Elkoholic 07-Dec-19
White Falcon 07-Dec-19
Catscratch 07-Dec-19
midwest 08-Dec-19
Woods Walker 08-Dec-19
Jaquomo 08-Dec-19
JL 08-Dec-19
06-Dec-19
My son works for an archery shop as the manager. Business is good but he believes he needs to broaden the customer base. He is looking at events vs. more product. Axe throwing is one thought. It seems fun and he believes it can not only attract new people but may appeal to current customers as well. Just thought I would ask BS members. Please picture your local shop doing this then give feedback. What would you think?

06-Dec-19
My wife's best friend's husband has been trying like hell to start one of these places in the Denver area. Apparently the insurance is a huge PIA. I'd have him look into that before he gets too gung-ho on it.

As for actually doing it - I think it's a fad. I'm sure it's fun every once in a while but I couldn't see myself doing it often. I could be way off though.

06-Dec-19
I’m amazed at the number of people that go into RMS to rent trad bows to shoot for a few hours.

06-Dec-19
Hell, I can hardly throw a softball anymore. An axe? No thanks.

06-Dec-19
Got a place down the road from my work that has ax throwing at the bar. At first I laughed, but I have yet to see a report in the paper of what I was sure was going to happen daily.

06-Dec-19
I thought this was a feeder/food plot thread........

06-Dec-19

Mike the Carpenter's Link
Got this off of their website. Had no idea it was as popular as it is. Must be why there is a shortage of flannel shirts in the stores around here.

06-Dec-19
We live in an Amish area and they all seem to think it is cool. I have been selling to archery stores for five years and they all want more customers. Maybe it is possible by diversifying to axe throwing as well as other event based ideas.

06-Dec-19
It’s big business around my area in Missouri. I can’t believe it’s actually a thing where they serve alcohol at??. I’m really surprised no ones been hurt, but it does look fun!!

06-Dec-19
It is awesome wicked fun

There is a league on the coast where I live. Very addicting

06-Dec-19
Thought this was another Rage debate. Had the popcorn out and everything!

06-Dec-19

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Groups of People line up out the door waiting to get their own “stall”. Might give it a try one day. Actually, might be more interesting to sit back and watch the festivities.

06-Dec-19
I thought this was a rage broadhead thread.

06-Dec-19
I used throw hawks a lot but haven't for a long time but think im going to sharpen it up!

06-Dec-19
Date I add that he is considering a couple niche lanes too. Let me have it.

06-Dec-19
While visiting my daughter in Missoula last summer we tried it. I had so much fun I built my own target at home in Maryland as soon as we returned. Now it's become a staple whenever the kids and grand kids are over.

06-Dec-19
Damn auto correct. Boche lanes.

06-Dec-19
The Oocho had the national series of axe throwing. These places are popping up and for 28 bucks an hour you can throw. give me 20 bucks an hour and you can throw in my backyard lol

06-Dec-19
Definitely do it if no one has it in his area. They have two places here in town. They are usually busy. It’s a great time with buddies, couples, etc. I’m damn good at it lol

06-Dec-19
Can you drink while your chuckin' axes? Sounds like fun! LOL

06-Dec-19

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
ND String Puller's embedded Photo

ND String Puller's Link
Tell him to do it. Have them try shooting a trad bow (for simplicity) while their waiting to throw the axes? I’d give it a try.

We split a bunch of wood for Elk camp in October. Just makes you feel good, hard to explain.

Oh and Lumberjacks are just bad ass! This clip reminds me of coming home after a couple weeks in the Mountains. Lol

06-Dec-19
“Can you drink while your chuckin' axes?”

Yes, yes you can.

06-Dec-19

Brotsky's Link
It is a blast, here’s a link to our local spot. They have leagues and everything.

06-Dec-19
Traditional archery shoots I attend have hawk throwing competitionS. I bring a couple stands and targets and a half dozen hawks with me to the shoots and set them up by my campsite. It only takes about five minutes to teach someone to stick a hawk, that being said it can take a long time to reach the level required to win most competitions. Competitions are normally set up where you get three throws at a standard playing card. If you cut a piece off the card you get 5 points, if you hit the card but don't cut a piece off you get three points and if you stick the hawk in the target you get one point.

I have had as many as 20 people throwing hawks at my campsite. It truly is addictive and relatively cheap to get into. You can buy hawks from India delivered to your house for around 30$ each. Make sure you order several spare handles because they will get broken but it is simple enough to fit a new handle and it is a great way to meet new friends .

I don't know about making a business out of it as you would almost certainly need to have a liquor license to keep the place full enough to cover the insurance and make a profit. I know there are places doing it I just don't know what kind of profit margin they are working with. The good thing is you wouldn't have much in materials to convert a bar into a place with throwing lanes and targets. Good Day

06-Dec-19
I took the whole family to that Hub bar Mike..... We played that football bowling for a few hours. My first thought was I can’t believe they let people throw axes and drink.... Well,,, More like hatchets......

They got into trouble some time after we left because unattended people in the bar who didn’t pay for the axe throwing were just walking into the area and helping themselves... there was basically no supervision going on.....

I don’t know how long they’ll be open... There were very few customers in there.

06-Dec-19
The one in Overland Park, Ks on the south side of KC has beer and axe throwing. Sounds like a safe mix to me! LOL

06-Dec-19
Nothing better than some good axe and knife throwing!

06-Dec-19
buddy of mine just turned 30 last month. his wife planned a thing to a place in cedar falls, IA called hurling hatchets. pretty neat time, they have a league and stuff i guess. they had a couple small flat screen tvs we could watch football, throw axes, and drink beer. I'm not sure how you get insured to serve alcohol in a hatchet throwing place but apparently it's possible. I too believe it's a fad but judging by the looks of things, it's very cheap to get started so when it dies down, you're not out much unless the insurance premiums are a killer. Or, maybe just don't serve beer

06-Dec-19
Have a few axe throwing bars around my area, always wanted to check it out. Though I’m not so sure alcohol and chucking axes are good bedfellows

07-Dec-19
What could possibly go wrong?

:-)

Matt

07-Dec-19
Suburbanites love this stuff! One opened here about 3 years ago in a front and center retail building that I would guess is over 10k square feet. It is BYO and they are JAMMED with customers! They have at least 20 lanes. I was certain it would fad out w/in 1 year. They seem to still be doing fantastic!

07-Dec-19
^^^ I live in Ct and theres an Ax throwing place that opened a while back that charges $100 an hour and is ALWAYS packed. Me being an outdoors guy I would never pay that much to do something I can do in my back yard but the suburbanites really do love it. That being said... Would you really want to walk into your local archery shop and see a buch of hipsters tossing axs?

07-Dec-19
Axe***

07-Dec-19
There is one open in Fargo 20 an hr. Are company took us over for lunch and throwing it was a blast easy to catch onto. And there’s just something about a women with an axe in her hand!!!!

07-Dec-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
You can even put your most unliked people up there and take a shot. It was all fun and games till HR gal came by made me take it down might not last long on here either.

07-Dec-19
I'm surprised there's any interest in this thing. Seems like a dumb thing to want to pay to do. Apologies I offend anyone.

07-Dec-19
He's going for it. If your in NE Ohio come on by. Great feedback

07-Dec-19
Any wonder why the liability insurance is expensive if even attainable...

07-Dec-19

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
It's big in Texas.

07-Dec-19
Damn, Robin Hood axe throw. Bet you can’t do that again

07-Dec-19
I live in Denver and one of the most popular places right now is called Badax. Nothing like having a bunch of beers and throwing some axes!

07-Dec-19
I have, but don't like making new handles!

07-Dec-19
I would sure give it a try!

08-Dec-19
It's catching fire here in Iowa. Our senior leadership team where I work just did a group outing last week. Beer is mandatory!

08-Dec-19
What more can you axe for!

08-Dec-19
My neighbor has a knife and axe throwing setup. Throwing stars too. Lots of great times beside the big party campfire, especially with alcohol involved!

08-Dec-19
I probably wouldn't pay to do it. I've split alot of wood so I don't see the thrill. If I was in a league I'd get this guy on my team. :-)

• Sitka Gear