I've seen all kinds of color phases for timber rattlesnakes

21-Aug-19
Approximately how long was the prairie rattler in the pic you posted? Looks decent size, although I always thought they were smaller. Maybe I’m mistaken?

21-Aug-19
I'd say about 4 ft

21-Aug-19

Big old bull snake
Big old bull snake
Bull snake Az

21-Aug-19
Do those bull snakes testicles draw up inside them when they crawl?

Like mine do when I have to drive my wife's mini-van?

21-Aug-19
Thanks City! Yeah, that’s what I am finding out.

21-Aug-19

Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
About snakes and dogs...

I've live and hunt in snake country and I've had three dogs (down to one now) and they've all been snake trained. This involves a very powerful E-collar, live rattlesnakes and professional dog handlers. The handler takes the dog by its lead, moves toward the first snake for a visual correction. As soon as the dog acknowledges, via body language, that it sees the snake the handler observing the dogs behavior shocks the dog. Remember it's a super strong e-collar that I'm not sure you or I can buy. Next up is the sound association and they use a Timber Rattler for this; I was told they use this species because they're aggressive. Again, as soon as the dog's body language indicates they hear the snake, boom they're shocked. Last up is the scent association and they use a Great Basin Rattler for this because that's our local venomous snake. I had each of my three dogs snaked trained twice each in consecutive years and it's been very effective.

My middle dog was a small 50# female German Wirehair and she was a sensitive dog. During her second go around, she encountered the first snake, turned tail and ran up the hill back to me pulling the 250# handler up the hill. All this without being shocked. They didn't run her through the rest of the course and she never had an issue with a snake even though she had to have had several encounters while we were on hikes close to my house or chukar hunting during the early season.

My last and current dog, Harley, is a much larger 75# German Wirehair. He's built like a tank and is not a sensitive dog. During his first or second session (can't remember which) he made it through the first two encounters without even a yelp, even though they're laying the voltage to him. They took him around a large boulder for the last encounter, which was for scent and involved a snake in a cage, but the wind had changed and was blowing the snake's scent away from him so he did what felt right to him, came around the rock, raised his leg and peed on the cage and the snake. About mid-pee the wind swirled, he caught the scent, acknowledged this and the handler laid the electric shock to him. Needless to say we were all laughing and fairly certain he wouldn't be peeing on anymore rattle snakes.

Fast forward 5 to 6 years. It's August 2017 and for some reason I'm thinking daily about how many rattle snakes have likely made their way through the dog's large outdoor kennel when I'm not home or we're asleep. After a few days of thinking about this during waking and sleeping hours, my wife and I are watching TV one night and we hear Harley barking in the kennel. He's got the "wild horse bark", the "coyote bark" (he hates coyotes and they and wildhorses come through our property almost daily) and the "people are here bark" and this bark is different. I run outside and look in the kennel to see him low to the ground (almost in a point position) focused on something in front of him. I assume it's a coyote that's really close to the kennel but as I get closer I see and hear a large and very agitated rattlesnake that Harley is staying about 10 feet away from. The snake is in the kennel so I have little choice but to kill it. (I see rattle snakes several times each year in the hills around our house and I always leave them alone.) Fast forward to 2018 and the same exact thing happens. Both of these events and the reaction of my dogs during the second round of snake training have convinced me of its effectiveness and I highly recommend it for those of you with dogs. Both my wire hairs are/were lizard hunting maniacs but they stay away from rattlesnakes and I've seen them stay away from other snakes.

This is a picture of the first snake that came into the kennel a couple of years ago.

21-Aug-19
Last month a friend of mine had his Aussie pup about 3 or 4 months old take a hit from a diamond back right on the side of the nose, it swelled up , he took it to a vet and 2 days later he was good as new. I thought it would have killed him.

21-Aug-19
Jdee some snakes hold back on the amount of venom they dispense some even strike with a dry bite. Venom is used to hunt and help in the digestion of it's prey. As soon as a rodent is hit with. Venom it's actually starting to bleed internal this aids in digestion.

21-Aug-19
Louis, it’s good to see you posting. I wasted no time in clicking on your handle to see if you were the REAL cityhunter. Glad you’re back !

21-Aug-19
I’ve never had a dog die from a poisonous snake bite. And several of mine have been bitten. Usually just once. They seem to learn after the first. A couple of my current dogs won’t get close to a snake now.

Copperheads, rattlers, and the most common, moccasins. They’ve all been fine after a week or two.

I’m sure other large animals survive all the time in my neck of the woods. Just a natural occurrence.

21-Aug-19
^^^^^^^^ I’ve had two dogs that got snake bit. A big lab, who got bit somewhere under his neck by a cottonmouth, and some kind of Heinz 57 terrier who got bit somewhere around his head. Neither died, but both swelled up and got sick. The lab shook it off pretty well, but the little terrier looked like something out of a bad horror movie for several days. If it hadn’t been so sad, it would have been funny. His head was so big he looked like he would tip over.

21-Aug-19
Growing up I had a German Shepard that just could not stand snakes.

He flat hunted them down and would bite them and snap them like a whip till they were dead.

After the 2nd or 3rd time of getting bit, we figured it was a waste of money to take him to the vet.

That dog got bit at least three or four times a year by rattlers and cottonmouths for his whole life. And he actually lived to about 12.

Usually on the nose and a few times on a foot. Would swell up like a basketball and he would be kind of slow for about a week until the swelling went down.

Dogs seem to be pretty resistant.

21-Aug-19
Holy cats!!

Wasn’t expecting to open this thread and see Louis as the OP. Pleasant surprise!

I was expecting to find that another Bowsiter had been struck. Glad that wasn’t the case.

Glad to see you City.

21-Aug-19
Tavis- our current German Shepherd is the exact same way. He hates copperheads and puts a good shaking on any he finds.

-Mitch

21-Aug-19

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
I came within a whisker of stepping on this one the other day… Glad I didn’t!!!

22-Aug-19
Glad you didn't too Matt! Just curious- how close to it did you get and did it rattle?

22-Aug-19

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
Rut - as I recall, I was mid-stride with my weight fully committed to my right leg and my left foot on its way down toward the big X.

Chances are real good that I never got much past planting my right foot, because I grew up spending a lot of time barefoot outside of Denver, where we had prickly pear, barrel cactus, goat-heads, great big thistles, etc. Very uncommon for me to put a foot down outside without knowing what’s there.

But nope, no rattle, no buzz, no hiss, no nothin’. Just a LARGE, fully-coiled snake less than 3 feet away. Can’t honestly tell you how much closer I ever got than that, but if I did, I didn’t stay long enough to ponder it.

One thing that might (??) have saved me is that I was jogging - kind of high-stepping it - through there, so the foot-falls were irregular, more like a deer. For all I know, that snake has had a thousand deer pass by without incident and had no intention of reacting to a near miss. Or maybe it had just recently shed its skin? And you can see how clean and shiny the snake looked.

Also, after it left the area, I noticed that the leaves were formed around the shape of the snake, as if it had been there for some considerable length of time. So maybe it was a post-shedding thing, or maybe it had just chosen that spot to digest a hefty meal?

Whatever the reason, it was happy to leave me alone, and I was happy that it did! My 16-year-old observed at the time that a bite from that sucker probably would have qualified me for a helicopter ride out of there... I’m not sure I disagree, because we were 2 hard miles in, and after the way Nut’s story worked out...

22-Aug-19
WOW! That was CLOSE! Less than 3'? Then you were likely within striking distance. So glad you managed to avoid that little nasty..........................

23-Aug-19
TTT for IdylwildArcher ;-)

23-Aug-19
I was kinda disappointed that there wasn’t a little American flag stuck in the ground in front of the rattler, Lou! ;-)

Great to see you back on here again!

23-Aug-19

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
The thicker one was missing his rattles. You never would have heard him either. ;)
LINK's embedded Photo
The thicker one was missing his rattles. You never would have heard him either. ;)
I found these two this morning. They appeared to be attempting to multiply. I however did some subtracting by division. ;)

23-Aug-19

Rupe's embedded Photo
Rupe's embedded Photo
This was in Pennsylvania about 2 weeks ago. I let him cross the road. He was huge.

23-Aug-19

AZ is a herps Paradise
AZ is a herps Paradise

23-Aug-19
That looks like an old one Rupe- judging by the number of rattles............

23-Aug-19
Link - Kill-joy!

They have their place like everything else. Like the one that was living under my brother’s propane tank on the way to the outhouse. That one found a nice place on a board out in my dad’s workshop!

23-Aug-19
I hate our winter kill on whitetails, but love it on snakes.

23-Aug-19

Rupe's embedded Photo
Rupe's embedded Photo
Another picture of the snake. Some reason only 1 attached

23-Aug-19
GF I killed 6 one day this spring. I’m not scared of them, I just have no use for venomous snakes...Unless someone could make me a pair of boots.

23-Aug-19
I agree. I was gonna tell City to squeeze HARDER! ;-)

APauls- you have Rattlers in Manitoba?

24-Aug-19

brewski's embedded Photo
brewski's embedded Photo
Found this fat 4 footer while cycling 2 days ago. Eastern Diamondback

24-Aug-19

brewski's embedded Photo
brewski's embedded Photo
Here's one more

24-Aug-19
Nothing to add other than I’m glad to see Lou and Steve posting again.

24-Aug-19
Thankyou Tom..

• Sitka Gear