Contributors to this thread:
Timex 25-Dec-19
DanaC 25-Dec-19
Timex 25-Dec-19
Franklin 25-Dec-19
JL 25-Dec-19
ben h 25-Dec-19
25-Dec-19
I'm planning on building a roughly 8×8 with a pitched roof combination deer cooler external Firefox flue piped in smoke & also a controlled environment salami curing room. A buddy knows how to modify a window AC unit to get below 40 degrees. For the deer cooler. It will have racks on the sides for slow smoking fish & salt-pepper cured venison hams & shoulders & possibly some pork & lastly a humidifier-dehumidifier in combination with the AC unit for a controlled environment salami cure house. If anyone has any thoughts, advice, plans, experience, etc please share

25-Dec-19
So is this going to be multiple rooms or one room rigged for multi-purpose? Cool for deer aging but able to use for smoking as well? What temp do you smoke/cure at? Sounds like a neat project as long as you can maintain good control over temperatures.

25-Dec-19
Yes 1 room insulated walls & ceiling I figure 8×8 for room enough for 2 men to move around & 4-6 deer hanging

25-Dec-19
What are your thoughts for wall and roof construction....SIP panels or stud frame/metal? If you plan on hanging 4 - 6 deer at any given time it`s going to need to be structural. If it`s going to be permanent with a slab floor build it like a shed. You can always turn it into one if you sell the house or grow tired of it.

25-Dec-19
Sounds like you're going to use a Coolbot system for the a/c?? The guys that have those seem to like them.

25-Dec-19
For temperature control a SIP panel (Structural Insulated Panel) would be an ideal building material. If it's not permanent, I'd build it on a skid, so you could move it with a forklift if you ever wanted to. If it is going to be permanent, I'd think about being way bigger and then wall off a smaller area for your cure/smokehouse, that way it could be a decent storage shed for a future buyer.

• Sitka Gear