Kurt 14-Dec-19
BowFly 14-Dec-19
LBshooter 15-Dec-19
BULELK1 15-Dec-19
LKH 15-Dec-19
Mule Power 15-Dec-19
drycreek 15-Dec-19
13-Dec-19
Time for some new glasses. Going to go with Vortex HD. When I looked at the weight of the 8x and 10x they were almost identical. I’ve always had 8x as I only whitetail hunted. But now I’m out west for elk more. Thinking I might go up on this set? What do you guys use for western hunts?

13-Dec-19
10x42 can't go wrong

13-Dec-19
10x42 every time.

13-Dec-19
10x42

13-Dec-19
10x42

13-Dec-19
10s are harder in my opinion to free hand and look at things at a distance. The field of view is also smaller. Buts 10s are nice to judge something far a way.

13-Dec-19
when was the last time anyone looked thru their binos and said I wish I had lower power and could not see as much?

13-Dec-19
Thanks guys!

13-Dec-19
10's are harder to hold steady, but I do like the added magnification. 8's are nice to hold, but I'd like more magnification! Compromise? 9's would be perfect, imho. Not many made and, those I have seen, not quite right for what I'd want. I've talked to a few bino companies about this and was told they agree 9's would be an ideal size, but the market wants either 8's or 10's. Until then, I'd stick with 10's for glassing typical western hunting terrain.

13-Dec-19
Bou when sheep hunting/scout there were times I had access to several different pair of bino's in different powers, 8s, 10s, 12s,. The 12s in my opinion are almost worthless if I did not have at least a mono pod to rest them on. Inside of a certain distance I would guess 600-700 yards, trying to find animals is hard with higher power bino's due to field of view. I would prefer 8s there. I normal carry 10s but I really like to have a aid to hold them steady most of the time. I will rest my bow string against my chest with binos on limbs with cam between them or I like to sit and rest elbows on knees. If I have walking sticks one of them as a mono pod sitting down works well. I am from OK. If I still lived there and did 90% of hunting there I would prefer 8s. Since I live in CO and 90% of hunting is in mountains or on the open plains I prefer 10s. But I don't think more power is always better.

13-Dec-19
10x42

13-Dec-19
I’m going the strange one, I like 8 power. If I need more that’s what a spotting scope is for

13-Dec-19
I use 8×42 for bow hunting & gun hunting in the woods & 10×50 for late season field hunting with the long range gun

13-Dec-19
I started with 8X. I decided to upgrade glass quality and everyone said that you needed 10X for hunting out west, so I switched. After 1 season I realized my mistake. After 3 seasons I sold the 10x and switched back to 8X and have zero regrets. I’ll never own 10x again, though I hope to own 15x SLCs someday for tripod use. I will say that glass quality trumps magnification every single time.

13-Dec-19
8x42 will have better low light transmission and FOV. 10 will have better magnification, obviously, with smaller FOV.

Where I hunt elk even 8s are basically useless in the woods. Too thick, so I only carry a pair of 8x Steiner Predator compacts. For long distance glassing I use 10s. Last several seasons I haven't even broken the 10s out for elk, but for plains deer they are my go-to.

I have a pair of older Steiner 9x40 infinity-focus that I absolutely love. But they are Porro prism so they are wider than comparable roof prisms, although Proor prisms generally deliver better light transmission than roof (except in the really high end roof models) due to roof having a more complex internal light path. Mostly I like the infinite focus because I can "see through" river bottom cover.

My advice would be to buy the 10s, and after a trip or two decide if they are overkill for where you hunt.

13-Dec-19
10x42

13-Dec-19
Dense woods= 8X42. Everything else within reason= 10X42.... Out west for long distance= 12X50, or larger!

13-Dec-19
I have a pair of 8.5x42 EL Swarovski’s. Although great glass I’m going to buy a pair of 10x42 EL’s or higher . Here in NM if you’re using 8’s you need a spotter. I have friends that have 10x50 Swarovski and there’s no way I can pick apart things that they can.

13-Dec-19
I have 8's and 10's and like both. For my elk hunting I often find my range finder at 6X is good enough. And less to carry.

13-Dec-19
I like 8’s better for stalking. They are easier to one hand, although I usually rest them on my top cam. While on final approach (last 100 yards) I like a wider field of view to quickly relocate a critter. Also, by now I probably have the shakes and every little bit helps! And like Jaq said, they will also gather more light than the 10’s. If I’m hiking in, I pack in a light weight scope. 15-45 x60mm Nikon spotter XL with a Slik lightweight tripod.

13-Dec-19
a quality pair of binos, (swaro, zeiss, leica) in an 8x42 will out perform mediocre 10x42's all day long.

13-Dec-19
^^^ No they won't

14-Dec-19
I use 10x42 binos in a sling style bino case. Leave it lower on my abdomen and I have easy access. They're never in my way. Easy and light. I always carry them and a sidearm in an anterior side-draw holster. Seems like that stuff would be cumbersome, but it really isn't.

I never used binos before last season. Now I find myself "checking out" that little movement in the brush 75 to 150 yards away. I have spotted deer I would never have known were deer. No, I didn't kill them, but it was educational recon. I watched a great buck creep into the white oaks and feed and creep back out from 150 yards away this year and discovered a travel route that I had missed for years. Great recon tool. I have to admit if I get a little restless and use my binos too much then getting caught moving by a nearby deer I didn't hear coming in has happened. You have to move SLOWLY.

For spot and stalk I actually use a 10x42 monocular. It's lighter and easier. THAT I have been using for years.

BTW I hunt on the ground exclusively. I don't know if I would use them as much in a tree. One can usually see more terrain and distinguish animals in a tree. Of course things that are obscure are readily distinguished with glass.

BTW I have a $200 dollar pair of Alpen camo shasta ridge binos. They are awesome. I liked them more than the high end glass. Guaranteed for life. I had a previous pair of Alpens (nautical) for the boat and when they were dropped and damaged, they sent me a new pair no questions asked. That kind of customer service always persuades me.

14-Dec-19
If I had pick one, which I am glad i dont ..it would be 10x42.

That's said I use my 8x32 ELS an awful lot. The entire elk season and all my whitetail hunting. I also like to pair them up with 12x50s off the tripod for mule deer and coues deer. But just one...I concur with the 10x recommendations

14-Dec-19
Trial is correct in needing a couple or 3 pair to choose from. I like my Swaro EL 10x42 best and would be my first choice, but use my Leica 8 x 32 Ultravids just as much over the year due to their great size and adequate optics. The big Leica Geovid 15 x 56HD on the tripod get a lot of use around home and from the truck too.

14-Dec-19
If weight is not so much the issue go with something like the Leica 8-12x42s. I've got a pair and while the 8's have less shake the 12's are nice for zooming in for detail.

15-Dec-19
Depends on your needs.if the majority of your use is in the woods than id go 8x, but, if your in open country than the 10x is the way to go. I spactually use a 6 power range finder for the woods, very easy to use and comfortable to look through.

15-Dec-19
I've always been a 10 x 50 bino guy...…

What ever you decide on, I hope they are perfect for your needs.

Good luck, Robb

15-Dec-19
I've got a pretty bad tremor in my right hand and use the tall bipod Trigger Stick with a strap on pad to hold my Leica 10x42's.

Had about given up on glassing unless parked. The above stops the world and you have to use it to appreciate what it does for me out west.

15-Dec-19
Lou I thought I was the only one who remembered the Steiner Infinite Focus. The really do enable you to “look through” thick cover. I had a pair of the 8 power military marines. I loved them! But my elk country is big and open so the 10 powers rule!

15-Dec-19
I have Nikon 8x42s,10x42s, and a Steiner 9x40 as mentioned above. I’m just a deer hunter anymore, but the 10x42 is what goes with me nowadays, (mostly because the Steiners are so bulky). My eyes are not the best and I need the extra magnification over 100 yards to evaluate an animal.

If I were looking for a new bino, I would strongly look into the Maven. I have friends who have them and they say the B series is next to Swaros in quality at less than half the price. Only Maven or Amazon sell them so don’t look for them at your store.

• Sitka Gear