DEMO-Bowhunter 08-Oct-19
Brotsky 08-Oct-19
Zackman 08-Oct-19
DonVathome 09-Oct-19
jdan 09-Oct-19
tkjwonta 10-Oct-19
Bou'bound 10-Oct-19
28-Aug-19
I finally have a Shiras moose tag and will use it soon. It has been the hardest tag to acquire for me. The pressure to fill it is immense especially due to it being so rare to acquire. I think it has to be the hardest species to get a tag for. What do you all think.

28-Aug-19
Unicorn tags are extremely rare

28-Aug-19
Sheep for me.

28-Aug-19
What state loesshill? Good luck!

28-Aug-19
Colorado

28-Aug-19
Good luck! Don’t let the pressure to fill the tag ruin your enjoyment of a lifelong pursuit! Can’t wait to see the trophy photos!

28-Aug-19
Yeah Brotsky I am struggling with that. I am shaking just practicing shooting. I need to calm down a bit. I understand your point. ugh

28-Aug-19
I’d give my right nut for a Pennsylvania elk tag.

28-Aug-19
Montana sheep seems pretty hard to come by. Good luck with your moose hunt!

28-Aug-19
Best of Luck. Someone once told me the hardest tag to draw is the one you don't apply for.

28-Aug-19
Lots of tough tags out there to draw but it seems like the toughest one is always the one I am trying to draw.

28-Aug-19
I agree...A "south of the border" SHiras is a tough tag to acquire.

28-Aug-19
A Colorado moose tag has been my unicorn.

OP, what unit is your moose tag?

Matt

28-Aug-19
Near Walden

28-Aug-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Here’s a ‘near Walden’ moose.

28-Aug-19
The first moose I ever saw in Colorado was off County Road 27 in that area.

Good luck, my friend. I hope you find a whopper.

Matt

28-Aug-19
I drew a unit 101 MT moose tag a few years back with 6 points. The odds were about 1/10 of 1%. I had a great time, came close a couple of times but was unsuccessful.

If you include all species and all states, non-resident draws only, I’d speculate the Shiras moose is probably the hardest followed closely by Desert Bighorn Sheep.

28-Aug-19
Just remember that the opportunity to hunt them is unique and special, so soak in the entire experience. Anybody can go shoot a moose if they have enough time/money. Your tag is valuable because you get to hunt them on your terms, without a guide, and in a place that not everyone can hunt, so relish the opportunity to get to go on an adventure that few can have, actually killing a moose is just icing on the cake.

28-Aug-19
Congrats on the great tag Ned!

As to your question....by the numbers, Desert Bighorn ram is probably the least likely to draw species as a NR. The vast majority of bow-hunters wanting that species will have to buy the hunt.

Tule Elk would be right up there as well, with only one possible NR tag each year.

Shiras Moose....those who apply everywhere should draw at least once in a lifetime. By that I mean if you apply in every state raffle, and apply for lower-demand tags in every state offering bull tags, with Idaho being at the top of the list, most guys can draw eventually.

28-Aug-19

DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo
DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo
Enjoy the trip, don't get caught up in the rarity of the tag. You'll get it done!!

Maybe take Ron along, he was a good luck charm for me when I drew a random tag with a 0.3% chance in WY.

Good luck!!

28-Aug-19
A zone 1, 2 or 3 MA antlerless deer tag :) ha ha ha! Ok, I know that's a joke... Though I also know some guys who have gone 10-15+ years and managed not to get one in the lotto... so maybe it's only "half" a joke!

28-Aug-19
I applied for a CO resident Shiras tag for 25 yrs and never drew, but did get lucky after 12 yrs in WY with a NR tag. Also never drew UT NR in a dozen yrs of applications. Did not draw a resident desert bighorn in CO in who knows how many applications...about a dozen I'd guess....but drew NV NR the first yr I put in. Drew UT NR bison after a dozen yrs, but have yet draw a BC bison in 9 yrs of applications. Ned, good luck, get a dandy...CO has sure been producing big moose lately! Kurt

28-Aug-19
Colorado Bull Moose...

28-Aug-19

yooper89's embedded Photo
Another “near Walden” moose

28-Aug-19
Sheep... But a moose tag has eludes me as well..

28-Aug-19

Stoneman's embedded Photo
Stoneman's embedded Photo
The way the weighted point system "works" Co bull moose tags have to be the hardest to acquire.

front range bull

28-Aug-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

My 'near Walden' moose from 2009 - Good luck!

28-Aug-19
I agree with Sticksender and his observations now that I look at it.

That is a dandy moose cnelk!!

28-Aug-19
What a bruiser Brad

28-Aug-19

Yellowjacket's embedded Photo
Couple of near Walden moose from last weekend.
Yellowjacket's embedded Photo
Couple of near Walden moose from last weekend.

28-Aug-19
Take a deep breath and enjoy your hunt. I'd cut off a couple toes and a finger for that tag. You won't have a problem finding bulls. Good luck!

You just drew one of the absolute worst draw odds tags out there though dbhs is probably worse. Congrats!

28-Aug-19
Buffalo tag in WY. Good luck on the moose hunt!

28-Aug-19
I will add that I signed up on a ranch list years ago for what I believe is called a Ranching for Wildlife tag. My name came up for this year and although was not ready financially to do it, I could not turn it down. I have borrowed some money to do this hunt which adds to the pressure. I am grateful for the opportunity! Got to get on them before the damn wolves get em in the future. lol Honestly I am unsure which unit it will be in other than near Walden.

28-Aug-19
Silver Spur?

28-Aug-19
Spur Outfitters is what the contract says. I have heard others say Silver Spur

28-Aug-19
Best of luck but condolences to you for feeling pressure on a hunt. Hunting should not induce stress or pressure. Save that up for the things in life that really make a difference.

Just have fun and see what happens. You are a lucky man either way. If you come home without one is your life really any different?

28-Aug-19
It will be knowing what I have to do to be able to secure another opportunity.

28-Aug-19
I live for anticipation but just can't help but feel the pressure to be successful. It is a weird kind of fun in its own way.

28-Aug-19
Silver Spur has properties all over North Park with great moose habitat. You'll do fine.

28-Aug-19
Once the money is spent, it gone. You aren’t going to get it back!!

All you can do is enjoy the experience after that. That philosophy has gotten me through many difficult bowhunting situations. The only person that puts pressure on the situation is yourself. Relax and enjoy it.

You are a lucky man Nedly and will do well on this hunt!!

28-Aug-19

fubar racin's embedded Photo
fubar racin's embedded Photo
Another nice near Walden moose

28-Aug-19
Thanks for the words of encouragement! These pics are killing me by the way. lol Keep em coming.

28-Aug-19
We named him stripy because of the stripes in his velvet. He’s kind of an ornery cus bout ran us over last year he doesn’t like bugles lol but I like having pictures of him.

28-Aug-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
More near Walden moose

28-Aug-19
A raffle tag when one guy bought all the raffle tickets......... :-)

Sorry....... Too early ???

28-Aug-19
For a non-resident...I would vote for a Tule Elk...only one NR tag issued each year...If you have the $$$..landowner tags are negotiable.

28-Aug-19
Big Bear I thought you would have said a doe tag. Don't mean to pour salt Brother I feel your pain!

29-Aug-19
Minnesota moose..

29-Aug-19

RacksFurnSkulls's embedded Photo
2011 Brownie
RacksFurnSkulls's embedded Photo
2011 Brownie
Alaska Unimak Brown Bear, about a 3% chance to draw it....And I did the first time I drew.

02-Sep-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Some more near Walden moose

03-Sep-19
Oh man I cant wait now. lol Great pics!

03-Sep-19
Any limited entry tag that I apply for :-(

Good luck on your moose hunt Ned! When are you going?

03-Sep-19

Outdoordan's embedded Photo
Outdoordan's embedded Photo
Desert bighorn for sure. I tagged out on my shiras tag in Wyoming last year, only took me 16 years which is much sooner than what I expect for Desert BH. I am up to 20 points in 2 states with a less than 2.5% chance of drawing a tag.

04-Sep-19
Nice bull Dan! Very soon Troy.

04-Sep-19
I would have to say that elk tag in Pa. I know people that have over 20 points and still no tag.

04-Sep-19
Toughest tag I ever put in for was a Koyukuk NWR moose tag for the rut time period. Lucked up and drew it the first time. Been trying for Idaho Shiras a while but can’t seem to draw .

04-Sep-19
Non resident Arizona unit 23N archery bull tag. Even with 21 bonus points it's still less than 1% odds of drawing.

05-Sep-19
For the specie, it's harder to draw Tule and DBHS than a Shiras.

Even for a NR, there is a state where you'd have to have bad luck to not draw the Shiras specie in a lifetime if that's what you were after.

If you're looking for the hardest individual tag - that's sort of a silly thing to consider because it's impossible to calculate and even then, probably doesn't matter, but I bet a Zion DBHS tag would be pretty darn close to #1 for NRs.

GL Ned. I hope you have a great time and I absolutely understand your nervousness, but it's misplaced. You're a killer and you have a great tag. There's a big old moose out there munching on some of his last willow right now who has a date with an arrow of yours.

05-Sep-19
Have a great hunt Ned!

I never drew a Desert Sheep in Colorado, which is pretty limited.

My only goat tag took 17 years to draw, during which I drew 3 ram licenses.

I’m not going to miss the amazing hunting Colorado provided now that I’m here in Alaska.

05-Sep-19
Pigmy hippo ??

05-Sep-19
Polar Bear?

05-Sep-19
Bowsniper, the only draw for polar bear is if you an Inuit and live in one of the Hamlets where they are hunted. NR can buy a tag OTC but must be outfitted to hunt them.

05-Sep-19
The RMBHS tag you already drew in Arizona! Unfrickenbelievable!

Good Luck with the Moose amigo!

05-Sep-19
I read an article from 2015 on the odds of drawing a Michigan elk tag. I think the data was from 2014. There were roughly 200,000 chances purchased to obtain 30 bull tags.

That puts the odds of drawing a bull elk tag at about one in 6,666 for each chance. I think I have 13 chances now. You get a chance or “point” for every year you put in and don’t get drawn. I think the most points you can have right now is 16 since the lottery system first began.......Each chance has the same odds of winning. Which means a guy that applies for the very first time.... his chance has the same odds of being drawn as do each of my 13 points.

Most likely I will never get drawn.... The same goes for the vast majority of people who apply.

08-Oct-19

Ned mobile 's embedded Photo
Ned mobile 's embedded Photo
I tried to hold out for a whopper. Had a great hunt. My buddy Kyle killed a big boy. The horseshoe still works btw!

08-Oct-19
Congrats again Ned! You too Kyle!

08-Oct-19
Grats Ned!

08-Oct-19
Congrats again Ned and congrats again Kyle on completing your "quest"!

08-Oct-19
Congrats on getting 'er done!

08-Oct-19
Attaboy! Well done

08-Oct-19
Hell yeah Ned, congratulations.

08-Oct-19
Congrats again Ned!

08-Oct-19
Way to go Ned! Congratulations!!

08-Oct-19
So sexy!!! Congrats Ned

09-Oct-19
Desert bighorn sheep hands down.

09-Oct-19
Congrats on the Moose tag, Breaks sheep tag...until this year!!

10-Oct-19
Well done Ned, hope the whole experience matched that fantastic trophy. Congrats!

10-Oct-19
Now that is excellent. Well done.

• Sitka Gear