darralld 30-Sep-19
t-roy 30-Sep-19
goyt 01-Oct-19
pav 01-Oct-19
darralld 01-Oct-19
35-Acre 01-Oct-19
darralld 01-Oct-19
30-Sep-19
Went to the hunting spot yesterday to check on things. Last time I was up was in June & my clover plot looked awesome. Yesterday it was dead. Any suggestions on what I can plant in the next couple weeks that will still grow in time to be good in late season? I'm in Oklahoma. Thanks

30-Sep-19
Rye grain, oats, and buckwheat is a good combo for late planting or for poor soil. I've never planted this late though normally have it in by the first 2 weeks of September. Put mine in on the 9th and they're doing great with all the recent rain.

30-Sep-19
Would like to put out something that I can just broadcast & let the rain do the work. Since it's all dead I'll just mow it real short.

30-Sep-19
Any cereal grain should still do good for you in Oklahoma if you get some moisture. My buddy in NW Oklahoma is planting some his winter rye today (to run his cattle on this winter). Generally they like to get it in 2-3 weeks earlier than this, but it’s been extremely dry. You will, most likely, still get plenty of warm enough weather to see some good growth on it, as long as you get some rain.

01-Oct-19
I agree with the cereal rye.

01-Oct-19
Ditto....hope to be planting winter rye this weekend in Indiana.

01-Oct-19
Thanks for the info. I'll try some cereal rye & see what happens.

01-Oct-19
Winter Rye or Winter Wheat. I am pretty sure that Buckwheat requires warm soils and gets killed off at the first frost.

If you have an entirely dead field I would wonder why (?). Did it get sprayed? Or was it drought? Or did weeds just take over and a mowing is needed?

01-Oct-19
My only guess is that when I sprayed the clover in the spring it got to hot & burned it. I sprayed another food plot the same day that is more shaded & it's fine. We have had a wet summer. So I know it's not drought. I planted winter wheat last year & they really didn't hit it that well.

• Sitka Gear