HH 28-Sep-19
Woods Walker 28-Sep-19
GF 28-Sep-19
Woods Walker 28-Sep-19
HH 29-Sep-19
26-Sep-19
Yikes. My 20 acres is in Luce County.

27-Sep-19
So wolf didn’t actually attack him . Close but no cigar. Need more evidence to claim first attack. Hyped headline

27-Sep-19
If a wolf grabbed my dog, I'd shoot him no questions asked. Its the old west coming all over again. Wolves need to be taught to fear man.

27-Sep-19
So you have to be bitten to be attacked? Not so sure that’s a reasonable way to look at it.

27-Sep-19
Huntcell: Attack occurred, confirmed by the DNR.

27-Sep-19
That’s not an attack. A human has to be attacked for it to be an attack.

27-Sep-19
The wolf killed a domestic dog in a yard and then charged.

Yes, that was an attack.

27-Sep-19
Prevention is the best medicine.

27-Sep-19
One has to wonder about young kids at the bus stop.

27-Sep-19
Any link to the story?

27-Sep-19
'the only good wolf, is a dead wolf' LOL, here we go again! They have their place but they need to be hunted like anything else. Just like the griz that are being given a free pass do. Otherwise they will attack - no fear of man, they will attack.

27-Sep-19
I could not find a source for that wolf attack.

Here is some other wolf news.....

Another attempt to de-list the wolf in the Great Lakes area. https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4680550-Another-bill-introduced-to-delist-wolves

One of the Isle Royal wolves already died. https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2019/09/four-more-wolves-moved-isle-royale-one-dies-shortly-thereafter

27-Sep-19
Wild. We saw a wolf up there while driving through, big animals!

27-Sep-19
And meanwhile........

400 miles south in he city of Detroit alone they get 460-500 domestic dog bits annually. Also maulings and deaths. Mostly pit bulls. Send the mangy pits up to fight it out with the wolves.

27-Sep-19
I read the story. It goes like this:

2 Beagles in yard barking.

Guy looks outside to see what's going on and a wolf runs up, grabs a dog and runs off into the bush.

Guy grabs shotgun and takes off in pursuit of wolf hoping to save his dog.

He comes up on the wolf w the dog pinned to the ground. He fires a shot into the air hoping to scare it away from his dog.

Wolf takes off, then sees the guy and makes a b-line right for him. The guy shoots/kills the wolf at less than 10 feet. He drops gun and goes to check on dog. Turns out the dogs heavy collar saved him but he was torn up pretty bad.

MDNR investigates and collaborates the guys story that it was self defense.

The End.

27-Sep-19
Old west is coming back?

Wherehave I heard this?

Day of the gun.....

KH

27-Sep-19
The story is in the most recent Michigan Outdoor News. A bi-weekly publication. Tried finding the story and a link online but no dice.

27-Sep-19
Not a wolf lover by any means have one at the taxidermist right now and I believe Michigan ought to have a 20 pack / 250 animal limit for the UP and the excess should be an open quota by any manner of take until that occurs. That being said the man interjected himself in a predator prey situation the opportunity for him to have a close encounter went up exponentially.

To imply it was the first ATTACKED BY A WOLF on a human in Michigan is a bit dramatic headlining.

Not like he got “attacked” while going to the mailbox at the end of driveway,

At least he wouldn’t be charged and fined $10,000 for killing an incorrectly classified endangered species.

That is actually quite abundant in numerous countries.

27-Sep-19
Fuzz and Hunt, good posts - all of 'em.

Couple observations: 'specie' is not a word... :) Hedge, it never left, esp. in Detroit. Bou', I'd say send the wolves to Detroit to take out the pits instead.

My gut feeling: If wolves adapt like coyotes do, then we are going to have an open season on them, for sure. Just a matter of a couple decades.

27-Sep-19
“specie “actually is a word not the one I wanted. /?sp?SH?,?sp?s?/ money in the form of coins rather than notes.

The intended correct word ‘species’ “is both the singular and plural form “.

Suffered another attack on my spelling!

27-Sep-19
“wolf comes right at him, owner kills wolf at 8 steps with shotgun...... ”

My rule of thumb: if I have to change my shorts afterward, it was an Attack. ;)

Seriously - when a large predator approaches ANYONE or ANYTHING in an aggressive or manner, that’s an Attack. If it approaches in a Stealthy manner, that’s a Stalk, which is (Duh) a prelude to an attack.

Anybody see the surveillance cam footage of the coyote that gave chase to a 5-year-Old girl who had gone out to check the mailbox?

You can say that wasn’t an all-out “attack”, but it sure as hell was an exploratory. And frankly, if it had been my kid, there would be absolutely NO parsing of words...

27-Sep-19
Good report Fuzz. Concise and to the point. You get an A. The dog gets saved, the wolf gets dead ! The end !

GF, you get honorable mention !

27-Sep-19
I’m pretty sure that several houndsmen have had hounds killed by wolves in the U.P. While they were bear hunting in recent years. It would be a pretty horrific sight for a houndsman to locate one of his dogs half eaten.

27-Sep-19
Don't know how it went down but, I wouldn't have waited on it to kill my dog and, advance towards me before killing it.

For the life of me, I simply will never understand why people let government dictate their livelihood and safety. Rule of order is great. However, rules of bliss ignorance and agenda deserve zero abidance by folks that stand in the harm they create.

27-Sep-19
It appears I should have read the whole thread before commenting. Glad the dog survived.

27-Sep-19
Hunt, sorry, uninfentionai attack, it was more of a stalk... :) GF, no but I saw the one where the cat tore into the dog that was attacking the boy in the driveway and chased it off him. Very cool! JVT you're over the top I-tuff guy.

28-Sep-19
I receive the publication that this story was published in and read it word for word. There is no hyperbole or exaggeration in this story.

A man had his 40 lb. beagle/hound taken from his back yard by a wolf. He stated in his report to the Conservation Officers who investigated the scene that he keeps a loaded shotgun by his back door and when he seen the wolf swipe his dog and carry it off into the woods he grabbed the shotgun and ran in the direction he last seen the wolf traveling.

After approx. 100 yards he came upon the wolf who had the dog pinned against a tree stump trying to kill it by tearing its throat out. He fired a shot in the direction the wolf was to distract it so that he could possibly have the chance to grab his dog.

The wolf let go of the dog and began to make a circle around the scene when he noticed the man and charged. At approx. 10 feet he fired one shot killing the wolf instantly. He then dropped the gun and ran to his dog who was alive but unconscious.

The man then rushed his dog to the local vet where its wounds were treated. The owner stated that if it were not for the heavy metal collar the dog was wearing it would be dead.

28-Sep-19
When you come into MY yard & do "anything" aggressive, you/it has made the first move & retaliation will definitely occur.

28-Sep-19
Wolves 100% have their place but it sure as heck isn’t in the lower 48.

28-Sep-19
It is only a matter of time we become preys to wolves again. Will it be rare? Yes, just like it is for black bears but it still can happen. Can't understand why some people elevate the wolf above other large predators.

28-Sep-19
Because the Wolf is romanticized on the boob tube at least several times an hour.

KH

28-Sep-19
What if it wasn't a wolf but a dog (or a human) who was identifying as a wolf on that day? Who are we to assign species?

28-Sep-19
ROFLMAO, Woods!

28-Sep-19
;-)

29-Sep-19
left coast wolves

"First there was one was one in the wolf pack, then they brought Doug home and there was two in the wolf pack and then 6 months ago Doug introduced me to you guys, and now I know for sure I just added two more guys to the wolf pack. Four of us wolves running around the desert of Las Vegas looking for cocaine and strippers". HO

KH

• Sitka Gear