Spiral Horn 22-Dec-19
jingalls 31-Dec-19
plenty coups 31-Dec-19
KsRancher 31-Dec-19
casper 31-Dec-19
Jims 01-Jan-20
goyt 01-Jan-20
16-Dec-19
Thanks to all that contributed to my ? On 10x42’s for western big game. Been using a cheap pair of 8x42’s forever. But want something better for a bou hunt and elk. I had set my mind on Vortex Razor HD but have read several reviews of late that say they are good but not for $1,000 binos and compare them in a class with $500-600. So now I’m interested in what you western guys like. Someone mentioned Maven which I’m checking out. And the new Swarovski EL has caught my attention. Any input would be appreciated!

16-Dec-19
I can't answer for all price ranges, but I will answer for two price ranges. I have used these binos a lot and they are solid performers. You will not regret buying either of these. Also, if you buy them lightly used you can easily sell them later.

For $500-1000: Zeiss Conquest 10x42 (HD)

For $1000-2000: Swarovski SLC 10x42 (all Swaros are HD)

16-Dec-19
You’d have to give a budget to get any kind of informed recommendations. If the sky is the limit you’d be hard pressed to get better than Swarovski Els or Zeiss Victory SF. That said I think SLC are the best value in binos especially in 10x42.

16-Dec-19
My Vortex Viper’s work great for me, but I don’t spend hours looking through them, nor do I use them for long-range glassing. If I did, then I could justify the cost of high-end glass. I have a few friends that have nothing but great things to say about their Cabelas Euro’s. Possibly another option to look at.

16-Dec-19
Buy once cry once. I bought the SLC’s two years ago and could not be happier with them.

16-Dec-19
Can’t argue with Elkstabber’s recommendations. I’ve owned and have been happy with both of them. The benefit is that both of those hold their value very well. I sold my Conquests after a few years for only $100 less than I paid for them new, once I realized that 10x weren’t for me. I have the 8X SLCs now and I’ll never get rid of them. They truly are amazing. I haven’t seen that Vortex or Mavens hold their value as well as Zeiss or Swaros.

16-Dec-19
Very happy with my set of Leupold.

16-Dec-19
Nothing wrong with leupold or Nikon glass, and it doesn't break the bank. But if your looking to break it swaro or Leica or zeiss. The only down side is when you loose or leave them behind, ouch!

16-Dec-19
I wanted to stay around $1000. So the Swarovski are a stretch but as stated...buy once cry once! When I looked at the Swaro’s the SLC’s sounded good and then I compared them to the EL and well...u know how that goes, u just keep going up in quality! I like the idea of the low light gathering ability. But that EL price is double what I was budgeting!-/

16-Dec-19
Meopta Meostar HD is your huckleberry.

16-Dec-19
check out camera land of new york I have bought cameras from them and looked at their glass good prices

16-Dec-19
Cabela's Euro made by Meopta are listed right at your price. I bought a pair about 10 years ago and never regretted it. I was just comparing them to Swaro's while we were glassing distant elk for a week. I was trying to notice the difference but it was negligible.

16-Dec-19
My Nikon 10 x 42s suit me just fine.

16-Dec-19

Trial153's Link
That budget I would buy these ...

16-Dec-19
I got some Zeiss 10x42 on sale and have never been sorry.. I once killed a deer because I saw his eyelashes moving while he was hiding in the brush.

TMBB

16-Dec-19
I am the enigma that sold my Swarovski's. I sold canoes and canoe trailer and turned that money into Swarovski 10x42EL's. I later bought Cabelas Euros (they are Meopta Meostar) on a steal and after comparing them side by side for one year in hunting and glassing situations I later sold the Swaro's for $800 more than I paid for the Meopta's and I prefer the Meoptas. I found them to be more vibrant, and optically equivalent in every other area. The one thing I preferred about the Swaro's was the "in hand feel." I give them an A+ and my Euros a B+ in that category.

I always simply assumed the Swarovski is the pinnacle. I would say they are a safe bet, and you'll never be unhappy with what they do for you. I wasn't unhappy with their performance, it was more like looking at the situation and saying OK, but I can have the same thing plus a custom recurve.... so I'll take option B. Speaking of "B" I need to credit Brotsky with making me take a serious look at the Euros.

If at all possible comparing a couple brands if you can buy them both and return one later I would recommend that. It sucks making $1,000 decisions based on 20 minutes outside a store in the middle of the city. I was very happy with the deal I got knowing I would make money when I decided to offload one of the units. It allowed me to do a legitimate comparison using each bino as my primary unit in hunting situations going back and forth as well as head to head test situations. Having done that I feel 100% confident in the decision I made. Prior to that I felt like I had to go to one store for one brand, no store had every model of every glass I wanted to see. Which makes testing even more difficult.

16-Dec-19
Consider buying a pair of used. You can save some decent money. Considering you are at the end of this year hunting season and months until next you have some time to be on the look out.

16-Dec-19
Buy a used pair of Swarovski, they are still pricey but bullet proof. Call Swarovski before buying used to see if they are stolen. Craigslist have ones occasionally.

16-Dec-19
Another Nikon fan, mostly because of the glass and the price point. I believe the Nikon Monarch to be the best value in the market.

16-Dec-19
I have a pair of Maven’s in 12 x 50. I will get some in 10X42 for longer ranges and 10X30 for Bowhunting in thick timber. I’ve been really pleased with them. Mine are their higher end optics in the B series. Their C series would be a good option as well. Maven also has a pay to try and if you like them you keep them or send them back and get a custom pair. The amount you paid will go towards your custom order. If you don’t like them you can send them back and get a refund.

16-Dec-19
There’s a pair of 2019 Meopta HD 12x50 NIB for $1100 on the Arizona forum for coueswhitetail

16-Dec-19
I have the older model SLC from Swaro. I am totally pleased with them. I bought them used, and have compared them with the EL model. Yes the EL is a bit better glass and maybe a tad brighter, but for double the cost, I didn’t think it would be worth it. I could see where an outfitter or a guide using them for a whole season day in and day out would benefit from the EL, but not for 1 or 2 hunts a year. Save the money and do another hunt.

16-Dec-19
Buy once cry once. Swarovski.

16-Dec-19
You really need to look at Cabela's Euros. I to looked through the Swarovski and my Euros. There was little or no difference.

17-Dec-19
Keep us posted on what you end up buying and what you think of them. I'm in the same boat as you. 1000 dollar budget. Narrowed down to meopta meostar, vortex razor hd, and nikon monarch hg. My favorite from my research and putting my hands on them and eyes thru them are the nikon monarch hg. That vortex warranty has me second guessing though, spending that kind of dough, you know vortex are for life. Unless lost or stolen.

17-Dec-19
I always say this about the Vortex warranty as someone who has had and uses Vortex optics. They have a great warranty and unfortunately you'll need it. My plan for 2020 is to move on from something that has a great warranty to something that doesn't need a warranty.

17-Dec-19
I'd probably get a used pair of SLC's.

You won't do better.

17-Dec-19
i was in the exact same boat as you. i had about the same budget - but i really wanted the best on a budget.....

i bought a used set of swarovskies 10x42's EL's on this site - it was the best money that i had ever spent for hunting. i think i paid $1200 or so for them. they are as good as new ones.

17-Dec-19
Depends on the amount of use they’ll actually see and if you really want to spend a ton of money. I have a pair of Khales that I purchased on sale for under $900. I’ve been using them for 24 years and they take a lot of abuse and never get serviced. I’ve drug them thru Mozambique swamps, work them in the rain, and mostly used them in dusty, sandy conditions. They are still good as new. A high quality product just a shade under Swarovski and Leica in quality IMO. Hard to beat for the money. I can also recommend the Nikon 7s. Really great glass for the money.

17-Dec-19
Been very happy with vortex

17-Dec-19
If you want only the best Swaro/ Zeiss/ Leica, Period... If money is a thing, Vortex is next.

17-Dec-19
Watch eBay. I picked up a pair of 10x42 Leica on Christams day 7 or 8 years less than 1/2 the price of Mfg Sug. retail. They were used, but in like new condition. No one was bidding on Christmas day when the auction ended.

17-Dec-19
Olebuck...I’d give u $1,300!-)

18-Dec-19
Outdoorsman's has Swarovski SLC 10x42's on sale for $1599.

18-Dec-19
I got a pair of 10x42 trinovids for $38 a few weeks ago even at full price I liked them just as much as the slc although someone that has spent more time with good glass may see a difference that I didn’t.

18-Dec-19

Busta'Ribs's Link
Santa brought a new pair of Leica's a little early (Geovid 8 x 42 HD-B 3000). I went with the best glass I could afford. Actually, these were out of my cash comfort zone by quite a bit, but I got a really killer Black Friday deal I could not pass up. I opted for a pair of 8x42, instead of 10x42, but that's just personal preference because I Whitetail hunt in timber more than I hunt out west in open country. I've been wanting to consolidate my binos/rangefinder forever and I finally pulled the trigger. Been playing with these glasses for a few days now in low light and in light rain/foggy conditions and they are simply amazing. Compared to my trusty old Zeiss 8x30 Classic's, well, optically there is no comparison. It's like there's a light shining with the new Leica's. Of course, the trade off is, they're twice as big/heavy as my old Zeiss glass. But man are these things sweet. I remember scratching up the $799 to buy those Zeiss glasses almost 30 years ago. That eight hundred bucks was the end of my world back then. But when I think of the hunts I've done and the things I've seen through those old glasses, it was the best money I ever spent. Thirty years from now, even if I am still kickin, I'll be way too damn old to use these new glasses, but I'm gonna do my best to get my money's worth between now and then.

18-Dec-19
I've compared the newest Slc the WB model, Leica Trinovid Hd, Zeiss Conquest HD and the Razor Hd side by side. In order from best to worst is the Slc, they have the sharpest image with the best ca control which in my eyes produces the most vivid image with the best contrast I have ever seen.

Next up is the Trinovid, it has better ca control than the conquests and razor which are about the same but not quite as good as the slc, almost but not quite. The conquests have a little sharper and a little brighter image than the razor. The razor to me, has sort of a greyish hu to the image.

18-Dec-19
Leica Geovid 10 x 42 HDR range finding binoculars for $1699 at Sportsman's Warehouse. An absolute bargain for a top end bino with rangefinder.

19-Dec-19
I have an older pair of Leica 8x42 Trinovids that I’ve been really happy with for years. Bought Swaro SLC 10x42 for my first trip out west last year. The glass is good but the focus knob is kind of sloppy/bumpy. Not sure if that’s common or if maybe they need to be broken in a bit? I’d expect them to be perfect right out of the box. Other than that I really like them.

19-Dec-19

SaddleReaper's Link
Check out the link... it may help you.

19-Dec-19
VORTEX ONLY! best warranty there is! great people and they do a lot for the military!

19-Dec-19
Vortex only....? Plenty of other glass out there blows them away for a similar price. This coming from someone who as owned Vortex Razor HD, and viper models of their line, as well as currently running a Ranger rangefinder.

19-Dec-19
I’ve had a set of Leica 10x42s for 20-25 years. Pricey at first but they will last a lifetime

19-Dec-19
Ever notice when people mention Vortex they generally talk about everything but the glass? I mean other services are great and all, but let's not "lose sight" (lol) about what the purchase is about...

19-Dec-19
You buy what is in your price range and the use you'll get out of them, aka, "ROI".

20-Dec-19
APauls... exactly. An optics purchase should not be predicated on the warranty coverage, more so when we're discussing optics in the $1000 range. Warranty coverage should be a few items lower on the list of important product attributes/ performance specs.

With that said... there comes a point where warranty coverage is probably of greater importance, say in that sub $300 range, where its more likely a user will need to utilize it in the useful lifetime of the product. Ya get what ya pay for.

21-Dec-19
Check out Kahles made in Austria. Mine are 15 years old and are still excellent binos.

22-Dec-19
I bought a pair of 10x42 Swaro SLC used from a pawn shop back east about 20 years ago off Eb--...Scariest thing Ive ever done was sending $600.00 cash thru the mail to a Pawn shop back East :0 I've wised up a little in 20 yrs haha...But...they arrived and have been the best money I've spent on hunting gear where I live and visit...8 years ago I scratched a lens on a rock, I called Swaro and asked how much it would cost to replace the lens...the Customer service Lady told me 25buck for the lens...but...for $100.00 they would replace all 4 lens with the SwaroBrite Glass and go thru the whole Bino...I took that deal although it made me wonder just what we are paying so much for if the lens are only a hundred bucks...They are Great and Still using them hard every year...Good Luck in Your Search...4finger

22-Dec-19

Spiral Horn's Link
Had binos from all the Alpha glass companies over the years. Prior to the introduction of the Swarovski ELs, the binos I saw most professional guides and birders using was the Zeiss Classic 10x40 BA/T*. After lengthy analysis and direct comparison I bought a pair and they were my “go to” binos for about 15 years. Nothing even tempted me to upgrade until the ELs came. Then Leica and Zeiss both began upgrading as well, so in 2017, I set out to buy a new glass - reviewed everything anticipating that I’d buy an EL. However, I found the Zeiss Victory 10x42 SF T* simply the best in its class - best image, color trueness, FOV, and far-and-away the best ergonomics/handling. To me the best Alpha.

Now, at $1k - I bought a Maven 9x45 at an SCI Fundraiser, very good optics but a bit bulky/heavy. Know there are a lot of Vortex fans here. They do heavy advertising and sponsoring (good for our sport) but I’ve honestly never been impressed with their image quality. The Meopta Meostar’s are a great option, but my personal favorite are the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42s for all of the reasons covered in the Rokslide review (link attached). Compared them to my Mavens and the Nikons won out — certain I’ll be buying a pair sometime this year.

31-Dec-19
Wanted to say thanks to everyone for your input. Ordered a set of Swarovski SLC 10x42 today.

31-Dec-19
Swaro's over $1k and Pentax under $1k. I lso like Brunton Eterna under $1k but they are no longer made or warrantied.

31-Dec-19
I have a pair of Leopold's and Nikons. So I dont have any experience with the high end ones. But I like to look thru the Leopold's better, and my brother likes the Nikons. So some brands may suit some people better than others. One of these days I will look thru a high end pair just for a reason to buy a pair, or keep my Leopold's.

31-Dec-19
I won a pair of 10/40 vortex razor hd and used them on one hunt and sold them asap as i have a pair of swaro 10/40 slc and there far better glass.

01-Jan-20
If you want the best either go Swaro or Leica. I would highly recommend bino/rangefinder combo. A lot quicker and easier than having to go back and forth between both.

01-Jan-20
I think that you will be very happy with the SLCs. I have a pair of 7 X 42 SLCs that were upgraded with the best glass just before Swavorski stopped making them. I also have the 10 X 42 Els,, 8 X 42 of Stieners best glass and some 8 X 32 Liecas. I use the 7 X 42s the most. They are sharp and bright. It is easy to find something with them and hold them steady and I can almost see in the dark with them. I take the ELs on sheep hunts where a lot of long distance glassing is involved.

• Sitka Gear