Rickm 25-Oct-19
Annony Mouse 26-Oct-19
ki-ke 27-Oct-19
Scar Finga 27-Oct-19
Pat Lefemine 27-Oct-19
CurveBow 27-Oct-19
woodsman 30-Oct-19
21-Oct-19
I’ve got an appointment tomorrow for a lasik consultation. I wanted to get this done before my Kansas and Iowa hunts. Any of you guys have the procedure? Everyone I’ve spoken to At work say it’s the best thing they’ve had done. But they don’t Bowhunt. Interested to hear from hunters. Thanks

21-Oct-19
You'll be just fine. My friend had LASIK last week and two days later he was along with me while hunting mountain goats. No issues at all initially except maybe driving at night, which can be a problem this time of year in Alaska. You'll be fine in short order and ready for Kansas deer by the time it rolls around!

Wife had LASIK several years ago, she bowhunts and doesn't have any issues.

21-Oct-19
I had it done and it’s been great while it lasted. But it won’t help you for bow hunting.

When you have it done you need to choose distance or reading for eye correction. If you do distance your pins will be fuzzy, if you do close your distant vision will be fuzzy.

They had glasses I wore because they said they can do one eye for distance and the other for close up. But while wearing the glasses I couldn’t tolerate them and wanted to keep removing them.

Now this was about 15 years ago. Things could have changed with technology. But if your doing it for hunting it’s not a solution for aging eyes.

21-Oct-19
My doc explained that it doesn't "stop" visual deterioration as we age, only corrects it at that point in our lives. Several I know needed corrective lenses a few years after getting lasik. My vision is corrected to 20/15 now with glasses, so I figure if I'm likely to need glasses later anyway, might as well stick with what works well now.

21-Oct-19
YES! Had mine done by the low bidder in a dilapidated strip mall in Milwaukee in 2006. No contacts or glasses to mess with while hoofing up the mountain, priceless.

21-Oct-19
No, but my brother in-law has had it done and says " I will have that done every year if I have to it is awesome". Not sure it is the exact procedure you are having done, but he was/is a fan.

oz

21-Oct-19
Best $ I’ve ever spent. I had it done for distance and have no problem with my pins. My procedure was done 17 years ago!

21-Oct-19
I had it done about 10 years ago now. I had it done in the spring though so can't answer to having it done so close to your trip to Kansas and Iowa. I did have trouble in low light for a couple of months before everything settled. Never had a problem hunting as of yet.

21-Oct-19
I had it done 3 weeks ago, best money I have spent. I was severely near sighted and now corrected to 20/15. It actually improved my dusk/night vision, just slight dryness of the eyes for a couple of weeks. I still use the lubricating drops when needed. I could have been hunting the day after the surgery if I wanted, you will be fine for your upcoming hunts. Like mentioned earlier, it doesn't stop natural aging and the possibility of needing readers down the road.

21-Oct-19
Done 5 years ago and money very well spent. As long as you are a good candidate and the risk is low, should be fine. I have had zero problems.

21-Oct-19
They will probably tell you to take it easy for the first few weeks. Best money I ever spent. Everyone will need readers eventually though. Im 3 years out.

21-Oct-19
I had mine done in 2003. I had the blended version where my left (non-dominant) eye was corrected for -1 (touch nearsighted) and my right eye was supposed to be plano (0 diopter). I ended up with a touch of farsightedness in my dominant eye (+1) - could see great at distance but not so good for the first six feet.

Over the last 16 years my eyes have changed a little with my left eye now at +.5 diopter (slightly farsighted) and my right (dominant) eye at +1.25. I can get by and hunt without glasses for most things but they do make my vision crisper at distance. I need reading glasses for very fine print.

I was working with ophthalmologists for many years prior to getting lasik and would not have had any of the previous refractive procedures but having lasik was one of the best things I've done.

21-Oct-19
Have heard you can only do it once.

21-Oct-19
I’m 61 , a few years ago I had lens implants. Pat, at our age I think they do implants and not lasik. But, I’m not 100% sure.

The reason I’m posting is.... I had the “ blended” procedure. One eye done at 14” for reading and one done for long distance. I am very satisfied.

BUT, I would have been better served measuring the distance from my peep to my sight and reading my books at that distance. Since my pins are still blurry. No problem really as I’m leaning toward my recurve more these days.

Good luck to you with this procedure and good luck this Hunting season.

21-Oct-19
I had it done four years ago. I could see better with my glasses at great distances than I can with my new eyes, but everything out to say 200 yards is great. I also have halos on ALL lights at night. I was told this would improve but it hasn't...however, I have gotten used to it. My cousin had complications and now has to wear goggles to prevent painful dry eyes everyday. My brother says he might not have done it if he had known how painful it was going to be.

They don't all go perfectly. That being said, i'd do it again.

21-Oct-19
Wes Atkinson told me one time he got it Pat. My other co-workers had a time with their eyes drying out post-procedure and I've heard the correction doesn't last forever.

21-Oct-19
Couldn't do lasik due to a scar on one eye. Doc said it wouldn't heal right, but that I could do cataract surgery as it take an incision in a different spot. 8 years later, I had the start of cataracts and insurance would take care of most of it. I had to pay an additional $4k for upgraded lenses so that I would have corrected vision far and close up. Well, I had it done, and worked very well. Lasik would have been my first choice, but, having not to use glasses is excellent. I'm 5-6 weeks with the corrected vision. Best wishes.

21-Oct-19
My only regret was that I didn't do it sooner. I had it done in 2006 mainly because the pain of contacts while elk hunting back country. In addition, my vision has stayed much better than 20/20. Immediately after surgery, I got to about 20/10, then when 100% healed I was at 20/16. And it is pretty nice to wake up in the morning and be able to see clearly without throwing glasses on.

21-Oct-19
I had Lasik in 2005 - Was hunting with my son in CT - the temperatures were about freezing and there was a light rain. I couldn't keep my glasses from fogging and couldn't see without my glasses. After Lasik, I was pleased to be able to have 20/20 vision! Now 19 year later I have to have glasses to see close-up but the payback is worth it. No glasses for 19 years!

21-Oct-19
Charlie,I wore glasses for 35 years from the age of 11.I had Lasik at age 46,and it was the best thing I ever did.Right eye was 20/1200,left eye was 20/800,before surgery,20/20 after surgery,that was 22 years ago.I wear walmart readers,as I had both eyes done for distance.Good luck,Cliff

21-Oct-19
I don’t know a person that regrets getting Lasik, and I know many that have. But one close friend had a lot of pain in his eyes for a day or two. He also does not regret doing it.

21-Oct-19
I had it done many many years ago in the 90's I believe am right at 20/20 if I had to do it over again I would ask them to shot for 20/15 as that is what I had with contacts. Got up the morning after the surgery and threw all my glasses and contact away. They told me that everyone eventually needs reading glasses and after Lasik you most likely will need them sooner rather that later. I do not mind wearing readers as long as I do not have to wear anything for hunting.

I love it but I would recommend doing it after your Kansas hunt, it is always best to give yourself plenty of time to heal and why would you want to take the chance on possible problems right before a big hunt.

21-Oct-19
Never spent my $$ so wisly

21-Oct-19
is there an age "cut off" where it is not a real benefit? I will be 39 in a couple months and have worn glasses/contacts for 25 years and would love to be free of them!

Craig

21-Oct-19
Got mine done 5 years ago. Honestly right up there with the best 3k I’ve ever spent. The freedom it provides is hard to realize until you have it.

21-Oct-19
Best $3k I’ve ever spent!

—Jim

21-Oct-19
I'm not as old as Pat, I'll be 56 in November. I have been considering Lasik for years and have also scheduled a consult for next week. Would appreciate hearing from folks that have had the procedure at this advanced age...

So the big question... Almost everyone that has posted here sounds like they did it with archery as their primary consideration! Mine for sure. I've been nearsighted and worn specs since 6th grade. I have an astig. I don't mind the thought of reading glasses. I'm not concerned about my peep being blurry, as when I am focusing on my pins the peep is kinda blurred anyway. I feel like that is normal. I do seem to have developed a difficulty in focusing on pins and target simultaneously. Talk about why the blended correction, rather than both corrected for distance.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

21-Oct-19
I was 51 when I had it done. I have astigmatism - not a problem.

There are an estimated 10 million people in the US that have had this done. The lasers and procedures have been refined continuously and outcomes have continued to improve over the past 20 years.

21-Oct-19
Had it done 10 years ago. Did mono vision with the left eye close and right eye for distance. LOVE it! I have crested 60 and do not need cheaters. Absolutely hated glasses and the outdoors. Best 3K ever spent.

21-Oct-19
Ki-ke, I’m 54

21-Oct-19
I’m all for it if insurance would cover it. Otherwise, BCBS can continue to pay for my eye exams and contacts.

21-Oct-19
It changed my sons dominant eye

21-Oct-19
I had mine done over twenty years ago, I was sick on glasses and contacts - best decision I ever made! Since I was one of the early patients, I paid a premium - 4k total for both eyes, but it was worth every penny to me. I haven't had any negative side-effects, it's been all good!

21-Oct-19
Best money I spent.. I had to have the prk procedure which was hell for two days but after that I was great... vision greatly improved.

21-Oct-19
It's worth the money. I had mine done a few years back before a goat hunt. Had to have my left eye touched up a few months later but no problems since. My right eye isnt perfect (non dominant eye) but my eye doc told me if I can leave it alone, it will help with reading as my eyes age. As a caution for the first few weeks you really need to be careful not to hit your eye with any sticks / twigs or anything like it for a few weeks. It could disrupt the healing flap.

22-Oct-19
I had cataract surgery last year at 52. My eyes were bad at 20/1000 and 20/800 but couldn’t be corrected to better than 20/80. After surgery the doc said I would need lasik in my right eye or wear a single contact because it couldn’t be corrected to 20/20 because of severe astigmatism. 6 weeks after cataract surgery I had the 5 second laser procedure. The laser was much more painful and irritation lasted a few days. I didn’t think it helped at first but now I have 20/15 vision in both eyes probably closer to 20/12. I can now see leaves on trees that I didn’t know were trees before.

I also coach HS baseball and it’s amazing to be able to see the laces on a ball as it leaves a pitchers arm, never thought that was possible. My eyes were far outside the norm but everything went very well. No dryness or halos whatsoever.

22-Oct-19
Pat let us know how you make out and what you decide to do

22-Oct-19
Many encouraging results...Thanks for the input!

"Ki-ke, I’m 54"........Pat, thats it???!! ;^ )

22-Oct-19
I had LASIK in the 90's. After several enhancements I still ended up wearing glasses. My vision constantly changed. Halos at night and persistent dry eyes even now. Had I known then what I know now there is no way I would do it.

22-Oct-19
like Bill o, I to had implants done 2 yrs ago... I am pushing 62 and have vision like back in my 30's... need light scrip for reading.

22-Oct-19
Did it 20 years ago and I am still 20/20 in right and 20/15 in left. Best money I ever spent on myself.

Sounds like results vary a bit so best of luck to anyone having it done.

22-Oct-19
My wife did it 6 years ago . Amazing results . Money well spent . Good luck.

22-Oct-19
I’m here now for the consultation. Will let you know how it goes.

22-Oct-19
Enter into this with REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS. This is the number one reason for unhappy patients

22-Oct-19
For you guys who still need reading glasses, were you nearsighted or far sighted before the procedure? My close vision is great, but my distance vision without glasses is 20/350.

22-Oct-19
I was mostly nearsighted, but needed the procedure because my Cataracts were getting so bad... also had an astigmatism in my right I which needed correcting. The doctor said best result possible, he was very pleased... whenever I go for an exam I say great to See you doc! ;o)

22-Oct-19
I did it several years ago. Best decision for an outdoorsman in my mind. Made life a lot easier.

22-Oct-19
Jaquomo, I was nearsighted before lasik.

22-Oct-19
So my prescription is pretty mild. Dominant eye is 20/50. I’m correcting for distance only in both eyes. No mono vision option due to my hunting. 3300 all in. Scheduled for Thursday morning.

22-Oct-19
Good luck.

22-Oct-19
Did it in 2003, best then ever . Still 20/20 at 61 years old. Research your doctor, attend any seminars by him our others.

22-Oct-19
Did it around 2000. It's been great. I'm a little more light sensitive in bright sunshine and glare while driving at night. I was 20-40 with an astigmatism prior to surgery so that was apparently a pretty easy fix.

When I turned 40, doc prescribed reading glasses that I only need for long days staring at the computer at work. Still going strong at 45.

22-Oct-19
I had it done 8 years ago and it is way better than glasses or contacts for bow hunting. Curious why your doc recommended against monovision for hunting? I only had my dominant eye done because at the time I could see distance with contacts or close up without contacts.

22-Oct-19
Good luck Pat!

22-Oct-19
There are some drawbacks to Lasik. I have a friend that found out too late that he had some sort of allergy to the laser which damaged his optic nerves. He is now legally blind. It's interesting that after I found this out, I never remembered my doctor telling me about this kind of reaction to laser eye surgery. I'm glad I wasn't the 1 in 1000 that had that type of reaction. I also have a sister that had lasik and she has to drive with the interior light on at night or she sees halos around lights.

22-Oct-19
I'm going on 21 yrs ago in Dec. and I'm 56. My distance vision is still 20:20, but I've lost my reading vision. They say I'm on my natural progression, so I'll be in readers from here on out for reading and computers. My kids give me crap about how big the text is on my phone...

I still consider it one of the best decisions I ever made. Especially for hunting.

BTW, The Ophthalmologist who did my lasik was one of the inventors of the procedure. Needless to say, he retired early and living easy!!!

22-Oct-19
I've been wearing contacts since about 1978. Can read up close without my contacts in but need cheaters when I'm wearing contacts. Been wanting Lasik for some time now. Haven't been able to do it due to kids spending all my money. Good luck Pat.

22-Oct-19
I've been considering it for years. My Ophthalmologist told me that it'd affect my night vision for 3 months afterwards, which is why I've been trying to schedule it in February - which is why I haven't gotten it done.

You might want to ask about night vision Pat. It's that time of year where you need it.

22-Oct-19
I had it done in 2007 when i was in the service, only complaint I have is that sometimes when I wake up my eyes are dry and hurt a bit but usually some drops before bed takes care of it.

22-Oct-19
Ken, the monovision affects depth perception which we absolutely need for hunting. The doc strongly advised against it due to that issue alone. Apparently if monovision will Disqualify your CDL because of the depth issue. No go on that.

On the night vision two docs told me the complete opposite - noticeable improvement given my astigmatisms. Hopefully they’re right.

I’m committed to it now. It’s happening Thursday morning. So I have to stop reading this thread with all the one-off horror stories. LOL!

22-Oct-19
Enter into this with REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS. This is the number one reason for unhappy patients

22-Oct-19
Looking forward to the report Pat!!

22-Oct-19
Good luck Pat getting old ain’t for sissies Lewis

22-Oct-19
I'm 58. Just had lens replacement surgery in both eyes. Right eye, dominant eye, on 9/10. That was for distance. Left eye on 9/24 for more close up. It sucked for a couple days as it seemed like I was walking in a fun house while my brain adjusted. Now perfect. I used to wear 300 cheaters just to see the computer screen now nothing. Like others have said, not cheap but I should have had it done years ago.

22-Oct-19
Only night vision issues I had was headlights were a bit irritating especially on rainy nights. Lasted a month or two. Other than that low light vision improved dramatically. First time you wake up and can read the clock across the room without reaching for your glasses is priceless!! Good luck.

22-Oct-19
I had lasik back in ‘03. Had the occasional floater for a few months but no biggie. One of the best things I did for my hunting because dealing with contacts or foggy glasses sucks. Worse is sweat drops while you’re hands are full of gear, etc. while hiking.

Bummer, though, the correction wasn’t as permanent as sold and I am not a candidate for a repeat.

22-Oct-19
Pat's made his decision but I'll add my 2 cents worth for anybody else reading this thread.

A few years ago (I'm 62 now) I went with mono vision contacts rather than do Lasik. Definitely a learning experience to putting the contacts in and out. Basically you train yourself to where you can stand poking yourself in the eye. lol Now I wear contacts I can leave in 30 days, sleep in them and everything. No problems camping and hunting in them. As for the mono vision affecting depth perception, sure it's a b-itch close up like to thread a needle but I would say there is zero affect on my ability to judge yardage.

22-Oct-19

22-Oct-19
Don’t get monovision ......night vision will largely be dependent on pupil size......large pupils have more abberation

22-Oct-19
October 2000.... 4pm 20/120 vision both eyes. 9am next morning they removed the patches off both eyes.... fast forward to 2019.... still have 20/20 in both eyes.... one of the best things I ever did!

22-Oct-19
Had it done in 2000. Best money I have ever spent. I'm now 50 and just last year noticed seeing distance was not quite as good. Went to the eye doctor and they suggested contacts. I wear them very little yet.

Go for it, you won't be sorry if your eyes are a candidate.

23-Oct-19
You’ll love it Pat. I had LASIK done in 2000 and never an issue with that. However about 8 months back I started noticing some issues in my left eye while guiding and quickly started having issues up close and on phones and computers. Turned out I had a rapidly aggressive cataracts. Last Wednesday I had surgery and the lens implant following the laser treatment and removal of my lens it is definitely way too clear and 20/15 now.

I was 20/20 vision and never regret the contacts or glasses issues being gone.

The LASIK procedure was a bit more uncomfortable simply because the eyelid spreader and flap procedure was a bit unnerving compared to cataracts surgery because the surgery they totally deaden the eyeball and I was completely unaware of what was being done.

The new internal lenses have a UV protection which is great as it protects the retina. The lens is implanted behind the iris and they force the pupil open more with pressure. All of this stated, The LASIK procedure is not a big deal as long as you use the drops and stay on your back that first night.

My eyes were great immediately following LASIK procedure.

Cataracts surgery takes a bit of getting your brain accustomed to the changes.

23-Oct-19
I heard enough good and bad to be on the fence. A couple guys I know have had serious dry eye and night vision problems after lasix.

23-Oct-19
I had mono done 3 years ago at the age of 42. No effects on shooting or judging distance. My only complaint is on coming headlights or a cell phone on in the passenger seat creates a halo. Other than that the best money ever spent.

24-Oct-19

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Procedure was done this morning and went well. It’s a strange experience with no pain. Just a little discomfort. It’s like those old laser shows from the 80’s set to Led Zeppelin’ music.

The only pain I felt was the hour ride home. That was a uncomfortable because of the bright sun and the drops wearing off. I took a couple Tylenol PMs and slept for three hours.

When I woke up I took off my goggles and that was the first time I got to check out my corrected vision. Holy crap!

My truck license plate was crystal clear 200’ away! I couldn’t read it at 50 feet yesterday.

I grabbed a new Black Gold sight and checked out my 30” vision and that was just fine. This is literally just four hours post op so to say I’m impressed would be an understatement.

Will post more tomorrow but am more than pleased so far!

24-Oct-19
that's a blessing great news

24-Oct-19
Good to hear things went well and results are better than expected at this point.

Hope they continue.

24-Oct-19
I'm 3 weeks out and still amazed at how well I can see now, better than I ever did with glasses or contacts. I'm especially surprised at how much better my low light vision is. Glad your surgery was a success, enjoy your new vision!

24-Oct-19
Yep! Good stuff, Pat!

24-Oct-19
excellent. enjoy!

24-Oct-19
Get you some swimming googles to use when you shower/bathe.

Make sure you are disciplined to your drops to prevent infection.

Wait 90 days and after your eyes totally heal- sight will be double awesome !

Glad to know the procedure went well.

24-Oct-19
You're ready for Halloween with those goggles.

24-Oct-19
Congratulations Pat!

24-Oct-19
Yep, that was my exact reaction back in 1997. Second best feeling in the world.

25-Oct-19
Anyone know if lots of "floaters" complicate this? I could see the laser having issues?

25-Oct-19
Had my follow up appointment and my vision tests out at 20/20. The doc told me it will continue to improve and expected it to be 20/15 by the time I’m fully healed. Gonna shoot this weekend but I expect it will be just fine.

25-Oct-19
That’s great news Pat!

25-Oct-19
??

25-Oct-19
So that is supposed to be a thumbs up imoje.

Glad it went as expected.

26-Oct-19
I'd like to comment on "depth perception" WRT blended vision. As a contact lens wearer for most of my life, I started developing presbyopia and was prescribed bifocal contacts. Due to an accidental loss of a contact, I was more or less forced to experience mono-vision. For the last 7-8 years I have been wearing a close lens on my left and distance lens on my right and can read the smallest print and have better than 20-20 distance vision. The "success" of mono (or blended) vision is dependent upon the brain which amazingly integrate the vision input from both eyes. Some people have problems which can make this form of eye correction uncomfortable. I wear gas permeable lenses up to 20 hours a day and have had no problems with depth perception. I did notice that my short distance correction did affect me seeing the sights at the range and found a solution: I have a separate short lens that was adjusted for a little longer distance. I can still read most but the smallest print, but now see the sights clearly.

As mentioned, for eye correction (be it lasik, contact, corneal lens replacement, etc.), one can get a pair of glasses that will allow one to experience and see if monovision is worthwhile exploring. As for me, not having to have readers and still having good distance vision makes monovision well worth it.

As far as floaters. As we age, the fluid in ones eyes becomes more dense and floaters will be seen. Not much can be done about them...just a prize for getting older.

27-Oct-19
Happy to hear the surgery went well Pat!!

27-Oct-19
Glad to hear it Pat, Seeing clearly is an incredible thing!!!

27-Oct-19
Thanks guys. I’m still getting used to going from nearsighted to farsighted. I hunted coyotes last night for the first time since surgery and my night vision was no better or worse. My distance vision was terrific. I’m still using medicated drops 4x a day which make my eyes a bit cloudy so I’m still not fully recovered. It’s only been 3 days. I am seeing halos on incoming headlights but was told that’s normal for the first week or two.

The biggest change is that I never needed reading glasses before, and now I do - for anything inside of 20”. I knew the trade off and went into this with both eyes open (ha).

Shooting was amazing! The target was largely a blur before and now its sharp. It’s strange being able to read signs and license plates and identifying squirrels and chipmunks in the leaves at 60 yards away.

Oh, and I had to change diopter adjustments on my scopes and binoculars. No big deal.

If I was not a fanatical Bowhunter I would probably left my vision alone and wore glasses for distance. But given how much of my life revolves around hunting this was a great option.

Will keep you updated on my progress. Hunting Iowa next week and Kansas the following week! Can’t wait!

27-Oct-19
Glad its working out Pat. I've been fighting with glasses for reading & gun hunting. For bowhunting, I use a Verifier peep and shoot great. However, w/o glasses my vision is OK, but I can identify stuff at distance better with them on.

Something to consider.

30-Oct-19
Pat; my eyes were so bad it took almost 6 months before everything cleared up. Your eyes will dry out and vision may be blurred a tad every so often however it's the best thing I ever did.

• Sitka Gear