wyobullshooter 06-Nov-19
Trophyhill 06-Nov-19
cnelk 06-Nov-19
Royboy 06-Nov-19
Bob H in NH 07-Nov-19
Stryker 07-Nov-19
Inshart 07-Nov-19
06-Nov-19
I recently moved to Oregon and this year has been my first hunting. I primarily hunted in Eastern Oregon but want to given the western side a try next year during bow season. I think I would like to give diaphragm calls a try but don’t know where to start. Any suggestions? If anyone wants to give me an idea of some possible public lands to check out (no I’m not gunning for your secret spot, just some help for a newbie) in the coastal range that would be appreciated too. Thanks!

06-Nov-19
Just pick a basic diaphragm elk call from any outdoors store. Lots of instructional videos out there. Some names that come to mind are Elknut, Wayne Carlton, Primos and many others.

Listen and practice. Listen and practice. Once you get the hang of how a diaphragm feels, you can start looking for ones that work well for you personally.

As far as hunting spots. I can't help you there because I don't live in that area.

06-Nov-19
Can’t help you with Oregon but Glenn Berry makes some great calls and his thunder bugle is great for beginners. Good luck hope this helps Lewis

06-Nov-19
Diaphragms are often different in size, shape, palate fit, and reed configuration. What works for me (Phelps Dragon Slayer these days) may not work for you. So try some different ones until you find one that allows you to make all the different sounds wlk make, including the bull sounds.

06-Nov-19
Check out the excellent instructional YouTube videos by Elk101 (Corey Jacobsen) and The Bugler (Dirk Durham). And learn the "slow play" sequence by Elk Nut (Paul Medel).

06-Nov-19
Start with a single reed. I have a high narrow palate and I like the Champ by Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls.

06-Nov-19
Check out some of the AMP calls by Phelps. They're about the easiest out there.

06-Nov-19
As Jaq says, everyone’s mouth is different, so it may take some trial and error to settle on which one(s) you prefer. I personally like Bugling Bull/Elk 101 diaphragms.

Regardless of which brand, I’d recommend starting with a single reed. They’re generally easiest to use, and you can always try a double, or even triple reed once you become proficient. EDIT: Link and I were obviously typing at the same time!

One of the biggest mistakes beginners make is using too much air pressure at the beginning of the call. It doesn’t take much to get the latex vibrating, then increase the pressure to hit the high notes as you transition through the call.

06-Nov-19
Lots of good reeds out there these days. Go shopping and find a few you like. Quite a few instructional videos on YouTube....

06-Nov-19
If you find that you just can’t handle a diaphram plate - yes it happens - try a E.L.K Power Bugle.

They are fool proof and sound great. Be sure to get extra bands

06-Nov-19
Don’t overlook the small primos diaphragms,they work great for me. Like others have said try different ones unfortunately at 5-6 bucks a pop it could hurt your wallet at first.

07-Nov-19
I have to use youth turkey calls and only one in particular works for me. For elk this year, I found a primos "dome" call that works, the dome helps position it in my high/narrow pallet

Second the power bugle! YOu can also pull off the mouth piece and use it as a bugle tube with a mouth call!

Also second "get extra bands" I've been through several this year, they don't tolerate ATV rides or getting wet, so have several in your pack!

07-Nov-19
X2 what Bow Bullet said. Rocky Mountain calls are awesome and Corey does some great instructional videos.

07-Nov-19
Rocky Jacobson has a very good instructional video on youtube - starts right from the beginning and takes you through chuckles.

• Sitka Gear