Surfbow 28-Aug-19
Shiras42 29-Aug-19
LINK 30-Aug-19
Russ Koon 30-Aug-19
sasquatch 31-Aug-19
Castle Oak 01-Sep-19
Russ Koon 01-Sep-19
27-Aug-19
Has anyone build their own truck bed decked system? I'm interested in seeing setups, plans etc. Recommendations and pros and cons. Thanks,

27-Aug-19
My next truck will have one.....

27-Aug-19
I wanted to build one this summer but never found the time. Would also like to see some plans. My wife has a Pinterest account and there are plenty of layouts on there.

27-Aug-19

longspeak74's embedded Photo
longspeak74's embedded Photo
Two platforms, with ample storage underneath. 1/2" foam, thermarest and sleeping bag. Legs are sturdy, but also c-clamped each platform to the topper lip.

27-Aug-19

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I have a poor man’s truck vault in mine built by a cabinet maker. It covers virtually the entire bed, it’s about 10” high, with two lockable drawers on rollers that are as long as the bed. One side holds tools, etc. and the other side holds guns, bows, or whatever you want to put in it. There’s still enough room to carry enough hunting gear, including duffel, for three guys to go pronghorn hunting. With a hitch haul on back to carry an extra large ice chest it holds all we need.

27-Aug-19
^^ That's perfect right there.

27-Aug-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Here's mine. Bunk and room for a 120qt cooler alongside. Room for tools under bunk so I can lock tailgate for security.

27-Aug-19
I’ve always thought it would sweet to have a 4x4 van set up for off road use with the back made into a bunk house type deal .

27-Aug-19

cnelk's Link
Buskill - Here ya go ... see link

27-Aug-19
Been investigating options on this myself. $1250 is kind of steep for one.

27-Aug-19
Cnelk, if I hit the lotto I’ll buy us each one.

27-Aug-19
I built one almost exactly like the one Drycreek has posted above. It's the second one that I've built over the years. I lined the drawers with "egg crate" foam to protect our bow or guns.

28-Aug-19
I found a used decked system for sale relatively cheap. Problem is it is for a Chevy Colorado. I have Ram 1500 with the 6'4" bed. Would the smaller one fit in ok? Assuming it would, but would hate to buy it and not be able to use it.

28-Aug-19
Shiras, it will fit, but attaching it will require creativity, the Decked system bolts to the anchor points at the bed corners.

28-Aug-19
i plan on buying a smaller truck soon - a Tacoma or the new ford ranger - it will have the Decked system.. i've had a homemade one and it was absolutely perfect for all outdoor activities

28-Aug-19
I installed the factory Decked system in my truck and like it. Will hold plenty of weight (1/2 ton of feed or a 4 wheeler) and I like the waterproof and lockable drawers for my guns when I travel to hunt. $1250 is a lot and could prob make something close and cheaper but not sure if it would stand up and be waterproof for the things that can’t get wet. Am happy with mine other than the space I lose. You can’t just take it out whenever you want.

28-Aug-19
I scored a factory Decked system slightly used for $300, which was even less than I would've spent on good hardware and plywood to build my own...I highly recommend the Decked product, even for $1200...

29-Aug-19
Surf, Picked up a 1 year old decked system today for $300 from Facespace market place. It was for a smaller pickup (Chevy Colorado) but it fits in Doge Ram with a little space to spare and I think I am really going to like it.

Side note that the woman I bought it from creeped me on Facespace right before I got there and tried to back out because she saw that I like to moose hunt and that is her spirit animal.

30-Aug-19
I don’t know anything about Facebook as I’ve never been on but seams I’d have my settings on private. Cool rigs guys!

30-Aug-19
I used a somewhat similar system when I was elk hunting and camping for three weeks back in '99. I was in a standard bed S-10 Chevy so there wasn't much room, but I used totes that matched in height to provide the bed base, with a piece of 3/4" plywood sanded one side and cut to my height and about 22" wide as the actual bed surface. It was light enough to lift it off for access to the stuff in the totes, and replace it for bed use. Room under for some storage on the bed side between the totes and more in the other side of the bed. Worked well for me hunting solo. The cheap aluminum topper kept the rain and the critters off of me and my gear and the screened sliding side windows allowed good ventilation when it wasn't raining.

Sort of minimalist, but still comfy and I slept better on my air mattress in the back of that little truck out on the prairie than I did in the old motel in town on a previous visit to the same area, that had a fairly busy railroad about fifty feet behind it.

31-Aug-19
For the ones with a bed setup in the topper, how are y’all keeping dust out? Or are you not and just comfortable sleeping in a bunch of dust? Haha

01-Sep-19
Sasquatch, there are sealing kits available that work fairly well if installed correctly. I have cut my dust issue by 90%. Amazon is your friend.

01-Sep-19
Just the standard mounting foam tape between bed and cap, and the rubber seal that was original on the used cheap cap when I bought it. First week of my trip was in a very rural area of western ND (only paved road in the county was St Rd 85) and if you've ever been to the area there's nothing more pervasive than the scoria dust on their county roads.

Just don't forget to close those sliding side windows before driving anywhere! A little dust did get through, but just enough to need a quick shake of the sleeping bag and a wipe of the camp stove most days.

On my first trip out there, I was in my old Chevy van with well worn factory seals around all the doors. The dust penetration on that trip was measured in inches, not using a white glove. 8^)

• Sitka Gear