mparks 21-Oct-19
Bear Track 22-Oct-19
coelker 22-Oct-19
onX Hunt 23-Oct-19
onX Hunt 23-Oct-19
midwest 23-Oct-19
Brotsky 23-Oct-19
16-Oct-19
From waypoints to trails, for safety or just showing where camp is, there are hundreds of reasons to share markups in the onX Hunt app. But we want to hear WHY you share markups or HOW sharing a markup has helped you on a hunt. Let us know in this thread and we'll be picking 3 of our favorite answers to receive an Elite membership (all 50 states) free for 3 years!

16-Oct-19
From waypoints to trails, for safety or just showing where camp is, there are hundreds of reasons to share markups in the onX Hunt app. But we want to hear WHY you share markups or HOW sharing a markup has helped you on a hunt. Let us know in this thread and we'll be picking 3 of our favorite answers to receive an Elite membership (all 50 states) free for 3 years!

16-Oct-19
We share markups so we can look over years past and patterns start developing. I have a select few buddies that we share points with and I like watching how an area develops with new bedding, wallows, etc... I also love attaching a picture to each kill markup, it allows me to "re-live" that hunt every time I quick look at it, even if it's just for quick second as I decide where a bull is bugling across a canyon. With the option of changing colors on markups it really makes previous kills pop, which I like.

I've also used it for deer hunting. I wasn't going to go late season whitetail hunting but still needed some does killed. I sent an easy markup to a buddy who still wanted to hunt who was able to navigate to a stand almost a mile off the road without having ever set foot on the piece of property before. No need to explain down to the detail where it was at, quick text and he was there!

16-Oct-19
I’ve had friends share waypoints/tracks with me because Onx dumped all of mine

16-Oct-19
^^ sounds like cnelk just earned 3 years free

16-Oct-19
We take a lot of kids and disabled hunters out. Some of it private land, some of it public. We share trails and waypoints to aid in access. Lots of times scouting public I find a great spot to hunt but it's a mother trucker to get to. I send the points to my buddies and we all start trying different ways in. Once one of us finds a path, we share the trail with the group.

16-Oct-19

cnelk's Link
I’m not looking to win anything. But we all could be winners if Onx reads And addresses the issues in the informative link I’ve attached

16-Oct-19
I like to share markups where I want other hunters (especially Bowsiters looking for info) to go so they will push elk down close to the road where I can kill them.

16-Oct-19
I share for safety reasons, Incase of medical emergency etc.. even when deer hunting locally I can share with a buddy who is still at work to rub it in a bit.

Years ago I had a buddy fall from a stand and nobody knew what part of a large farm he was hunting. It took the dogs to find him and a helicopter to get him out. He could have been out in minutes instead of hours if he had the capability to let someone know his location.

16-Oct-19
MNhunter, thats exactly why I carry an Inreach everywhere I go, all year round. Hit that little SOS button and help is on the way to my exact location

16-Oct-19
LOL! Never trust ANYTHING that depends on a battery/computer chip.

17-Oct-19
Peace of mind for myself and family...Being by myself on hunts most of the time, they at least have idea of the area I'll be in...

17-Oct-19
Very easy way to let someone know where you are for safety reasons.

17-Oct-19
I stole cnelks waypoints and still couldn't kill an elk.

17-Oct-19
@cnelk We're more than happy to troubleshoot any issues you are having. Please give us a call at 406-540-1600 so we can gather more information and get you up and running.

17-Oct-19
@onx - Im up and running. Its a good thing I didnt have cell service that last week of Sept because I didnt know what I wouldve called you....

18-Oct-19
Great stories so far! We'll be taking stories through the weekend and pick winners at the beginning of next week.

18-Oct-19
New onx user and i found sharing pins was helpful. Hope to do some homework over the winter in prep for next year.

19-Oct-19
I share waypoints to keep my family mind at piece , my brother who cannot hunt with me a way of being part of the hunt and to my hunting buddies - I transfer knowledge so they to can be successful.

Great product that has taken my scouting and land navigation to the next level!

19-Oct-19
OnX has been helpful to me in the ways I am able to share locations with others for rendezvous points for packouts or for safety purposes along with the obvious points of interest in helping others with draw tag hunt areas. This year I drew a tag and was able to utlize waypoints provided by others that have hunted the area for campsites and areas that they had encountered animals. I ended up killing a 6x6 in another area but now will easily be able to share that with the individuals that helped me.

Additionally, I did have issues with the app losing my way points but after a quick email to OnX and a quick reload of the app I was back in business.

19-Oct-19
First time OnX user here. I just got back from a Montana antelope rifle hunt. Seven people went with six hunting. We had three trucks and each went in different directions. The goats I had pre-scouted on the 8th and 9th were not there on the 12th after the snow storm passed thru and other hunters set up camp right where they could be seen for miles around by anyone or anything....including the goats I had scouted. The brother texted me an OnX way-point where he had seen some goats closer back to camp so that helped in strategy planning for that day. Four days later I shot a goat 1.95 miles back in from the road. I was marking way-points/routes on the way back to the truck to get the cart to (1) identify the easiest and safest way to cart out the goat across ridges/ravines and (2) to help make sure I stayed on BLM land while navigating a dog-leg in the public land/private land borderline area.

Some observations as a first time user. I don't know if it is normal but the OnX app uses alot of battery power on my cell phone. Fortunately I had a small power supply that can charge the phone a few times while in the field if I needed it. Is there a way reduce the app's power usage? The second thought is my 2019 F-150 has the touchscreen voice nav. It would be nice if OnX could somehow be incorporated into a vehicle's nav system. That would do a few things. One is make it easier to navigate hands-free to the public/private spot you're going to and the second is save your device's power for field use. If OnX likes that idea and works a deal with the automaker's to do that in the near future, I'll give you my address to send the royalty checks. :-)

21-Oct-19
I have no idea what this thread is even about?

21-Oct-19

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Sharing way points was a key component to my daughter's successful Black Hills elk hunt. The Black Hills has too large a road network IMO. I used sharing way points extensively with my dad to pin point spots on the Forest service roads where he could pick us up. This allowed my daughter and I to maximize our efficiency in hunting and calling ridge networks without having to backtrack to our vehicle. Sharing the mark-ups essentially cut half the walking distance off for us daily allowing us to double the ground we could cover. My dad could drive to the pin I would drop on the map and we would use OnX to navigate the topography to the that pin from a drop off point. I set up the pins and the drop off points to make best use of the terrain, wind direction, and cover to allow us to be as successful as possible by covering ground and finding elk.

21-Oct-19
Shared waypoints via OnX allowed my buddies and I to combine our e-scouting efforts prior to an elk hunt this fall. When we all arrived in camp, we were already on the same page in terms of trailheads and glassing knobs.

One improvement that would be helpful for iPhone users is to allow sharing of waypoints over AirDrop for those times when no cell service is available. Would have been nice on this hunt while discussing options around the campfire in the evenings.

22-Oct-19
I'd like to participate but OnX does not work in Canada. I used it in Montana and was amazed though. Is our market too small here?

22-Oct-19
To see if my buddy is dumb enough to hike into a certain spot? Or to get someone to push a canyon I am too lazy to hike?

Actually in the last few days I used points to outline areas of deer concentration, but not necessarily specific points. .

23-Oct-19
Thanks for participating everyone. Congrats to @Brotsky @grossklw and @nativeokie You all won! Send us a message and we'll get you set up.

23-Oct-19
Thanks for participating everyone. Congrats to @Brotsky @grossklw and @nativeokie You all won! Send us a message and we'll get you set up.

23-Oct-19
Congrats guys!

23-Oct-19
Awesome!! Thanks for the opportunity OnX! Message sent.

• Sitka Gear