JL 08-Dec-19
Stryker 08-Dec-19
Bou'bound 09-Dec-19
320 bull 09-Dec-19
Ace 09-Dec-19
JL 09-Dec-19
wildan 09-Dec-19
07-Dec-19
ok so it's been to long without a dog my last 2 were Chesapeake bay retrievers. I rarely bird hunt anymore. & deer hunt more than ever. iv wanted a bloodhound for some time but also really like the uniqueness & mental tenacity of the chesseys. both chesseys iv had would find deer but not step for step on a lead tracking like a bloodhound would do. any experience with bloodhounds & perhaps a reputable breeder would be appreciated

07-Dec-19
My parents raised bloodhounds when I was a kid. Man those things can eat a ton. I don’t have anything for you but good luck.

07-Dec-19
Timex

This is the little I know about them from friends of mine that have had them or have them

Really do you research on breeders. There do not seem to be a lot of great ones at least on east coast. They are awesome trackers for sure. What they don't do real well at is being a great family dog. Like labs Goldens etc they just don't fall in with that. They need a lot of room to roam. Big dog with long legs

Good luck with your search

07-Dec-19
I knew a girl like that once...only once!

07-Dec-19
I knew a girl like that once...only once!

07-Dec-19
My chaweenie is a blood hound!

07-Dec-19
Bloodhounds are cool dogs. The United blood Trackers guy I had help me this year used labs and he said that you can use any dog and his are pets (couch dogs) not hunting dogs (outdoors, kennels, etc.).so I wouldn't focus on a specific breed unless that is what you specifically want

07-Dec-19
i Would disagree to a point that bloodhounds don’t make good family dogs they are large and clumsy yes but they are also extremely loyal extremely gentle with their family and very protective over their family I can promise you that any stranger that attempted harm to my little guy when his bloodhound was still alive would have been flat on his back staring up at drooling growling jowls before he knew what happened. Dog never bit anyone but hurt that little guy and he would sure level ya.

07-Dec-19

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
If you want a blood tracking dog to double as the family pet, IMO a Jack Russell Terrier cannot be beaten. Mine has found numerous deer and hogs for me. Mind you, some of them he didn’t “need” to find, but I like to work him when it’s handy. He loves a track !

They come short and tall, short haired (smooth coat) and long haired (rough coat). I have a rough coat that I have clipped about every three months. He’s not only a family dog, he IS FAMILY !

07-Dec-19
Roosevelt had one on his Elkhorn Ranch.

God dogs.

KH~

07-Dec-19
We just put down our almost 16yr old GSP. Eventually we will get another dog for our kids and I'm also looking for the same(blood tracking) dog. I dont bird hunt much anymore.

07-Dec-19

Bowmania's embedded Photo
Bowmania's embedded Photo
Timex, you have the best name for a dog!!!

Here's Sharps, a tracker in training. Second find for a 10 month old pup. Bridger the last dog I had found 22 deer and 4 bear. Some of his finds were unbelievable and if it wasn't for me, he probably would have had another 10 finds.

Timex is the best name for a dog, because they're watch dogs.

Bowmania

07-Dec-19

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
Samantha (Sam) as a pup

07-Dec-19

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
probably 9 or10 in this pic & a duck & goose fetching machine. she lived to 18 years & I cried when she left but I think I want a hound now

07-Dec-19
Bloodhounds and Black & Tans have very oily coats with a musky odor.

. . . . . . .

. . . .. . . .

They also have very good noses.

07-Dec-19
I have two Belguim shepards(Turverns/onlger hair. My first experience with them. they are just turning 3. fantastic loyal family dogs. One dose not track a bit the other I would put against a blood hound. I shot a blacktail buck this past season. I let my tracker smell the hide. Locked her in the house. drug the hide for half a mile, the buried it 6 inches deep. I let her go and she found it with n 30 minutes. did not want to let the hide go either. their cusion with the short hair is highly prized by law enforcement and the military or the Melonua varity. I just love them.

07-Dec-19
Had a Boykin Spaniel that tracked, worked cows to a degree, flushed and retrieved everything from Hun's to 14 lb honkers. Pointed to some degree.

What was really neat was that she rode on the truck console that had indoor outdoor carpet Shoegoo'd on top.

If all you're looking for is a dog to trail, why feed 80 lbs?

08-Dec-19
I've owned two bloodhounds. One was a "pre-owned" female and later on the other was a male we got as a pup from a well known tracking breeder in Wisconsin. Yes they have the best noses around and are accepted as evidence in a court of law.

I'll give ya the bad on these hounds first. IMO they are high maintenance hounds. They need alot of space to run around unless you want a house dog...which I do not recommend. They drool alot (or take a drink) and when they shake their head, large slobber balls go everywhere. Their ears need to be kept clean inside so they don't get ear infections and outside as the ears get food on them when they eat out of a bowl or drink. When they sweat they can get oily and smelly....like a dog. Their nails need to be kept short otherwise they get too long and will then bleed when you do a trimming. When our male got older he became antisocial outside the family and food possessive. That wasn't his fault though. When we had him we moved 4 times and one of those was overseas. We lived on military housing areas and you had to keep you dogs leashed and/or locked up. I and my military lifestyle failed him more than he failed me. He was great around our family but I couldn't trust him around other people as he could get aggressive. The female was older when we got her. She was a great dog...lovable and funny....great disposition. The vet bills can get spendy due to their size....bigger body's, bigger doses of meds needed.....that translates to more $$$. Their average lifespans are not that long...something like 8 or 9 years. Our female we think got gastro-distorsion and that killed her....broke my heart. She died in the truck as I took her to the vet to get put down. The male got some type of cancer that paralyzed his spine and had to get put down.

The good is the dogs are loyal, affectionate, very smart and fun to watch tracking something. If you want a tracking dog (man, blood, animal), you have to start working them early and consistently. I never did any real training with the older female. I started with the young male as a pup but never went far with him. He could trail a mean hot dog track. I don't know how good a dog of that size would be in tight or rough terrain a deer would run into to hide. He would pull alot when on a hot track and once they get on a track they go! You can't let go of the leash otherwise they're gone running the track and you'll have a hard time catching them. That could be a problem if you're tracking a wounded deer with a marginal hit....the dog would catch up quick and bump the deer.

So my two cents....talk to other bloodhound owners and get their perspective. These hounds are a long-term commitment on your part. They will do ya right if your take care of them or they can be your worst nightmare.

08-Dec-19
I'm partial to labs. The best dog to ever live was a black lab I lost a year ago. I now have another Lab we just adopted when one of her older owners died. She is a year old, very intelligent, and only being here a week now, has starred settling in and becoming a great member of the family. She has never had any bird training but, she has taken to me very quickly. We still have some trust issues to work out but, it is going very well considering I've had her only a week.

With all that said, some of the best, smartest, and most talented dogs are mixes. Good luck and God Bless

08-Dec-19
Maybe look at Bavarian mountain hounds I think they are a lot smaller than blood hound. I always wanted one for blood tracking after my tracker died. But got into lion hunting with hounds and it’s consumed me no time for a blood tracker.

08-Dec-19

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo
Why not a begull ? In CT were not allowed to use tracking dogs but I have taken my sisters dog out for a stroll a time or two. I put a bad hit on a doe once. After 2 hrs of searching and with a light drizzle I almost gave up. I called my brother in law to give him an update and he suggested taking "buddy" for a walk, at the time he was 7 and only tracked squirrels and chipmucks in the yard . instantly he was on blood and found the doe 45 mins later under some briars. I've taken him a couple of other times for friends with the same results. He's 15 now and only tracks the food in my hand. I'm sure with formal training he would've been fantastic. They're great little family dogs

08-Dec-19

fishnride's embedded Photo
fishnride's embedded Photo
So this is What you get when you cross 2 of the breeds already mentioned, a beagle and a Jack Russell (actually a fox terrier which is the bigger half of a Jack Russell.) Griswold is almost 10 now but took to tracking immediately when he was a pup. I started him off on solid trails with a lot of blood and before you knew it he could stay a track of about 4ozs over a quarter mile. Turns out this mix is basically tailor made for blood tracking. He’s low to the ground, crazy agile and has no concept of the meaning quit. Climbs like a goat too.

It’s not a “breed” per sea that’s easy to come by, but if your looking for a solid family dog that’s not too big and can learn to track pretty easy you might consider a beagle mix.

08-Dec-19
Anyone ever see bassets do tracking?

08-Dec-19

Stryker's embedded Photo
Stryker's embedded Photo
My best friend and she is only a year old

09-Dec-19

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Buddy helping me field dress a deer.

09-Dec-19
Just stay away from pit bulls those things are death devils.

09-Dec-19
I have a rat terrier and he has become my absolute favorite dog. Wicked smart and has a huge personality. He rarely leaves my sight and is never in the way. The only downside I see is he is getting a bit nervous now at 3 years old. Hates loud noises and will get shaky and pant if there is gunfire or fireworks. I cant see where it came from either when he was a pup he treed a big woodchuck in the yard and when I shot it the dog took after him like he was fearless. Now if I pull a long gun out of the closet he takes immediate notice. I have not used him for tracking so can't comment on that. After having a handful of larger hunting breeds this dog is just way easier to have around. I would consider how much time the dog will be alone when selecting a breed. I work at home so mine gets lots of people time. I don't think he would do well with 8-9 hours of alone time if I had to leave for work.

09-Dec-19

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
Some good advice here, and it's pretty obvious that we all love our dogs.

I have seen some unlikely breeds and mixes be great blood tracking dogs. And I have seen some breeds well known for their hunting ability turn out to be nothing but good pets (not to minimize the importance of that).

My best advice is to really think about what you will be doing with the dog. Some breeds are MUCH easier to train than others, and some are really not suited to beginners.

Where most fall down is with the basic obedience work. It's a huge part of every kind of hunting where you and the dog work as a team. If your dog won't obey basic commands, you'll have one hell of a time making it a good bird dog, or shed hunting dog.

Pay attention to what a dog has been bred to do, there is a reason so many people love labs, they (generally) have gentle dispositions, they are pretty easy to train and they can swim like a fish. I have only owned 1 but I have hunted over a bunch of them, hardly ever a bad one. One friend has a Pointing Lab (it's a thing) and he is a joy to be around. GSPs are usually really great at finding birds, but they can be a handful and I think they are better suited for a more experienced dog person, or one who will get some help with the training. ymmv

My lab never really turned into much of a bird finder, she would retrieve anything you wanted her to but I never was able to turn her into an upland dog. And that was all me, I didn't know what I was doing as a trainer, and she was a great dog around my kids, so ... My next dog was a German Wiredhaired Pointer, sweet and a great family dog, and a bird hunting machine. So much drive that she would run through a barbed wire fence to find and point a bird, and yes she did just that a few times. No quit in her, and if anything TOO much prey drive. Had a thing about squirrels too, they must have pissed her off in a previous life. She finally slowed down enough for me to keep up with her at about 12 years old. When she died, at firdt I said NO MORE. Who was I kidding, I got a Spinoni Italiano pup, a big white goofy curly mellow persnality but pretty high energy Italian hunting dog. She's much more my speed in the woods, and at 2, she's become a really good hunter.

Do your research, your choice of a breeder is at least as important as the choice of a breed. Or you can roll the dice and hope for the best.

Sometimes we pick the dog, but very often, the dog picks us.

09-Dec-19
Another way I seen it explained.....it's not if the dog is right for you, but are you right for the dog? Alot of truth in that...BTDT.

09-Dec-19
Do some reading on NAVDA testing;Point,land and water retrieve and blood trailing.Our area GSP's dominate in NAVDA. Yes there are some "higher strung" GSP's but ours are house dogs.They said English Pointers don't make good house dogs either;that's totally wrong.

• Sitka Gear