T Mac 13-Sep-19
Boreal 13-Sep-19
SoDakSooner 13-Sep-19
timex 14-Sep-19
tradmt 15-Sep-19
wild1 15-Sep-19
bad karma 16-Sep-19
12-Sep-19
It’s a Jeep, they always had drive shaft failures (u-joints). That’s what happens when you put big wheels on small running gear. Good luck to the recall people. Get it done before it blows through the floorboard

12-Sep-19

12-Sep-19
Yep, jeep is under built, under powered, and not very reliable! I have owned several and they all sucked in some way! But man I love them!

12-Sep-19
It's amazing that jeep has the look but the mechanicals are lacking, too bad.

12-Sep-19
Did anybody bother to read the article before spouting off?

12-Sep-19
I didn't read the article. Nor will I. Its a jeep. Its going to break. That is a given.

12-Sep-19
They’ve gone to poop since the last CJ model rolled off the line

12-Sep-19

12-Sep-19
"Cars.com reports that the action affects approximately 3,400 Gladiators that were delivered without grease in their monoblock joints, which could seize and cause the rear driveshaft to fracture and separate...About five percent of the recalled trucks are suspected to be missing the grease."

There, so you all don't have to read the article...definitely sounds like a design issue...or not

12-Sep-19
Bigswivle. Long before that :)

12-Sep-19
Surfbow, they didn’t apply grease, which could cause it to seize. Not sure if that’s a design flaw or a doh! Moment...

12-Sep-19
Jeeps ain’t ever turned my crank....

12-Sep-19
"Not sure if that’s a design flaw or a doh! Moment..."

Sounds more like a union moment. I assure you, you can track that back thru the assembly process and see who the responsible party(s) were for not greasing the joints. Best part, continues down thru the assembly line and the proceeding workers all saying "Not my job".

12-Sep-19
Where is Robb? Maybe on the side of a highway somewhere thumbing a ride?

12-Sep-19
Maybe missing his old pickup?

13-Sep-19
Someone in QA should have caught that before any of the vehicles rolled out. Someone was getting paid big bucks to make sure things like that get identified and corrected ASAP.

13-Sep-19
Maybe its a retro feature. I had a 72 and 84 CJ as a kid and did my share of U Joints (and a long list of other stuff). That said, cruising around all summer with the top off and exploring the mountains was a lot of fun in them.

13-Sep-19
Haha!!

Wasn't there a song ~~ Sweet Hitch-a-Hiker.....? ha

Nah, I'm good thanks for axin'

Mine is a 2020 build-------->

Thanks for thinking of me JTV, 2 threads and a PM, your a good man

Good luck, Robb

13-Sep-19
The universals are NOT greased at the Gladiator assembly plant in Toledo. The drive shafts come pre-assembled from a supplier.

I'm kinda an insider... I'd send a pic but we have this corporate privacy policy thingy in place :-),

13-Sep-19
They are ugly!

13-Sep-19
And this ha WHAT to do with archery? Get a Toyota.

13-Sep-19
Heep! Stay away!

13-Sep-19

Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo
Yeah, the Tacomas are a much better option. Especially with the collapsible frames.

13-Sep-19
Like Fuzz said, it's a supplier issue. Not something that happens in final assembly. That said, my jeep has been trouble free, except for the issues I have had with it...

14-Sep-19
back in the 80s I had a cj5 that had lockers front & rear & the 258 inline & that little thing could go almost anywhere up in the mountain but was dangerous on the road

15-Sep-19
The problem with Jeep is that they are part of Chrysler.

I have a 96 Cherokee, love it, but damn Chrysler does stupid stuff.

15-Sep-19
If Jeeps were reliable and dependable, they'd be called Toyotas.

16-Sep-19
My experience with Jeeps since 1994: 94 Cherokee: Very few problems, traded in at 150k. 99 Cherokee: Not even a warranty return. 98 Grand Cherokee 1: Totaled after 2 months ownership while parked. Hit by a drunk driver on Halloween. 98 Grand Cherokee 2: Traded in after 150k, should have kept it. 99 Grand Cherokee: Bought in 2011 with 48k. Now at 112k, I finally made it to $2000 in non-wear item repairs after eight years. It now has new shocks and tires, and drives very well. I'd take it to West Virginia tomorrow without worry.

My experience with Jeeps has been darn good.

• Sitka Gear