badbull 25-Aug-19
bowhunter24 25-Aug-19
oldgoat 26-Aug-19
Shawn 26-Aug-19
Crusader dad 26-Aug-19
loesshillsarcher 26-Aug-19
wilbur 26-Aug-19
25-Aug-19
I just want to share with you guys a few things about my father. I know the people on this site are cut from the cloth who will appreciate him. I cant even begin to explain how amazing the guy is. He's a 68 year old, Vietnam vet, blue collar guy who just wont complain about anything. He's got good reason to, he just doesn't. At 18 he joined the Army and left for Vietnam. He did a tour that was cut short because he contracted Lupus while over there. Medical belief is that Agent Orange contributed to it, but we cant prove it so no government check from that. So he's lived with lupus for 50 years and has serious reactions to sunlight. He has been on meds of all sorts to try to live a normal life, but has always been struggling with the lupus. Still, I never heard him complain about it even once while I was being raised by him. No complaints about working 3rd shift as a city street sweeper so he'd be out of the sun. Nothing from him when people would stare at his pink flaky skin while we were in restaurants. No complaints about constantly feeling itchy. He just went to work every day and powered through it. 6 years ago he was diagnosed with non-hotchkins lymphoma. He had tumors in his lip, lungs and cheeks. He underwent chemo and had half of one lung removed. He had 3 lip and mouth surgeries to remove tumors. He spent a ton of time in the VA hospital being "studied" because most patients dont live 50 years with lupus and then live through lymphoma. He not only lived through it, he bow hunted, worked a snow plow job, and never once complained during the ordeal. Now last week he got a super high fever and just felt run down. He was in and out of the VA and finally they admitted him. A week later and he gets a diagnosis, mono, and lymes disease! We are 21 days away from bow season and the guy has a 102 fever and looks like hell. I was sitting next to his hospital bed and I asked him how he was. His answer? "Ok, kind of tired. Hope I get out soon, I got stuff to do". Can you even believe this guy?! That's him though, no complaints just keep motoring on. He got out of the hospital yesterday, took a short nap, and......cut his lawn! The guy is just amazing. Throughout my life he's been my bow hunting partner. He's yet to kill a trophy buck, but that's not why he hunts. He likes the woods, the solitude, and to watch the deer. Getting one now and then is ok with him. Throughout my life I just took him for granted. He was always a steady, strong presence in all our lives. Now as I get older I appreciate how much tougher this man is than I'll ever hope to be. I hope as we all get ready for our seasons to open and the chase to begin, we stop to take a moment to think about the people we love and appreciate what they've done and been through. I know this fall my thoughts are with my dad. He's my hero.

25-Aug-19

SaltyB's embedded Photo
SaltyB's embedded Photo
Sitting in the hospital Friday. Bored, but still won't complain as he's in good spirits.

25-Aug-19

SaltyB's embedded Photo
102 fever with Mono and Lymes disease. Still wont slow down.
SaltyB's embedded Photo
102 fever with Mono and Lymes disease. Still wont slow down.
Dang stubborn fella! Mom sent me this yesterday afternoon. He wouldn't listen to her when she said he was too sick to mow the lawn.

25-Aug-19

SaltyB's embedded Photo
SaltyB's embedded Photo
His biggest bow kill. I desperately want him to get a giant in his lifetime, but he's slowing down and it isn't as important to him.

25-Aug-19
Best post in a long time. Thank you for reminding me.

25-Aug-19
Thanks, best wishes to your father.

25-Aug-19
He’s an inspiration to all. Thanks for sharing

25-Aug-19
Mans man. That is what he is . Best of luck this year and god bless. Hunt

25-Aug-19
You are a lucky son

25-Aug-19
A thank you to your dad for his service. I hope he drops the string on a pig this year! Keep us posted, and thanks for sharing!

25-Aug-19
Yup they don't come much tougher. My old man was a world war 2 vet contracted all kinds of stuff while in Africa but never complained a day in his life just kept it in and did what he had to do !

25-Aug-19
Great title, well said. Enjoy the time you get with your Dad. I hope he's able to get out this season.

25-Aug-19
What a great tribute to a great man! Thank you for this reminder an dthank your your for his service and his sacrifices!

25-Aug-19
What a great post! They don’t make many like him anymore! Good luck to both of you!

25-Aug-19
Best wishes to you and your dad. Good luck this season. Very inspiring thread!

25-Aug-19
Wow Heck of a man. Thanks for sharing.

25-Aug-19
Great post and I bet your dad is as proud of you as you are of him! I count every season I get with my dad now a blessing. Good luck this fall!

25-Aug-19
It’s amazing how soft our society has gotten over the last 60 years or so. Thanks to your dad for his service, my family Cherish’s our freedom because of people like him! Best of luck to you both this season. Thanks for posting

25-Aug-19
Your dad is One of the Good Ones. There can be no doubt that some of that has rubbed off on you. Thanks for your post....it made my day.

25-Aug-19
Thanks guys. Hes a great man. Just got off the phone with him and one of the things he asked was "you need a hand with anything around the house? Your mom wont let me do anything here." The dude's unreal.

25-Aug-19
Great tribute to a great man!

I hope karma has something special in store for him, and it walk by his stand in the form of a big 12 point buck.

Just make sure to tell him that he better not pass on a big one hoping it will walk past you, cause you won't shoot it.

I wish you both many more memories.

25-Aug-19
You have me a little choked up thinking about my late Dad who was cut from similar cloth. Have fun this fall and cherish your time together.

Thanks for posting.

25-Aug-19
Awesome thread & tribute to an outstanding man & father . . . may the Hunting Gods bless him this season ! I lost my best hunting partner at the age of 41 & he was a very similar man.

25-Aug-19
Awesome stuff! Sounds a lot like my Ol Man... tougher than chicken lips and never a complaint! Missing him a lot!

Thanks for sharing and please pass along a big thank you for his service.

25-Aug-19
It’s good that you have him to appreciate while he’s still here. I lost my Dad when I was 19, and he was like yours, never complained, just worked his ass off. Best of luck to him !

25-Aug-19
drycreek X2

Also lost my Dad at 19, he went through similar health issued (some I wasn't even aware of). The entire time he never complained and just worked to provide for his family - miss him tremendously!! Enjoy your time together!!

25-Aug-19
Thank your Dad for his service please and I hope you have many more great hunts together this season and many more!

25-Aug-19
Great man.

25-Aug-19
I didnt have a dad to look up like that but i would want him to be like yours. You are a fortunate man. Enjoy every moment.

25-Aug-19
It’s tough to watch your parents get old. Just lost my mom in March and my dad got out of the hospital last night after having a big blood clot in his left lung and one on his heart. We leave to go on his bighorn sheep hunt this Friday!

25-Aug-19
Best of luck with your dads healtg going forward and enjoy your time in the wood with him this season!

25-Aug-19
You've got every right to be proud Jeremy, your Dad sounds like an amazing Man! Great tribute, thank for sharing!

25-Aug-19
Very fitting for a man like him to have a son like you.Enjoy him every minute you can.I lost my dad 14 years ago and think of him every day.

25-Aug-19
Thank him for his service...he sounds like an old school guy....never complains, just keeps moving forward. I like that. FWIW.....if he or his unit has any documentation in the military records that shows he or his unit was near agent orange, he should submit a VA claim. The VA is receptive to VN vets who were near that stuff.

25-Aug-19
Spot on! Sometimes we have to slow down and look at what really is is important in life. Great post!

25-Aug-19
Love the bio on your Dad. He sounds like a great man.

25-Aug-19
Thank you for this post. Makes me thankful for the time I had with my dad and to appreciate every day that I have with my family.

25-Aug-19
Sounds like a great guy. I lost both of my parents in 95. Appreciate them while you can.

25-Aug-19
Great post. We thank him him for his service.

25-Aug-19
When I read this thread about your Dad, it made me think of this old poem....it fits! God Bless him!

On Down the Road...........................

Hold to the course, though the storms are about you;

Stick to the road where the banner still flies;

Fate and his legions are ready to rout you--

Give 'em both barrels--and aim for their eyes.

Life's not a rose bed, a dream or a bubble,

A living in clover beneath cloudless skies;

And Fate hates a fighter who's looking for trouble,

So give 'im both barrels--and shoot for the eyes.

Fame never comes to the loafers and sitters,

Life's full of knots in a shifting disguise;

Fate only picks on the cowards and quitters,

So give 'em both barrels--and aim for the eyes.

-- Grantland Rice, From "The Sportlight."

25-Aug-19
That's an awesome dad you have Jeremy. Thank you for sharing. That is a man in so many definitions of the word. You are blessed!

25-Aug-19
Great post! I know several men cut from the same cloth and admire every one. Best wishes and prayers for your dad to come through his latest speed bump unscathed!

25-Aug-19
Great post. My dad taught me to hunt and we lost him when I was in my early 20s. I think about him all the time when hunting. He was a WWII vet. Best of luck to you and your dad this season.

25-Aug-19
Fantastic post and you are blessed. Mans man indeed.

Have a great season

25-Aug-19
Awesome.

Bet he’s as proud of you as you are of him.

Thank you for sharing.

25-Aug-19
Good stuff.

25-Aug-19
God bless him and THANKS for his service JimH

25-Aug-19
Damn straight, a man’s man. Thank you for sharing. Best of luck this season to you and your dad.

25-Aug-19
Your dad has a very pleasant face reminding me of my long-gone uncle who was my inspiration in many ways including hunting. Good hunting to you and your well deserved dad......badbull

25-Aug-19
Thank you for your post and reminding us all, it not the inches on the wall that really matter. Good luck to both of you this season!

26-Aug-19
Thanks!

26-Aug-19
He is my hero too!! Cherish your time with him and may you both shoot a giant in the near future!!! Shawn

26-Aug-19
Great post. My dad was a Vietnam vet and he died in May. We just had his funeral in Arlington this past Monday. Enjoy the times you have with your pop. It sure is tough when they’re gone.

26-Aug-19
Right on!! Good for him!!

26-Aug-19
I enjoyed your post and what to THANK your dad for his service.

I got to tell you he looked great in the picture you posted.

Hope you guys have an awesome season this year.

• Sitka Gear