Timex 28-Dec-19
Timex 28-Dec-19
Grey Ghost 28-Dec-19
GregE 28-Dec-19
drycreek 28-Dec-19
JL 28-Dec-19
Shuteye 28-Dec-19
28-Dec-19
We married nearly 44 years ago. Somewhere around our 15th year I was able to talk her into setting with me during an afternoon bowhunt. We saw nothing but cows. Thursday she relented and agreed to go again. The plan was set in a pop-up blind over a feeder in the middle of a mesquite flat.. It meant any action would be close combat. Only does showed themselves. but at 25yds she was trilled. Yesterday mornings set was as an observer from an elevated shooting house 100yds from another feeder, while I sat in another pop-up 75yrds away. This location has the most action with moderate to great buck potential. The forecast was for a rain event starting in mid morning. My prayer was for the resident bucks to cooperate ahead of the moisture. They did as 3 bucks came in as usual and fed, one was a moderate shooter. The main focus was on her, and she was over the top amazed at the beauty of the event, as we drove home she couldn't stop talking about the majesty of the whole thing. She's now talking about the next time and how she can make it more comfortable. She also tells me she still can't watch me shoot something. I knew that, that's why I let that 120" 8pt walk, that and the pending rain. After all these years she finally gets why I love this sport so much. Work, kids and life always prevented us from doing it sooner. The look on her face as she watched those does and yearlings sneak in to feed will last me a lifetime. I can hardly wait for the next time.

28-Dec-19
Very cool man. Fun to share it with others. Lots of fun to come it sounds like. Enjoy.

28-Dec-19

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Awesome, you're on the right track!

Took me 28 years, but I was finally able to get my Wife to take her first buck. Fortunately, she didn't hesitate to take the shot opportunity, and executed a perfect shot on him. She was fascinated by the whole thing, from blood trailing, to breaking the deer down.

She has always enjoyed eating venison, elk, and wild game. It was great to have her help fill the freezer for once!

Baby steps...

28-Dec-19
Good job!!! Anyone we can get outdoors helps us all. Whether they end up a hunter or not. And...I’m sure it helps you get out more too!!!

28-Dec-19
My wife hunts ocaisonly ever since we've been together 40 years she's a great shot has killed deer to 350yds with her rifle but mostly likes to hunt with her muzzleloader

28-Dec-19
My wife hunts ocaisonly ever since we've been together 40 years she's a great shot has killed deer to 350yds with her rifle but mostly likes to hunt with her muzzleloader

28-Dec-19
I took my wife elk hunting....once. She just couldn't get used to hiking around without talking. At one point we were hiking past a large scrub oak thicket. I heard some rustling in the thicket that I was sure was cattle, so I continued walking with my wife about 5 yards behind me. Suddenly, my wife yelled HOLY SH!T!! I turned around just in time to see a nice 6x6 bull wheel around and bolt. He was only about 3 yards from my wife when he stepped out of the scrub oak. That was the last time she ever hunted with me. LOL!

Matt

28-Dec-19

GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
Good stories and outcomes.

Judy has been hunting with her family since she could walk and has taken 7 elk and 15 deer with a rifle. We met after our spouses died when she saw my posting on a web site and said " I see you like to hunt and fish- we should meet". I took her hunting in WA December late archery season and asked if she could skin ELK? Her answer was she "can skin em as fast as I could get em." and she claims she hadn't seen Jeremiah Johnson.

I managed to get a 3 x 4 bull and darn if she didn't take charge of breaking it down and then I helped her cut and wrap it. Married almost 11 years now.

28-Dec-19
When we married, my wife knew I was a hunter, and I asked her to go but she declined. I never insisted or asked again, because I feel like folks should do what makes them happy. Then one day out of the blue she asked, “What if I want to hunt ?” Since she enjoyed shooting and was an excellent shot, of course I was delighted and she gun hunted deer for a few years (and killed several deer), until our boy got old enough to go, then she slowly stopped going to a blind. She still likes to go on the trip, but doesn’t actually hunt any more. There’s something to be said for having your cook and bed partner waiting when you get to camp !

28-Dec-19
Robin has been with me when I took a turkey by bow in a blind. But we have been married 38 years when she finally sat in a blind this past October when I took a deer. It was the most exciting time for me, and she is going back.

Great stories here, great thread!

28-Dec-19
I got my wife to hunt sit with me in the blind a couple of years after I finished the chemo-radiation thing. We had been married for about 34 years up to that point and she never showed any interest with anything to do with deer hunting up to that point....other than eating them. She got a kick out of the deer walking right next to the blind. Fast forward a couple of years later...2016.....and she got her first doe with a rifle. She got a 2nd one the following year in 2017. In 2018 she wanted to sit all by herself. I dropped her off and left. She had a deer bust her when she was playing on her tablet thingy, it seen her head move and she never got a shot. She got a kick out of that and still talks about it. For this year I got her a stainless Ruger Hawkeye Compact in 7mm.08 that fits her better than the Ruger MKII .270. She didn't see anything this year hunting by herself. I give her credit....she stayed in the blind for close to 8 hours on her first day of sitting. I didn't think she would last that long. She likes fishing alot but can't get out as much as she would like due to working full time. She got spoiled fishing in Kodiak during the silver runs. My next hope is to get her bear hunting...which she says she won't do. I think I can get her to try it.

28-Dec-19
My wife doesn't hunt but loves sneaking up on deer in the garden. I have seen her get to withing easy bow range. This spring she was in her flower garden and a tiny fawn ran right up so close to her she could have touched it. She got scared and went in the house. She said she knows mothers are very protective of their kids and wasn't taking any chance. She has blood trailed with me. She was amazed that I knew when we got close. The deer was on a real good trail and blood on both sides of the trail. Then I spotted blood in the middle of the trail. I told her that meant the blood was coming out of the deers nose and it would be in that thick spot about 25 yards away. There is was. She was ahead of me doing the trailing and Ray Charles could probably have followed the blood trail. I was proud of her anyhow.

• Sitka Gear