Bowboy 22-Oct-19
Ermine 22-Oct-19
elkstabber 23-Oct-19
Trial153 23-Oct-19
Twinetickler 23-Oct-19
TrapperKayak 23-Oct-19
SixLomaz 23-Oct-19
22-Oct-19
I recall a couple years back a thread that had some great ideas for high calorie backpacking grub. One that I'm trying to remember was a bagel with bacon and a bunch of other stuff on it. Does anybody remember that or have ideas of your own for a high calorie snack to throw in your pack?

22-Oct-19
Whole grain bread, peanut butter and honey. You can find all kinds of 'trail mix' at the store but it's easy enough to make. Start with 'gorp' and add M&M's, chocolate chips etc.

(Good Ol' Raisins & Peanuts ;-) )

22-Oct-19

JohnMC's Link
I followed this, this year. I would recommend most of it. The phat fudge is pretty bad other than that the rest of it was very tolerable. I really liked the hazelnut butter and Honey-Stinger-Waffles

22-Oct-19
For pure calories? Or to have good food?

Crush 2 cans of Pringles into one can. That's about as high calories per lb you can get. Olive oil is the gold standard for just calorie supplementation.

Next Mile freeze dried meals are good and high calorie/protein.

If you want real food, take resealable bags of pepperoni and a hard cheese like Manchego and slice them and put them inside a hard french baggette and cook over fire in aluminum foil - greasy goodness. I've preserved the pepperoni and cheese in the back country for 10 days by just burying during the day.

22-Oct-19
Good suggestions so far, I guess I'm looking more for that bacon bagel concoction that was mentioned before. I cant find that thread, but keep them coming!

22-Oct-19
Ike’s sandwich is pretty tasty.

22-Oct-19
Those Next Mile Meals are pricey.

22-Oct-19
Your thinking of the Bagel, peanut butter, bacon sandwhich.

I prefer using tortillas as it’s less bread and less bulky

23-Oct-19
Twinetickler: you're thinking of the "butthole sandwich". Take a bagel and soak honey into it. Then spread peanut butter and top it off with crunchy bacon bits. Put the two halves together. Then, since you want to save space it should be vacuum packed.

After being vacuum packed it looks like a butthole. Seriously. It was made popular by bowsite member Elk Reaper (Aron Snyder).

23-Oct-19
There are some really good freezes dried opitions at this point. If I need to save weight commerical options vs the time it takes to make anything on my own are a bargin.

23-Oct-19
Haha I'll tell the wife to make me a few butthole sandwiches and see what kind of response I get. That's the one I was thinking of. Just need something for day hikes, dont really want to pack my Jet Boil and mountain house.

23-Oct-19
Home made gorp has all three food groups, just take enough water too. Dried fruit, nuts and m n ms, raisins, walnuts, Smokehouse almonds (they supply the electrolytes), sunflower seeds, Craisins, dark chocolate chis, whatever you want to throw in... Its not that heavy and it lasts a long time. Also carry some homemade elk or venison jerky, for more protein. I could live off this stuff for weeks, if I have enough Konsyl powder to help it pass smoothly... :#

23-Oct-19
Alpine Aire dehydrated food. One pouch will give you 2 solid meals a day.

• Sitka Gear