Missouribreaks 04-Jan-21
Drnaln 04-Jan-21
Brotsky 04-Jan-21
Chief 419 04-Jan-21
Drnaln 04-Jan-21
JSW 04-Jan-21
Missouribreaks 04-Jan-21
05-Dec-19
ATTENTION BOWHUNTERS - If you need another great reason to join the P&Y Club... here it is! We have an "End Of Year" membership push happening now. Join the Club before Midnight, Jan. 1st and get entered to win your choice of 2 fantastic Hoyt Archery? bows! Recurve - SATORI STORM Compound - HOYT RX-3 BLACKOUT Drawing will be held on Jan. 6th, 2020 at 2 pm. Go to www.pope-young.org and join today! If you are already a member, please share this promotion with your bowhunting friends! Let's all stand together to protect bowhunting's heritage!

05-Dec-19

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo

05-Dec-19
That’s awesome Jim, how about all the guys we signed up on Tuesday? Are they in for the drawing or did this just start today? Thanks!

05-Dec-19
They will be included as well. I lost track, how many new members did you guys sign up?

05-Dec-19
I’m honestly not sure, not enough! Great promotion, I hope to add a few more through the holidays. Thanks Jim!

05-Dec-19
Be awesome if one of those guys won!

05-Dec-19
That would be way cool.

07-Dec-19
Excellent.

What is the current membership count for P&Y?

07-Dec-19
Bou, it’s not nearly high enough. Only a fraction of the world’s bowhunters belong to PnY or even their state association. It’s a damn shame.

07-Dec-19
From the P&Y website, as of 11/01/17 which is almost 3 years old: Members - 4949 Lifetime General Members - 539 Regular Members - 198 Senior Senior - 359 Youth Members - 152 Supporting Members - 44

Hopefully these numbers are much higher, but as Justin said “not nearly high enough.”

07-Dec-19
Jim, I just signed a guy up this week from my office. Hopefully he can get in?

07-Dec-19
Bow drawing doesn't seem to be mentioned on the membership web page?

07-Dec-19
Rick, If the application is there before January 1, he will be in the drawing. Overall membership of P&Y is generally from 6500 to just under 7000. It would be great if we could crack the 7000 mark. Too many people look at P&Y like they do NRA. They did something years ago that pissed me off so I'm not going to support them. NRA has done plenty to piss me off but they are literally the only organization out there that can and do have an impact on our constitutional rights. If P&Y doesn't stand up for Fair Chase bowhunting, who will. If bowhunting is your life and you are not a member, well I'll bite my tongue on that one. Step up, join and get involved.

07-Dec-19
If we could get it to a place where only 99% of US bow hunters did not belong there would be over 30,200 members vs 6,500 today.

07-Dec-19
I should probably join, never been a member! Brotsky told me I need to shoot bigger animals to do so.... haha kidding. But I seriously need to join!

07-Dec-19
Tanner....join and we'll see you in Reno, 2021!

07-Dec-19
I promise any new members—or old members for that matter—drinks at all the future conventions they attend. I know a guy that likes to host parties...

07-Dec-19
I like parties!

07-Dec-19
I said you need to shoot bigger shots, not animals. Time to sign up and join us in Reno Tanner!

15-Jan-20
The membership drive bow was won by Adam Babcock. Congratulations Adam!!!

Is he a bowsiter?

31-Dec-20
I know this thread is 1 year old, but I just joined today (4-year membership)

31-Dec-20
Welcome!

01-Jan-21
Im' a Regular Life Member even though this is a 2 year old thread

Good luck, Robb

03-Jan-21
I heard the greatest quote ever on the Stickbow Chronicles podcast. Gene Hopkins has a signed photo from John "Muzzie" Masacchia with this written on it.

"Everyone wants to BE something in archery" "Nobody wants to DO something for archery"

We all have to step up and DO something.

03-Jan-21
Quote says a lot. Lots of archery hunters slam P&Y for their membership structure, scoring system or something else they don't agree with. That bothers me but NOT as much as the same hunters shooting a nice critter & having the animal scored with zero intention of entering that animal into P&Y. Worse yet is when they still claim to have taken a P&Y class buck or a "Booner". Some complain about P&Y but use the same to elevate their archery harvest!

03-Jan-21
That sums up a lot more than archery these days

03-Jan-21
Drnain- I think most use the scoring system to give others an idea of how big the deer was. Boone and Crockett doesn’t have a patent on a scoring tape or how someone can use it

03-Jan-21
OneBooner- Numbers & inches is one thing but lots of hunters put P&Y or B&C after the score just to make it sound better. A critter doesn't gain that recognition after the score unless it's been entered & accepted!

04-Jan-21
I think the terms are used to designate methodology, as well as inches.

04-Jan-21
Missouribreaks, I'm sure that's the case. Hard to spell bow or rifle.

04-Jan-21
How about crossbow?

04-Jan-21
Lumped in with rifle...

04-Jan-21
I have always wondered how long the P&Y Club will pass up the crossbow revenue. With the decline in bow and arrow hunting, there must be some discussions going on, especially if their museum becomes entrenched with Bass Pro.

04-Jan-21
They will put a double asterisk by traditional kills, a single asterisk by compound and leave the crossbow kills like compound is now. In 2019, my county in Illinois had nearly as many crossbow kills as gun kills. I don’t know anybody who hunts with a crossbow that didn’t kill at least one deer with it this year. The success rate has to be off the charts and a lot higher than even firearms

04-Jan-21
Accepting crossbow critters would be the end of P&Y.

04-Jan-21
Why, if crossbows had their own asterisk? The club has approved increasing let offs and advancements in the compound bow. Why stop?

04-Jan-21
Do you have to draw a crossbow?

04-Jan-21
Lots of talk could be put to rest if guys would join the club and be active members rather than actively speculating.

04-Jan-21
I get your point Missouri. There's something to be said for sticking together. The problem is that crossbows are not bows. They're cock and load cross guns with scopes. I'm with Drnaln on this one. It would be the end of the club. The board will never vote to include those entries in the records program. That debate was had years ago.

Other organizations like SCI already accept crossbow entries and I've heard there is a crossbow records keeping organization being formed.

04-Jan-21
^^^^^^^ Well said

04-Jan-21
Let's put an end to this. There is absolutely not talk among the P&Y leadership of including crossbow kills in our records. ZERO, ZIP,NADA, Period.

It's a ridiculous discussion. Crossbow hunting is not bowhunting. It simply is not. We would never consider flintlocks, spears or slingshots and we won't include crossbows just because it has the word "bow" in it's description. A crossbow is not a bow.

CROSSBOW HUNTING IS NOT BOWHUNTING!!!

Crossbows are bar none, the biggest threat to bowhunting. Any sport that would loose 40-50% participation in a matter of 5 years faces some serious issues.

What we have learned through all of this is there never was 3.6 million bowhunters. We had between 1.5-2 million bowhunters and about that many that hunted with a bow but never really were bowhunters. They simply hunted with a bow during archery seasons and switched to something easier as soon as it became legal. If a 30-06 was allowed in archery seasons tomorrow, this same 40-50% would use a rifle. The rest of us would continue to hunt with a real bow.

P&Y survived when there were only tens of thousands of bowhunters across the country and we will certainly survive crossbows. We never relied on those pseudo bowhunters, who now hunt with a crossbow, for our survival. They were not Pope and Young. The Pope and Young Club is bowhunting. We'll be just fine.

04-Jan-21
I do not disagree, nor do I like crossbows.

As a business person, I believe it will be very, very tough to maintain, or grow membership in the face of declining interest and participation in bow and arrow hunting. With fear, you may see a temporary bump in membership, but the eventual decline is inevitable.

• Sitka Gear