JL 27-Dec-19
Gator 27-Dec-19
BC173 27-Dec-19
Arrowflinger 27-Dec-19
Boreal 28-Dec-19
Timex 28-Dec-19
bowonly 28-Dec-19
26-Dec-19
75 years ago the Battle of the Bulge was being fought where the US suffered more casualties than any other battle in its history. 19,000 Americans killed, 47,500 wounded, and 23,000 missing. I think that we should remember these battles as we enjoy our liberties including bowhunting. My uncle, who raised me, was one of the wounded in that battle and I know many on here have relatives that gave much more on many fronts. I thank them all that served. I would like to invite anyone with a related story to please share if they care to as I think others on here appreciate their sacrifices as well as I do.........Bob

26-Dec-19
Battle of the Bulge had 55,000 British and Canadian troops involved. 1400 killed. Canada joined WW2 at the beginning in 1939, September 1rst.... 61,000 killed and 172,000 wounded. My grandpa (my moms dad) went to war in 1939 at the beginning. 1 great uncle died. Compared to the size of our population at the time, (61,000) was quite a loss. Thanks to all the Canadian, British, Australians (1939-45) and American (1941-45) service members for their service!!! AWESOME ALLIANCE!!!

26-Dec-19
My uncle was taken prisoner on Dec 24 at The Battle of the Bulge. My dad was on a medical boat in a harbor. My uncle once told me that with supply lines cut and bad weather the prison where he was kept was out of food, for both sides. My uncle mentioned to me that American warplanes would fly low, drop ordinance and flush deer towards the prison walls where german guards would kill the deer and provide meat for all inside. I remember his numeric prisoner tattoo on his forearm, my Uncle John was a tough sons@beech

26-Dec-19
My dad was career military...joined in the 1930s retired in the late 1950s...served in the Pacific during WWII and then in Korea a few years later...was lucky, survived without being wounded and returned home each time...US Army...started as buck Private retired as Major. Dad passed 20 years ago this month.

26-Dec-19
My grandfather was gassed in WWI in the Argon Forest. Was in the morgue for 3 days before they figured out he was alive. Suffered lifelong health issues.

26-Dec-19
5 of my uncles were WW2 vets, and 4 of them fought in Europe, from north Africa to Normandy. My wife's uncle was in the Air Corps and died in action and is buried at Arlington. Calling them the "Greatest Generation", while 100% true, does NOT come close to how great they were.

Free people from ALL over the world owe them a debt of gratitude that cannot even come close to being repaid!

26-Dec-19
My great uncle fought at Guadalcanal. He died in 1982 I was 13 at the time but a WW2 junkie. I never knew he fought there until my great Aunt told me about it

26-Dec-19
( continued from above) my great uncle fought at Guadalcanal yet never mentioned it to me. I found out 15 years ago from my great Aunt. He was a great guy but had a drinking problem possibly from the war.

26-Dec-19
I was stationed in Florennes, Belgium in the mid-80s and visited Bastogne Luxemborg and the Mardasson Memorial, and its Museum several times.

The heroism and bravery of the soldiers who fought that battle was incredible.

The Memorial, which is in the shape of a star, bears the name, rank, branch of service and home state of every American who paid the ultimate price in the name of freedom.

26-Dec-19
My father in law passed last fall, 96 yrs old. My mother in law told us he was never the same after his military service. Fought in France, Belgium, and Germany. We still have the Nazi flag his friends signed taken off a German building and an officers knife. Just took my students to Midway, helping in explaining why they are the called the greatest generation.

26-Dec-19
My father was in that mess plus was in the liberation of Dachau which he did not talk about until he was probably 86 or 87 he passed when he was 89 truly our finest generation.My cousins husband was a Sargent in 101 airborne at Bastogne he was on point when the commander sent out the reply for surrender “Nuts” Lewis

27-Dec-19
My father-in-law was in the 82nd Airborne at the Battle of the Bulge, and my father was a Navy fighter pilot in the Pacific attached to the USS Lexington flying F6F Hellcats. Years later, I made my first carrier landing on the same ship when I was in Navy pilot training. As with many of these brave men, they aren’t with us anymore, but it was such great honor growing up with them.

27-Dec-19

Dale Hajas's embedded Photo
Dale Hajas's embedded Photo
My Uncle John. My mom his sister, applied the material on military airplanes for the effort.

27-Dec-19
My dad was a gunner in a tank destroyer battalion, shifted from the Hurtgen Forest the northern shoulder of the Bulge.

27-Dec-19
I visited with my grandfather yesterday. He was in the Battle of the Bulge and he was telling me his stories. He remembers it like yesterday. He also showed me his German Luger 9mm he brought back with him. Much respect for those guys.

27-Dec-19
We can only bow our heads and give that’s to the brave men and women who have fought for our freedom and many paint the ultimate price.

Just the other day I was thinking about George Washington and the troops wintering are Valley Forge during a harsh winter, fighting for the founding of the greatest country in the world and the dimwits we have in Washington today operating on a BS agenda with little to no concern for the US.

27-Dec-19
X-2 BUFFALO `1

27-Dec-19
Victor Davis Hanson posted a good article about the BOTB several days ago.

Gist: Be ready for anything and don't be overconfident. Patton was one of the few warning that Hitler might make a rash move; turns out Patton was right.

27-Dec-19
X-3 BUFFALO1

It takes courage for anyone to face the battlefield conditions after basic training. Courage is a mixture of 90% fear+desperation+stubbornness+craziness with the rest of 10% being God Grace+training+discipline+camaraderie. Without the God's Grace, camaraderie, and discipline added to basic training not one soldier can expect any survival percentage chance. The men who faced atrocious war events do not want to remember and talk about it much if at all. My neighbor died at 97 and over the course of 15 years I have known him he never spoke about the wars he fought. A dark cloud came over his face followed by stiff silence every time I mentioned the subject. We should respect their resolve and appreciate not the kills but their willingness to give the most precious gift received, their life, for the rest of humanity. The combatants (both sides) in these conflicts are not evil, as it is shown in history that evil resides elsewhere pulling the strings for it's own enjoyment and benefit.

If we can accept and agree to resolve an issue by war aggression why is it so hard to address the same issue with less casualties by making it the prize of a chess game tournament or any other sport for that matter. Nations would save the money otherwise spent on military equipment and combat training only to make each one of their inhabitants smarter by education and practice, ready to face any challenges might arise in the course of history. Only a very small percentage of current population would go to war on neighbors, family, strangers given an issue, as we all follow the laws and rules of the land. If we can do that internally why is it that we cannot extend the same globally? EVIL, that is the reason and answer. We all have the ability to control it as we cannot get rid of it all together since it is a built in trait, yet we often succumb to it's sweet foul fruit.

Semper Fi.

27-Dec-19
My Father was a Scout in the 38th Infantry Battalion, the Avengers of Bataan and fought in the Pacific, he was a Scout and lost an eye re-taking Manila I believe. Had nightmares about the Battle of Zig Zag pass and ferreting out the japanese from their fortifications and tunnels. He lost most of his buddies who were other scouts. Never talked about the war except saying he did what he had to do. Found out a lot from his best friend later on in life and my Mom who served in the Marines during WWII.

27-Dec-19
My grandpa fought in the battle of the bulge

27-Dec-19
Truly incredible. My grandfather was in WWII but not a part of this battle. Looks like I'll be throwing on Band of Brothers tonight to rewatch those episodes. The Greatest Generation, indeed.

27-Dec-19
My Dad was in the Pacific during WWII. He was in the Navy and was in the Gilberts, Marshalls and Mariana Islands campaigns. His three brothers also went. One in the Army, one in the Army Air Corps and one in the Marine Corps. After the five Sullivan brothers perished (all on the cruiser Juneau), they decided to go different branches. All four of them came home. I never heard any of them talk about wartime experiences. They put it behind them completely. My Dad and one of my uncles are gone now and my other uncles are really getting up there in age. Those folks are truly The Greatest Generation. God bless them all.

27-Dec-19
Great, touching accounts in the posts above. Glad to be reminded of the contributions of our allies such as our Canadian friends to the north. A common trait of these heros seems to be their reluctance to talk about the horrors they faced, l only remember my uncle talking about his wartime experience on his deathbed many years ago. My daughter-in-law's uncle, whom I knew well, talked some about his ordeals as a POW. He was shot down over Italy and spent a couple years in captivity. He was a great guy but still had mental scars some 60 years later. Yes, Greatest generation and thanks for sharing..........Bob

27-Dec-19
Buffalo said it well.

27-Dec-19
Interesting thread. This past spring while snowbirding in FL, my bud let us transfer his grandfather's oral history from cassette to DVD. His grandfather, whom I met back in the 1980's in Texas where he lived, was in a tank crew over there. He tells the story of growing up in Texas, going to boot camp and then off to Europe to fight. He talks about the towns they went thru, people they ran into, dodging Germans, seeing Patton. He tells his story in a funny way with his Texas accent.

27-Dec-19
My uncle fought in north Africa and the Battle of the Bulge. Like most, never spoke of it.

27-Dec-19
Some great heroic men in the comments above, and many thousands more not mentioned. They were tough, scared brave men. As Americans, they made us who we are. When you hit your knees tonight, offer up a ‘thank you’ for all who have served and are currently serving. I have cousins in Theater now, and I know they will all be appreciated.

27-Dec-19
My dad fought in the south Pacific during world war 2. He was wounded by mortar fire on the island of New Guinea. He passed away on September 15th 2019 at the age of 94. surely one of the great generation. I miss him very, very much.

28-Dec-19

Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo

Boreal's Link
My father in law was all over Europe an Africa during WWII. Like a lot of the greatest generation, he didn't start talking about it until recently. I've taken him out hunting several times in the last couple of years but at 97 now those days are done. He lives at home with my wife and I. He still loves to talk hunting! And, yeah, that's a Browning Gold 10 gauge he's shooting!

28-Dec-19
My father did 1st tour in Korea on the ground then 2nd tour in nam flying huey's then 3rd tour in nam flying cobras (gun ships) he called them. He died at age 50 heart attack got him I was 19. His buddies & him would talk about the good times but not the bad. He would hold up a sharp pencil & say they had this & I was in a gunship & they wouldn't let us do our job. I wish I'd have gotten to know my father as an adult he was a very respected man

28-Dec-19
Ground hunter, I own The Ghost Mountain Boys and have read it several times. The New Guinea campaign is almost forgotten in the history of the Pacific war. The marines island hopping gets all the attention. As has been said, all war is hell, but New Guinea took horrible to a new level. The Japanese were bad enough but the disease, swamps, bugs were almost worse. My hat is off to your dad for his sacrifices, but you must be proud.

I got to know a veteran of that campaign, a sergeant, who was finally wounded on Biak Island before they sent him home. He was in a nearby nursing home on hospice. His body was failing him, but his mind was still sharp. We talked a lot about the war. He even wrote an account of his regiments actions. He could still recall the names of his guys and how they died. He was just short of his 100th birthday when he died last September.

There are fewer and fewer of these guys left and they are going fast. If somebody wants a real appreciation of just how it was, find one of these guys and get to know them. History is a lot more real when told by some one who was there. Hugh Z. Reynolds was my friend and will not be forgotten.

• Sitka Gear