Taking my son on 1st out of state hunt..
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
mn_archer 05-Dec-19
KHNC 05-Dec-19
T.O 05-Dec-19
RK 05-Dec-19
wildwilderness 05-Dec-19
Ucsdryder 05-Dec-19
cnelk 05-Dec-19
WI Shedhead 05-Dec-19
JusPassin 05-Dec-19
fubar racin 05-Dec-19
TreeWalker 05-Dec-19
nmwapiti 05-Dec-19
Brotsky 05-Dec-19
Dale06 05-Dec-19
TrapperKayak 05-Dec-19
Zebrakiller 05-Dec-19
mn_archer 05-Dec-19
ahunter76 05-Dec-19
Mule Power 05-Dec-19
Grubby 05-Dec-19
BigOzzie 05-Dec-19
RK 05-Dec-19
Quinn @work 05-Dec-19
Treeline 05-Dec-19
Ghost425 05-Dec-19
RK 05-Dec-19
cnelk 05-Dec-19
Quinn @work 06-Dec-19
mn_archer 06-Dec-19
midwest 06-Dec-19
LINK 06-Dec-19
LINK 06-Dec-19
ahunter76 06-Dec-19
WapitiBob 06-Dec-19
Mike the Carpenter 06-Dec-19
Aubs8 06-Dec-19
Aubs8 06-Dec-19
05-Dec-19
What was the first out of state hunt you took your son or daughter on, and how old were they?

If you have a pic feel free to share it.

Our son Charlie is 9, turning 10 in July. I'm very much considering taking him on an Antelope rifle hunt next fall. Hes in great shape and loves to hike, and I'm thinking an antelope hunt would be perfect.

05-Dec-19
Antelope is a good fit. Took my son on a Nebraska whitetail rifle when he turned 10. Super cold but it was a success.

05-Dec-19
I took both of my boys to Saskatchewan on a deer hunt when they turned 17, it was a great hunt and it made it easer for me to go twice, just getting ready to book a mule deer hunt for the 3 of us now that there grown I'm really looking forward to the hunt with them.

T.O.

05-Dec-19
First hunts I took my son on were rifle deer, rifle antelope at 8 in Texas. First out of state was pheasant Kansas at 12

05-Dec-19
Where are you planning to hunt?

Most western states have age limits to Hunt big game usally 12

Wyoming is 12.- that's the easiest and cheapest out of state hunt for doe antelope.

05-Dec-19
I went on a high country mule deer hunt with my dad in Colorado when I was 8 I believe. I did 30 miles deep in the frank church on horses when I was 10ish.

05-Dec-19
Antelope would be a great starter hunt for him to be around. I took my son to Neb ML deer when he was 11. Before that it was Neb turkey

05-Dec-19
Iowa deer 10, Colorado elk10 (they came along) Wyoming antelope 12. All were fine on the trip. No complaining and they all can’t wait for the next time. Good boots, food they’ll eat and properly fit clothing are all a good idea

05-Dec-19
I'd say 10 or 12 is a good age. They should be old enough to at least have half a chance to fend for themselves in a worst case scenario. The guys dragging 4,5,6 year olds along are not using the best judgement, doing it more for themselves than the child. JMO.

05-Dec-19
Iv barely done much out of state myself but both my boys went along for plains deer and antelope hunts before 5 and my now 8 year old went on a late season elk hunt with grandpa and I this year.

05-Dec-19
I was hunting before age 10 because on 10th birthday I got a 20-gauge double-barrel so I had my own gun going forward. Plinked at tin cans with a .22 on my own a year or two before began swinging a shotgun. Fired a shotgun from a rest or while an adult helped hold before was kindergarten age. Was bow hunting aby age 14. I grew up on a farm though so animal death and blood and squeals were a part of my fabric of life. Some kids see animals as pets as dogs and cats are the only critters they interact with day to day. Disney tends to show critters as having human family units and emotions so that can impact a kid. My kids started with fishing and cleaning fish for the frying pan. Then, small game then doves and waterfowl then big game.

I think the best first western hunt for anyone is a buck pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. Are great looking shoulder mounts and a 12" buck looks as good on the wall as a 16" as long as are not placed next to each other. You usually see lots of bucks if are on private or on public land that has minimal pressure. Some Wyoming units are terrible for getting someone a relaxed shot opportunity as are a lot of tags and wild shooting at running pronghorn from the edge of the road.

05-Dec-19

nmwapiti's embedded Photo
nmwapiti's embedded Photo
Took my son to Montana on a general tag deer hunt even he was 16. Good time and worth every penny.

05-Dec-19

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Turkeys are tough to beat for kids. Lots of action, great vocal interaction, and cheap tags. Just be careful who you go with so they don’t get unreasonable expectations! :-)

05-Dec-19
I took my son from Mn to Wisc on a deer hunt WHEN HE WAS ABOUT 12 yo. He arrowed his first deer on that hunt, and in following years, many more. Took him to Sodak for antelope last fall, he arrowed one. This next year elk in NM.

05-Dec-19
My father didn't take me on any of his few non-res hunts to PA (too young), so when I was 22, I moved to Montana, and a few years later brought him, his brother, and two cousins out there to hunt with me. Everyone got an animal, 3 mulies and one elk, and I got a bear. Great time, I miss that time together. Now I hunt with my two cousins, the Dad's have passed on.

05-Dec-19

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
my son was 9 hog hunt lots of action and we have never missed a year since

05-Dec-19
Well after a little research it seems I may have jumped the gun for antelope.

My 2 best options are mt and wy, both require youth to be 12.

Looks like hes gonna be a tag along for a couple years.

05-Dec-19

ahunter76's embedded Photo
I started taking my son "along" when he was 3. He was with me when I arrowed Mule Deer in Co & Whitetail in Ws.. "HE" bowhunted out of state his 1st time in Colorado (no kill but missed his 1st biggame. At 16 I took him to Quebec & he took 2 nice Bulls. We have shared many adventures together & I took him on his 1st Antelope hunt to Wy this year (he took a nice Buck)

05-Dec-19
Wise choice. Not overly physically demanding. Don’t have to get up at the crack of dawn. Lots of animals and high success. The perfect hunt to get him hooked. That’s how they started me off and the rest is history.

05-Dec-19
We did turkey at that age. I don’t believe that kid is that old already!

05-Dec-19
Have never hunted out of state myself, but have always included the kids in state. My first born ruined a whitetail stalk for me when she was an infant, I had her in one of the backpacks, and she was sucking on a bottle. I was creeping from spruce tree to spruce tree trying to get a shot at a big doe. @ about 20 yards she reached out and grabbed the branch of a prickly little spruce tree and cried out whaaaaaaaaaa wahhhhh waaaaa. and that hunt was over.

love the memories with your children Cherish the times. That little one is now a DPT and going on a 5 week mission to India to work in a children's hospital. I have to beg to get time with her and her husband, and living in different states makes it hard to hunt. Maybe I should plan a hunt in MN with them? hmmmmm that would make Christmas break more fun. hmmmm.

oz

05-Dec-19
Take him for antelope in Texas $7.00 license. Lots of antelope Hunt fee varies depending on area of the state

05-Dec-19

Quinn @work's embedded Photo
9 Degrees but he didn't care
Quinn @work's embedded Photo
9 Degrees but he didn't care
He can hunt in Kansas at any age I believe? I took my son when he was 10 on his first big game hunt.

05-Dec-19
I started taking my son in the local area for elk and mule deer when he was around 2. He went with me to Wyoming, Kansas, New Mexico, and Arizona on hunts before he was old enough to hunt himself.

Took him to my parent’s ranch in Texas and he shot his first doe and buck whitetail when he was 6.

Will see if I can find pictures.

Texas probably has the best opportunities for taking a kid. Easy, cheap tags for kids. It’s not all sitting in a blind over a feeder in a high fence!

There are some amazing opportunities for all kinds of native and exotic game. Some very reasonable hunting prices if you poke around a bit.

05-Dec-19
This is an awesome thread and super cool to read. Seems like some good dads here on the site!

05-Dec-19
Travis. Well said. You may be the only NR that knows that

05-Dec-19
You probably got 10 good years in front of you to hunt together. Mix in girlfriends, sports, college and then they start their own life, so take it when you can get it.

My son, who is an electrician for Vail Resorts, came home to visit last weekend and told me he's going to Denmark to work for a couple years on off-shore wind turbines.

So yeah, enjoy the times you can get.

06-Dec-19
cnelk X10!! So true.

06-Dec-19
John Law

those are some great pics. A few years have passed through those pictures- thanks for sharing.

Despite many of the differences in opinion Bowsite has to have some of the best guys on it as far as outdoor forums go. I've gotten a bunch of PM'S with ideas and offers.

You guys are incredible

thanks for sharing Michael

06-Dec-19
Good luck, Michael. I can't wait until my grandkids are old enough to go on a hunt with papa Nick!

06-Dec-19
My daughter is ten and has been begging to go elk hunting since she was 5. I’ll probably take her to knock around for a few days when she’s 12. Colorado’s youth license is $100 so for that price if it turns into a camping hiking trip it will be time well spent with my daughter that’s growing up too fast. Colorado is only 6 hours away for me though. I would think an antelope hunt would be perfect for most. Either way my daughter loves hiking her tail off and reading so either would work.

06-Dec-19

LINK's embedded Photo
7 years old
LINK's embedded Photo
7 years old
LINK's embedded Photo
This fall at 10.
LINK's embedded Photo
This fall at 10.
She’s been shooting a real bow since she was 7. I think she’ll be ready by 12. I’d like to find her a good water hole to hunt evenings at so I don’t over hike her.

06-Dec-19
mn-archer. Thanks. yes, like 40 years. Antelope is probably one of the easiest IF DRY & over a waterhole for biggame. We do public, DIY & never disappointed. A off season wild pig hunt is always a ton of fun (Tx,Ok) We like to do this in March when kids are on spring break. Might find a Pig, Turkey combo in one of those states. I also love Deer in Wisconsin but things have changed some since my last trip (I've bowhunted public Wisconsin nearly as much as at home) My favorite state to Deer hunt. Good luck.

06-Dec-19
Wyoming antelope

06-Dec-19
Once our boys hit the age of 8, we went out of state at least once a year. Texas for Axis, whitetail and Sika deer. Florida for deep sea fishing, the Dakota’s for pheasants, Canadian fly-in fishing trips. Hawaii a couple times to go deep sea fishing. Western fishing adventures and Lobster trapping in New England. They are 14 and 16 now. Don’t wait, and do it often. They grow up way to damn fast.

06-Dec-19

Aubs8's embedded Photo
Aubs8's embedded Photo
I have been lucky enough to take both of my daughters at age 13...one to Quebec for caribou in 2015 and one to Wyoming for elk in 2019...Both will be remembered as some of the best time we ever spent together. Have fun! It is a special time!

Mike

06-Dec-19

Aubs8's embedded Photo
Aubs8's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear