Jim Moore 28-May-20
Fuzzy 29-May-20
leftee 31-May-20
BowGal 12-Jun-20
13-Dec-19

deerslayer's embedded Photo
deerslayer's embedded Photo

deerslayer's Link
(EDIT: I am in no way affiliated with this book, it's author, or website. I am simply a satisfied customer who wants to pass on something I have very much enjoyed)

For those of you who have heard of Paul Schafer you know he was a legend. He also made amazing recurves called the Schafer Silvertip. When he passed, his company and bow making skills were continued on by a young man he had mentored named Dave Windauer. I have always wanted a Schafer Silvertip, as they are works of art, and bear Paul's name. This past week I was super fortunate to meet Dave Windauer and his dad Bob Windauer. I immediately began to ask them about Paul, as he is a bowhunting legend to me, and I am extremely fascinated by his exploits. To be able to meet Bob and Dave and talk to them one on one was a real honor. The conversation had barely started when Bob mentioned he had just finished a book about Paul! I could barely believe my ears and asked if it was for sale yet! Dave just happened to remember seeing a box in the back of the truck and thought it might be a box of the books. Sure enough he came back in with a copy of the brand new book, and Bob signed it with a very personal and kind inscription. The next day I took my wife and kids by Dave's shop, and spent a couple of hours looking at bows, and talking bowhunting. Let me just say Dave and his wife Beth are two of the most gracious and kind people you could hope to meet. They were super kind to my kids and Dave was very gracious with his time as I looked at his bows, and tried to make some decisions on what to order for materials. I knew stopping by his place this was going to be a dangerous proposition, and I was right! Before we left I had put a large deposit down on a bow that will cost quite bit more than my wife will want to know! Anyways.....

All that to say I have been reading this book, and it is very well written and enjoyable. With Christmas coming up I thought it a good gift idea for someone else or most likely yourself. You won't be disappointed! I have no reason to post about this book, other than the fact that I am a happy customer of theirs, I think Dave and Bob seem to be great guys, and Paul Schafer was a bow hunting legend worth remembering. I think it is very special that Bob took the time and effort to write about who Paul was. I hope you all find it as interesting as I have.

13-Dec-19
I was thinking David Letterman's side kick. The little bald head guy! I am a bit embarrassed I knew that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Shaffer

13-Dec-19
I'll order a copy and looking forward to it. I remember reading about his exploits when I was younger. Thanks for posting and letting us know:) Truly one of the greats.

13-Dec-19
I’m looking forward to this!!

13-Dec-19
Thanks for the heads up! Loved reading about Paul’s adventures!

14-Dec-19
i will never forget the article on Traditonal Bowhunter by Gene Wensel I believe (or Brunner?) that articulated some of the stories of endurance and persistence. it was amazing and that was just a magazine article. the book would be awesome.

14-Dec-19

Shug's Link
http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=131703.0

14-Dec-19
Besides being a bowhunting legend, he was also an NFL-caliber football player and an Olympic-level skier. Which eventually ended his life way too soon. Amazing self-made individual.

14-Dec-19
I remember reading his stories in Bowhunter magazine in high school. Later in life I got to shoot one of his bows at bear camp in Maine.

14-Dec-19
I read this when it first came out. Well worth it. Great book on a very accomplished man.

14-Dec-19
Just ordered a copy. Sure to be a great read!

14-Dec-19
That guy was hardcore before hardcore was cool. I've read a bunch of stories about him in the past and his work trapping grizz. Balls of steel!

A true legend that never sought the limelight.

14-Dec-19
Dave made 3 silvertip cubs for my kids. Thier super sweet keepsakes. We’ve traveled with the to conventions and have had The Who’s who of bow hunting sighn them. My favorite Schaffer story is the one about him tracking a wounded antelope somtning like 20 miles til he got a second arrow in jim- unreal

14-Dec-19
^^^ 40 miles!

14-Dec-19
I ordered a copy when it was first published a few months ago. An outstanding read that took two nights to get through as I couldn’t put it down. Any hunter, even if the hadn’t heard of Paul, will enjoy this book.

14-Dec-19
I loved the stories about him. Modest about his kills. He left the story telling to others.

14-Dec-19
DEERSLAYER,thanks for the info on Paul.Heard of him but never met his acquintance.Book on he way.

14-Dec-19
You bet man! Great read so far.

15-Dec-19
links below for multiple tribute articles

15-Dec-19

Bou'bound's Link
http://www.schafersilvertipbows.com/tribute-to-paul

16-Dec-19
An inspiration to me.Had 3 of his bows and like a damn fool sold them.Showed up at his house one day in the late 70s after meeting him at a Mt Bowhunters event.Not only let me in but went over stick bow details with me and spent a couple hours talking hunting.Actually gave me some great tips after hearing I was hunting near Trout Creek and Noxon.

16-Dec-19
I mentioned his work trapping grizz above but that was not Paul, that was his good friend Bart Schleyer. Another legend.

16-Dec-19
In addition to trapping Grizzly's, Bart Schleyer spent 9 years working on a research project in Russia's far east, trapping and collaring Siberian Tigers. To say that Paul Schafer and Bart Schleyer were legends in the bowhunting world would be an understatement. It would have been amazing to see what either of them would have gone on to accomplish, had they not been taken so early in life.

16-Dec-19
I’ve always found it amazing that two men of their caliber would be taken early in life by the outdoors. Life is crazy sometimes.

16-Dec-19
How fortunate they were to die doing what they were born to do.

Paul Schafer, Bart Schleyer, Roy Roth.

16-Dec-19
Is Scott Koelzer still around?Hunting?Three Forks? Bet he's still shooting a Silvertip.

16-Dec-19
This is a great book. Paul was one of the greatest Bowhunters in history. His shooting abilities were unmatched. It’s a shame he is not still around. For you that don’t know of him; this is a great history of a few of his exploits as well as the day to sturgles of life and how he worked hard to gain hunting opportunities. Schaf, Gene and Barry, and Paul Bruner all hung out and hunted together. I use to call them the “Montana Mafia.” If you love true bowhunting you will appreciate this book.

16-Dec-19
Amen. Answered my own question about Scott as well.Some good stories about Paul in this podcast.

https://tradquest.blubrry.com/2018/04/26/episode-49-scott-koelzer-montana-mountain-man/

16-Dec-19
Can’t wait to get a copy of this book....I remember hearing stories about Paul...although I never met the man he inspired me to be a better bow hunter. It is ironic that one of the men skiing with Paul on that tragic day, Doug Betters, also suffered a bad fall at Big Mountain while skiing that left him paralyzed and in a wheelchair.

17-Dec-19
I met Paul and shot his personal bow in his backyard just before his untimely death. He was going to build me a bow, but sadly it never came to be. I sensed a humble guy that lived by, for lack of a better phrase, a high ethical code...

17-Dec-19
Had a Schafer recurve many years ago not sure where it went...very nicely built had cool checkering on the grip. Also saw a video of him shooting a brown bear with the guide behind him with a sawed off shot gun, we were mesmerized and watched it over and over until the film wrapped up inside the vhs . i'm sure its on utube or somewhere by now and I need to look!

03-Jan-20
Thanks so much to Deerslayer for this post. Just finished reading “Silvertip” this evening. What a fantastic book and tremendous tribute to the closest thing bowhunting has ever had to a real “Superhero”. Buy this book and read it. Trust me.

03-Jan-20
To say this is an outstanding read is definitely an understatement...I did not have the opportunity to have or shoot one of Paul's bows, however I do have one from Dave and Paul taught him well. I sincerely hope alot of younger shooters get a chance to read this book, besides bows, shooting,and hunting...Paul was a great role model for all of us. I truly envy all of you fellows that knew him personally. Lastly, if you have not read the book, get it.....You will be glad you did.

s

04-Jan-20
This post prompted me to buy the book, also. The man sure packed a lot of "life" into the short time he was with us! Like the others said above, I would also encourage you to read this book. I'll be passing mine on to another bowhunting friend.

04-Jan-20
Leftee- Scott is still around and lives in three forks. He’s still hunting.

27-May-20
Reading now. Have had some great discussions with some of the guys that spent a lot of time with Paul lately. Some fabulous film footage that needs to be updated and digitized. Hopefully soon...

27-May-20
Man Tavis, that would be a dream come true!!!! I told Dave and Bob they need to get on that! Hope it happens! What a privilege it would be to see Paul in action and hear his voice. For all the footage he seemed to have shot over his life, it sure is a bummer none of it is available to the masses.

28-May-20
I have not been on the bowsite for months. Glad I dropped in. I have a bow made for me by a man I truly miss communicating with, Ric Anderson (Marriah Bows), who learned a lot of his bow making chops from Paul S. Will look into buying this book for myself.

29-May-20
I'll be ordering it

31-May-20
SBH thanks.

12-Jun-20
The book looks great. I think it would be cool to write an essay about this book. At this site https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/government/ many could have found out about it. Thanks for the upload.

• Sitka Gear