timex 15-Dec-19
HH 17-Dec-19
South Farm 17-Dec-19
HH 17-Dec-19
timex 17-Dec-19
HH 18-Dec-19
HH 19-Dec-19
09-Dec-19
so a thread on the lw about a town in Alaska started with trad archers are the kind of folks I like to invite into my house for dinner. not wanting to hijack that thread so I started this one. this interestes me because some of the finest men iv ever known in my life never bow hunted. one a multi millionaire I installed carpet in his house he had some mounts we started talking hunting & one thing led to another & we became great friends & his money ment nothing & he never bow hunted. my father was a marine corps aviator & officer & a very respected man. a fantastic shot with a shotgun he won NC state skeet championship 3 times but never touched a bow that I know of. after my father died I spent a lot of time hunting with a friend his father a paid fireman - handyman contractor & preacher man had a great influence in my life. he did not bow hunt. these were great men. do people actually believe a man's character can be assumed or judged by the weapon one choices to hunt with ??? it interests me that someone a trad archer for instance could get so cought up in it that other trad archers are the only folks they'd enjoy beying with. I personally enjoy all types of hunting & fishing. just curios thanks

09-Dec-19
I have met many good people from all walks of life. However, from a purely hunting perspective, traditional archers seem to generally share my values in hunting culture, conservation, and hunting objectives.

09-Dec-19
There are some guys out there that bowhunt out of necessity. Why? Because they are convicted felons and can’t legally have a gun. But yes, they are much more of a gentleman due to their weapon of choice than some slob rifle hunter who doesn’t have a criminal record...

09-Dec-19
I don’t believe ones weapon of choice defines the character of a man. Loving god, country, family and friends are important to me. Trying to live a good life and being a role model for my son and nephews are important to me. Taking care of family and being the best person i can be today is important. Enjoying the great outdoors and spending time there with family and friends is important to me. Although I’m a bow hunter (compound), I would not stop loving my family or friends because they don’t bow hunt or hunt at all. Some of the people closest to me that hold a very special place in my heart have never hunted in their entire lives and I don’t hold that against them nor love them any less for not doing so.

09-Dec-19
I agree with Ghost 100%. I have had the honor of being in remote camps with family members and others from around the world. Over 35 years there were many great memories. Then 3 years ago my buddy and I introduced my former boss to moose hunting...having only hunted deer a bit he became hooked...two moose later we are going to introduce him to his first bear hunt this coming spring. Just loving hunting, friends, and family allows the forming of lasting bonds.

09-Dec-19
As a stickbow hunter I have not found that a person's weapon of choice defines their character.

09-Dec-19
I have found that the die hard elk hunters share some common values and principles. A little crazy but also very level headed. Lol

09-Dec-19
If I only had "trad archers" as friends or to hang with, my group of friends would be really small. It's not the type of bow, it's the character of a person that's more important to me.

09-Dec-19
I guess I’ll pipe up here as I am one of those “trad archers” I have been for over 30 years and I would like to think I am somewhat respected in our Traditional Community. Having said that, I Do Not stereotype anyone based on their weapon of choice. I have found that many Traditional hunters are like minded in values but I think that comes with the allure of Traditional Weapons. Many of my good friends are gun/smoke pole hunters and they are as good of a woodsman and person as there is. A weapon is just a tool of choice. Integrity, honesty and ethics come from within.

09-Dec-19
I don't know anybody else that stickbow hunts, but I know a lot of good people, and some of them hunt and fish.

09-Dec-19
#1 question the bank asks you when they loan you money: Do you bowhunt and if so, what kind of bow do you use? ;)

09-Dec-19
I only know of a couple handfulls of guys who selfbow hunt for anything and they are sprinkled all over world.

Don't think a weapon determines any values or moral character of anyone necessarily. I do know you better have some grit and intestinal fortitude if your feeding the family the hard way.

KH~

09-Dec-19
Sometimes 'character' gets confused with 'common interests'. It's easier to relate to a guy who shares my interests, but it doesn't have anything to say about the quality of his character. The fact that a guy carries a recurve or longbow....as opposed to a different weapon....confers no betterment of character. I've encountered plenty of 'trad' guys who exhibited character, but not necessarily the kind I'd want to associate with.

09-Dec-19
Kevin for the Win!!!

09-Dec-19
What better criteria for determining a man’s character than by what type of bow he shoots...so sayeth the LW snobs,er, gods. Who could possibly question their “wisdom”?

09-Dec-19
Well said Kevin

09-Dec-19
I respect the ability of anyone who can take game with trad...in fact I'm a little jealous of that ability. That respect doesn't mean I will always respect them as a person.

09-Dec-19
Kevin, well stated, wyo bs'er, not so much. We're not all 'snobs', and I'm definitely not God. I just worship Him and his Son.

09-Dec-19
I like fellow archers in general.

I shoot recurves. Shooting in 'formal' competitions like IBO and ASA I've been squadded with compound shooters and always had a good time shooting with them. As long as we stay loose, laugh and encourage each other, choice of bows means little to me.

(I admit I don't consider crossbow shooters to be archers. Not bad people, some friends of mine have been limited by time and injury to those things. But dammit they ain't *bows*.)

09-Dec-19
I was sitting at dinner with a group of friends and we were discussing being "stuck" in the city due to jobs and how the culture in general was changing. One of the wives said "You guys act like if someone doesn't hunt they are somehow not worthy of interacting with."

We all just stopped and stared as if she said "The sun rises in the East." and then everyone had a good laugh.

Weapon choice can bring folks together but doesn't say much about character. About 10% of folks are jerks in about any walk of life.

09-Dec-19
It just ridiculous to think that weapon choice has ANYTHING to do with a person's character. That's just absurd. However, I will agree that in general and on average bowhunters are more dedicated to their craft and motivation for doing what they do is different that other weapon types. Trad hunters have a different motivation quite possibly than wheel bow hunters, but as far as better character because they do? Not a chance.

09-Dec-19
I'm a lifelong trad shooter and successful hunter, relatively new to dabbling with a compound. We have a big archery club here, on which I'm a Board member. I've participated in the big trad shoots and jamborees and have shot with many, many trad archers, good and bad.

I love and respect traditional archery. Judgmental elitist "traditional archers", not so much... Weapon choice doesn't define the man's character.

09-Dec-19
Lou,

I guess you're not the man you used to be;-)

09-Dec-19
Ha, Frank, no - my character has deteriorated since I bought a compound. "Button sucker, Queer Bow, Devil Bow, Taking the easy way, Training Wheels, Cheating", are just a few of the family-friendly, printable perjoratives I've heard hurled in my direction from trad guys who rarely kill anything, but are morally superior nonetheless.

09-Dec-19
Kevin stated it perfectly!

09-Dec-19
Trapper, my comment wasn’t directed towards all traditional shooters. Far from it. However, there are a few LW’s who’s mentality fits in exactly with the attitude the OP was talking about. Sorry if I offended you. That wasn’t my intent.

09-Dec-19
You forgot 'Bicycle' Lou... ;) jk

09-Dec-19
Nothing can be learned about a persons moral character by the weapon he holds on any given day. I have hunted with bow, in-line, rifle, and after Christmas will use flintlock. Same guy just different weapon. My bow is a compound if that matters.

09-Dec-19
I agree with glunt to a point I think that about 10% of people in general are jerks however I think that number goes up exponentially when they have a keyboard in front of them.

09-Dec-19
Lou, that's what I meant and I was kidding.

I always thought folks used traditional gear so they had an excuse as to why they never killed anything. Thought most of them were actually PETA members.

Just kidding again!

09-Dec-19

09-Dec-19
Frank, I got it and laughed! The interesting thing is that highly successful hunters I know who choose trad gear don't wear the "traditional" label on their sleeves. They just kill big stuff. The weapon choice is secondary. Every animal I've killed with the motorcycle bow, I could have easily killed with a longbow. This year's bull and buck were at 7 and 15 yards with a Bowtech.

Those who habitually flash the "trad" badge tend to use it to qualify their lack of success, or to celebrate the occcasional (accidental) punched tag by showing the world that they (finally) succeeded with a recurve, or whatever. I applaud them, but it really isn't that big of a deal if they are good hunters in the first place. JMHO.

09-Dec-19
“ Weapon choice can bring folks together but doesn't say much about character. About 10% of folks are jerks in about any walk of life. “. Agree wholeheartedly! Also agree with Kevin !

09-Dec-19
So, if I ditch everything but the recurve I’ll be a better man..........interesting..

09-Dec-19
I find the quickest way to get a handle on a man is peek over at his bow and see what he’s shooting. I’ve noticed some repetive patterns

Hoyt guys you’ll notice usually wear flat brimmed hats, say things like “sup” and “wuddup”, usually drink beer from micro breweries, spend more time on their beards then their wives do on their hair, and are semi successful though they think they’re more successful then they are

Bowtech guys need the latest and greatest and are usually middle to upper age. They seem to be very in tune with where they fall on the bowhunting scrotum poll. Bud light and Miller is common

Elite I just can’t pin down

Matthews guys are moderate killers. Kind of a cult if you ask me. They all stick together, especially when around Hoyt shooters. Kind of unrelated but I seem to notice they usually have a hard time finding suitable mates. More the fruity drink type

The retro bear recurve guys like to talk about retro bear recurves. Very little killing goes on here, but when it does, it’s small game. Any domestic beer will do, better be American

Then there’s the Tall Tine recurve guys. Seem to tag out every year on bucks of 160 class or better, carrying mass well to the end of their main beams. Whisky on the rocks is the drink of choice, and for whatever reason women seem to throw themselves at these guys’ feet

Again, just generalities, and just my observations...

09-Dec-19
The choice of weapon defines the hunter, not ones character.

09-Dec-19
Hilarious. Thanks.

09-Dec-19
M Pauls, thanks for the chuckles

09-Dec-19
I don't think weapon or money are an indication of moral or ethical value. Weapon may be a factor in hunting skill on average.

09-Dec-19
I must have a Tall Tines recurve in my collection somewhere... ;-)

09-Dec-19
All men are created equal...except the baiters ;?)

09-Dec-19
I shoot Tall Tines bows..I need to let my wife read this.. ha ha.

09-Dec-19
A man's character can't be judged by what he shoots, unless of course, it's when he's shooting his mouth off.

09-Dec-19
M.Pauls hilarious! Scrotum pole LOL. I've found most guys at traditional shoots to be decent people. I honestly started shooting recurves and longbows because of how light they are compared to compounds, at least the ones back 20 some years ago. I've met some cool people at the 3D range near my cabin that shoot compounds, too. Never found weapon choice to make any difference in their character. Now people that don't hunt, well, I don't trust 'em ; )

09-Dec-19
NO problem, wyo....I wasn't really serious. I agree with you about your trad guy assessment. One thing I will say is that I admit I am only occasionally successful with bow and it just happens to be a trad bow I use. I have blown WAY more opportunities then I have succeeded at with any kind of a bow. So yeah, I tend to show it off when I do. I am a pretty good hunter but tend to get excited and blow good shot opportunities consistently. hahahaha. This year I didn't even succeed with a rifle (I passed up a bunch of little ones instead) and didn't get shots at any big ones.

09-Dec-19
For real? No.

I have found that people who surround themselves almost exclusively with similarly minded people do so because they are insecure in their beliefs and need validation.

09-Dec-19
I wonder how many people who commented on this post actually read the thread in question on the Leatherwall? I did read it. I did not find any references to the "character" of anyone. Or shunning anyone. Or who is better. I did not really find any negativity in any of the posts. The Op just wanted to know about the town and if there was any trad bowhunters. Seemed he enjoyed the company of other hunters who shared his interests based on his past experiences.

Go over and read it. See if there is a fraction of the assumptions and judgements seen in the above posts.

09-Dec-19
I never said he spoke negatively of anyone but his words =over the years I've found traditional archers more than people that just shoot bows and arrows they are the kind of people I really enjoy inviting to dinner at my house..... so my literal mind persieves that he is basing the character of a particular group of individuals (trad archers) as beying different than other's & it interested me. & I worded it that way. I ment nothing negative whatsoever towards Gary Sentman = mosejaw

you must understand that I have recurves longbows & compounds I have large caliber brush guns & long range field guns I have quick light upland bird guns & long heavy waterfowl guns & fish everything from bluegill with a canepole to giant bluefin tuna with 130 international reels I love it ALL & view each different weapon or rod-reel as a tool for a specific task & that task is to bring home food I don't get cought up in the segregation of it all for lack of a better word

09-Dec-19
Steve B tood the words right out of my mouth......It is just ridiculous to think that weapon choice has ANYTHING to do with a person's character. That's just absurd. However, I will agree that in general and on average bowhunters are more dedicated to their craft and motivation for doing what they do is different that other weapon types. Trad hunters have a different motivation quite possibly that wheel bow hunters, but as far as better character because then do? Not a chance.

09-Dec-19
Dont know about that Matt.

I have been with action guys and former action guys frim Batt, Grp or CAG my entire adult life.

Purty sure i know where our character traits were derived from.

KH~

09-Dec-19
Timex, I doubt you were trying to be mean spirited. It was a great philosophical question, but it should be asked about hunters in general, or even bowhunters in general. Starting it off by referring to a trad guy is stereotypical.

09-Dec-19
It’s not what you use, it’s how you use it.

Though I will admit that I don’t think I would enjoy spending an evening with people who think that hunting involves thousand yard shots off of sandbags.

10-Dec-19
I'll toss this out too....

I believe we're all individuals when it comes to what we value in character. Humility / lack of ego is a positive trait in my book...perhaps not a value to you. Same with things like respectful behavior, humor, reliability, family priority, sharing and so on. What you hunt with might tell me something about you and your interests, but it doesn't tell me much of anything about those core character traits that really matter to me.

10-Dec-19
X2 Kevin Dill

10-Dec-19
Character is not defined by whether a person hunts, or the tool he hunts with.

Now, if you fish with bait instead of artificial flies, on the other hand.......

;-)

Matt

10-Dec-19
There is an old saying that has been demonstrated to me to be true on occasion.

"Not everyone who hunts is a jerk, but every jerk hunts..:"

Some of the worst people I have encountered were on hunting trips. Drinking, drugs, driving recklessly, dangerous weapon handling ,violent behavior, animal cruelty, loud music all night then up before dawn waking everyone else in the camp up. Generators run right next to your tent or RV while they use a long extension cord. Theft of coolers, camping items and never found or worse yet found in your campfire. Tacks, spikes or glass under you vehicle tires , stepping area, poop or worse. On one occasion I was unfortunate enough to have a flat at the start of a Camp Ripley hunt, near the gate. Once the NASCAR flag fell do you think any one (including those running the hunt) stopped to help me??? Timing was really poor and they damn near ran me over.

Conversely, while hunting a huge track of public land we came out onto a fire break one morning to find a person on horseback looking for the nearest town. We were in full camo, paint, packs-etc. a couple miles from a road. Small town was 1/2 hour or better away. Apparently a rider had been kicked by a horse and was severely injured. We gave the guy basic directions and backtracked to the injury site. With all the supplies and EMT training my hunting buddy had provided care and transportation out to the trail. By then a few hunters with 4 X 4s showed up, transported the injured further out to the main road, then by pick-up bed to black top where the ambulance just arrived. Closest hospital about 2 hours away. That night we camped near the public grounds and they sent folks out to see if they could find those smelly but Good Samaritan bowhunters. We talked a good part of the night at campfire with a group of non-hunters, some anti-hunters and left one hell of a good impression.

10-Dec-19
Definition of character; "the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual"

In that sense, ones weapon of choice never enters the fray. We could argue ethics all day......

10-Dec-19
I find that people of good character tend to agree on Ethical questions.

Legal is the lowest standard of conduct society will tolerate without imposing fines and/or jail time.

Ethical is simply treating others as you would like/expect to be treated.

10-Dec-19
I was hunting with a gun hunting acquaintance a couple of years ago (who is now a friend). I was driving and he asked me: "do bow hunters look down on gun hunters".... I gave him one of those half turns and said: "we look down on everyone."

12-Dec-19
You never treat people the way you want to be treated. You treat them the way they want to be treated...

12-Dec-19
I always find it odd here when I read that generally bow hunters are more dedicated to their activity than gun hunters. I would have to say in my experience the ratio is about the same. There are just more gun hunters so that skews it a bit.

12-Dec-19
"...I read that generally bow hunters are more dedicated to their activity than gun hunters."

I think you are misreading generally. They may be as dedicated to their respective activity, but of course they are completely different activities. While they are both generally considered to be hunting, when you preface that with gun or bow, you change the emphasis on hunting dramatically. By default, bowhunters are more dedicated to HUNTING, because they have to be.

12-Dec-19
So, Ziek...

I know there’s no way to put this that won’t come across as provocative as Hell, but I honestly am curious…

Would you be willing to extend that line of reasoning to those who hunt without sights - or even WITH sights but no rangefinder - as compared to those who DO get a lasered range estimate before attempting their shot??

Because it’s really the same principle, isn’t it? Just a matter of degree…

My average treestand shot distance is about 15 yards, regardless of the weapon in hand on any given day. So am I “less dedicated” on some days than others??

That said, some people are dedicated to Hunting and some to Shooting. And being dedicate to the latter while engaged in the former is Bad Juju.

12-Dec-19
"By default, bowhunters are more dedicated to HUNTING, because they have to be."

From my experience I would have to say that generally no they don't !

12-Dec-19
I judge a man's character by how he treats his wife and his dog.

12-Dec-19
""I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" -Theodore Roosevelt

Huh? By that standard, Hitler was a man of character. He cared little what others thought of what he did, but he cared a lot about what he thought. Teddy, one of the early Progressives, right?

12-Dec-19
Kevin, Ghost425, Jaquomo are right. The people who are judging a man's character by the weapon he chooses to hunt with are the ones with bad character. Worry about leftist nut jobs & poachers not gun hunters.

Ghost425 said it perfect "Loving god, country, family and friends are important to me. Trying to live a good life and being a role model for my son and nephews are important to me. Taking care of family and being the best person i can be today is important"

12-Dec-19
I hope I am a prisoner then of Jesus Christ.

12-Dec-19
Didn't read all these but hunted pretty much all methods from a hand made sling shot when i was a kid to a 7mm I shoot now and EVERYTHING in between the hunt I choose has to do with the fun factor and the idea of success...bow...rifle.... muzzy... throw Alpha males in the mix in pretty much anything and the dick measuring rears its ugly head in some form or fashion what makes me chuckle is the "bow hunters" who never kill anything...like going 10 years without getting anything is an example of resilience or point of pride..... make no doubt about it although I love all aspects of the hunt I am out there to get something...and if its a flying razor blade or a 162 grs at 3000 fps you make your choices and I'll make mine...but in the mean time I'll be chowing down wild game everyday of the year year after year..

12-Dec-19
Habitat for Wildlife nailed it.

True character is based on what God's standards are. His character test(s) is the only one that really matters. Honesty is one of the best true tests of character, both when others are looking and when they aren't.

I believe a few good litmus test questions of a persons character are: (but not limited to)

#1 Do they keep their word, even when it hurts?

#2 When they are faced with promoting their own interests or the interest of the friendship which do they pick?

#3 Are they humble, or self promoting? (I like what C.S. Lewis said: "true humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.")

#4 Can you rely on that person? in other words if you need help are they quick to offer a hand, or quick to come up with reasons they can't?

I am writing these while thinking of a few of my closest friends and what qualities about them I love. Interestingly enough bowhunting is very low on the radar for these guys. Just super, super solid guys.

To answer your question I don't personally believe the weapon one chooses to hunt with is a big factor in being able to ascertain one's character. I have seen a lot of slob gun hunters, but I have also seen a lot of slob bow hunters. I used to believe that the "bad" hunters were the exception giving the rest of us a bad name, but as time has went on I am ashamed to say that I now believe that the "good" ones are the exception and the bad ones are the norm.

12-Dec-19
I'm not sure which thread you're talking about, but by your own quote he didn't say anything negative about any OTHER group, just that he thought highly of this group. You insinuate that he thinks less of others because they aren't in that group, but that's not what your quote (of him) said to me. For example, a person could say that he thinks Christians are good people that he likes spending time with. That doesn't mean that he thinks that others aren't good people that he wouldn't enjoy spending time with, just that in his experience this particular group has a lot of people that he enjoys spending time with. It seems like you're reading a lot into him saying he tends to like people with a particular hobby. That doesn't imply to me in any way that he is saying anything negative about anyone with any other hobby.

12-Dec-19
Just a shame that more people don’t expect equally good character from their politicians.

12-Dec-19
No, that wasn't what I was trying to insinuate. The OP made it clear that he has known a lot of good people who weren't bow hunters, and asked "do people actually believe a man's character can be assumed or judged by the weapon one choices to hunt with ???" My answer for me is, No.

I actually agree with the OP's point of view and was trying to make that correlation in reference to my own personal friends that aren't big bow hunters. Sorry you interpreted it a different way.

13-Dec-19
Kevin,

I for one have always needed help in living my faith better. A few souls are go to people when the inevitable contest for our spirit occurs. It matters to me what these folks think.

13-Dec-19
GF, Of course it's a matter of degree, and yes I do consider what equipment they use when evaluating their accomplishment. But not the way most people do.

I live in a fairly remote area where people still hunt, but which has an extensive road system. I frequently see rifle hunters driving around looking for shot opportunities - not even looking for game to get out and hunt, but shot opportunities. Almost the entire area can be "hunted" from the roads. So that's what they do. They drive around, spot something to shoot at, get out and take a rest on their truck, and blast away. If the animal doesn't keel over while they watch it until it disappears, they drive on looking for another. I've watched this happen too many times over the years to conclude that these guys are in the minority. Many, if not most "hunters" will take the path of least resistance.

Bowhunters are not very different. The type of bow they shoot is in NO way the determining factor. All the gadgets they employ, and the way they employ them is the issue. When I first started bow hunting in 1983, we didn't have, nor did we need all these crutches and ban-aids. My compound shot about 200fps. I shot it with pins in a square housing and no peep, with a finger tab. As I got involved in archery, most of the bowhunters I met, compound, recurve, and long bow shooters, pretty much agreed that 50 yards was about the MAXIMUM effective distance to shoot at game. And yes, I know several "traditional" shooters that have killed out to about 50 yards, and I made my first kill using my 50 yard pin. While my windage was slightly back, the range was dead on. (Range is much easier to consistently repeat than windage without a peep). The limiting factor was the skill of the SHOOTER. Very, very few people are skilled enough to shoot ANY bow, under hunting conditions, accurately enough to be confident in a humane kill when nearing 50 yards. No matter what type of bow you shoot, or sighting system you use, the first step is to make some mental evaluation of the distance. Without that you have no way to point/aim the bow. Instinctive shooters do it, well, instinctively or by gap shooting, or walking the string, etc. Sight shooters relate it to what pin to use. But they all do it. And very, very few people can do it accurately enough past 50 yards for ANY bow. So determining the distance is the first step in taking any shot. It's a basic shooting skill to be learned and developed - unless of course you just skip it, in favor of a high-tech. gadget. Kind of like the rifle hunters that can't be bothered to leave their vehicles and actually hunt. How you use/abuse technology for the end result is a matter of degrees that will be judged by others. And just because it's become popular doesn't automatically legitimize it.

I have never been able to judge longer distances than that 50 yards, and obviously the longer the distance out to 50, they less sure I am, so 50 yards is my max, and then only under ideal conditions. Fortunately, over the years, my hunting has improved to where I'm not often tempted to shoot that far, even though I'm capable of executing shots at much greater distances once that first hurdle is cleared. I have little problem with someone just developing their skills to use some technology to help ensure a humane kill. I do have a problem with them using it to go beyond normal human capabilities, and then bragging about it like THEY did something exceptional, when what they really did was take a shortcut. If putting meat in the freezer is that important, you might as well take the ultimate shortcut, and go to the market. If the satisfaction of providing your own food is important, why would you even want to use a rifle, range finder, scent blocking products, invisibility suit, and on and on... What would be the point?

13-Dec-19
I guess it's kinda like being judged fishing quality waters with a zebco v flyrod. Or a IT guy who never gets his hands dirty v an electrician who does all the work and the IT guy takes the credit. Premadonna's in all fields ;)

13-Dec-19
I would float a nightcrawler down the quality waters with a zebco in a heartbeat if I could!

14-Dec-19
....if the satisfaction of providing your own food is important, why would you even want to use a rifle,range finder, scent blocking products, invisibly suit and on & on ....what kind of mentally is that. perhaps if the words said if the satisfaction of (THE KILL) is that important I could somewhat agree. I grew up living on fish & game my father would say it's not that we can't afford store bought meat but why when you can catch & kill your own . iv never changed. I hunt & fish for food. with bows both trad & compound,muzzleloaders,rifle both short & long range. take the grandkids to the pond catching bluegill with canepole for supper & I'm getting my boat ready to go to the NC obx fishing for giant bluefin tuna next month. with which weapon or equipment one chooses to hunt or fish with has nothing to do with charictor. (HOW) that person uses that weapon or equipment will revile his ethics or lack of

14-Dec-19
range finders ...not sure how they became a talking point in this thread but I use them I have 2 one I use for bow & muzzleloader & another for my benchrest rifle. I have never shot at a deer past 25 yards with a trad bow. iv killed 2 at 50 with a compound maybe 15 at 40 & 100s inside of 30 but I still check distances when I get setup. muzzleloader my farthest deer kill was 180 but I practice to 300. my farthest deer with the benchrest gun is 400 but I practice regularly at 600. again I find nothing that links a rangefinder to a man's character but I definitely believe taking long shots at game (without) useing a rangefinder unethical

14-Dec-19
“I definitely believe taking long shots at game (without) useing a rangefinder unethical”

100%

And without them, Bowhunting would be a hell of a lot less popular out west.... which SHOULD be just fine with most Bowhunters, since pretty much everybody agrees that CO is WAY TOO CROWDED. Call it Irony, call it Hypocrisy, call it Human Nature, but most bowhunters DO carry them these days.

What does that say about character? I think some are committed to the hunt, some are committed to the kill. Probably about half of us are honest with ourselves about which camp we’re in. Maybe less. But honesty is an important character trait, and it starts in the mirror.

14-Dec-19
GF, and some are committed to a quick clean kill that minimizes animal suffering, and we call that ethical.

14-Dec-19
As others have said....character defined by a weapon is silly. My only other comment would be that based on the guys I know that shoot trad, they'd definitely be coming to my house for dinner as none of them ever punch any tags. Lol!

14-Dec-19
Yeah I think it is silly to say that character is defined by weapon of choice, however I would agree with some of the folks here that fellow traditional archers and hunters tend to be the folks who share my hunting values.

People who shoot crossbows, tend to not be LOL

People who shoot compound bows well it’s definitely more hit and miss but there are some excellent folks who do for sure

14-Dec-19
M.Pauls, I left the cult (Mathews) a while back but now I'm feeling left out because I shoot a PSE now and do not know where I fit in. One son is still in the cult and the other is in the Bud Light / Miller Camp. What do you think that I should do or maybe you can tell me where I can fit in ? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.........Bob

14-Dec-19
Faith is some you draw strength from. It does not define a mans Character.

In many years of leading hard men in dark places who carried all manner of weapons and gear.

Leading by example as an expert in what you do and caring about ones character more than ones reputation is key. Leading when theres none left to follow is hard work. Because your carring a mortor tube . 45 acpor a Recoiless rifle We’re all in the same shitty mess.

KH~

15-Dec-19
Hmm, well let's see. Naturally, I'd rather spend time with folks who have similar interests, values, and character traits as my own. Dedication to hunting with a stickbow is one, and generally requires some things in a person I value, and perhaps having that in common raises the odds a little, but it's such a small part of what makes a person who they are... certainly no guarantee.

I've tried to befriend stickbow hunters who soon revealed themselves to have character, values, and resulting behaviors and effects that were directly opposing and revolting of me and mine. We always quickly parted ways. So, can one's character be assumed or judged by the weapon? Not with any degree of certainty.

15-Dec-19
I knew of a guy that was addicted to horns he would ride a bicycle around the Middleburg VA area lots of very exclusive large tracts - acres horse farms & absolutely no hunting well this guy would ride around on a bicycle with a takedown recurve with pins on it in a backpack if he spotted a magnum buck he'd ditch the bike & try to put the sneak on the unaware never been hunted buck. this was over 20 years ago. my understanding is now a suppressed 300 blackout with knight vision is the roadhunters weapon of choice. so a scumbag poacher is just that. no matter the weapon of choice

17-Dec-19
Officers and Non commissioned Officers in the military are evaluated every year or every time time their next level leader moves. They are evaluated on their values and character traits. You are not around long if they are morally bankrupt or of questionable integrity, etc. These folks have paper trails for decades with bullet points of their character and actions supporting those.

KH~

17-Dec-19
"Sometimes 'character' gets confused with 'common interests'. It's easier to relate to a guy who shares my interests, but it doesn't have anything to say about the quality of his character. The fact that a guy carries a recurve or longbow....as opposed to a different weapon....confers no betterment of character. I've encountered plenty of 'trad' guys who exhibited character, but not necessarily the kind I'd want to associate with."

EXACTLY...and if you don't believe it consider the very real probability that the guy that stole your stand or trail cam probably was a bowhunter just like you...just because he has something in common with you doesn't mean he has character. Like most of the morality fiber of this nation, I believe a man with real true character is becoming harder and harder to find. Values are slipping mainly because they are no longer taught or expected...not at home, nor in school. We're in a free fall of everybody looking out for themselves at whatever cost...even their character...and not considering the next guy.

17-Dec-19
Have faith. The Uniformed services produce men and women of high morals and values that must meet high standards.

After next election Potus will clean ip some of Obama’s military policies. Return to higher moral standards. K

17-Dec-19
HH. my father LT col Horace Stuart (HOSS) Lowrey. went into Korea. on the ground a gunny sergeant did his first tour in nam flying hueys his 2nd tour in nam flying cobras & came out of nam a lt col. my father turned down col twice because he liked what he was doing & didn't want a seat at the Pentagon the 3rd time he had a choice Pentagon or retirement. he was highly decorated & respected as I mentioned in my op this man was as good as they come but never shot a bow & partially the reason for the op

18-Dec-19
Mune was in Korea for the entire fight.

He shot bow and was a hella bow hunter. He also was a hella shotgun bird, duck and deer hunter. He lived to bowhunt. He killed first turkey with in my home state upon the innaugral season with bow in 1970’s

He did not do Nam he was enlisted and had his wild fur meter pegged in Korea.

All my early mentors were Rangers or paratroopers from Nam. Great men who won every battle but hippies at home had no guts to finish the mission. Flip to today some of those same hippies in Gvt hug our troops for photo ops. Schumer and HRC are great examples. No couth or character whatso ever.

Kana~

18-Dec-19
All too often when I have not listened to that little voice inside me, that's when my ethics did not win. That voice has been sharpened by family, mentors, trials and experience that has helped recognize the difference between right and wrong. And hammered home by a Jesuit education.

The worst failures are when I know what's right, and chose the opposite.

We are all human, and all fail. Character to me is how we come back from those failures. I hope all of us are blest in our lives to surround ourselves with the people that help during our failures.

19-Dec-19
The mud where I worked, second chances were not for the living. Fight, Lead, Live, or Die with a victory or loss with equal intestinal fortitude. Sua Sponte

Kana~

• Sitka Gear