leftee 02-Jan-20
TrapperKayak 02-Jan-20
Mule Power 02-Jan-20
x-man 02-Jan-20
ben h 02-Jan-20
31-Dec-19

BCPYGuy's embedded Photo
BCPYGuy's embedded Photo
As the old saying goes, “I’d rather be Lucky than Good”. I live in south central BC a stones throw from the US border. In late November I killed a decent buck, with my bow, in the rifle season. Archery season started on December 1st. and was looking for a doe with my longbow. After a number of part day sits I was disappointed so decided to hunt preds for a few days hoping to offset the deer kill. Nothing happening there either! So, back to deer hunting and waiting for some snow. On December 11th, late in the day, I decided to do some blind calling behind the house. Setup and hit the FoxPro alternating with Bay-bee cottontail and Snowshoeshoe hare distress calls. 30 minutes later and zero except for a couple magpies and a stellars jay. Decide to stick to the original plan and stay in the same place. This time I stick with the Snowshoe hare but continue to vary the volume. Wait, and 10 minutes later I notice movement about 70 yards down the ridge. Is that the neighbors dog, no, wrong color, and that tail high gait? I’m astounded, it’s a wolf, I wait till he clears bush and knock him down. He gets back up and I see a black one, 30 yards closer but hidden by a tree, then booking it. Try to get on it but it stays behind the trees. Get back on the original target and knock it down again, shooting a 222, and put a final in for good measure. I sit there for another 10 minutes before I realize the e’caller is still on. That’s what happens when you check one off the bucket list. Lol. When dragging the dead wolf out I hear the other wolf howling maybe 500 yards away. Don’t know if it was a pair or siblings but suspect siblings. I have a trail cam nearby and hit a blurry picture of the black coming back about 3 hours after dark. I don’t pretend to be an expert predator hunter things just went right for me wrong for him. Kinda surprised though how close these two were to civilization. For those interested I weighed him in the round so you can guess the weight. For reference I’m not a big guy. Like 5’9”. Best to all in 2020.

31-Dec-19
87 unless that’s a full belly bulge I will go 97.

Congrats

31-Dec-19
Wow !!!! Congrats !!!!

31-Dec-19
Wow congratulations. You got it done on a Wolf.

31-Dec-19
Congrats. Too bad you didn't get both.

01-Jan-20
Nice! No idea on weight but I'll say 106

01-Jan-20
Thanks. 82

01-Jan-20
Congratulations!

01-Jan-20
Very Kool indeed!!

Congrats man

Robb

01-Jan-20
Congrats

01-Jan-20
excellent

01-Jan-20
Now that's a big dog!

01-Jan-20
Save an elk kill a wild dog.

Great shooting.

K

01-Jan-20
Gotta be in the 3 digits...I'll guess 104#.

01-Jan-20
110#

01-Jan-20
Cool deal bud. 93#

01-Jan-20
Awesome. I’m guessing 85

01-Jan-20
Congrats on your success and for getting to cross one off your bucket list. Beautiful wolf as well! If I had a choice between the one you killed and the black one, I’d have picked the one you shot, myself. I’ll guess 90 lbs.

Curious where you hit him with your first shot? I’d think a .222 seems a bit light medicine for a wolf. (Obviously not in your case. Good shooting!)

01-Jan-20
Very cool...Congrats...I’ll go 100#.

01-Jan-20
Well done. 88

01-Jan-20
113#

01-Jan-20
Congratulations, that is a might fine looking trophy.

01-Jan-20
Beautiful wolf....I`m going with 124#.

01-Jan-20
90#

01-Jan-20
Good job!

01-Jan-20
Beautiful wolf, Congratulations, would have really made your day had you also got the other one. I'll say about 120#

Kurt

01-Jan-20
Oh yeah! Huge congrats Ken! I am sure that was a colossal rush when you first sighted the pair. Cool man, happy for you! Let’s see the buck too!!

01-Jan-20
I would say 120#s and 6.5 creedmore is an incredible cartridge as factory ammo from Hornady is crazy accurate. I worked up 15 different loads and even in my handloads I can do no better than factory stuff. .35" groups at 200 yards with a Ruger american Predator. Shawn

01-Jan-20
Guys Thanks for your support. I agree that the 222 isn’t exactly wolf medicine but you use what’s in your hands at the time. I’d use my 7-08 next time and hopefully there will be a next time. He was slightly quartering and the first shot clipped shoulder meat went through lung and liver opposite side ending up against the offside skied. Speer 50 grain. The wolves are increasing in our location and have seen tracks before but these are the first two I’ve actually seen! For those who guessed the weight, like me, most of you were high. That being said the wolf was completely empty and perhaps more susceptible to what was on the menu - Snowshoe hare. (As a side note I tracked them back a bit and they split at about 125 yards in and the smaller female, I’m guessing, took a direct line to the call and the male circled higher into the ridge and in my view). The weight was 84 pounds and the carcass looked like a whippet. For those closest who went low you’ve killed wolves before and you’re not exaggerating fishermen.?? The best in 2020 to all.

01-Jan-20
Scooby- I think the 6.5 would zip right through a wolf. Last 4 big game I shot with mine, the bullet went through both sides. 2 were antelope, one was a Manitoba whitetail, and the other was a big bull elk. I do agree it is a heck of a bullet. 222 is a neat round. I've shot armadillos and coyotes with mine and it stones them. Predecessor to the .223

02-Jan-20
I just like to say Triple Duece!

02-Jan-20
Thornton, point of shoulder anchors most things that I hunt. Shawn

02-Jan-20
Are we talking Ken's weight or the wolf? I'll go a solid 79 kilos for Ken. No idea about the wolf.

02-Jan-20
Congrats.107.

02-Jan-20
84#... Would have thought more. Trapper weights 11# more, amazing.

02-Jan-20
Nice! Congratulations. Anyone who dressed that out before weighing it would have swore 120. Those in the know shake our heads when people say “He was a beast... probably close to 200”

02-Jan-20
Gotta be "114".

02-Jan-20
Wow, 84 lbs is quite a bit less than I would have guessed. I have an 80 lb lab and that thing looks way bigger. Of course hair is one thing and the wolf probably doesn't have much fat I'd imagine.

• Sitka Gear